Down on the Farm - 2022

Brandon Brown's Blog

Moderator: Braves

Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Re: Down on the Farm - 2022

Post by Braves »

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... lls-again/

Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros: Brown was in control once again on Thursday. He held Triple-A Round Rock to two hits and one run in 5.1 innings. He walked two and struck out nine. Brown’s control has always been a concern, but he’s not walked more than two batters in any of his last six starts.

From MLB Pipeline's Hottest Pitching Prospects, August Edition: https://www.mlb.com/news/hottest-pitchi ... e-coverage

Giants: Kyle Harrison, LHP (No. 2/MLB No. 23)
Baseball's best left-handed pitching prospect, Harrison continues to dominate and hasn't allowed a run in his last three starts, covering 12 innings, during which he has struck out 17 and limited opponents to a .132 average. He works with a lively mid-90s fastball, a sharp 82-85 mph slider and a fading changeup.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's August Top 100 Prospects update: https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... prospects/

The IBC Braves placed seven prospects on the latest iteration:
16. Taj Bradley (SP)
19. Kyle Harrison (SP)
30. Triston Casas (1B)
42. Hunter Brown (SP)
82. Liover Peguero (SS)
84. Shea Langeliers (C)
89. Owen White (SP)

And from the accompanying Risers & Fallers article: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... d-fallers/

Risers
41. Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros

Pitching in the Pacific Coast League is no easy task, but Brown has stood out from the pack as he’s been affected by the boosted offensive environments. In fact, Brown is the only qualified starter in the PCL this season with an ERA under 3.00 and the only qualified starter with an ERA under 4.00. Even when you look at ERA estimators like FIP or xFIP he’s still a half run better than the next closest qualified PCL starter. Beyond the numbers Brown’s raw stuff is enough to overpower upper-level hitters. With a four-seam fastball that sits 96 mph, touching 100 mph at peak, a slider sitting 91-92 mph, touching 95, and a low-to-mid-80s curveball with tremendous depth, Brown is certainly not lacking in stuff.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... week-8922/

13. Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros
Team: Triple-A Sugar Land (Pacific Coast)

Why He’s Here: 0-0, 1.69, 1 GS, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO.

The Scoop: Until this year, Brown’s scouting reports have always included a pretty big “if only” caveat. There’s been little doubt that Brown has exceptional stuff, with a couple of pitches to miss bats. If only he threw enough strikes, he could be a potentially dominant pitcher. Well, recently, he’s started to show that he can throw enough strikes. Brown’s control is still a little shaky at times, but it’s improved from where it was a year ago. And there are few pitchers in the minors who can come close to matching Brown’s stuff. Brown’s slider this year has sat at 91-92 mph. It’s hard for a slider that hard to not be effective. The only big leaguers whose sliders sit 90-plus mph this year are Emmanuel Clase, Edwin Diaz, Zack Wheeler, Brusdar Graterol and Michael Fulmer. That’s a great group of sliders to be compared with. (JC)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From FG: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kyle-harris ... -the-game/

Kyle Harrison is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. Drafted 85th overall in 2020 out of Concord, California’s De La Salle High School, the just-turned-21-year-old left-hander is No. 30 on our updated Top 100. Ranked ninth among hurlers, Harrison has dominated at two levels. Currently with the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, he’s fanned 143 batters and allowed just 57 hits in 86-and-a-third innings this season. In a word, the young southpaw has been overpowering.

Harrison discussed his repertoire when Richmond played in Portland over the weekend.

David Laurila: To start, give me a self-scouting report.

Kyle Harrison: “My fastball averages around 94 [mph]. I spin it decently — not too high — but it’s from a low approach angle, so I think it looks like the ball has a little bit of rise. Then I’ll go to my slider. I’ll kind of grip that off the four-seam and really just try to rip it at the bottom of the zone. It’s a little more sweepy-ish than a regular slider. I’m trying to make it harder. I’m able to get it to 85 sometimes — that’s kind of where I want it to be — but those are the max-effort ones. It’s usually more 80-83.

“The changeup I’m playing around with now is a new grip. I’m kind of splitting the two seams there. It’s more of a one-seam, so I can get a little bit more tumble. I’ve been throwing it harder than I’d like. I’m trying to take a little velo off to get some better speed differential.”

Laurila: A number of pitchers throw one-seam sinkers, but I’m admittedly not too familiar with one-seam changeups.

