Brandon Brown's Blog

Moderator: Braves

Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Re: Down on the Farm - 2024

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/each-organizat ... e-coverage

Mariners: Tyler Locklear, 1B (No. 8 )
Some of us may have been thinking Locklear could have started the year in Triple-A after reaching Double-A last year and hitting well in the Arizona Fall League. If he keeps this up in Arkansas, he’ll get moved up to Tacoma soon enough. The first baseman has a .990 OPS thus far (.316/.464/.526), walking as much as he strikes out while currently standing second in the Texas League in OBP and sixth in OPS.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ex-league/

Ramon Ramirez, C, Royals
Ramirez was flagged by scouts as the most talented player on Kansas City’s DSL team. He finished the year with a 1.055 OPS and eight home runs before being brought stateside for instructional league. The 18-year-old blends hittability and power into what could become the foundation for a fearsome offensive player. He has a strong throwing arm, too, but has lots of development remaining on defense.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From FG's Sunday Notes: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-note ... long-well/

Kyle Harrison was pitching for the Double-A Richmond Flying Squirrels when he was first featured here at FanGraphs in August 2022. Then a fast-rising prospect in the San Francisco Giants system, the now-22-year-old southpaw had broken down the early evolution of his arsenal for me prior to a game at Portland, Maine’s Hadlock Field. Fast forward to this past week, and we were reacquainting at a far-more-fabled venue. Harrison was preparing to take the mound at Fenway Park for his 14th big-league start, his seventh this season.

As I’m wont to do in such scenarios, I asked the dark-horse rookie-of-the-year candidate what’s changed since our 20-months-ago conversation. Not surprisingly, he’s continued to evolve.

“I’ve added a cutter, although I haven’t thrown it as much as I’d like to,” Harrison told me. “Other than that, it’s the same pitches. The slider has been feeling great, and the changeup is something that’s really come along for me; it’s a pitch I’ve been relying on a lot. I really hadn’t thrown it that much in the minors — it felt like I didn’t really have the control for it — but then all of a sudden it clicked. Now I’ve got three weapons, plus the cutter.”

Including his Thursday effort in Boston, Harrison has thrown his new cutter — Baseball Savant categorizes it as a slider — just six times all season. Which brings us to his other breaking ball. When we’d talked in Portland, the lefty called the pitch a sweepy slider. Savant categorizes it as a slurve.

What is it?

“It’s got a two-plane break, so I think slurve is probably the best way to describe it,” Harrison replied to my question. “That’s why I added the cutter, to get more strikes. In Triple-A, I wasn’t able to land that big slurve as much on the ABS [automated ball-strike system] strike zone.”

The movement profile of his breaker differs from his Double-A days, an evolution that was more organic than by design. The bottom line is that two-plane is now the norm.

“I’m getting anywhere from negative-five to probably negative-eight vert on it,” explained Harrison. “It’s kind of getting that depth point, like a curveball, but it’s also keeping the horizontal, anywhere from eight to 16. I haven’t lost any horizontal overall, although I have lost some in a couple of starts. We’ve been talking about it, arm angle and all that. Having ways to fix it in between starts is huge for me. I need to get it more dialed in, get that consistent 13-to-16 sweep.”

His changeup also differs from the one he was throwing in the Eastern League. Harrison still holds the ball with a modified Vulcan grip, but he’s now spreading his fingers wider in order to take off more velocity. Instead of 88-90 mph, the pitch is now coming in 86-87.

“Having a little more split with the fingers allows me to kill a little more speed,” explained Harrison. “In the minors, I was throwing it too hard and not seeing the speed differential. I also wasn’t seeing enough movement differential. Now I have more of a split-finger feel, in a sense, and am able to kill more spin.”

As chance would have it, only 14% of the 95 pitches he threw in Boston were changeups, while 20% were slurves — essentially a flip-flop of his seasonal averages (28.9% changeups and 12.6% slurves). When I asked him about that following the game, he said that he didn’t feel his changeup was as good as usual, in part because the Fenway Park mound felt “a little flatter, per se.” Conversely, he felt that his slurve and fastball were playing well.

