Draft

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Draft

Post by BlueJays »

I'm trying to find a thread that mat have explained it, but did the draft start yesterday or are we holding off for a future date?
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Re: Draft

Post by Braves »

It was pushed back to March 1st. It was mentioned in the thread below but I'm not sure if it was called out elsewhere as well.

viewtopic.php?t=13330
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Thank you!!
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Re Suzuki: do we plan to make an exception for him to be draft eligible this year given the lockout if it continues into March?
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

3/1, but playing it by ear dependent on the CBA
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Brewers wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:13 pm Re Suzuki: do we plan to make an exception for him to be draft eligible this year given the lockout if it continues into March?
Pretty sure you can draft him, but if he doesn't sign by the end of the draft, he goes back in for next year.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Padres wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:27 am
Brewers wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:13 pm Re Suzuki: do we plan to make an exception for him to be draft eligible this year given the lockout if it continues into March?
Pretty sure you can draft him, but if he doesn't sign by the end of the draft, he goes back in for next year.
This is incorrect. The current rule is:
Players subject to the draft will include any amateur player who has been signed by an MLB organization during the prior calendar year, whether through draft or international signings. (EXAMPLE: If a player was signed to a contract during calendar year 2018 but had not been signed to a contract prior to 2018 then he is eligible for the IBC 2018 draft, which is held in February 2019). Any players not subject to the MLB International Free Agent pool (such as professional players from Cuba, Japan, Korea and Mexico not affiliated with an MLB organization prior to the previous calendar year (2018 for the IBC 2018 draft) are eligible to be drafted. If the player does not officially sign with an MLB organization prior to the beginning of the IBC draft, they are not eligible to be drafted until the following year.
We are monitoring the CBA and we want the IBC to reflect the best talent pool. We could either delay the draft or figure out if there's an exemption that we could provide.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

I say we just all agree that its a unique circumstance and let him be draft eligible regardless of when the lockout ends but if he goes back to Japan you lose him. Seems more reasonable to me than some date set in stone not knowing how long this lock out is going to drag out.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Clearly I was wrong...but I do second the Brewers notion.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

That's actually a good idea for this year given the circumstances.

Return to “IBC Forum”