Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Bryce Elder, 2023 Draft Pick 43 to Royals for 2023 Draft Pick 21

Yankees traded Gavin 22-Cross, 2023 Draft Pick 21 to Braves for Davis 0-Schneider, 2023 Draft Pick 35

These two trades are clearly linked. In the deals I move a mid-rotation starter in Elder to move up almost a full round to the first. At that point, it links up with a still interesting Gavin Cross to get the ultimate haul.

All in, I move Elder, Cross, & 43 and pick up Schneider & 35. I think those 8 spots are really important in this draft, but the goal here was getting Schneider. He's the interesting prospect who just keeps getting better every year, at every new level. He's a +6 defensively in the SIM, despite most reports on him...so it will be interesting how that breaks down in the SIM between 1b, 2b, 3b, lf & rf. What I'm buying, though, is the bat. He hits and hits and hits for days. The SIM likes him this year and ranked him as the 29th best prospect in baseball, and most of the rating systems have really started to turn a corner. I love the flexibility he provides and the bat he thunders with. I see him as a key part of my infield solution alongside Vargas, Westburg, Volpe, and Paredes.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Xavier Edwards, Reid Detmers, Chandler 22-Simpson to Reds for Chase 21-Petty, Spencer 21-Arrighetti, 2023 Draft Pick 51

Detmers was a big loss here. When I asked about 51, Ken asked about Detmers. I had no real intention to trade him unless there was a pretty big gap bridged, and I'm happy with it. Detmers is really good. Edwards profile takes a huge step forward if he can play cf, and I'm a big Simpson guy.

Coming back is a fun package. #51 is in a range I like in this loaded draft. Petty was absolutely awesome last year between a/ha on an innings restriction. He's poking around top 100 lists and will get stretched out in aa. If he has even similar results to last year, he will fly up lists. Arrighetti has k'd a ton of people all the way to aaa and no organization turns pitchers like him into mid-rotation starters like the Astros do.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Mariners traded Gabriel 20-Gonzalez, Pedro 22-Ibarguen to Yankees for 2023 Draft Pick 35

Down to two players for 35, Jagger got this offer in front of me. I was pretty excited by the talent on the board, but this was an offer I couldn't really pass up.

Start with Ibarguen. He's a super fun '22 international who had a fantastic first year in the complex league, with underlying stats that were as good as the primary numbers and he was one of the younger players in the league. He's not a ss and was already playing 5 positions, so his path to his final home will be a bit of a roller coaster, but a fun gamble. Gonzalez was the get. He's on a few top 100 lists and was a massive helium prospect in the first part of this season. While still just 20, his experience in ha exposed his willingness to chase. He has excellent bat-to-ball, but hard for that to play up when you're trying to pull pitches a foot outside. If he can outline a better strike zone and continue to elevate hittable pitches, there's a true masher in there. Which he better be because, despite a cannon arm, he's a pretty poor outfielder.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Robert 20-Hassell III, Christofer 21-Torin, 2023 Draft Pick 51, 2023 Draft Pick 95, 2023 Draft Pick 50 to Marlins for Spencer 21-Schwellenbach, Connor 22-Prielipp, 2023 Draft Pick 121, 2023 Draft Pick 39, 2023 Draft Pick 99

Hassell and Torin are really interesting prospects in separate ways. Hassell was a top prospect coming off a tough year, while Torin is one that came from a bit off the radar to some prominence this year. They are just traded from areas of strength for me. For dropping down on one pick, Nils picks up a boost on two others.

This was all about pitching upside for me. The draft pick hits hurt in this draft, but happy to retain #77 in the deal. Schwellenbach's stuff, pitchability, and background raise some DeGrom comps. Like Petty, he was outstanding in milb this year, but never really got stretched out and faced injury concerns again. And if you like those issues, you'll love Prielipp. He has monster stuff from the left side, but has pitched a total of 8.2 professional innings...with the 20 ip's he threw in college the most he's throw since high school. If he can stay healthy and fight over his injury issues, he has legitimate top of the rotation stuff. 2024 couldn't be a bigger year.

