Universal DH

Moderator: Executive Committee

Marlins
Name: Nils

Universal DH

Post by Marlins »

JP and I were discussing the possibility of having the universal DH being part of the upcoming CBA. Sounds like it is likely to be included, but Kevin Goldstein in his chat yesterday pointed out that it would be more likely they do not implement it until the 2023 season even if part of the CBA agreement prior to this year.

Do we want to set things up such that if the NL DH is implemented as part of the CBA that we in the IBC implement it for 2022, regardless of the timing of implementation in MLB? One issue could be if we get to the start of our season without an agreement in place between owners and players we couldnt confirm the NL DH is part of it. If we want to make sure an NL DH would be part of IBC 2022 season, we would have to put a timeframe in place I think, perhaps if CBA is in place by Mar 15 with provision for NL DH by 2023 season at latest, then we implement for 2022?

To be honest, I am kind of on the fence with this one.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Universal DH

Post by Guardians »

I vote we wait until MLB implements. The main issue to me is teams needing time to plan. If you're sitting on DH types (look at the Mets' roster of 5 1B/DH) to try to trade, a quick push to grab a bat inflates the price. If MLB implements in 2023, I would vote we do, too.

Return to “ExCo General”