Harrison: “Yeah, definitely. From my slot — I’m a little three-quarters — it’s hard for me to really stay on top of a changeup. I feel like just getting that seam, and splitting that other finger, really allows me to pull down on the ball. It allows me to get it down in the zone, rather than having the rise and life that I get from that slot.”

Laurila: I assume it’s your middle finger on the seam?

Harrison: “Yes. And then I’m splitting it here, and really just trying to pronate with it.”

Laurila: The finger split you’re showing me is similar to a Vulcan, but you’re not actually gripping and throwing the pitch like a Vulcan.

Harrison: “Right. It’s more like a variant of that. I kind of learned it through trial and error. It’s a feel thing. Earlier in the season I was doing a four-seam changeup grip, and I would lose it a lot on the arm side. This allows me to stay down on it.”

Laurila: Was the grip a suggestion, or did you come up with it on your own?

Harrison: “It was suggested, but for the most part it was me wanting to switch it up because I was getting too much life with it.”

Laurila: Who made the suggestion?

Harrison: “Paul Oseguera, our pitching coach here, mentioned that I could get higher up on the seam and split it a little bit. We were talking after one of my outings and I told him that I wasn’t too comfortable with my changeup grip. We tried this one and threw some in front of a TrackMan. It killed a lot of vert, actually — a couple inches of vertical. It’s cool to be able to see that on a TrackMan, to throw a pitch and see just how it moves.”

Laurila: When you say “kill vert,” you mean that you’re getting more depth?

Harrison: “Yes, and a little more horizontal as well. It’s the one pitch I’m really working on now. I’m trying to find that consistency with it.”

Laurila: What’s the story behind your sweepy slider?

Harrison: “That’s kind of always been with me. It’s always been the shape of my slider, and once I got into pro ball and started to throw harder, it got even more sweepy. It’s really just my arm slot and how I’m kind of holding it on the side. Basically, I’m coming across and ripping it with a firm wrist.”

Laurila: Are you manipulating it at all?

Harrison: “Honestly, I’m just throwing it and letting it do its thing. I’m just picking the spots to start it, knowing that it’s probably going to get a good amount of horizontal. I’m getting anywhere from 15 to 20 [inches].”

Laurila: And what about your fastball? You mentioned approach angle.

Harrison: “I think that’s the key to my fastball. It’s the release height and approach angle. You don’t see guys coming from where I do all the time. I think being able to get low in my legs really helps out. That’s always been the way I’ve thrown a baseball. Yeah, it’s kind of a weird thing. I’ve never really tweaked it much. I just throw that way.”

Laurila: When did you learn why it was an effective pitch for you?

Harrison: “I’d say that it was last year, my first [pitching] in pro ball. I was getting swings and misses, and obviously the data and analytics were good. Once that started happening, I was like, ‘Oh, I’ve got a good pitch. Let’s roll with it and see what else we’ve got.’”
Braves

Post by Braves »

A couple of articles on Kyle Harrison's GEM last night;

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... le-ponies/

Kyle Harrison, LHP, Giants: The #18 prospect in baseball continues to impress in Double-A as he hurled six scoreless frames Wednesday night at The Diamond in Richmond. Harrison needed just 81 pitches to get through six striking out 10 Rumble Ponies on two hits and no walks. Harrison’s command was locked in as he got into just two three ball counts all night, retiring both batters. He had seven strikeouts over the first three innings of the game, striking out the side in the third. Harrison has now made 13 starts with Double-A Richmond amassing a 4-2 record with a 2.56 ERA and 94 strikeouts over 63.1 innings.

And from MLB Pipeline's Giants Top Prospects Update: https://www.mlb.com/news/san-francisco- ... e-coverage

Harrison fans 10 in scoreless outing (Aug. 17)
Kyle Harrison is only improving since being promoted to Double-A.

MLB Pipeline's No. 22 prospect has begun to gain ground upon elevation to Richmond on May 24.

Before moving up a level, the third-round (85th overall) selection in the 2020 Draft garnered a 1.55 ERA but unfortunately was tagged with an 0-1 record after only allowing a run in two of his seven appearances.

The 21-year-old didn't have the smoothest transition, giving up two or more runs in his first two starts with the Flying Squirrels, but his most recent performance proves that he's adjusting well to his new environment.

