Robert Suarez -- ZIPS

Moderator: Executive Committee

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Robert Suarez -- ZIPS

Post by Guardians »

Kind of an odd situation, but I'd like everyone's thoughts.

Suarez has never pitched in the majors, but signed with the Padres from Japan. He was posted for ZiPS bidding like Nick Martinez, who formerly pitched in the majors, albeit for a short time, played in Asia, and then signed with the Padres. Suarez never pitched in organized U.S. ball, but he also isn't Ichiro or Darvish, who came up internationally and turned into a star. In my mind, I see him as a western player who never made it big and then found success in Asian leagues, which afforded him an opportunity to sign with a MLB team.

John is stating/arguing that maybe Suarez should be draft eligible. With him not bringing up the issue until a month after the zips bidding, I'm not sure we can do anything about it, but maybe we need to clarify that international players that are draft eligible are only those who are J2 signees or who are placed in the posting system? Would that clarify?
Marlins
Name: Nils

Re: Robert Suarez -- ZIPS

Post by Marlins »

I do think John is right, he should be part of the draft. But, it's also tough cause it's a month later.
Reds

Post by Reds »

While he’s probably correct and he should be a draft player it’s a month later and whoever signed him should’ve been informed earlier so he could’ve used his ZiPS budget elsewhere. I’m not sure it’s really fair to reverse it at this point.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I agree there's not a mechanism to reverse course this long after. It's really a league effort to monitor if guys being posted are eligible, though we should all try to stay on top of those things. I think Suarez goes to Tampa Bay via zips bidding. Any other thoughts?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Tigers wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:48 pm I agree there's not a mechanism to reverse course this long after. It's really a league effort to monitor if guys being posted are eligible, though we should all try to stay on top of those things. I think Suarez goes to Tampa Bay via zips bidding. Any other thoughts?
I agree.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Seconded. (without quoting, because that shit still doesnt work for me...)
Reds

Post by Reds »

Also agree
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Ditto

Return to “ExCo General”