State of the League

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

State of the League

Post by Phillies »

I've been thinking about this for a while, but Ben's trade block post pushed me to post this.

I think we should talk about having a mini draft. It's been a while since we've done one, and we have a handful of guys that took over rosters from previous GMs that are ... not the best. I'd say open the mini draft up to anyone in the league to be honest. I think it would get newer guys more involved/excited and should jumpstart some activity around the league. I mean, I posted a block with my entire roster on it and only one person reached out to me. 20 years, let's keep it going fellas.

Thoughts? Any other suggestions?
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Re: State of the League

Post by Athletics »

What would the mini draft accomplish, are dynasty teams at the top going to jump in, I don't think so.

There is no incentive to turn over talent, so of course there is going to be a valley between winners and losers when 1) managers basically fire sell their squad and go all in on prospects and 2) managers seem to reload some of the dynasties with fresh talent while not extracting a significant cost. Therefore, until the dynasties age out, which I don't see happening because of 2), it pretty much becomes a waiting game.

When there is no cost to retain players, there is little incentive to move them unless you get back something you want.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Phillies wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:09 pm I've been thinking about this for a while, but Ben's trade block post pushed me to post this.

I think we should talk about having a mini draft. It's been a while since we've done one, and we have a handful of guys that took over rosters from previous GMs that are ... not the best. I'd say open the mini draft up to anyone in the league to be honest. I think it would get newer guys more involved/excited and should jumpstart some activity around the league. I mean, I posted a block with my entire roster on it and only one person reached out to me. 20 years, let's keep it going fellas.

What would a mini draft be?
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Nationals wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:14 pm
Phillies wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:09 pm I've been thinking about this for a while, but Ben's trade block post pushed me to post this.

What would a mini draft be?
In the past we've allowed newer GM's (and anyone that might be bored with their roster) to throw all of their players into a pool and redraft their teams. I think this accomplishes a couple things: 1) newer guys get to build their own roster instead of inheriting someone else's mess and 2) I think it adds some activity to the league. If enough guys were interested it might make a bigger impact than we think.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

I wouldnt want to do a mini draft unless/until we could get a new GM for the empty spot.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I would be open to the concept, but I think opening to the entire league poses risks. This league has been in existence for two decades by owners building their teams year by year and often building to counteract against division rivals' teams. I think changing large swaths of the league in one fell swoop isn't a great move. If we were to consider, I think we would want to look more acutely at poor performing teams, perhaps an aggregation over 3-5 years, for eligibility. I agree on waiting for the new owner, who will inherit a team that isn't supremely talented. And I would think we should consider the timing to not be done right before the season, but maybe to go into effect at a later date, if we did move forward. While some owners inherited poor teams, others let them fall into disrepair with inactivity and poor decisions. Maybe this would be a motivator for better activity, but maybe not.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Marlins wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:32 pm I wouldnt want to do a mini draft unless/until we could get a new GM for the empty spot.
100%

Return to “IBC Forum”