October 2007 Trades

Here you will find a history of approved trades.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Tigers wrote:I don't want to speak out of turn, being on the TRC and all, but I was very close to vetoing this deal. If you guys think that it's bad enough to overturn, someone should challenge it and just see how the league votes. I definitely thought it was a bad deal, just didn't quite conclude that it was veto bad. Very close to that though, however you look at it.
Speaking as another TRC member, I was also close to vetoing this but since surgery was still an option rather then a sure thing I decided to approve it as a "Risk inherent" trade that the Indians GM decided to pursue.

Otsuka, who had 32 saves in 2006 before the Rangers signed Eric Gagne, missed half of the 2007 season because of a forearm/elbow injury. He ended this season on the 60-day disabled list after going 2-1 with a 2.51 ERA and four saves in 34 appearances. He is an injury-risk sleeper and a risk worth taking when the top 20 or so closers are not available. A third opinion on Otsuka's elbow injury turned out to be much like the first two assessments. Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., told the Dallas Morning News Wednesday that there is no significant structural damage in Otsuka's elbow, but there is "wear and tear." Otsuka, who hasn't pitched since July 1, could opt to continue resting the elbow. Or he could choose to undergo surgery. Dr. Andrews said that surgery would be a minor cleanup operation, and could have Otsuka ready for the beginning of the 2008 season. Otsuka is expected to return to the Rangers Spring Training facility in Surprise, Ariz., to resume throwing.

That is a compilation of different notes and opinions I read ... The following is from Evan Grant, who along with Jamey Newberg, probably covers the Rangers as close as anyone:

Q: The lack of news surrounding Akinori Otsuka's condition is disturbing. Are you hearing anything? Do you think he will pitch again for the Rangers?

Bill, Dallas

GRANT: The latest plan is for Akinori Otsuka to start a throwing program in late October. If he still feels pain when he tries to throw, I think it will be inevitable that he'll undergo surgery. And when you are talking about a nearly 36-year-old pitcher who logged an awful lot of innings in Japan, we are probably talking about Tommy John surgery. If so, he'll be lost to the Rangers for all of 2008, and the start of 2009 (when he would be 37) wouldn't be any guarantee either.

If that's the case, I think it's unlikely the Rangers would tender him a contract for 2008. That would allow Otsuka to become a free agent. The Rangers could still sign him, and for less than the $3 million he made this season. But he'd also be free to negotiate with other teams.

Gut instinct is that guys who go this long trying to rehab something usually need a surgical procedure to fix it. Rest alone will not help.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/ ... e4e2a.html

Bottom line: Put it up to a league-wide vote if want. I agree that Rodney for Maine is not a good trade but Otsuka and Rodney is not a bad trade if Otsuka does not have to have surgery ... I am not second guessing my final vote on this trade nor will I feel bad if the league does ...
Reds

Post by Reds »

I saw the deal and did not like it but I needed to think more on it before voting. Before I could vote it went through, but I was leaning towards a veto at that time because of the newbie factor, the injury, and the value of good starting pitching in the IBC.
Last edited by Reds on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

It's been my assessment that if the Rangers really thought he needed TJ, they would have put him under the knife in August, to give him a chance to get back in a year.

I don't think the league can vote on a trade based on speculation. Last year I dealt for Juan Uribe while everyone thought he was going to prison. Nobody said anything, he wound up playing, and I had a SS. The year before I dealt for Urbina, and got burnt.

As of right now, it's a Closer and an 8th inning guy for a 3rd starter. Nothing more.

I happened to know the Indians GM from another league, this isn't his first go around either.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

It's clear it's a vote - just throw it up there - I would have vetoed this one as well...
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Rockies wrote:It's been my assessment that if the Rangers really thought he needed TJ, they would have put him under the knife in August, to give him a chance to get back in a year.

Actually, more often than not it is the players decision whether or not he wants to have surgery or wants to try and rehab.

Especially a player who doesn't have a guaranteed contract for next season, so odds are, at his age and not having a guaranteed contract, Otsuka is doing everything he can to avoid surgery at this point, until it becomes his last option.

