Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Sean Rodriguez, to RedSox for Harold 11-Ramirez,

This trade will be completed when draft picks hit...so stay tuned on that end.

With Barmes down, Sean Rod provides Pat some cover as an av ss. He also plays 1b/2b at vg, and 3b/lf/rf at av, alongside a 120 ops+ is some pretty freaking good value.

Harold Ramirez was someone I've asked about for a long time. He won't be 20 until September, was someone BP shined a light on last off-season, and has delivered in his first season of pro ball. He's a plus athlete, should end up an above average LF, and has a plus hit tool. The power tool is developing, but is lagging behind, which hurts his profile a little.

I gave up a trio of solid prospects to get Sean Rod, so I'm glad he played up to his ability and I got good value of the deal. The rest of the value? You'll see...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates trades David Phelps, Pirates Draft Pick 1, to Nationals for J.D. Martinez, Vaughn 13-Bryan, Nationals Draft Pick 3,

This completes my previous trade with JP where I sent over Kaz and got back ChiChi and Lake. Martinez continues to absolutely rake. It will be interesting to see what happens when the league makes adjustments in forcing JD to swing, but so far so good on all of that. Bryan is a high-end athlete who has a very intriguing, but raw skill set.

Phelps is a solid if unspectacular arm who has been a good value for the Yanks when he throws. Getting a first in this deep draft is a very good value on top of ChiChi and Lake.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Collin McHugh, to RedSox for Ryne 13-Stanek, RedSox Draft Pick 2,

This completes the Sean Rodriguez and Harold Ramirez trade. SRod's av ss play helps Pat in the absence of Barmes, and his positional versatility and power will be a huge help going forward. McHugh looks like a strong arm who'll sit in the middle of the Astros rotation for years.

I've already written about my excitement for Ramirez, I'm also very excited for Stanek as well. He was a first round pick a year ago, has flashed top-end stuff, and already been promoted to HA. There's TJ in his past, but he's got a bright future. The 2nd round pick, though at the back end, features big value in what promises to be a very deep draft.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Daniel Hudson, Jose Ramirez, Addison Russell, Nationals Draft Pick 4, Nationals Draft Pick 5, to Giants for Hak-Ju Lee, Michael A. Taylor, Trevor Bauer, Matt Wisler, Reese 13-McGuire, Giants Draft Pick 1, Giants Draft Pick 5,

So this is a huge trade. Hudson has good sim value, will pitch this year, and there's certainly some hope going forward. Jose Ramirez is a big arm who's bullpen full time, but could be an 8th inning arm. The obvious prize here is Russell, who is one of the top prospects in the game. He'll stay at ss, features a plus hit tool, a plus power tool, and will be an average ss. He's a huge loss.

The return, for me, was too big to pass up, though. The first round pick will be in the 6-12 range, which is very big value in this draft. Matt Wisler and Reese McGuire were two prospects that killed me to move, so I'm so excited to have them back. Wisler will fit snugly into a mid-rotation spot for a long time in SD, and McGuire is a plus-plus fielding catcher who still has very good upside with his bat. Michael Taylor is having a monster breakout season in AA. He is one of the most dynamic power/speed combo players in the minors, and features well above average defense on top. His swing and miss may keep him from his All-Star ceiling, but it doesn't keep away his realistic role as a first division, potential gold glove winning starting cf.

The biggest prize for me is Bauer. He stuff has completely returned from his down year last year, and he's had strong success at both AAA and MLB this year. He's a true top of the rotation talent, and at just 23, I'm certainly hoping that's the case...you know, because I gave up Russell.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Hak-Ju Lee, Delino DeShields, Marco 13-Gonzales, RedSox Draft Pick 2, to Astros for Manny Banuelos, Sean 10-Coyle, Daniel 12-Robertson,

This trade was physically painful for both Nate and I. For me, I think Marco Gonzales is a mid-rotation starter for years in STL. He's already at MLB level, and he has solid stuff for a lefty. Lee features excellent defense and should bounce back next year with the stick. Deshields lost value for me on his move to cf, but he's still a pretty dynamic player. I think this draft runs 100 players strong, so a pick at 55-60 is still very good.

I'm strong at pitcher. I'm weak at mif. Banuelos to me is a sim eligible player and a lottery ticket. He's being held on kid gloves this year after his injuries, but he has flashed good stuff and is still only 23.

