help!

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

help!

Post by DBacks »

my draft is over and it was done with pretty much no research. if anyone out there would be kind enough to post some info about the guys I drafted I would very much appreciate it. I don't have BA or anything like that, so help a poor college student out. I'm pretty sure they all suck since everyone else passed on them, I just wanna know how bad they suck.

I drafted all rhp.
joseph edens
steven edlefsen
stephen flake
evan reed
jacob wild

help! please!
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

I like Evan Reed. Aaron Fitt didn't include him in his top 30 for the Rangers but I think that's a mistake.

Here is Mike Hindman's review:
4) Evan Reed -- 22 YO RHP (2007 3rd Round)

I'm sort of cheating here by putting Reed in this group even though he spent most of his first pro season as a starter. The Rangers want their best arms in rotations whenever possible, even if they don't actually project them as starters down the road. Reed is one of the organization's best arms.

The former Cal Poly-SLO closer had an enormously successful professional debut, quickly moving from the Spokane pen to the rotation and then on to Clinton where he registered almost equally ridiculous L/R splits (.111 / .227 / .167 vs. LH hitters and .146 / .226 / .188 vs. RH hitters).

The right handed Reed has a classic pitchers build at 6'4", 230 lbs. with a tremendous lower half and the Rangers worked with him at fall instructs to use that big body generate more power. Though pre-draft scouting reports had him dealing 90-96 mph cheese, it's likely that he'll reach the upper end of that span more consistently as he becomes more comfortable with his delivery and stops throwing across his body.

Reed also throws a slider and is developing a changeup, but has a long ways to go with that offering.

Reed did not allow a dinger in 2007 -- either at Clinton, Spokane or Cal Poly-SLO. He figures to open the season in the Bakersfield rotation where his homerless streak will likely come to an end in short order.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

This is the BA write-up for Jacob Wild when they named him to the Arizona League Top 20 Prospects:

Jake Wild, rhp, Mariners
B-T: R-R Ht: 6-5 Wt: 195 Age: 23 Drafted: Mariners '07 (26)

Wild turned 23 in August, making him an old man in the AZL. Still, he has a chance to be more than an organizational soldier because he has a big, projectable, athletic frame and he's relatively inexperienced for his age. He pitched just three innings in high school and got hammered as a senior at Pacific, posting a 7.07 ERA.

Against wood bats in Arizona, Wild went wild, ranking second in the league in ERA (1.88). He struck out 14 batters and won the league championship game.

Wild throws downhill with a fastball that ranges from 87-92 mph and touches 93. He pitches downhill despite a lower three-quarters arm slot that gives his fastball some sink and induces groundballs. He also throws a slider, changeup and splitters

"He's tough," Mariners pitching coach Chris Sinacori said. "He hit his spots with his fastball and knew what to do to get outs. He's going to have to be pushed, but I think he's up to it."

G GS W L SV ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
17 4 3 1 2 1.88 48 33 11 10 2 14 62 .199

Return to “The Cub Hub”