Cleaning up the draft

Moderator: Executive Committee

Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Cleaning up the draft

Post by Rangers »

This is a tricky time since interest in MLB seems extremely low. MLB's handling of last year did not help and a large number of people still can't watch their local team because of Sinclair. I think that's reflected with a portion of our GMs and is the main root of our problem with this draft and losing GMs. However, we need clear rules and we need to enforce them, so I propose for discussion:

1. We make clear and enforce the rule that if someone does not pick in their allotted time, they cannot make up their pick until the end of the round.
2. Two missed picks means your team is expelled from that draft unless you resign during the draft, in which case we don't want to penalize the next person.
3. I'm not in favor of reducing the time to pick to 12 hours when we don't have an auto-draft option, so if the consensus is that we need to reduce the time from 24 hours, I would suggest something like 18 hours or if we do 12 hours then midnight to 6AM eastern not counting against you.

I tend to prefer not shortening the time (though I don't have strong feelings either way on that), just doing a better job of making the rules clear and policing them and I'll promise to contribute better on that moving forward.

I almost posted this in the draft comments thread but figured it would be better to start a more formal discussion here (I know people have talked individually) and then move it to there.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Cleaning up the draft

Post by Guardians »

I'll start with #3 first: I agree in not making this 12 hours. A pick at midnight means you only have until noon, which is problematic for numerous reasons. Maybe 18, but my main thought is who cares? There's zero going on in the league until mid/late April when we get the disc, so if the draft lags, it's more annoying than impactful.

2. Personally, I think this is a bit harsh. I would prefer to just stick to #1 rather than a nuclear option of #2. I think that missing a pick in the first 2 rounds is a really bad sign (as we saw with Steven S), but missing a pick in rounds 3-5 can happen for a number of reasons (you get busy, the talent isn't great, so you're paying less attention, you go on vacation, etc). I think maybe a compromise:

If you miss your pick, you make it up at the end of the round, unless you message on the board within X hours that you'll be making it up and you have an hour from that point. I think if you're at pick #1 of the round and miss it because you were traveling or have a sick wife/kid, realize it and try to get back into the draft, you shouldn't have to wait 29 picks to make your selection. Things happen. Let's show a little mercy and try to be accommodating within reason.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Re: Cleaning up the draft

Post by Dodgers »

This thread didn't really go anywhere, but I think there are some obvious ways we can act to attempt to reduce skipped picks, primarily contacting people when they're up. I hesitate to commit to having drafting inside OOPSS with auto-pick/queue functionality for next year (my delivery of new feature development has obviously been lacking), but if that's the case then automatic notification of being on the clock soon/on the clock now should be the default. I still think 24 hours is reasonable, I know for myself there were a lot of picks I wasn't aware I was on the clock until at least 12 hours in this year.

Return to “ExCo General”