Harrison’s heater — the one pitch in his repertoire that has remained unchanged — was indeed good in his five-inning, one-run-allowed effort. Only five of his fastballs were put into play, while 10 elicited a whiff, 11 went for a called strike, and 13 were fouled off. Movement and deception are keys to the 93-mph offering’s effectiveness, as is consistency of arm action.

“I wouldn’t say ride,” Harrison said of his fastball’s movement profile. “I don’t think that’s the right term, because that calls for induced vert, and if my induced vert gets too high, that means my arm slot is creeping up too high and I lose my vertical approach angle. It’s crazy how much I’m learning about all this. In a couple of starts, my heater wasn’t as good as I wanted it to be, because my arm slot was a little lower and I was up-shooting the ball a little. It’s a fine line. You’ve got to stay consistent to get results up here.”

Harrison has a 3.79 ERA, a 3.87 FIP, and a 23.9% strikeout rate in 38 innings this season. Three months shy of his 23rd birthday, he’s one of the youngest pitchers in MLB. The results, and his continuing evolution, are coming along quite well.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Statcast Standouts (May 6th): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... s-may-6th/

Josh Ekness, RHP, Marlins
The Marlins drafted Ekness No. 353 overall (12th round) in 2023. He fits into my sweet spot of a pitcher that is well below the radar who deserves a little bit more attention. These players embody the notion that the gap between players is often much smaller than we think. Tiny differences in velocity, movement and release points can be the difference between a major league arm, and one that toils in the minors for a decade.

Ekness is mostly a two-pitch pitcher, with a fastball that has decent ride given the low slot, with very good velocity at 97.3 mph and topping out at 100. The current shape won’t be dominant at the major league level, but it’s also not far off from being a plus-plus pitch. If Ekness can manage to add two inches of ride (not easy) this goes from an average to plus pitch, to being a pitch that profiles well at the back of an MLB bullpen. Tiny differences can lead to gigantic performance results.

Ekness also throws a gyro slider at 85 mph, which has a lot of potential, especially if he can add a couple of ticks to it, which given the fastball velo, should be doable. He does release it from a slightly different release point than his fastball, which may be a problem as he moves up the ladder. Ekness is dominating as a closer right now, and it appears the Marlins will be developing him as a high-leverage arm. He has the raw ingredients to excel in that role and may move quickly.

Kyle Nicolas, RHP, Pirates
Nicolas ranked No. 13 in our preseason Pirates rankings on the strength of his high-octane stuff that profiles well in a high-leverage bullpen role. While he’s given up nine walks in the early going this year, he’s showing flashes of targeting his fastball to the upper third of the zone:

The command looks spotty to lefties, but he’s at least able to zone the pitch or attack just above the zone most of the time.

Nicolas has made a couple of tweaks from 2023 to 2024 that are subtle, yet important. He’s raised his release point about 2-3 inches, with a corresponding increase of IVB that is about neutral, while adding a half a tick to the fastball. While the fastball quality is probably net-neutral, he also throws a bullet slider at 88.5 mph which he’s added an inch of drop to, and now has 16 inches of vertical separation from the fastball, up about two inches from last season, and has led to more whiffs on the pitch. A slider at 88.5 mph is deadly when paired with a high-vert fastball, and he could stand to up his usage of the pitch substantially, if only he could command it a little better:

Nicolas will need some time to harness that slider, but when he does, he goes from a fringe relief arm to a potential relief ace.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet (5/7/24): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... et-5-7-24/

14. Brady House, 3B, Nationals
Team: Double-A Harrisburg (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: .400/.500/.850 (8-for-20), 4 R, 0 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 BB, 2 SO

The Scoop: House can get overshadowed in a system that also includes James Wood and Dylan Crews, but he shouldn’t. After a slow start to his career, he’s rebounded in a big way over the past few years, especially now that he has a clean bill of health. The third baseman reached Double-A last season, returned to the level this season and is continuing to rake. He swatted three home runs this past week—including a walk-off blast on May 1—bringing his total to five for the season. Not bad for the fourth-youngest player in the league on Opening Day. (JN)

