CWS Roster

Moderator: Executive Committee

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Jim, nobody is going to think you were trying to get Degan out of here so you could move to Chicago. Now if JP ever gets me kicked out so he can move to Busch, then yes there will have been a conspiracy afloat and I will ask you to avenge me. AVENGE ME!

If Jim thinks it will come off as a conflict of interest, I'm fine with announcing Brett was leaving and telling the league to assist in finding a new GM. Unless someone else leaves, then yes Jim, the newbie will be taking Degan's roster wherever it may wind up. If someone else bites the dust we can do a minidraft but I don't see that happening, though we could kick Bren out for the hell of it. I can't see anyone volunteering to put their roster up for a minidraft either, its not like the old days when we'd bring in 3 new guys and 5 other guys would volunteer to join the minidraft
Astros

Post by Astros »

Taking over Degan's roster anywhere isn't going to be attractive. I don't know who you're going to get to volunteer to leave the NLC, you've got 3 of us with our favorite teams, and JP and Jake have stayed put because of the natural rivalries among the GMs. If anyone would be willing to move from the division, we all know Gabe's bolted before to have an easier shot at the playoffs, so you can always ask him
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Well, Gabe wouldn't really help. I was thinking JP or Jake mostly.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Tigers wrote:Taking over Degen's roster in Coors wouldn't be very attractive, but probably my biggest concern in that scenario would be the downgrade of team from Jim's to John's in what doesn't otherwise look like a particularly healthy division moving forward. I guess it's still the same league at least, but a consideration of a good team in the NLC swapping with a so-so on in the NLE might be a good thing, if there is a pair of willing GMs. I'd just like to avoid another AL West.
I would have a solid shot at 4th place in the ALC behind you, Andrew and Z ... c'mon now ... :lol:
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Now that I have thought about it I do not want to make this more complicated.

Let's just "let" Brett D leave and replace him in Chicago ... we can do our usual bi-annual potential franchise dance after the 2009 IBC season ... if things work out John and I (and others) might be able to relocate, If not, the IBC is none the worse off.

Personally I am still a 3rd or 4th place team for another year whether it is in the NLE or the ALC ...
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I'm going to see Jake tonight, we're both going to the Mohegan Sun (with Troy, Shawn...I'm sure they'll be out of their minds.) so I'll talk to him to see if he'd like the Rockies, assuming John would move to NYM, or the Mets, assuming John stays in COL. Colorado is a tough sell for anybody. I would consider it myself, but I'd much rather kick Aaron's ass 17 times per year this year and shut the window on Nate's door to win. That said, I wouldn't mind "taking it for the team", given the NLW would probably be just as competitive with Jag, Martin and Shawn, all people I talk to regularly and what have you.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Also, last year when we said no moving around or whatever, we did say that the teams that had no say in where they were planted could have an opportunity to move. In this case, John's favorite team would have come up as well as Jim's, so you'd have:

Jim-> CHW
John-> NYM

Colorado open. The teams that didn't get a say from when they were brought into the league were Lape, Gudim, Kelly and I believe Levine. I know Gudim would probably love getting out of the AL East, but I don't know that he'd go to Colorado. Lape and Levine would consider, and Kelly going over there would benefit nobody but Shawn and Jag, and we can't have that. :D

So perhaps, if we do say goodnight and thank you Brett D. for your years here, we should offer Colorado to Jake or Gudim. Problem then becomes, what person would want that roster in the AL East against JB, Bren, Pat and Pat? Same could be said for the NL Central. All in all, I'm starting to think that it doesn't matter and whoever we bring in should be willing to accept the challenge, I mean there is definitely talent there to work with.

If John would opt to stay in Colorado, which he has done in the past, then it would make things a lot easier because that team in the NLE could feasibly have a chance within two years or so, since I don't really think much of Vacek's team to be totally honest.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

I'm just seeing all of this now, so forgive me if my thoughts seem somewhat scattered.

I think that the way to do this is to tell Brett that we believe that it is in the best interests of the IBC that he retire--he does not seem opposed to it and probably just needs the little push.

Secondly, with regard to realingment--what exactly are our policies on moving teams? I am aware that there is a preference that teams not move unless going to a personal favorite franchise but we haven't spelled it out. In the coming weeks, we might just add that tweak to the constitution of the league (as well as rewrite Section III). At any rate, I don't think there'll be a league-wide outcry if Jim moves to the South Side. As for division equality, I think that's not a big deal. As long as divisions are stocked with quality GMs, there shouldn't be a fear that the quality will suffer. Rises and falls will occur, but as long as we trust each GM to act in the interests best for their own team, if a particular division is down because there are a few franchises rebuilding, it should not worry us.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Twins wrote:I'm just seeing all of this now, so forgive me if my thoughts seem somewhat scattered.

I think that the way to do this is to tell Brett that we believe that it is in the best interests of the IBC that he retire--he does not seem opposed to it and probably just needs the little push.

