2019 Draft

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

2019 Draft

Post by Yankees »

Pick 53 - Drey Jameson, RHP, Ball St.: Drey has a HUGE arm and two plus breaking pitches. He has everything it takes to be a top of the rotation pitcher. Except his delivery. And his size. The delivery is very high maintenance. He's also 6 feet on a good day, and slight, and most evaluators believe that he'll end up in the bullpen. The Diamondbacks aren't among those people, though. They want to give that arm every chance possible in the rotation...and he's absolutely worth the risk.

Pick 81 - Noah Song, RHP, Navy: He was nominated for the Golden Spikes as one of the top 4 players in the NCAA and his college stats from his last two years look like video game numbers. He was solid both times he went to Cape Cod, then was almost unhittable in the NYPL. He's got a legit 50-55 OFP with real upside beyond that, and was far and away the best prospect left in the draft. The problem is that he will not be playing baseball the next two years due to his commitment to the Navy. He came in just before the waiver rule that could have kept him playing was enacted, and, while there's still hope he'll get exempted, his initial application for it was rejected. It would have been agonizing waiting those 8 picks to see if he would have dropped...so I pulled the trigger. Even though he's technically a Red Sock...

Pick 88 - Davis Wendzel, SS/3B, Baylor: I was thrilled Wendzel fell, because he was the guy I thought I was giving up by taking Song. Wendzel had a terrific collegiate career at Baylor, culminating with a monster junior campaign that saw him leap up to a CBA pick. While he looks the part of a safe college bat...he's actually really interesting. He would be an above average fielder at 2b and 3b, but the Rangers will keep giving him reps at short because they think he can handle it. He also has a fantastic approach at the plate and barrels the ball well without truly elite bat speed. The challenge is his best position, long-term, is 3b...and while looking the part, he's not a power hitter, yet. He probably tops out as a super utility type or second-division starter, as currently constructed, but any power development could radically change that profile.

Pick 124 - Brandon Lewis, 3B, UC-Irvine: Lewis has LEGIT 70 grade raw power. He smashed up the Pioneer league making it all the way up to the Midwest League after a big 2019 at UC-Irvine. He's a legitimate plus glove at third, with the Dodgers having some thoughts about giving him some reps at short. The hit tool will be a huge difference maker for him. If he can make consistent contact, he has the profile for 3b. But the chances are pretty slim. But, if you squint hard, there's a Gold Glove contending, 35-homer hitting, first division 3b. Just squint really hard.

Pick 125 - Erik Miller, LHP, Stanford: Miller has another big arm. He's touched 97 in shorter stints and sits at 92 in longer bursts. He also features a plus slider and turns over a change up with potential. He was an effective pitcher at Stanford, but it was his time in the pros that really opened eyes. He rocketed up to the SAL, where he struck out almost 12 batters per 9. He shaved almost 1.5 BB/9 off his mark in college, but control is still an issue for Miller. The Phillies think they can iron out the control, but, even if they can't, the believe he can get back to 97 in short stints and be an effective reliever. He's a lottery ticket, but there's a real universe where he ends up as a mid-rotation starter. And you don't have to squint too much to see it.

Pick 139 - Shun Yamaguchi, RHP, Japan: Yamaguchi features a mediocre fastball as one of his five pitches, but primarily throws a splitter and slider alongside the heater. He's going to have to have a really strong mix of his pitches to succeed based on how pedestrian his stuff is. He's also flip-flopped looking decent and getting rocked so far in Spring Training. He's 32. On the plus side, he's coming off his best year as a starter in the JPL, has experience as a reliever, if starting doesn't work out, and has a 95 era+ in the SIM. So at pick 139? Why the fuck not?
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: 2019 Draft

Post by Yankees »

My draft is done!

Knowing my first pick would be at 81, I narrowed down a list of 10 guys I wanted at around pick 75. I ended up drafting 6 out of the 10 (although one is moving in a trade) through pick 139...which is thrilling for me. I also picked up a legitimate first round arm (with serious questions) through another trade (Jameson).

I'd be more positive about it, but, Song is the most legitimate prospect and he's most likely out for 2 years, so that puts a damper on the talent haul. Everyone else has very real upside (outside of Yamaguchi), just very flawed.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”