Coyle and Robertson are the big prizes. Coyle takes a huge hack for a little man, and that has drawn a ton of comps to Pedroia in the Red Sox system...which is totally unfair. However he has absolutely trashed AA this year, and flashed all the plus tools that put that comp out there in the first place. He is injury prone based on his all out style, but he also has 31 ebh's in 217 ab's...which is crazy for a 2b. He's my lottery ticket at 2b with La Stella as a terrific floor. Robertson is the player that physically hurt Nate. He has a tremendous approach at the plate, developing power, and the potential for a plus hit tool. He will absolutely be an up the middle player, and the A's believe that will be at ss. So much so that they mentioned him alongside the Russell trade. That's a lot of pressure because most other scouts don't feel that way. If he stays at ss, he can be a well above average player. If he plays 2b, I still think his floor is a first division starter.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Nationals Draft Pick 1, to Royals for Arismendy Alcantara, Christian Walker, Royals Draft Pick 1,

So if you're not too familiar...this is the 1st pick of the draft. Surprisingly, this trade came together quickly.

What am I giving up? Most likely either Carlos Rodon or Kyle Schwarber. Both are absolutely difference makers in an organization...but are they game changers? Certainly remains to be seen.

Christian Walker was drafted as a strong hitter who has grown into his power. Vogelbach is the hero for me at 1b, but Walker provides some very interesting insurance. Alcantara had 46 ebh's and 21 sb's in 335 AAA ab's, before getting off to a very strong start at the MLB level. He's a dynamic up the middle player at all of 2b, ss, and cf. He's turned himself into a top 35 prospect...even as high as top 20 in some publications. Allowing myself to keep 4 picks in the top 31 of draft that is not as high end as it is deep was important in this trade as well...but check back when Schwarber is a .300/.400/.500 hitter, I might be singing a different song.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Andrew Susac, Tommy la Stella, Giants Draft Pick 5, to Mariners for Dellin Betances, Tony Sanchez, Mariners Draft Pick 3,

So I was not going to do this trade until Derek Jeter doubled. Then I remembered what the hell is the point of being in a simulation fantasy baseball league if you can't get the players that you want to root for?

I'm giving up a terrific and underrated catching prospect Andrew Susac. He's not plus defensively, but he's average. He does feature good power for a catcher and a very discerning eye. Tommy La Stella features an empty bat, but it's a heck of an empty bat. He'll be a .300 hitter at the MLB level for many years, and plays an adequate 2b. Both he and Susac became a bit surplus to means when McCann, McGuire, Coyle, and Alcantara all arrived on the scene.

The pick will jump me up about 60 picks, giving me 5 picks in the first 65 picks of a draft that I believe runs close to 90 strong. That will be a very fun influx of talent in January. Tony Sanchez is still a catcher that features some pop, some defense, and some obp. He's not the player who was picked at the top of the draft, but he should find his way on to the field for a second division team.

The player I coveted was Dellin Betances. I have fallen in love with him. He is a dynamic talent who has limited baserunners and amassed a huge strikeout total now that the Yankees have pulled off his reins. Can he keep it up? Can he stay healthy? No clue, but I'm going to have a blast rooting for him.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees trades Aaron Barrett, to Nationals for Alberto 11-Tirado, Victor 13-Arano,

As the years pass, I'm probably going to lose this trade in a big way. Tirado has a huge ceiling, and Arano has a nice floor for a 19 year old. Both prospects could certainly come back to hurt me...but not in short order. Both will need to take one level at a time, and we all know what can happen in the developmental process.

Being a few players over and having raised the possibility of competing sooner with my team pretty significantly closer, getting value for some of the players that will take more development time was very important. Barrett has dominated the minors in each of the last two years, and is off to a very good start to his MLB career. He has two plus, heavy pitches that will miss bats and generate grounders. He should give Betances support in the back of our developing bullpen.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Steve Lombardozzi Jr., to Royals for Royals Draft Pick 5,

Boom.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades J.R. Graham, Royals Draft Pick 5, to Phillies for Mike Morin,

I had way more success shopping Graham publicly than privately, with 8 suitors stepping forward. Graham is only one year removed off of TJ and is being treated with kid gloves this year. He has a terrific sim, but I think there will be more out of him down the line...if he can stay healthy.