Secondly, with regard to realingment--what exactly are our policies on moving teams? I am aware that there is a preference that teams not move unless going to a personal favorite franchise but we haven't spelled it out. In the coming weeks, we might just add that tweak to the constitution of the league (as well as rewrite Section III). At any rate, I don't think there'll be a league-wide outcry if Jim moves to the South Side. As for division equality, I think that's not a big deal. As long as divisions are stocked with quality GMs, there shouldn't be a fear that the quality will suffer. Rises and falls will occur, but as long as we trust each GM to act in the interests best for their own team, if a particular division is down because there are a few franchises rebuilding, it should not worry us.
I've come to agree with this as I was typing my last post, given we'd just need to find a really willing GM that knows what he's doing... which is exactly what we'd need to find.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Just to take a step back, by far the most critical part of this is lining up a good GM. That should really be our focus.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Tigers wrote:Just to take a step back, by far the most critical part of this is lining up a good GM. That should really be our focus.
I agree here for sure. I think a good place to scour would be the DMB Boards, if we're looking for a fresh GM. There are a lot of nuts on there, though I don't post there too much anymore, mostly just read but haven't in a bit anyway.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

I agree with Andrew. We need to let him retire, give his goodbye speech and thank him for his time. I also agree that division equality isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Most divisions are going to be cyclical, that's just the nature of the beast. We have solid GMs in place in every division, most of the teams that have been rebuilding are starting to come on strong. Give Jake, Jason or Shawn the chance to move to Colorado if they want, and if they don't, then the new guy has a tougher road ahead. Not the end of the world
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

I'm going to leave the GM-finding to others...I take very little part in internet baseball forums (outside of this one).
Astros

Post by Astros »

I was thinking this afternoon, there's no former IBCers that really warrant another chance is there? The only guy that left and was good was Brad Giess and he was pretty much invisable. I'm not including guys like Rich, Pat G and Kegan that all left due to not having enough time. I have one guy, he knows dmb but he's also not online a whole lot, so if nobody else can find a suitable replacement I can ask him
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

The best GM who's in one of other leagues of mine is Ben Montgomery. I think he might have turned down an opportunity a while back, but I'm not sure about that. He's a very good GM and very active. The question is whether he wants to join another league, and I don't want to ask him myself, because I've turned him down in joining another league. Anyway, that would be the best name I'm personally familiar with. If someone does ask him, we should make points of the quality of the GMs in this league and the website.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I would go so far as to say that we have 2 months or so until the beginning of the season, there is definitely no rush to turn to guys such as Aaron's, who we would consider settling rather than be excited about bringing them in. I'd rather bring someone in two weeks before the season that is super solid than someone 2 weeks earlier who was a settlement.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

So since we basically all agree to gently push Degan out the door, how should we do so? A kind letter? I feel like we're an AD forcing a coach out or something. I almost felt bad, until Shawn reminded me that this guy doesn't answer any PM or e-mail I send him, and for no reason at all really.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

I guess just draft a letter I'll send to him, allow him to make his farewell post and then tell the league to tell us of any good GMs they know that'd be interested. When we get the new GM, Jim and John move
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Well I don't see needing a new GM for Jim and John to move, that can be done while the team is vacant. And who knows if John will actually want to move? We'll find out, I guess.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

Well nobody ever drafted a letter, so if you guys want, me and JP will take care of this. Just wanna make sure everybody's on board. We ask Degan to resign, he posts his farewell address and we get a new guy, right?
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

He has been participating better lately
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

So what do we want to do here? If we are to kick him out and have the franchises swap, now would be the time to do it before the projection disc is released. If we want to keep him on board a bit longer now that he's basically been warned, that's ok I suppose, but we probably should figure out what we want to do here since the steam has seemingly settled.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I'm still torn, especially without a GM already selected to replace him.

I still think we're going to be met with some resistance from the rest of the league, but I think it might still be the right thing to do to bring some fresh blood into the league as well as remove what I think you'd have to classify as one of the weakest GMs in the league.
Astros

Post by Astros »

I think you overestimate the resistance. If we have Degan resign, and don't kick him out, its going to be believeable because the guy doesn't do much. I think the only person that'll cause a stink is Bren, and well, its Bren so nobody is going pay attention. We need some new blood. If you guys don't want to do the dirty work and tell him, I have no problem doing it. Not having a replacement right now isn't that big of a deal IMO, because we have 2 months and we'll get someone in that time
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Cardinals wrote:I think you overestimate the resistance. If we have Degan resign, and don't kick him out, its going to be believeable because the guy doesn't do much. I think the only person that'll cause a stink is Bren, and well, its Bren so nobody is going pay attention. We need some new blood. If you guys don't want to do the dirty work and tell him, I have no problem doing it. Not having a replacement right now isn't that big of a deal IMO, because we have 2 months and we'll get someone in that time
Okay Aaron, you have self-delegated yourself. I'm fine with it either way.

And will you please get off of your schtick of beating on Bren every chance that you get?

Return to “ExCo General”