In his 13th start at Double-A, the left-hander tossed six scoreless innings against Binghamton, allowing just two hits and no walks while fanning 10 batters, marking the sixth time in his young career that he's had double-digit strikeouts
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-82322/

12. Kyle Harrison, LHP, Giants

Team: Double-A Richmond (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 10 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: After a string of shorter outings after returning from the Futures Game, Harrison is stretched out once more and looks to be hitting his stride as his Flying Squirrels approach the Eastern League playoffs. His most recent outing was his fourth this season of six or more innings. Perhaps not coincidentally, it was also his fourth with double-digit strikeouts. Between High-A and Double-A, Harrison has struck out 153 hitters in 92.1 innings, good for third in the minor leagues behind Royber Salinas and Brandon Pfaadt.

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-korey-l ... e-coverage

With his club beginning a road trip in Las Vegas on Tuesday night, it's only appropriate Korey Lee hit the jackpot.

With a final score befitting a football game, the No. 7 Astros prospect left his mark by homering three times and driving in a career-high five runs to power Triple-A Sugar Land past Las Vegas, 23-8 at Las Vegas Ballpark. The Space Cowboys cleared the fences a franchise-record nine times and tallied 21 hits, 12 for extra bases.

Lee became the fourth Sugar Land player to achieve the feat and the second this season. Enmanuel Valdez left the yard three times against Round Rock on June 15.

All told, it was the 24th time this season a Minor Leaguer has hit three or more homers in one game.

The Space Cowboys were already two long balls into their power-packed night when Lee stepped to the plate for his second at-bat in the third inning. The 24-year-old joined the party with a thre-run jack to center field to cap a seven-run frame and added solo homers in his next two at-bats in the fourth and sixth.

Due to Sugar Land's offensive onslaught, Lee had two more opportunities for a fourth home run, but he struck out and flied out. The game marked the first multihomer performance of his career, which began in 2019 after he was selected 32nd overall that same year out of Cal.

Although the California native has gone deep a career-best 17 times in 2022, including seven this month, it's been a season of adjustments. Lee endured a rough start to the season and was hitting .201 heading into June. A solid start to the summer helped the backstop earn his first taste of Major League life with a July 1 promotion to Houston. Lee spent the entire month of July in the bigs, going 4-for-25 with four RBIs in 12 games before he returned to Sugar Land on Aug. 2.

His power (four homers) and run production (13 RBIs and nine runs) have been strong since he was optioned, but he began Tuesday night slashing .173/.283/.404 with 20 strikeouts in 52 at-bats in August. His performance against Las Vegas lifted his average up to .222 and his OPS to .737.

Lee enjoyed a breakout season in 2021, slashing .277/.340/.438 with 30 extra-base hits, 11 roundtrippers and 48 RBIs in 88 games across three Minor League levels, including a nine-game cameo with the Space Cowboys to close out the year.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... esmerizes/

Jared Triolo, 3B, Pittsburgh Pirates (Double-A Altoona): 3-4, 2 R, 3B, HR, RBI.

Triolo quietly put together a breakout 2021 in the Sally League, slashing .308/.369/.480 during his time with Greensboro last year. While the power numbers haven’t been the same this season, he continues to show an advanced approach, minimizing strikeouts and taking his share of walks. An excellent defender, he’s blocked at the big league level by Ke’Bryan Hayes but has seen time at short and center field recently to help expand his defensive versatility.

From BP's Stash List: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/fant ... t-week-20/

(16) Triston Casas, 1B, Red Sox

Earlier in the year I talked about how Casas wasn’t exactly demolishing Triple-A, but was playing well enough, and was certainly a better option than whatever dreck the Red Sox were running out there on their way to earning some of the worst cold corner production in all of baseball. Since returning from a high ankle sprain in July that kept him out for nearly two full months, he’s slashing .307/.412/.544 across 31 games, with a walk rate above 14 percent. He’s got power, patience, and perhaps opportunity, even if Boston floats like deadwood to the finish.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... ll-coming/

Taj Bradley, RHP, Rays (Triple-A Durham): 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HRA.
Sunday’s solid performance was a pleasant reset for Bradley. Triple-A has finally posed at least a modicum of challenge, as the 21-year-old is for the first time striking out less than 28% of his opponents in affiliated ball.

