U2 3D

Home of your relocated 5-time World Series champions

Moderator: Cardinals

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

U2 3D

Post by Cardinals »

Unless you have an extreme hatred for U2, I would recommend this movie to anybody. People who are indifferent to U2, casual fans, fans and then lunatics like me.

First, the reason I say if you are lukewarm to their music, just going for the 3D effects would be worth the price of admission. Shot in Argentina, as well as Melbourne, the crowd is extra rambunctious because U2 hadn't toured the southern hemisphere since 1997-1998 and they are just crazier people in general. It's definitely noteworthy because the crowd is a pretty solid part of the show and the depiction of it is amazing.

The use of the 3D technology is pretty impressive. I believe it was the first concert filmed in 3D and shot for 3D. There's nothing unimpressive about that aspect of it whatsoever. It legitimately seems at times as if Bono is jumping off the screen and coming right at you, or like the Edge's guitar is going to smack you right in the face.

The sound quality was excellent. The usage of surround sound couldn't have been better, and tying it in with the 3D footage was excellent two. Portions of the concert show Bono grabbing the camera, everything else slowly fading out and then the vocals surround you and are aimed directly at you. It's pretty ridiculous.

The songs in my opinion are obviously great. A bit irked at the omission of a few Vertigo tour staples (City of Blinding Lights) mainly; it was in the pre-screenings but not on the actual movie itself for whatever reason. Bono's voice is a little scratchy but it was filmed nearly 100 shows into the tour, but with a two month layoff. Pretty powerful at times and overall a pretty strong vocal performance. The notes sustained during Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own and Miss Sarajevo were particularly noteworthy.

Effects wise, the use of 3D was at it's best during the war trilogy of songs: Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky. Aside from that, The Fly had the best effects and probably ousted the aforementioned songs.

At only 85 minutes long, I recommend to anybody even lukewarm with U2 as a band if for nothing else the amazing effects. It doesn't exactly replicate of being there front row against the railing, which I have experienced once out of my 30 times seeing them, but it comes pretty close- and as close as anybody else in this league is going to get.

Plus you get to take home some sweet 3D glasses.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

After seeing Angelina Jolie's boobs come at me in 3D in Beowulf I'm not sure anything can impress me.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

It's cool to see someone so passionate about a band.

Never got into U2 due to their commercial success and my distaste for all things pop culture, but the fact that they are Irish balances that out.

They really were able to grab the baton from the Rolling Stones as far as dominant bands with great longivity.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC

Return to “Redbird Roost”