17. Gavin Cross, OF, Royals
Team: Double-A Northwest Arkansas (Texas)

Why He’s Here: .409/.409/.773 (9-for-22), 6 R, 2 2B, 2 HR, 11 RBIs, 0 BB, 7 SO, 2-for-2 SB

The Scoop: Drafted ninth overall out of Virginia Tech in 2022, Cross stumbled through his full-season debut last year at High-A. But things are looking up this season. Cross popped his first two home runs of the season last week—including a long opposite-field poke—and is hitting .301 with power and a manageable strikeout rate over the past 20 games, dating back to the Naturals’ second series of the year. (ME)

Helium
Josh Ekness, RHP, Marlins

Miami popped Ekness in the 12th round of the 2023 draft out of Houston, where he transferred after two seasons at Lamar. At both stops the righthander showed a promising combination of high-octane heat and a nasty slider. This year, he’s using that mix to bully Low-A hitters. Over 10 games, Ekness has pitched 13 innings, allowed five hits, walked three and struck out 21. He’s brought his fastball up to 99 mph and has posted respective whiff and strikeout rates of 16.7% and 42%. The latter figure is the second-best in the Marlins’ system among pitchers with more than 10 innings. The caveat here is that he’s a college arm in Low-A, but the stuff is intriguing enough to make him someone to monitor as a possible quick mover. (JN)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/kyle-harrison- ... vs-rockies

DENVER -- The first three innings of Tuesday’s series opener between the Giants and Rockies looked deceptively like a pitchers’ duel, with the game scoreless through three and with each team notching a couple of hits. But while Rockies starter Dakota Hudson walked five and left the game in the fourth with 95 pitches, Giants stopper Kyle Harrison cruised efficiently through the Rockies' lineup to set up a gem of a game, needing just 86 pitches to get through seven scoreless innings en route to a 5-0 win for the Giants.

Harrison was the sixth Giants starter to throw seven scoreless innings at Coors Field, and the first in 12 years. The five previous pitchers make up a murderer’s row of mound masters: Barry Zito (April 9, 2012), Tim Lincecum (June 11, 2008), Matt Cain (April 17, 2007), Jason Schmidt (July 17, 2004) and Russ Ortiz (Aug. 28, 2002).

The beyond-quality start was desperately needed as the Giants came to Denver with a 1-6 record on their road trip, with no starter lasting six innings and Harrison’s previous start marking the only time a pitcher had gone five complete innings on the trip.

“A hundred percent that's something that I want to be,” Harrison said of his emerging role as an inning-eating stopper. “I came up last year and saw Logan [Webb] and all these guys doing that. So that's something that I kind of wanted to get to. We got the ‘W,’ so that's all that matters at the end of the day.”

Harrison has yet to pitch following a Giants win, and the team is now 6-2 in games he’s started.

“It's huge to go out and go seven scoreless,” shortstop Nick Ahmed said. “It just gives us confidence knowing that he's out throwing strikes and keeping them scoreless, and for us to not feel like we need to score a ton of runs to win a game. It's nice to know you're going to score a few and he's going to hold the lead for us.”

The difference was the fourth inning, when San Francisco piled on, putting four hits and a walk together for a four-run frame. Matt Chapman sparked the rally with a one-out walk, and Blake Sabol followed with a single to right. Ahmed and Jung Hoo Lee hit identical dribblers down the third-base line. Third baseman Ryan McMahon barehanded both, but he lost Ahmed’s ball and ran out of time to catch Lee as both recorded infield singles to load the bases.

A grounder to second from Thairo Estrada plated Sabol and drove Hudson from the game, and a single to center from LaMonte Wade Jr. off reliever Ty Blach brought Ahmed and Lee home to cap the big inning.

“Guys are grinding with two strikes,” Ahmed said. “We had some good at-bats tonight. Sometimes it's not the three-run homer that wins the game.”

Harrison was making his Coors Field debut, and you couldn’t ask for a better first impression.