But the big part of the trade was moving up to get Knoth. I didn't think he would be there at #50, so I jumped. He was always interesting to scouts because of his two (!) 3,000 rpm breaking pitches and a usable changeup. He leaped up the rankings when he started sitting at 92-96 and bumping 98. Prospect analysts and scouts gush over him, but, as you should always be...they are super cautious on not huge prep arms...and especially east coast not huge prep arms. But he was still one of the youngest players drafted (17), won't even be 19 until the end of the 2024 milb season, has one of the nastiest repertoires in the draft, and still has upside. So let's go!
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Josiah Gray to Rockies for 2023 Draft Pick 67

I mean...Nate will almost assuredly win this trade. At the moment, Gray is 26 with a solid prospect pedigree and has established himself as an MLB starter. Taking that over a 3rd round pick is a no-brainer.

To me, this is a bet on systems and this draft. I have zero faith that Gray will develop more in the Nationals system. He sure might, but that system has become really good at stalling out potential in recent years.

The Brewers, on the other hand, have done a good job with talent ID and development in recent years. They got a ton of kudos on their 2023 draft, and Bitonti was a part of it. One of the youngest players in the draft, Bitonti is already 6'4" with good athleticism and massive power. While he can stand at ss and most guys his height play 1b, most think he can stick as a solid 3b. He's got some swing and miss and has a long developmental path, but I do believe, in a less loaded class, he would have been a 1st round pick...and I would take that for Gray.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Isaac Paredes, Chase 21-Petty to Guardians for Josh Jung, Denzel 21-Clarke, Gavin 20-Stone

Pat gets upside in this deal, no about. Paredes is still just 24 and was awesome last year and got rewarded with a good SIM. I really had no intentions of trading him until Pat put this on the table. Petty has some more upside than Stone, but tinstaapp.

Stone already has some mlb ip's in him that didn't go great, but he was struggling with injuries all year and still showed off his swing and miss stuff from his 2022 breakout. Jung is 80% of Paredes currently, and I think they will be very similar when some of their batted ball stats get more ab's under them. The difference on the upside piece was made up by Clarke, who broke on to top 100 lists this year with a really exciting season...when he can stay on the field. He tantalizes with a power/speed/defense package, but will be 24 on May 1st and hasn't touched aaa yet because of injuries holding him back. He pairs well with Adell for me in the hopes that one can enjoy a full breakout/uninjured/consistent season as a full-time cf.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Nathan 21-Hickey to Pirates for 2023 Draft Pick 93

Hickey hits for days and the sim really likes the bat (back-to-back solid sim's). Playing at a premium position, that would be a good start. Unfortunately his defense is actually a -19 in the sim. Few good developmental years could bring it back to earth and that would make him really, really interesting.

I had someone I just wasn't willing to lose...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Xzavion Curry, Benny 21-Montgomery, Keaton 0-Winn, Julian 21-Aguiar to Giants for Griffin Canning, Kyle Stowers, 2023 Draft Pick 124

Astros traded Aaron Ashby, Jake Eder to Yankees for Jagger 20-Haynes, Gavin Stone, Caden 22-Dana, 2023 Draft Pick 124

First trade was percolating for a while. Second trade happened while I was finalizing my pick 124. I plan to make one more pick in this draft, but was coming to the conclusion that there's still like 10 guys I like when Ty hit me up...then immediately took one of those 10. I still feel like I'll get one of my guys.

Curry is a nice swing piece for the Guardians. Montgomery is still a high upside prospect in the Rockies system. Aguiar is an exciting young starting pitching prospect for the Reds. Haynes has high profile stuff and is liked by zips, but has a tough time staying on the field. Winn, Stone, and Dana hurt the most. Winn has elite stuff but problems getting people out. Stone is a prospect I've liked quite a bit for a while and looks awesome this spring. Dana is a young HS arm who is blowing up as a prospect as we speak.

I've been looking for some more stability out of sp and of with so many boom or bust prospects, and I did that in this deal. Stowers is a low ceiling/high floor of who continues to impress the more the Orioles run him out. Eder is a no doubt mid-rotation starter if he can stay on the field consistently. Canning gives me a no-doubt rotation piece who has been solid for years, and is still just 27. Ashby feels like he is 30, too...but he's still just 25. He has elite stuff and just needs to find consistency on the field. Being a lhp in Yankees stadium is nice, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rangers traded Franco 21-Aleman to Yankees for Jake Eder

Eder has excellent stuff and is a lefty…he’s just gotta stay healthy. I’ve got a ton of guys ahead of him on my roster, but he’s still interesting.