From BA's Minor League Hitters to Target: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... y-leagues/

Miguel Bleis, OF, Red Sox

While the buzz around Bleis perhaps isn’t up to par with what we’d expect from a young tooled-up prospect, make no mistake, Bleis is one of the most exciting talents to grace the complex leagues this summer. Bleis is a speedy center fielder and strong athlete with a combination of above-average contact (74% contact rate, 86% zone contact rate), average swing decisions (27% chase rate) and impact (104 mph 90th percentile exit velocity). His well-rounded skill set and ability to make consistent hard barrel contact is rare, as 20% of Bleis’ balls in play have been hit 95-plus mph and at a launch angle of 10-30 degrees. He's a name that could burst onto Top 100 lists next spring.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-83022/

2. Korey Lee, C, Astros
Team: Triple-A Sugar Land (Pacific Coast)

Why He’s Here: .480/.552/1.160 (12-for-25), 9 R, 2 2B, 5 HR, 11 RBIs, 4 BB, 8 SO, 2-for-2 SB

The Scoop: Lee took advantage of the opportunity to bolster his offensive numbers at Las Vegas last week by hitting five homers in six games, including a three-homer game in the series opener. Lee altogether recorded multiple hits in four of the six games, a performance that boosted his season batting average from .212 to .231 in just one week.

15. Triston Casas, 1B, Red Sox
Team: Triple-A Worcester (International)

Why He’s Here: .391/.533/.696 (9-for-23), 7 R, 2 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 8 BB, 4 SO

The Scoop: After missing two months with an ankle injury, Casas struggled during his initial return to the Worcester lineup. Throughout the month of August, however, Casas has shown a return to form, hitting .329/.461/.549 with 19 walks to 20 strikeouts over 23 games in August. Last week Casas racked up hits with three multi-hit games and four games where he reached base three or more times. Casas hit 11 balls in play at 95-plus mph last week including four balls above 105 mph. Casas has a nice combination of contact, approach and power, it’s just a matter of putting it all together in a meaningful way. More over-the-fence power is typically expected from a first base-only bat-driven profile, but Casas’ power is certainly present.

From BP's Heat Check: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... swaggerty/

Korey Lee, C, Houston Astros (Triple-A Sugar Land): .424 (14-33), 11 R, 2 2B, 5 HR, 11 RBI, 4 BB, 10 K, 3 SB.
Houston decided against going with Lee as the primary backup for the stretch run, instead acquired Christian Vazquez at the deadline to handle the duties. Lee responded to the demotion by putting together his best offensive month of the year, slashing .270/.357/.662 during his August Triple-A time. He’s still developing as a backstop, but the tools are there for him to become a future above-average defender.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's The Call Up - Hunter Brown: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... ter-brown/

The Situation: We could talk about how Brown’s promotion conveniently lines up shortly after the Super 2 and 2023 rookie eligibility cutoffs, but there are extenuating circumstances that might suggest this is a genuine call-up: The team’s ace and one of the frontrunners for the AL Cy Young race, Justin Verlander, has landed on the IL with a calf issue. Though it’s not considered particularly serious, it nonetheless opens the door for Houston’s top prospect to make his major league debut.

Background: In many ways, Brown’s promotion is arguably the Astros’ quintessential amateur scouting and player development success story. Brown was a Division II arm out of a small school in Michigan, which resulted in him having a limited amount of pitches tracked in teams’ models. Despite this, scouts were aware of his high-octane heater and ideal starter’s frame, thus enabling him to become a fifth-round pick of the Astros in 2019. With a combination of quality stuff that has gradually improved and elite performance over his minor league career, Brown is now one of the top 10-15 pitching prospects in baseball.

Scouting Report: Brown’s fastball sits 95-97 mph as a starter, an impressive range that he maintains deep into his outings (bear in mind, however, that he’s only eclipsed 5.1 IP per outing four times this year). Despite great spin data, his heater doesn’t have the greatest ride or arm-side run in the world, but he does enough with the pitch up in the zone where it generates sufficient whiffs and serves to effectively set up his secondaries, which are his money pitches. His curve is perhaps one of the best in all of minor league baseball; a firm 12-6 curve that has exceptional, late-breaking qualities. His slider, though not as lethal as his curve, is also really firm—we’re talking 95 mph at times—and acts as a de facto cutter with plus horizontal bite. His changeup is a distant fourth pitch from a usage standpoint, but it’s actually the pitch he’s generated the most whiffs per swing on: it tunnels extremely well with his heater and has above-average sink. The biggest question with Brown has always been the command or lack thereof. Despite a respectable 3.82 BB/9 rate in Triple-A, I wonder if the whiffs he’s produced out of the zone mask what I still believe to be below-average command. Even so, Brown’s stuff has taken off to such an extent that his sub-par command may not matter. If you like comps, he lies somewhere between Nick Pivetta and Dylan Cease.