“When you haven't pitched here before, there's some unknowns when you go out there,” manager Bob Melvin said. “Is your breaking ball going to break like it normally does? Am I going to get winded? There's some uncertainty, but it didn't seem to bother him at all.”

Though he appreciated the individualized canisters of oxygen the Giants brought to Coors Field, Harrison said he didn’t feel affected by the altitude when it came to executing his pitches.

“I played a lot of Minor League games in Salt Lake and Reno and all these places, so I have no excuse to not show up on this day,” Harrison said. “I felt great out there. The shape of the pitches were fine, honestly.”

The Giants added an insurance run in the seventh, but they didn’t need it. Harrison left after seven strong innings, allowing just four hits and two walks while striking out two. He only allowed one Rockies baserunner to reach second all night.

The win followed Melvin’s closed-door meeting for a rare talk Monday after being swept by the Phillies, and Ahmed thought the team responded well.

“We needed to hear it,” Ahmed said. “We didn't play well in Philly, obviously. We got embarrassed. They're a good team, but we didn't play our best baseball. We just came out [tonight] and did the little things right. You're not going to always win a game like that, but you give yourself a better chance.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/robert-gasser- ... e-coverage

MILWAUKEE -- It was two and a half hours before the first pitch he’d always dreamt about when Robert Gasser got grounded.

Wearing a Brewers-issue navy blue hoodie and matching shorts while the sun shone down on batting practice at American Family Field, Gasser, a left-hander who is MLB Pipeline’s No. 5 Brewers prospect, slipped off his sandals. He stood barefoot in the well-manicured grass while working a baseball in his left hand. Then he moved to the warning track to feel the dirt between his toes.

Some ballplayers call it “grounding.” Others prefer “earthing.” Whatever you call it, Gasser used to do it routinely at Triple-A Nashville before recently falling out of practice. The way the 24-year-old pitched six scoreless innings for an unforgettable Major League debut in Friday’s 11-2 Brewers win over the Cardinals, you can bet he will back out there barefoot next time.

“It’s some hippie [stuff],” said Christian Yelich, himself an occasional practitioner. “It looks like it worked.”

“So fun. So cool,” said Sal Frelick, who had his own magical Major League debut last year in this building. “With debuts, everyone on the field has chills for him when that happens.”

Gasser started his big league career with an eight-pitch first inning and never looked back, holding the Cardinals scoreless on two singles. He hit a batter but didn’t walk any and struck out four, including Cardinals left fielder Lars Nootbaar for career whiff No. 1 in the first inning, No. 3 in the fourth and No. 4 to finish Gasser’s outing, with the Brewers holding a comfortable 7-0 lead.

And Gasser did it all on a tidy 79 pitches, 55 strikes.

“Especially ending on a strikeout, it was everything I could have dreamed of,” Gasser said. “Probably the biggest game of my life so far. It was awesome.”

He is the fifth pitcher in Brewers history to complete at least six innings in his Major League debut without yielding a run -- the first since Brandon Woodruff in 2017. Only 10 other pitchers can boast of such a debut since the start of 2020 in the Majors, including the Cubs’ Shota Imanaga earlier this year.

Brewers hitters rose to the occasion, beginning with Rhys Hoskins’ single in the fourth inning that scored one run, and another came in right after on an error. The offense also gave the rookie some breathing room during a five-run fifth. The latter rally was highlighted by Yelich’s run-scoring squeeze bunt, which rolled slowly up the third-base line before hitting the bag.

For the Brewers, it was an organizational win, considering that Gasser was one of the prospects acquired in the 2022 Trade Deadline deal that sent Josh Hader to the Padres. The other, outfielder Esteury Ruiz, was flipped to the A’s that winter in the trade that landed catcher William Contreras, who reached safely three more times on Friday and is slashing .342/.422/.523 this season.

“I didn’t shake off once today,” Gasser said. “I had full conviction in what he was calling.”

The game was the easy part after waiting all day to pitch in front of family and friends including his parents. Dad Jim was the Brewers’ 27th round Draft pick in 1984 but didn’t sign, then saw his own pitching career derailed by an injury before he could throw an inning of pro ball.