When it comes to a 36 year old closer, who hasn't pitched since July 1 and the last time he tried to throw, was still feeling pain....the league should logically discount the players value, especially when he's the key piece of a trade for a new GM"s best starting pitcher.

And its not even like the new GM is getting a young player who could recover and still be a quality piece of his roster in a year or two. As others have said. It should be put to a league vote and then whatever happens, happens.
Last edited by Tigers on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

RedSox/Tigers Trade Approved

Post by Dodgers »

Tigers trade<br>
Cristian 0-Santana, Vernon Wells, , , , , , <br>to RedSox for<br>
J.D. Drew, , , , , , ,
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

I understand the league rules and if this goes to a league vote then so be it, I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

However, I did my due diligence regarding Otsuta and realize the risk in acquiring him.

As far as the "newbie" factor, this is not my first SIM league. I took over as GM for the Giants in the IYFBL last winter and turned a 100-loss team into a team which was eliminated from the playoffs on the final day of the season. I understand this league is more competitive, but there is no newbie factor to be considered here.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

There is always a newbie factor with new GM's. There are two potential issue, the first being experience. You have some, this is good. The second is commitment to the league, this is something we have to also be careful with, a new GM who has a couple questionable trades turn sour a couple months down the line stands a good chance of being the next GM we have to find a replacement for when he loses interest.
All new GM's get the newbie factor, no exceptions.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Let me just say this about the "newbie", when he commited to the league, he commited LONG TERM. I wanted Kelly in last year, but he did not want in (knowing all about the IBC) until he could commit long term. So, I don't care how anybody votes on this deal, I just want to assure everyone that -that should not be a consideration in your vote. The only way Kelly would leave this league would have to be by force. 8)
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

DBacks wrote:Let me just say this about the "newbie", when he commited to the league, he commited LONG TERM. I wanted Kelly in last year, but he did not want in (knowing all about the IBC) until he could commit long term. So, I don't care how anybody votes on this deal, I just want to assure everyone that -that should not be a consideration in your vote. The only way Kelly would leave this league would have to be by force. 8)
That's all well and good. the unfortunate fact is though, we have a high turnover rate on newbies, heck, two of the guys that joined with Kelly are already gone. The newbie trade rule is there for a reason and exceptions should not be made for anyone.
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

I understand new GMs have to establish themselves when joining a league, and I wasn't trying to imply that I should receive different treatment that any other new GM would receive. I understand the reasoning in newer GMs being under more scrutiny.

That being said, to Jag's point, every time there has been an opening in this league for the past year Jag has tried to recruit me. I had always respectfully declined as I didn't feel it would be in the best interest of any league to have a GM who couldn't give 100%. After having success in the IYFBL, I wanted a bigger challenge, which I can see this will be after just a few weeks in feeling things out here. I'd like to be able to run my team as I see fit to accomplish my goals, but will respect the opinions of all if the trade is overturned.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

i remember when i 1st came into the league i traded ryan braun and price fielder in the same deal.....oops
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Brewers wrote:i remember when i 1st came into the league i traded ryan braun and price fielder in the same deal.....oops
And that didn't get KO'd?!?
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Astros trade<br>
Neil 0-Walker, Lance Berkman, Josh Fields, Jered Weaver, Brad Hawpe, , , <br>to Brewers for<br>
Rich Harden, Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Tom Gordon

nobody really said anything
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

not like Braun and Fielder were any good in the bigs at that point, braun wsa still in the minors and prince still hadn't broken out yet. i still dont think that's an awful deal given the time frame.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

prob right
Dodgers
Site Admin

Mets/Phillies Trade Approved

Post by Dodgers »

Phillies trade<br>
Matt Capps, Jose Bautista, , , , , , <br>to Mets for<br>
Hank Blalock, Jamie Moyer, Jason Kubel, , , , ,
Dodgers
Site Admin

Royals/Yankees Trade Approved

Post by Dodgers »

Yankees trade<br>
Fausto Carmona, 2007 Draft, Pick 87, Chone Figgins, , , , , <br>to Royals for<br>
Scott Kazmir, 2007 Draft, Pick 11, Sean Casey, , , , ,

Return to “Trade Approvals”