Week in Review

Andrew Howard's blog
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Week in Review

Post by Nationals »

This is a new feature of this "blog", checking out what's gone right, what's gone wrong in the world of the IBC Twins. Theoretically, it'll run on Sundays.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Week One: 3/31-4/5

4-2

What's Gone Right:
The Outfield has been Ferocious. Cuddyer has put up a fierce line of .435/.500/.739 over the past week and Jose Guillen (who couldn't be traded at all this offseason) followed close behind with a .429/.478/.619 line. It'll be a shame when Cuddyer is on the DL these next two weeks, but I am confident my boys will be able to step it up.
On the mound, Jered Weaver has been pretty damn sick, splitting his two games, but posting a .95 WHIP and a 1.35 ERA in 13.1 innings. You can't do much better than that.

What's Gone Wrong:
Adam LaRoche is colder than Brittany Spears' pussy, posting a line of .087/.160/.087. That is no way to replace Ryan Howard. At least his defense has been decent.
The ass end of my bullpen (Rincon/Perkins/Embree) have crapped the bed, although the result has only been to put games thoroughly out of reach. Unacceptable.

What's Next:
The wrapping up of my series against Z's Royals, which has implications for the Defense of the AL Central. Hopefully there will be a series win here, with Billingsley taking the hill. Following that is a 3 game set against the currently-winless White Sox with the week concluding with another big series against the Royals. Another 4-2 week is well within the realm of possibility.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Week Two: 4/6-4/13

1-5

What's Gone Right:
Not a whole lot. Adam LaRoche has shown signs of life, hitting .300 with a pair of bombs, and Mark Teahen has been pretty fierce at the plate, but otherwise, it's been a pretty shitty week for the Twins.

What's Gone Wrong:
The pitching has gone south, led by yet another Chad Billingsley Bomb. 1.1 innings, 5 ER in his only start, giving him a 21.84 ERA in a little over 5 innings this season (3 starts!) is not going to get it done. Rincon/Embree/Perkins have continued to suck eggs in the bullpen as well.

What's Next:
The last game of the Royals series followed by a 2-game series in Detroit, 2 at home against Tampa and then the first two games of a big Cleveland series. A 4-3 record this week should not be impossible.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Week Three: 4/14-4/20

6-2

What's Gone Right:
Things have turned 180 degrees from last week's humbling 1-5 stretch. Mark Teahen has continued his hot-hitting with an impressive line of .571/.647/.786. Just as hot has been Jose Guillen with his .400/.400/.733 line (with three home runs). Now if he could just take a walk...
On the mound, the week has been highlighted by Nick Blackburn's stellar pair of wins and 1.80 ERA in the 15 innings logged, though Jered Weaver's 7.0 innings of shutout ball with 11 k's was also dang impressive. Even Chad Billingsley has begun to turn things around with his start against the Rays...and not a moment too soon.

What's Gone Wrong:
Adam LaRoche continues to sputter along, with a very empty .259 average for the week (I mean, a .296 slugging percentage for a 1B is NOT going to get it done).
Nobody has been HORRIBLY bad on the mound this week, though there are things that can be improved upon, like not giving up 10 runs two games in a row. Bad form.

What's Next:
A Western swing with 3 games in Oakland followed by a 3 game set in Arlington. The Oakland series will be against an A's team baying for blood after their dismissal in the AL Championships last October, so my boys had better come ready to play. I think that a 4-2 week would be about right.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Week Four: 4/21-4/27

3-3

What's Gone Right:
Johnny Peralta has been rather hot this week, putting up a line of .384/.407/.846 with three bombs, a total matched by Brandon Inge who has become the unexpected team leader in homeruns. He might not hit for average or really get on base, but he can hit the ball a long way.
On the mound, the Twins' hurling corps put up a generally outstanding week, highlighted by Jered Weaver's 4-hit shutout of the Rangers on Sunday. When the shortest start of the week lasts 6.1 innings, things are going well.

What's Gone Wrong:
...however, I should add that Billy Wagener crapped the bed this week in a big way, blowing a save and giving up a huge win to the Athletics. Uncool Billy, uncool.
Leadoff hitter Esteban German was uncharacteristically terrible this last week, putting up a .115/.207/.115 line. Hopefully he'll get back to his unusually skilled self for the Twins organization in coming weeks.

What's Next:
A small slate of games in a 5 game homestand. However, it is a pivotal homestand, as we will be battling Central rivals Chicago (2 games) and Detroit (3 games). Going 3-2 is not out of the question, though 4-1 would really help the squad's placement in the division.
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Week Five: 4/28-5/4

4-1

What's Gone Right:
The entire offense. Seriously. A team .355/.420/.538 line is hotter than...well, I shan't tell you what's hotter than that, given the heterosexuality of this league, but it's pretty dang hot. Mark Teahen has led the way with a ridiculous .786/.842/.929 line, though Aaron Bates, in limited time platooning against lefties has gone .750/.778/1.500. Of the regulars, Matt Kemp has been sick, with a .333/.407/.682 line. Truly, a good week to get the team into the black for run differential.

What's Gone Wrong:
Not a whole lot. The pitching has been a bit shaky, with a 5.12 ERA and 1.34 WHIP, though that's merely been average for the year and they had the runs to play with. Hopefully Nick Blackburn bounces bak from a rough start this week (7 ER in 2.2 innings).

What's Next:
3 Games in Chicago and then 3 at home with the newly re-Brenned Red Sox. I'm thinking that the squad can keep the recent hotness alive and ride it to a 4-2 week. Let's go Twins (and hope for a Z slip-up or two)
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Week Six: 5/5-5/11

4-2 (22-15, 2nd, .5 back)

What's Gone Right:
Mark Teahen, in a continued effort to remain on this portion of the report, posted a .500/.583/.800 line--which was actually DOWN from the previous week. Jose Guillen continues to terrorize AL pitching, hitting 3 bombs last week to give him a team-best 9 HR on the season.
The pitching, as a whole, has been spectacular, putting up a collective 2.72 ERA. The best game of the week was spun by Jeff Francis, in a tough-luck 1-0 loss to Chicago.

What's Gone Wrong:
It is a good thing that the pitching was spectacular this week, as the team, collectively, wasn't that offensive, prodeucing a .247/.299/.374 line. Matt Kemp (.160/.154/.280), Michael Cuddyer (.174/.240/.174) and Jhonny Peralta (.182/.280/.182) deserve the lion's share of the blame for this embarrassment.

What's Next:
1 more game at home against Boston, followed by 3 more in the Metrodome against a HOT Toronto team. The week closes with a 3-game swing to Colorado to kick off interleague play. If we go 4-3 this week, I'll be pleased.

Return to “Twin Killings”