The son, too, dealt with disappointment. Robert finished 2022 at Triple-A Nashville after the trade, then spent all of ‘23 there going 9-1 with a 3.79 ERA without getting called up. This year, he might have been a part of the Brewers’ season-opening rotation if not for the elbow issue which sent him to the injured list.

“I think ‘Gas’ came in with a little chip on his shoulder, like, ‘I should have been here last year in my mind,’” Brewers manager Pat Murphy said. “Maybe that’s something that we can think about sometimes. … It’s great to see them get here, they paid their dues and they have a little edge to them.”

Said Gasser: “I wouldn’t necessarily say I was upset or anything. There’s no time like the present to get up here.”

It helped to be “grounded.”

Gasser picked up the practice from a pitching coach in San Diego’s Minor League system and was reminded of it Friday by clubhouse neighbor J.B. Bukauskas, who suggested that Gasser keep his emotions in check by doing something to trick his mind into feeling comfortable on a field he’d never pitched.

“Something to make you feel like it’s something you always do,” Gasser said. “It was a good idea.”

He didn’t intend to wait until his next start to do it again.

“I’ll probably be out there tomorrow,” Gasser said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-t ... e-coverage

2. Jasson Domínguez, OF (NYY No. 1, MLB No. 32)
Domínguez has lived up to the hype after signing with the Yankees for $5.1 million, although Tommy John surgery last September sidelined him until he began a rehab assignment Tuesday. The outfielder displays tremendous thump, with a burly 5-foot-9 frame and exceptional bat speed from both sides of the plate. In an eight-game Major League cameo last fall, he had a top-of-the-line hard-hit rate (56.5 percent). "The Martian" has the highest power potential of any prospect on this list, and to date, has been better from the left side.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... -volcanic/

Braxton Ashcraft, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates (Double-A Altoona): 7 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K.
After missing most of 2021 and all of 2022 to Tommy John, Ashcraft returned last season and quickly established himself as an arm to watch in the organization. He’s been a bit susceptible to the long ball early this year, but is still showing flashes of big-league caliber stuff. There’s some easy gas on his upper-90s fastball and he complements it with a pair of breakers. Ashcraft has never topped 53 innings in a professional season so it’s likely Pittsburgh closely monitors his 2024 workload, which might push back a big league debut until next year.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... m-results/

Pitcher of the Day
Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Atlanta Braves (Double-A Mississippi): 8 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 8 K.

Waldrep was selected 24th overall last July, and it is already looking like more than a few teams will be lamenting that they let this Gator slip to Atlanta. We had him as the 30th-ranked prospect in the game during the offseason, and though he hasn’t been totally dominant this season—he now has a 3.32 ERA and 33 strikeouts over 38 innings—outings like last night’s are a reminder of how devastating his elite three-pitch combo can be. And if you were wondering, he does happen to have been born and raised in the state of Georgia.

Maddux Bruns, LHP, Los Angeles Dodgers (High-A Great Lakes): 4 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 7 K, 1 BB.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/hurston-waldre ... e-coverage

If Wednesday night's Mississippi doubleheader is any indication, the future on the Braves' hill looks scary good. As in the opposition should be scared.

Two of Atlanta's top three prospects, Hurston Waldrep and Spencer Schwellenbach, dominated their respective starts en route to the Double-A Braves' sweep of visiting Biloxi at Trustmark Park.

Waldrep went the distance in the opener, allowing one run while striking out eight in the eight-inning 2-1 victory. In his Double-A debut, Schwellenbach struck out a career-high nine and scattered three hits and a walk over six frames in a 1-0 win.

“I think it was unbelievable to see these two guys,” Mississippi manager Angel Flores said. “Showing up there what they are capable of, they were electric.”

Waldrep, MLB's No. 75 overall prospect, set the tone in Game 1. The 22-year-old right-hander threw 84 pitches, 63 for strikes. He allowed six hits, but didn't issue any walks, in improving to a 3.32 ERA.

