Injury Reminder

DL Notices and Warnings
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Injury Reminder

Post by Cardinals »

Just so everybody knows, when a player is DL'ed in the MLB or MILB, they must serve two full weeks on the IBC DL. This has been the rule for awhile now and I just want to make sure everybody remembers this, and for the new GM's who have recently joined us for their first season that they are aware of this rule.

It does not matter if it's Beckett who missed one week in reality, he misses two IBC weeks. Ditto any player in Spring Training that was DL'ed and coming back this week.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Last edited by Cardinals on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

This might need to be discussed....Guys DL'd retroactive to 3/19, shouldn't have to be out to 4/15 when they were actually activated 4/6 by their major league couterpart....

Aside: The 2 week DL thing worked well with only 1 DB per week, but if we move to two DB's per week, it could get hairy. (I still want 2)
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

yeah, i dont know what we think about midseason changes, but perhaps the DL issue can be revisted now that there will be multiple databases.. like 2 weeks from the closest DB? so if your guy gets injured wednesday, he better be deactivated for thursdays?

does that make sense?

might make things harder to track, i dont know.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

While I don't disagree with what you are saying John it's the current rule in place and we should follow it until otherwise noted. It's far easier to have everybody adhere to it than to have a few people adhere to it and others activate their players, leaving half the league crying foul. It's less of a mess this way, and it is something that can be looked into for changing.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

So here's a question on a good point Shawn made:

Rich Hill went on the Minor League DL today - obviously he's a huge part of my SIM team for this year. The Minor League DL is 7-Days, but the IBC says it has to be a minimum of 14 days - shouldn't that be ammended, the punishment fit the crime?
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

I didnt think we followed Minor League DL
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

I'd imagine a player like Rich Hill is a bit different then your average bear - obviously I'd just love to pitch him through this, but it would be kind of unfair to the rest of the league...And you can't do just one way - I wanted to put this as an option...

He went on today, so he's eligible for me this week, but I certainly don't want him out for any more time then he has to be...
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Im not sure then..
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

V. Injuries and the DL

1. Players on the disabled list in the MLB are considered injured.
2. Players on a 'rehab assignment' are considered injured.
3. Players who are shown to not be playing due to physical ailment are considered injured.
4. Injuries will be updated once a week. Any MLB player who is on the DL as of Midnight on Saturday will not be eligible to play for the coming week (Monday through Sunday).
5. A designated member of the league will check MLB transactions each week and e-mail the league as a whole as to what players went on and off the DL that week.......

It's always been obvious to me with the above rules clearly stating MLB injuries throughout that we don't use Minor League injuries, Hill was put on the Minor League DL, so you can use him.

Plus, it does not sounds like a 'true' injury, more of a 'break'!
Last edited by Mariners on Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Well then, let's just pretend I didn't say anything.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Wait a minute.....I was told I couldn't use certain players throughout the year because they were injured in the minors. Even if they aren't on the minor league DL, if they are know to be injured, then they can't play.

I had to sit Jamie Romak because he was injured and hadn't reported to his minor league team yet, and he was never on the minor league DL........I just pulled FDLS the other week becuase I read he was shut down.

I don't really care how we do it, but it has seemed to be a bit confusing to me all season.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Yea, we do minor league injuries. As I tried to explain to Shawn L, it's not hard and fast. Kind of a "as people bring it up, react". I know for a fact Bocachica hit the DL in the minors last year and was subsequently lost in the IBC.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

DBacks wrote:V. Injuries and the DL

1. Players on the disabled list in the MLB are considered injured.
2. Players on a 'rehab assignment' are considered injured.
3. Players who are shown to not be playing due to physical ailment are considered injured.
4. Injuries will be updated once a week. Any MLB player who is on the DL as of Midnight on Saturday will not be eligible to play for the coming week (Monday through Sunday).
5. A designated member of the league will check MLB transactions each week and e-mail the league as a whole as to what players went on and off the DL that week.......

It's always been obvious to me with the above rules clearly stating MLB injuries throughout that we don't use Minor League injuries, Hill was put on the Minor League DL, so you can use him.

Plus, it does not sounds like a 'true' injury, more of a 'break'!

The minor league DL stints have always been a grey area due to the short term nature (7 days) and the way MLB/minor league franchises tend to use it to just give guys a rest at times because it is so short term. Where minor league injuries have come into play and been enforced has been under #3 above and it has been rather judgemental. If the guy is shown to be legitimately injured and not playing for a period, then the league has tended to say he should go on the DL in the IBC, if the guy is thrown on the 7-day DL in the minors and it doesn't appear to be a significant injury and is more of mental break or minor tweak, we've tended to let the player continue to play in the IBC until word that he's really injured and going to miss substantial time.