Immediate Big-League Future: Losing Justin Verlander absolutely sucks, no matter how short his injury might last. Given the Astros’ lead in the division, however, I think the team will use Brown’s time in the rotation to determine whether he’ll be a part of the bullpen equation come October. —Smith Brickner

Fantasy Impact: I’ve been bloviating about Hunter Brown much of the year, almost trying to will a non-harmful reason for the Astros to suddenly need his services. He’s finally here. Given the way the Astros have used high strikeout, high walk guys like him before, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him used both as a starter and in relief. He’s already handled both roles at Triple-A Sugar Land, for what it’s worth.

“High strikeout, high walk guy” is a good Cliffs Notes version of Brown’s game. Despite throwing only 106 innings in the Pacific Coast League this year, and despite walking 10.6% of batters, he leads the league in strikeouts and K-BB rate. But here’s what makes me most excited: He has a 54.2% ground ball rate, which is also tops in the league among qualifiers. It’s like a Cristian Javier/Framber Valdez hybrid. Brown is a solid dart to throw if you’re filling out your fantasy staff because of recent injuries. Long-term, if he can float all the pieces of his profile, he could be a really exciting mid-rotation option. —Tim Jackson
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's TMTP: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... it-noelvi/

Brandon Lewis, 1B/3B/DH, Los Angeles Dodgers (Double-A Tulsa)
After struggling through the first half of the season, the 24-year-old slugger has seen improvement along with additional playing time in the second half. Through June, Lewis posted an uncharacteristic .541 OPS and 5 home runs over 171 at-bats while platooning on a crowded Tulsa roster. With the midseason promotion of several teammates, Lewis has taken advantage of the increased opportunity in July and August, generating an .888 OPS and 14 homers in 154 at-bats. While he shouldn’t be expected to hit for average, Lewis’ natural strength and middle-of-the-field approach produce plus power to all fields. His pitch selection and zone awareness are passable but he’s aggressive at the dish, evidenced by his 33% K-rate and 7% walk rate this season.

Lewis had primarily played third base in two seasons since being drafted by the Dodgers in 2019, but he’s played more first base than third in 2022. While it’s difficult envisioning the everyman slugger carving out a meaningful role in the Dodgers’ talented cast, his prolific power and run-producing capabilities should be big-league ready the not-so-distant future.

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... rby-norbs/

Joey Wentz, LHP, Detroit Tigers (Triple-A Toledo): 6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K.
Wentz has been sharp since his return from the injured list early this month, allowing just one earned run over his three August starts. He looks to be back to his pre-Tommy John self, showing the velocity and command that made him one of the top arms in the organization. His big league debut was rocky, but with Detroit well out of contention he’s likely to get another shot at their rotation in September.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Top End of Season Prospect Call-ups: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... t-callups/

4. Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros

The Astros added Brown to the taxi squad on Tuesday and will officially activate him today in advance of his big league debut. The 6-foot-2 righthander went 9-4, 2.55 with 134 strikeouts in 106 innings in a dominant showing for Triple-A Sugar Land this year and was unanimously voted the Pacific Coast League’s best pitching prospect by league managers. Brown’s explosive, 95-100 mph fastball, devastating low-80s curveball, swing-and-miss power slider and an improving changeup give him the arsenal to help the Astros in whatever role they need, whether it’s a starter, piggyback option or late-game reliever.

8. Garrett Mitchell, OF, Brewers

The Brewers technically recalled Mitchell on Aug. 27, but we’ll include him here anyway. The UCLA product has long wowed with his Gold Glove-caliber defense in center field, plus-plus speed and overall elite athleticism that stands out on a baseball field. How much he’ll hit has long been a question, but he has the plus raw power to drive the ball over the fence when he squares one up and can quickly turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples with his speed. Even if he doesn’t make enough quality contact to be a consistent offensive threat, his defense in center field should help the Brewers down the stretch as they push for a wild card spot.

