2021 Rule Changes

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

2021 Rule Changes

Post by Cardinals »

It seems very probable that the MLB will adopt the DH going forward, and Manfred is talking about expanding the playoffs going forward, too.

For the IBC, we need to discuss this ASAP as it will shape people's offseason strategies.

My quick thought: DH is a no-brainer, and I think I like expanding playoffs for IBC but my thought isn't fully formed.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: 2021 Rule Changes

Post by Guardians »

Do we have any idea when MLB might announce changes? I tend to not like to make changes without knowing if it's definitely happening, but if we get the sense (from articles, quotes from Manfred, etc), then I think we can make an announcement that we are following rule changes and there are some to consider. That will at least put NL teams on alert that they may need to invest in a DH if they don't have one already.

I imagine in MLB is making permanent changes, they will need to give their teams ample time to adjust as well.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I say we don't change anything til it's official
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I have no idea when MLB will announce any changes.

The DH we can probably get away with pushing off until we see what MLB does, but I think we're being naive in thinking that it isn't here to stay. It's been a hot topic for awhile.

The playoffs I understand is a bit different since it's an extremely drastic change, especially for us. This quote from Manfred last week is fairly striking:
Commissioner Rob Manfred told Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post that "an overwhelming majority" of owners had endorsed the expanded postseason even before the pandemic, and that he expects the format to stay beyond the 2020 season.
I don't think a decision needs to be made right this second, but it's something we need to be out in front of rather than behind of. It will drastically alter teams' plans. Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Twins, Angels, Rangers, Astros, Royals would all qualify in the AL, with Phillies, Mets, Pirates, Cubs, Padres, Rockies, Brewers, Nats in the NL. The key theme there is there are two teams under .500 (KC, WAS) in that mix.

Anyway, I think we need to make a decision by the end of our World Series (end of Oct), so we do have some time. Figure it's worth discussing now rather than later and we can figure out how to best proceed.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Quick thought too of waiting too long to wait until it's official. MLB waited until the eve of the season this year to announce its playoff format. That won't really fly for us.

EDIT:

Personally, I hate the postseason expansion for MLB. I also dislike that, if implemented, it means more chances for me to get knocked out by worse teams in the Wild Card round, NLDS, etc. in the future.

But I do think it's the solution for everything we've been trying to solve the last three or so years. We've been trying to incentivize not tanking and teams trying to marginally go for it. If 82 wins gets you a playoff berth, that's a good reason not to sell off above average players -- or acquire them -- and to compete without sacrificing an entire rebuild.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Again, I think we can tell everyone we're looking at potential rule changes, which includes a universal dh and expanded playoffs. I agree with Aaron that we don't make changes permanent until MLB does, but I have no problem communicating to the league that these are possible changes, even now.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Ok, but I do think a possibility exists that we're pretty far into the offseason and/or spring training when MLB announces changes. There will be a point where it's too late to implement new rules for the season fairly.

We can wait, though. Figured it would be good to be out ahead of this and discuss what we'd want to do for the changes the MLB may implement.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

I am with JP on this ... I think we should state that there are strong indications that real life MLB appears to be on the verge of implementing the universal DH rule and that all teams should seriously consider this as we historically mirror what the MLB does.

I am not as strongly convinced about the expanded playoff format though I do accept and understand the anti-tanking sentiment that JP expoused. I think we should implement it if/when MLB does but I don't see a "roster building" urgency similar to the universal DH by pushing it now ...
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Ok, short-term I'll make a post telling everybody to keep these things in mind this offseason but that nothing is decided.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “ExCo General”