Aleman was on my pickup list for a while last season…and regret not doing it now that I’m sacrificing a good prospect for him. Aleman has dynamic stuff that played up in aa…and as he got stronger, his control also improved. The sim clearly saw his video game stats at as and were impressed, and now the Guardians are being blown away in spring training. Glad he’s finally here.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded Trevor 23-Werner to Yankees for Jaime Barria

The SIM loves it some Jaime Barria...and he keeps throwing incredibly unsexy-but-fine innings.

Werner was I guy I was tracking in the draft and this was a good opportunity to add him to the roster.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Jordan Westburg to Rays for Matt Manning

Love Westburg. Multi-positional, good thump…but I’ve got very real cover at all his best positions.

Manning was a top prospect pitcher who hit a tough stretch, but has been quietly quite good going on 3 years now. While I’m still shy a true TORP arm, Abbott, Ashby, Canning, and Manning give me a fun, young mid/back of the rotation.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Guardians traded Jack 23-Hurley to Yankees for Gregory Soto

Soto is a 2x all-star (really!) who always pitched on a knife-edge, even when he was all-starring in Detroit. He's been a bit worse in Philly, and the SIM has dinged him accordingly...but he's still death on lefties with a good k rate when he throws it over the plate.

Hurley was a guy who was on my short list at 77 and was my alternate at 99. He's another guy buried by a deep draft from an upside standpoint. He will probably get moved off cf in a deep AZ outfield system & MLB, but he has massive exit velocities and can play all 3 of positions. If he can make consistent contact, he will move quickly...but swing & miss has been a part of his game against hard throwers and something he will need to develop against to give himself a chance.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Jose Miranda, Aaron Ashby, Denzel 21-Clarke, Ryan 22-Clifford to Padres for Patrick Wisdom, Shane Bieber

Gave up some decent pieces here, especially to a contender. Ashby slots into the spot in the rotation left in Bieber's wake and he's still really young. Miranda is a good pickup to man 3b and Clarke/Clifford are both big ceiling/low floor prospects who can either develop or help Jim upgrade in the future.

Wisdom was a nice get...dude can pop it...but obviously this was for Bieber. Not often you get a Cy Young winner still in his prime without sacrificing an elite player, but this was a unique circumstance for sure. Bieber just hit the 60-day and won't be back until next season, and was already coming off one of his worse season as a pro. That said, he was filthy in ST and his first two starts, and people in their prime have a solid comeback track record. Had to take the risk to get this level talent on the team when I'm not playing for anything this year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Jonatan 18-Clase, Colt 20-Keith, Emmanuel 0-Rodriguez, Harry 21-Ford, Mike 23-Boeve to Yankees for Andy Pages, Josh Jung, Logan O'Hoppe, Marco 20-Raya

This was a doozy. Jung and O'Hoppe are both healthy and among the league leaders for offense at their positions...and still very young. Pages was punishing AAA when they called him up. Raya is off to a great start in AA and is a well thought of prospect.

While it sets me back in the short term, this helps my long-term upside. Keith was a consensus top 25 prospect, Ford & Rodriguez a top 50 prospect, Clase is coming off a 20/79 season & just got called up, and Boeve has a double + hit tool and is hitting close to .500 at A+.

I lose a strong set of certainty, but I pick up a ton of upside.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Karson 22-Milbrandt, George 23-Wolkow, Luke 23-Keaschall to Yankees for Cole Sands, Kyle Stowers, Matt 20-Mervis

Cole Sands has been devastating so far this season. Mervis & Stowers have been tearing up AAA and both have solid SIM's...so a lot to build off of and both still young.

The ceiling on my return was really strong, though, and continues a shift towards high ceiling players from high floor players. Milbrandt has an electric fastball with solid secondaries. The secondaries and command will need to take a step forward for him to reach his mid-rotation ceiling, but he's only 20 and seeing success at A+...so he may just be taking that step now. Wolkow just turned 18 and held his own at Rk last year. He'll go back there to start this season, but he is something to dream on. He's 6'7" and can play centerfield. He has massive raw power. It's going to take some time, but there's a lot here...if only he wasn't on the White Sox. Keaschall was my favorite piece in the deal. He's a high ceiling, high floor prospect. He's multi-positional, makes excellent swing decisions, and hits the ball really hard. He was someone I wanted very badly in the draft...thrilled to pick him up here.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”