From BA's FCL 2022 Top 10 Prospects: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... prospects/

1. Miguel Bleis, OF, Red Sox

Bleis signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2021 and spent his first U.S. season dominating the competition until a late back injury shut him down on Aug. 11. Bleis shows solid bat-to-ball skills and plenty of impact on contact, including a league-best 23 extra-base hits. He’ll have to refine his approach against breaking pitches, but his offensive gifts are clear. Bleis plays an effortless center field and is a sure bet to stick there thanks to plus speed, outstanding range and an arm that grades at least above-average.

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... r-fans-14/

Matt Wallner, OF, Twins: Wallner hit for the cycle and added an extra double for a five-hit day. Wallner doubled in the first inning and singled in the third. He hit a no-doubt long home run to right field in the fourth, leaving him only a triple short of the cycle. He struck out in the fifth. But in the eight, he hit a hard and well-placed line drive that first bounced at the lip of the infield grass. But it carried all the way to the wall, and Wallner was at full speed. He barely beat the throw for the triple and the cycle. He then added a two-run double later in the eighth to cap Triple-A St. Paul’s 18-6 win over Omaha.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's Prospect Standouts, 2022: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/fant ... gust-2022/

Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Rangers

Listed Height: 6-foot-2
Listed Weight: 214 pounds
DOB (Age): February 12, 1998 (24)

Season Stats

Level PA HR K% BB% Whiff% SB AVG OBP SLG
ACL 29 3 17.2 10.3 26 0 .240 .345 .600
AAA 80 6 20.0 5.0 26 1 .311 .363 .635
Total 109 9 19.3 6.4 26 1 .293 .358 .626

Statcast Batted Ball Data

Level BBE Avg EV Max EV Hard Hit% Barrel% Chase%
AAA 43 91.0 109.7 51 16 38

For the second straight year, Jung suffered a serious injury in the spring (labrum tear this year) that cost him a large chunk of the season. Upon his return to game action in late July, he picked up where he left off. Now, across forty Triple-A games over the last two years, he has fifteen home runs and a staggering .653 slugging percentage. Jung has little left to prove in the minors and will likely receive a late-season promotion in the coming weeks.

Jung has developed from a hit-over-power prospect coming out of college into a bona fide power hitter. His leveraged swing and feel for barreling the ball allow him to tap into all of his plus raw power in games. Meanwhile, his once-lauded hit tool likely falls short of a plus projection due to his slightly aggressive approach, exacerbated over his small sample in Triple-A this year, and some underlying swing-and-miss. Still, Jung should hit for both average, buoyed by the quality of his contact, and power, and could develop into a .270/30 force in short order.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ue-debuts/

Hunter Brown, RHP, Astros – Brown’s highly anticipated major league debut went about as well as one could hope for. The flame-throwing righthander pitched six scoreless innings with three hits allowed, one walk and five strikeouts in his first big league start to earn the win in the Astros 1-0 win over the Rangers. Brown dominated with a fastball that averaged 96 mph and touched 98 and a low-90s slider that peaked at 95.7 mph—the hardest slider thrown this year by any pitcher aside from Mets ace Jacob deGrom.
Braves

Post by Braves »

FROM MLB Pipeline's Prospect Team of the Week: https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-team- ... e-coverage

OF: Matt Wallner, St. Paul Saints (Triple-A)
Twins No. 5
.435/.552/.913, 6 G, 10-for-23, 1 HR, 6 2B, 1 3B, 9 RBI, 7 R, 6 BB, 8 K

Wallner was so locked in on Sep. 1 against Omaha that he didn't even realize he was a triple shy of the cycle until he hit second base on a ball in the gap and heard his teammates cheering him on from the dugout. He made it to third safely and even added another double in one of the most dominant games in St. Paul's history, dating back to the franchise's existence as an independent team. Two days later, the 24-year-old was at it again, posting his second three-hit game of the week -- his first two since his mid-July promotion to Triple-A. Now playing in his native Twin Cities, the left-handed slugging Wallner is sporting a season-long OPS of .963 with 26 home runs.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's WMTP: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... -strength/

Matt Wallner, LF/RF, Minnesota Twins (Triple-A St. Paul)
Drafted by the Twins out of Southern Miss with the 39th-overall selection in the 2019 draft, the 24-year-old Minnesota native is a left-handed, slugging corner outfielder on the verge of making his MLB debut. Wallner has slashed .280/.417/.545 with 26 homers and 56 extra-base hits across the highest two levels of the Twins farm system this season, with a Futures Game appearance in between. Listed at 6-foot-5 and 220-pounds, Wallner generates effortless natural power with his large frame and left-handed stroke. His 30% strikeout rate is a bit high, but acceptable considering he’s a power hitter that also walks at an 18% clip.