While there were some interesting offers, Morin was the one who fit the criteria I was looking for. He's young (23), has had MLB success so far (1.12 whip), was dominant in the minors (10.03 k/9 at HA/AA/AAA), and features very good stuff (3-pitch mix, filthy changeup). He probably doesn't profile as a closer...but I have Dellin Betances. Betances, Barrett, and Morin have the makings of a pretty solid back end to my pitching for next year and well beyond.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Giants trades Joe 11-Ross, Max 12-Fried, Jacob deGrom, to Nationals for Aaron 10-Sanchez,

This trade came about so quickly that I had to slow it down and think it out. At his best, Sanchez profiles as a #2 starter with dynamic stuff. He's the best arm I have not named Trevor Bauer. However his command and changeup have not taken a step forward like most people hoped, and him in a bullpen long term is getting louder and louder every day.

The return does not represent Sanchez as his #2 upside, but it could be a big win for me if he falls into a category lower. Fried is the wild card here. He's a top 40 prospect when healthy, but he has not been for all of 2014...and he's going to get his shoulder checked out. Not a good sign, but he's an arm to have patience on. No matter where you see Ross' ceiling, he's taken a huge, positive step forward this season. He features plus stuff across the board, has a perfect pitcher's body and athleticism, and has hit AA this year at the age of 21. His older brother Tyson is crushing it in MLB this year, and gives a good blueprint for younger brother.

DeGrom represents my favorite pick up in the deal, though. With scouting reports always touting plus stuff, he has literally put everything together this year between AAA and the MLB. His fastball remains plus, his secondary pitches have all taken a big step forward, and his secondary stats closely match the success he's having at the MLB level. Playing half his games at Citi won't hurt, either. He should fit squarely into the middle of a rotation for the majority of his career, with the upside of a couple years as a #2 starter given his stuff, league, and home park.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Jacob deGrom, Mariners Draft Pick 3, to Phillies for Jake Diekman, JaCoby 13-Jones, Phillies Draft Pick 1,

I had zero intention of moving deGrom...I actually quite like him, and believe everything I wrote about him...just...yesterday.

JaCoby Jones is a player I've been asking about for a while. He's got dynamic tools, is playing an above average SS this year, and his hitting potential is starting to show up in games. He's old for the level, but he was raw coming out of college. He's a lottery ticket, but there is the potential for a huge payout given his development.

Jake Diekman is a flame-throwing lefty who also features a plus slider. His secondary stats are better than his reality this year, and is a true 8th inning arm. Command continues to be his sticking point...but you can solve a lot of problems striking out 13 batters per 9 innings.

In a deep draft, this gives me my 4th pick in the first round, alongside the 31st overall. These 5 future players will round out a roster that is just getting deeper and deeper.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Giants trades Mike Olt, to Nationals for Tony Sanchez,

Sanchez is a solid C who can put up decent numbers across the board, and shows some pop...however the year McCann is having, alongside the development of McGuire and Torrens has me comfortable with my catching situation moving forward.

Olt is a CT guy, who is recovering from a disastrous 2013 and start to 2014 at the MLB level, to lay waste to the AAA level. He still features prodigious power, and is still in his first year overcoming eye surgery. If this is the start of a resurrection, Olt can still profile as a middle of the order basher. If it's not, the cost was a solid player at a position of strength for me. Fair across the board.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Domingo Santana, Nick Ahmed, to Astros for Ryan Brett, Twins Draft Pick 1,

I'm losing 2 guys that I've gotten to quite enjoy. Santana is the star here, and he's a young masher who has plenty of time to pull his hit tool up...especially seeing that he's just 22, already in AAA, tasted MLB, has above-average defense, good patience, and a monster power tool. Ahmed is someone who could be an MLB starter based on defense alone, but has proven that there's something in the tank with his bat in AAA this year.

Ryan Brett is a youngster at AA who has proven he can hit at every level along the way, so long as he stays off the drugs. He has the potential to be an above average starter at 2b. The #1 pick should fall somewhere in the #20-25 range. There is very good value still at this point in the draft, and provides me flexibility at I continue to restructure my roster going into the off-season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Jake Diekman, Ryne 13-Stanek, Pirates Draft Pick 1, to Athletics for Aaron Hicks, J.D. Martinez, Shawn Tolleson,

This trade came about pretty quickly. Out the door goes a very solid arm in Ryne Stanek, who I believe does have mid-rotation potential, and Jake Diekman, who has an outstanding left arm that produces prolific K numbers...when it finds the plate. The #1 pick will be the last in the first round...an area where I have quite a few picks at the moment.