Waldrep was sharp from the start, retiring the side on 10 pitches in the first, which included strikeouts of Eric Brown Jr. (MIL No. 10) and Brock Wilken (MIL No. 5). After giving up his lone run in the second inning on Ethan Murray's RBI single, he didn't give the Shuckers any breathing room, and even struck out the side on 12 pitches in the seventh.

“We had a plan and I think the most important part is that his stuff was there,” Flores said. “Keeping guys off balance and putting guys away, he did a great job with that.”

Witnessing the strong performance of his teammate motivated Schwellenbach when it was his turn to take the mound. Waldrep gave him a high-five and a smile, and skipper Flores told his new hurler "to just go out and have fun."

Atlanta’s No. 3 prospect did just that. His first four innings, Schwellenbach struck out two batters per frame. All told, the righty threw 81 pitches, 57 of them for strikes.

“I was waiting all day to pitch. I didn’t quite know when the first game was going to be done, so I was just getting myself ready,” he said. “I was just trying to do my best and make a mark on my first day in Mississippi.”

Both pitchers started out the season hot, exemplifying why they are so highly regarded within the Braves system. Schwellenbach was bumped up to Mississippi on Tuesday after striking out 34 and giving up just nine walks while posting a 2-1 record with a 2.53 ERA over 32 innings spanning six starts for High-A Rome.

Waldrep (2-3) already had a complete game on his season ledger prior to Wednesday's win. The 2023 24th overall pick has fanned 33 while walking 14 in seven starts with a 3.32 ERA for the M-Braves.

The duo's paths have crossed before, but just briefly. They were both in Rome's starting rotation after Schwellenbach came off the injured list in late August last year. Six days later, Waldrep was promoted to Mississippi.

But it seems like they'll be spending a lot of time together in the future en route to Truist Park, and conceivably for a long time after that in the Braves' Major League rotation.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-prospect- ... e-coverage

Just two years ago, Brennen Davis was the star of the Cubs’ farm system and one of the most highly regarded prospects in all of baseball. But it’s been a difficult couple of years for Davis, whose career stalled was slowed by injuries and inconsistencies.

That makes his current hot streak all the more encouraging. Now Chicago's No. 23 prospect, Davis has homered in four consecutive games and five of his last six, including Triple-A Iowa’s 10-4 win over Syracuse on Thursday.

In the fourth inning, Davis tattooed an 88.2 mph slider by right-hander Justin Jarvis (Mets). It left the bat at 113.7 mph and traveled 430 feet, per Statcast, clanking off the top of the scoreboard beyond the wall in left-center field at NBT Bank Stadium.

It was the latest example of the upside Davis has shown he’s capable of since 2018, when the Cubs made him an over-slot second-round pick out of the Arizona prep ranks. By the end of the pandemic two years later, Davis was widely regarded as the Cubs’ best position player prospect, and he won MVP honors at the 2021 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game. For a while, he looked like the Cubs’ center fielder of the future.

The problem was that injuries seemed to hamper Davis’ ability to stay on the field for very long. He broke his right index finger in 2019, suffered a concussion in Spring Training 2021, underwent surgery to correct a nest of blood vessels pushing against a nerve in his back in 2022 and had core muscle surgery in 2023. This year, he missed time due to another concussion. He appeared in only 124 games in ‘22 and ‘23 combined, and few at full strength.

Those injuries impacted Davis’ development, particularly as a hitter. His production suffered to such a degree that he wasn't on the Cubs’ Top 30 Prospects list at the start of this season, although Davis vaulted back onto it during last week's ranking update. Still, he remains further down the depth chart as Chicago’s system improved around him.

His past week at Iowa indicates Davis might be finding his footing again. Still only 24 years old, there is time for him to bounce back from all the injuries and make an impact at the big league level. Currently, the Cubs outfield picture is packed with veterans, with top prospects Pete Crow-Armstrong (MLB No. 15) and Owen Caissie (MLB No. 37) behind them.

For now, the best thing Davis can do is stay healthy and keep hitting. He's showing off his power (six homers) and on-base ability (.413 OBP), good for a .913 OPS through 28 games so far in 2024.

Return to “The Brave Blue Ballers”