Wallner plays a solid corner outfield and runs the bases with vigor, swiping nine bags in 14 attempts this season, but his primary role is that of run producer from the middle of the lineup. Turning 25 in December, Wallner’s time is now and he should be a key offensive component in the Minnesota lineup in the coming years

From BA's Found in Translation article: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... b-success/

Osleivis Basabe, 3B/SS, Rays
Age 21 season: .335/.395/.477 (139 OPS+)
Double-A Montgomery (51 G) | High-A Bowling Green (55 G)

The Rays added Basabe when they traded Nate Lowe to the Rangers after the 2020 season. He has steadily hit his way up the minor league ladder in the two seasons since, reaching Double-A in late June. Basabe is a line-drive hitter who owns a career .320 average and .379 on-base percentage. He runs and throws well and is more than capable at each infield position. What he hasn’t shown is home run power, but that could be an adjustment away because he’s a strong athlete.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's Heat Check: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... o-wallner/

Matt Wallner, OF, Minnesota Twins (Triple-A St. Paul): .349 (15-43), 8 R, 7 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 5 BB, 11 K.
A native of the Twin Cities, Wallner’s big-time power bat has him on the verge of a major league debut in his hometown. There’s top-of-the-scale raw power in the profile and he’s displaying it in games more than ever before. He’s putting the ball in the air more thanks to a revamped swing path, and the approach at the plate has also improved since being drafted 39th overall in 2019. There’s always going to be some swing and miss in his game, but he’s chasing less out of the zone, taking more walks, and finding better pitches to hit. It’s a classic corner outfield profile, and the improved power production is likely to land him in Minnesota’s lineup sometime in 2023.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's A's 2022 Minor League Player of the Year: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -the-year/

When Shea Langeliers came west, he carried a mountain of expectations.

The Athletics had made the difficult decision to tear down and rebuild, a bitter toxin for a fan base that had grown to love its team with homegrown cornerstone players Matt Olson and Matt Chapman.

Langeliers was the highest-ranked prospect acquired in Oakland's flurry of deals last offseason that parted with Olson and Chapman as well as starting pitchers Chris Bassitt and Sean Manaea.

Langeliers responded with a season that provides some hope for the Athletics’ future. He hit .283/.366/.510 with 19 home runs in 92 games for Triple-A Las Vegas and was named MVP of the Futures Game prior to his Aug. 16 callup to Oakland.

“From the first time I saw him, I liked everything about him,” A’s farm director Ed Sprague said. “He’s a solid catcher, throws well and has a nice, flat swing through the zone. He uses the whole field. He’s a defensive-minded catcher who can hit.”

The defense is what draws the raves.

“He is totally about helping a pitcher get through the game,” Sprague said. “That’s his No. 1 goal.”

Sprague grades the 24-year-old Langeliers at a plus at both catching and throwing, and the rookie adjusted well to working with Oakland pitchers.

Sprague also sees Langeliers as a plus hitter. He currently rates his power as average, but with a chance to increase as the 6-foot catcher gains strength and experience. Langeliers is a slightly below-average runner and is significantly faster than most catchers.

“He’s very well-liked,” Sprague said. “He’s very personable—a very humble guy and very confident.”

Langeliers grew up in Keller, Texas, before advancing to Baylor and becoming the ninth overall pick in the 2019 draft by the Braves. He ranked as the No. 1 prospect in the Double-A Southern League in 2021 and was part of the March 14 deal that sent Olson to Atlanta and brought Cristian Pache, Ryan Cusick and Joey Estes to Oakland.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Astros 2022 Minor League Player of the Year: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -the-year/

Hunter Brown’s breakout came with a delayed reward.

The 24-year-old righthander pounded Triple-A Pacific Coast League lineups for far longer than he should have this season, but he could not crack a Houston rotation that was, at times, seven deep.

Brown bided his time in relative silence. His blue collar work ethic is among his most revered traits. He sports a no-nonsense, head-down mentality derived from his upbringing in Detroit.

At Triple-A Sugar Land, Brown blossomed into one of baseball’s best pitching prospects, pairing a mid-90s four-seam fastball with two elite breaking pitches. No Triple-A pitcher with at least 100 innings had a lower ERA than Brown’s 2.55 mark. He struck out 134 batters in 106 innings, too.