Shawn Tolleson comes back as a reliever who is steadier, but less prolific than Diekman. He has proven himself to be a solid 8th inning option, and is a full year younger than Diekman. I've had a ton of success selling high on former top prospects the last 2 years, and Olt and Hicks are my chances this year. Hicks is a plus to plus-plus defender, which has led to positive WARs in 2 MLB seasons despite never cracking a .600 ops. Hicks is still very young, and the results at AA and AAA have both been very positive this year. Coming full circle on the Pirates first rounder is JD Martinez. As each at-bat goes by, at a young 27, Martinez is proving the doubters less and less accurate. He continues to hit, hit for power, and is now occasionally taking a walk. His defense will never be more than average at best, but he has legitimate thump in his bat...and will continue to see good pitches behind Cabrera/Martinez going forward. I gave up a lot of upside, but, for once, I got a lot of reality back.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Ian 13-Clarkin, to Pirates for Luis Sardinas,

Clarkin is a lefty with terrific stuff who is also a Yankee. I'm sure I'm going to be asking JP about him again at some point. He delivered in his first full season, and has a great career ahead of him.

However, I needed to continue to push to stay SIM compliant for this year and 2015 without losing a ton of value overall. Right now my 2 ss' (Robertson, Jones) were pretty far away. Sardinas doesn't have the ceiling of either guy, but he has a plus hit tool, a plus glove at ss, and does feature a first division ceiling. If he can get away from Andrus, his value as a true ss with a hit tool is very valuable. Good deal for both sides...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Josh Johnson, Chris Young, to Cardinals for Tim Collins,

Chris Young will most likely be a top 40 pitcher next year, which carries very good value. He's had an excellent year and he's traditionally been a SIM favorite. Josh Johnson is another SIM favorite who will pitch off his 2nd TJ at some point in 2015.

Tim Collins is a very young 25 year old who has 3 excellent MLB seasons under his belt, and is dominating AAA this year. Collins is a lefty with very strong K/9 numbers who should at least give me 75% what Diekman would have. He's also a midget, which only endears him further to the IBC Nats.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Slade Heathcott, Mitch 12-Nay, to Yankees for Adam Warren, Yankees Draft Pick 3,

Heathcott still shows all 5 tools...when he can stay on the field. That is getting rarer and rarer these days. He's played 100 games in only 1 season, and has never reached 400 ab's. Nay is a true 3b who will be able to stay at the position, has plus hit and power tools, and has already reached HA as a 20 year old. He's a first round pick who has played up to his draft status.

Warren has good stuff out of the pen, and is having an excellent year. He should be a solid 7th/8th inning arm going forward. In a draft that goes 90-100 strong, a pick at about 75 is very good currency as I continue to shape my roster.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Danry 10-Vasquez, to WhiteSox for Taylor Lindsey,

Danry Vasquez is a terrific young outfielder. The hit tool is probably average, but he has excellent patience and developing power. He was pushed to HA this year, and responded very positively. In a deep Astros prospect pool, he's one to keep an eye on.

Taylor Lindsey is coming off of a difficult year and is an average fielder at best. However, Lindsey is still only 22, has terrific approach at the plate, and does have a plus hit tool with some solid pop in his locker. Next year will be a huge year in his development, but I think he'll be worth the gamble.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

DBacks trades Tyler Matzek, to Nationals for Yankees Draft Pick 3,

The third round pick will be in the early-mid 70's in a draft that does run 90-100 strong. It's a good value for someone looking to move players.

As a product of pitching in difficult settings with the Rockies system, Matzek's secondaries have generally outpitched his ERA. He really did bottom out in 2011, denting his rising prospect status at the time. Since then Matzek has gone back to his old mechanics and has been very effective. Promoted to MLB this year, Matzek has shown very good stuff and solid results for a 23 year old in Colorado. He probably doesn't profile as anything more than a #3 starter in the end, but that would be a nice get for a 3rd rounder.

Now back to Everton/Chelsea...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Felix 11-Jorge, to Athletics for Athletics Draft Pick 5,

Boom.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Giants trades Derek Norris, Steven Moya, to Nationals for Michael A. Taylor, Max 12-Fried,

I'm not sure there are two people in the history of fantasy baseball that have sent more people back and forth in the past year than Nils and I.