Either way it has been a grey area and was somewhat subjective based on what injury appears to be, whether it is legit or not.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I've always found it hard to find minor league DL stuff. I know last year John Rodriguez was out and I kept playing him because I couldn't find anything saying why he was out, no websites, nothing, just heresay on some message boards. So if we could get a link to an official minor league DL I think we should follow it
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Being debated in the ExCo as we speak, expect a clarification soon.
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

I was under the impression that 7 day DL injuries in the minors were let go, but if a guy had a serious injury like TJ you couldn't play him. 2 cents.
Giants

Post by Giants »

That's the kind of haphazard way we've been doing it, but better that there be a specific rule.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

"Under the impression"? From whom?
Minorleague Dl stuff is harder to find, but when it has come up in the past it was always enforced.

That says it all right there.

"This might need to be discussed....Guys DL'd retroactive to 3/19, shouldn't have to be out to 4/15 when they were actually activated 4/6 by their major league couterpart...."
Well, whle it may suck to not have a player between 4/6 and 4/15 when they are playing in MLB, you were also able to play that guy in the IBC while he was missing time in MLB.We have a 14 day minimum DL, MLB has 15 days.
I also don't see how a change to 2 databases will have any effect on the DL process. DL day is still Saturday at midnight.
Mets

Post by Mets »

RedSox wrote:"
"This might need to be discussed....Guys DL'd retroactive to 3/19, shouldn't have to be out to 4/15 when they were actually activated 4/6 by their major league couterpart...."
Well, whle it may suck to not have a player between 4/6 and 4/15 when they are playing in MLB, you were also able to play that guy in the IBC while he was missing time in MLB.We have a 14 day minimum DL, MLB has 15 days.
I also don't see how a change to 2 databases will have any effect on the DL process. DL day is still Saturday at midnight.
If I DL a guy after the Thursday DB. I'm gonna activate him 15 days later, which will be a Friday.

By rule, it doesn't matter when you deactivate a player, as long as he misses 15 days. With 2 DB's per week, the Saturday deadline becomes inconsequential. 15 days is 15 days. My thought was "if we had weekly DB's, and Saturday at midnight was the standard based off the Sunday weekly DB process...adding a second DB would then allow Thursday at midnight to be a 2nd potential DL benchmark"

Call me too smart, but when I originally posted it, it made perfect sense.

Back to the original comment, it was intended for those of us who were actually in the league during that period. And since we're well past that time frame, it's now a moot point, and I'm not too sure why it was even revisited.

Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

By rule, it doesn't matter when you deactivate a player, as long as he misses 15 days. With 2 DB's per week, the Saturday deadline becomes inconsequential. 15 days is 15 days.

Regardless of the two databases per week the rule has not officially been changed. A short discussion on the message board does not constitute a change in a basic rule in the league, unless things have really changed this season without any notice to the league.

So until its been officially voted on and changed the DL rule is still Saturday to Saturday.
Giants

Post by Giants »

This is correct.
Mets

Post by Mets »

Well, I think it's time for discussion fellas.

It would seem obvious to me that as long as a player misses 2 weeks, it shouldn't matter when he's dl'd.

Personally, I DL a player the day he's put on the MLB DL, and keep a record in my blog about it. I also post when he's activated. In no way do I feel like I'm at a competitive advantage by DL'ing players at a different schedule than the rest of the league. It's easier for me to keep track of it if my DL parallel's the MLB's.

Mariners

Post by Mariners »

Rockies wrote: It's easier for me to keep track of it if my DL parallel's the MLB's.
That is the biggest thing I hate about our injuries, that they don't allign with the Majors.

I'm in 4 SIM leagues, the IBC is the most advanced, yet somehow this league can't seem to figure out daily injuries, while the half-hazard league that Rich runs, yes Rich, even manages daily DL. John runs both the BCMBL & WIBL and has no trouble with daily DL's.

You guys can, and have, whined and complained since I've been in this league that we "can't" do daily DL's but as long as you discuss injuries, and don't discuss daily's, YOU ARE DOING NOTHING, there will always be confusion.

P.S. That little practice run we had with daily injuries last year was a joke!
Mets

Post by Mets »

DBacks wrote:
Rockies wrote: It's easier for me to keep track of it if my DL parallel's the MLB's.
That is the biggest thing I hate about our injuries, that they don't allign with the Majors.

I'm in 4 SIM leagues, the IBC is the most advanced, yet somehow this league can't seem to figure out daily injuries, while the half-hazard league that Rich runs, yes Rich, even manages daily DL. John runs both the BCMBL & WIBL and has no trouble with daily DL's.

You guys can, and have, whined and complained since I've been in this league that we "can't" do daily DL's but as long as you discuss injuries, and don't discuss daily's, YOU ARE DOING NOTHING, there will always be confusion.

P.S. That little practice run we had with daily injuries last year was a joke!
Damn JT.

I've given up on daily injuries...but bi-weekly injuries does seem to be a decent enough compromise...it means you're only potentially 1-3 days behind MLB...as opposed to potentially being 1-6 days behind.

It's pretty difficult for me to remember a MLB transaction on Saturday that was done the previous Monday. Maybe that's just me.

Mariners

Post by Mariners »

I'm pretty sure my 'bitch' session shows that I've given up on Daily DL too! :lol:

Return to “Injury Stuff”