After Brown's impressive stint in big league spring training, Astros coaches and executives implored him to improve his command. In 2021, Brown walked 4.5 batters per nine innings, posted a 1.42 WHIP and averaged 17.5 pitches per inning.

Brown lowered all three rates in the minors this season— 3.8 walks per nine, a 1.08 WHIP and 16.7 pitches per innings—while impressing scouts with a better ability to repeat his delivery. Brown said he gained more trust in throwing his breaking balls for strikes early in counts, too.

Brown’s arsenal is built around his four-seam fastball, one that touched 99.8 mph at the Futures Game in July. He sits around 96 mph and can elevate the pitch for swinging strikes.

Brown can generate groundball contact with both his curveball and slider. He had a 54% groundball rate at Sugar Land this season, resulting in double plays that helped him escape from some command-induced jams.

September roster expansion finally opened a spot for Brown in Houston. He was called up on Sept. 2.

Brown held the Rangers scoreless across six innings in his MLB debut before his journey reached a sweet apex. He made his second MLB start at Detroit's Comerica Park, with a throng of family, friends and former Wayne State University teammates in attendance.

Brown walked just two batters, got two massive groundball double plays and punched out six with a fastball that peaked near 99 mph—taking some lessons learned from a long minor league season into a big league rotation audition.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Giants 2022 Minor League Player of the Year: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -the-year/

To say lefthander Kyle Harrison was dominant at High-A Eugene would be putting it mildly. In seven starts, he recorded a 1.55 ERA and whiffed 59 hitters in 29 innings.

That earned him a May 27 promotion to Double-A Richmond. The 21-year-old's numbers in the Eastern League were outstanding. In 18 starts he struck out 127 in 84 innings with a 3.11 ERA.

“I thought Double-A would be much more of a challenge for him than what it’s been,” Giants farm director Kyle Haines said. “At times, it just looks like he’s on another level compared to that competition.”

The Giants’ third-round pick in 2020 from high school in Concord, Calif., relies mainly on two pitches: a mid-90s fastball and a sharp slider.

“He can make a hitter look foolish with two different pitches,” Haines said. “He’s just usually trying to pick which one he wants the hitter to look foolish on, whether it’s the fastball or the slider.”

Harrison has been working on a changeup with Richmond pitching coach Paul Oseguera, whom he worked with at Low-A San Jose last season. Harrison has been trying figure out not only the best way to throw the change but how often to do so.

“I think I was throwing it a little too much,” Harrison said. “I threw it too much one of my outings and didn’t have the best results . . . It’s just a matter of time before I fully harness that thing, hopefully.”

Haines likes Harrison’s stuff and demeanor. “He’s a really good competitor,” Haines said, “but he also is in control of his emotions so well.”

That even-keel attitude also helps Harrison manage expectations about when he'll reach the big leagues.

“I don’t really think about it too much,” Harrison said. “I’m not going to stress too much on things I can’t control.”

Haines was noncommittal about Harrison's projected ETA but said "it’ll be fun to watch as 2023 develops and see where his growth takes him.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's AFL Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ek-102422/

2. Connor Thomas, LHP, Cardinals
Team: Salt River

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 2.25, 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: In his third start of the AFL, Thomas accomplished a very rare feat. He struck out 10 hitters in his four innings, which has only been done five times since 2005. According to research by MLB, the only other pitchers to record double-digit strikeouts in a Fall League game are Kyle Zimmer, Jered Weaver, Phil Hughes, Tommy Hanson and Bill Murphy. Thomas’ 17 strikeouts lead the league.
Braves

Post by Braves »

Another BA AFL Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ek-103122/

6. Connor Thomas, LHP, Cardinals
Team: Salt River

Why He’s Here: 0-0, 1.80, 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: In an AFL season that’s already included the rare game with double-digit strikeouts, Thomas has continued his mastery of the competition. He punched out seven more hitters this week, extending his league-best total to 24, four ahead of Mesa reliever Evan Reifert.

7. Tyler Black, OF, Brewers
Team: Glendale

Why He’s Here: .400/.438/.600 (6-for-15), 1 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 BB, 3 SO

The Scoop: Black was limited by injury to just 64 games during the regular season, all with High-A Wisconsin. The Wright State alum entered the week with just one extra-base hit (a home run) to his name. He quadrupled that total by slashing three doubles as part of his six hits on the week.

Return to “The Brave Blue Ballers”