Michael Taylor projects as a potential All-Star cf who can challenge for Gold Gloves and Silver Sluggers. He's getting some time in rf, which I'm sure only increases his value to Nils. At the moment, with what will amount to 2 lost years, Max Fried is a lottery ticket. His setbacks came at a very bad time in his development arc.

Here's why I made the trade: In front of Taylor, I have Alcantara, who will probably be the Cubs cf moving forward. Given Taylor's prolific strikeout troubles, and Alcantara's growth into a plus to plus-plus defender in cf, Alcantara is a better option...not even just safer. Also, behind Taylor, Dahl has grown into, potentially, a top 25 prospect after a monster first full year in the minors. I also have Aaron Hicks, Mallex Smith, and Kyle Wren as prospects as well.

I traded Derek Norris last year understanding his potential, but not believing he could hit righties well enough to stay in the lineup. I was wrong. He's not blowing them up, but he's improved his average, and shown his calling cards of patience and some power. He's got the 8th best WAR of any catcher, and only Sal Perez is younger than Norris' 25. I also think there's still more pop in his bat.

Steven Moya is my lottery ticket in this deal. He's massive human whose plate discipline is somewhere well south of 'not ideal'. He can also struggle with staying on the field. However, Moya has top of the scale raw power that he unleashed on AA this year (71 ebh's, 35 hr's). He's very athletic for his size (16 sb's, 75% success rate, profiles as an rf), and has a relentless work ethic. If he can continue to improve his patience (it will never be plus) and continue the growth in the hit tool, he's a starter who can provide 30-40 homers a year. Combined with Hunter Renfroe, I've got quite the boom-or-bust combo coming quickly at rf.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Ryan Rua, Athletics Draft Pick 5, Twins Draft Pick 1, to Astros for Trevor Plouffe, Astros Draft Pick 2, BlueJays Draft Pick 4,

While the player merry-go-round has been busy for the IBC Nats, this trade will probably signal the start of a slow down. C, 3b, and COF were areas that I needed more security, and those are being addressed.

Rua is a good hitter, who's probably a better AL fit because he doesn't really have a position. I dropped about 20-25 picks in the draft...but it's a draft where I see a lot of similar value from about 20 (where the pick is) through 55-60 (where the pick I'm picking up is).

There's also about 100 players I really like in the draft, not including international signings, so I believe there should still be value in jumping forward a round from 5th to 4th.

So why on earth do I really like Trevor Plouffe? Since the transition of utility disaster to 3b, Plouffe has put up back-to-back seasons that range from league average 3b ('13) to fringe all-star ('14). He's improved his patience, retained his power, and provides decently even splits between lefties and righties. He's a young 28, and even if he splits the difference on the last two seasons, he's a 2.5-3.0 win player at 3b...which is getting increasingly hard to come by these days. My 3b depth ran from disaster with upside (Olt) to mega-disaster with upside (Davidson) to really good but really young (Ruiz), so Plouffe provides a level of non-sexy security that is nice to have around.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Tigers trades Domonic Brown, to Nationals for Joe 11-Ross,

And this would be the trade that (for now) closes down the merry-go-round. Ross is a very good young pitcher who has age, ballpark, and developing stuff on his side. He's probably a 4/5 starter, but he has the upside of a 3.

Between Brown, Moya, Renfroe, and Williamson, one will hopefully pan out sooner than later. Brown was an all star last year who has regressed offensively and defensively, but that has included injuries and hot/cold playing time. Hopefully he gets moved and can retain some of his '13 all-star status. Brown will never be Willie Mays, but the young man can hit.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trades Aaron Hicks, Ryan Brett, Astros Draft Pick 2, to Giants for Jonathan Schoop, Nationals Draft Pick 4,

This trade literally came out of nowhere. Nils emailed me today, and we knocked it out in an hour. Hicks is still young, and I believe he can ride his defense and patience to a starting spot in the MLB...although he has yet to grab that opportunity when he's had time. Ryan Brett is a professional 2b who will make MLB, and probably be at least a 2nd division starter somewhere. The 2nd round pick is a nice pick, but I do believe this is a deep draft, and I can get a player at 91.

The catch for me here is Schoop. He is a top 100 talent, and a terrific fielder who has serious pop in his bat. He's shown more patience in the minors, but it has escaped him in his rookie season. He has the potential for both plus potential power and hit, and if he can be a plus fielding, .280/.340/.430 hitter...that's a beast at 2b.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”