Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Carter Kieboom, Tristen 17-Lutz, Grayson 18-Rodriguez to Twins for Joc Pederson, Ryan Pressly, Hunter Dozier

Kieboom is a top 20 prospect and has laid waste to AAA as a 21 year old. If he ends up not being an SS, it puts a lot of pressure on the bat...but the kid can hit. Grayson Rodriguez is a top 50 guy who has the size and stuff to be at least a #3, with #1 potential. Lutz is a consistently regarded OF prospect who's a #4 of at worst, but could certainly develop into more.

And we just keep dragging this thing full circle. Joc Pederson keeps being streaky, but keeps playing all across the outfield, getting on-base, and hitting bombs. And he's still only 27. Hunter Dozier has always been a highly regarded hitting prospect, and he's absolutely broken out this year. He's laid waste to the AL to the tune of an ops over .900. He also has some positional versatility, which will help. Ryan Pressley is one of the top relievers in the game. I keep Bichette, Urias, Waters, and Sanchez, lose some tough ones, but give my team a real boost.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Luis Torrens, Nick 18-Schnell, Reds Draft Pick 4 to DBacks for Anthony DeSclafani, Tim Locastro, DBacks Draft Pick 5

Nick Schnell is a really fun player who doubles as an '18. Torrens had been a well thought of prospect who absolutely exploded this year at AA...and he's a catcher.

Tim Locastro is a very versatile player who gets on base at a very strong clip. He's not awesome, but he's a functional player if all falls apart with others players on my team. DeSclafani is someone I've always liked. It's crazy he's only 29. I comfortably see him continuing to sit in the middle of the rotation for years...so long as he stays healthy.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Reds traded Marcell Ozuna to Nationals for Jesus Sanchez, Colton Welker, Taylor 17-Walls

Sanchez is a Top 50ish prospect. He stings the ball, but he definitely strikes out too much right now. If he can cut into his K's, he could be a superstar. Welker had a tough year, but he's still very young with a lot of upside. Walls is a prospect I really like. He's an absolute SS with some real bat-to-ball abilities. He has a high floor for a mid-tier prospect.

Ozuna is back in Washington. He was having a terrible 2018, after a fantastic 2017, until he broke out mid-year...and has kept it going in 2019. He's learned to take a walk better, and his power has returned. His defense isn't awesome, but it's good enough. He's just into his prime and the bat should age well as long as he can keep his eye...and strikeouts...in check.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Drew 17-Waters, WhiteSox Draft Pick 3 to Braves for Brandon Nimmo, Braves Draft Pick 5

I think Drew Waters is going to be awesome. Legit awesome. This was a really tough trade. I had no real interest in moving him.

But so is Nimmo. He's a year and an injury off a 4.4 war season and he's still at a .370 obp despite his crap. I'm a believer that a fully healthy year sees an .850 ops with a .400 obp. But it's quite a bet against Waters.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Isan Diaz, Kyle Schwarber, Jose 16-Devers to Nationals for Marcell Ozuna, Luis Urias, DShawn 17-Knowles

Ozuna is a perfectly fine starting LF who still has a higher ceiling, but, at 29, he probably is what he is. Knowles is a fine prospect who has a big upside but is very far away. Urias is the toughest loss. I've loved him for a while. I think he'll win a batting title, but, on top of what I get back, I also have Edman and Brosseau to play 2b for me.

Devers is a really fun prospect who's always young for his level, yet always finds a way to hit. He just has to stay on the field. Isan Diaz was thought of as an upside prospect who may not make it, until this year when he absolutely exploded on the scene in AAA. He has very real first division starter potential with ok defense, but real upside for homers and obp. The get is Schwarber. I've been after him for a while. He was otherworldly over the second half of the year, and has a way to anchor my offense that Ozuna just couldn't.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Tommy Edman, Luis Barrera to Twins for Steve Cishek, Brian Dozier, John Brebbia

I like Edman a lot. I genuinely believe that he will be a starting level hitter and fielder, and more than just a utility guy. All this said, I like Isan Diaz' long-term prospects more than I do his, and I like Dozier in the short term. I also like Barrera quite a lot. I think he's at least a 4th of.

I also know that I completely lack any semblance of a bullpen, or a starting 2b where I'm not having to rely on a good Edman SIM. Dozier steps in to the 2b role. He's clearly on the decline, but still popped 20 hr's with a .340 obp in a tough hitters park in DC. He'll fit just fine as the #7 hitter in my lineup. Brebbia is a reliever on the ascent who's had two very good years, with a good K rate, and the SIM already likes him. Cishek is not good enough to pitch at the end of games any more, but is still a very successful middle reliever at this point in his career.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rangers traded Marlins Draft Pick 3 to Nationals for Cody Stashak

Stashak is a good, young, fun reliever.

The 3rd round pick is good, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded James 15-Kaprielian, MJ Melendez, Jose 16-Devers to Giants for Anibal Sanchez, Yoenis Cespedes

I like all of the guys I traded. Think Devers will be an above average contact hitter. Think Melendez' defense will carry him if the bat doesn't come around. I also think Kaprielian is going to be an up-and-down MLB starter...and probably more if he can stay healthy.

I got two guys on the downside...but not useless. Sanchez is coming off his second consecutive strong season and should fit as a legit middle/back rotation option. The SIM loves Cespedes. Even with all his injuries, he got another very real SIM. All his incentives are tied to playing time...so I'm hopeful he's jacked for this season. Both players will absolutely help my depth.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Re:

Post by Mets »

I clicked on this by accident - but found this gem of scouting:

"Clayton is clearly going to be an MLB starter, and will be a stalwart in whatever rotation he joins"

Nationals wrote:
> [b]Nationals trades Clayton Blackburn, Tigers Draft Pick 2, Kevin
> 0-Kiermaier, to Reds for Patrick 12-Wisdom, Johnathan 12-Williamson,[/b]
>
> This trade was tough. The 2nd round pick and Kiermaier are both good
> assets, but Blackburn was rough to let go. Clayton is clearly going to be
> an MLB starter, and will be a stalwart in whatever rotation he
> joins...he'll just never front it. His stuff plays to the middle of the
> rotation, but could be as low as back-end if he doesn't get all the way
> there.
>
> Patrick Wisdom is a player who has some upside. He's absolutely a 3b, and
> has some pop and obp skills with the bat. The problem is that he just
> doesn't ever really hit the ball. He did not have a great season, but he's
> young, and there's talent there...and he's in a good organization for
> development.
>
> Mac Williamson was the guy I wanted, though. He offers terrific power and
> is coming off of an outstanding 2nd half of the season. He's a good
> athlete for a man his size, and he'll be able to stay in the outfield. He
> has a classic corner profile, and though he has some swing and miss in his
> game. There is a dearth of power in the minors right now, and Mac is a
> player who carries that tool in a big way.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Archie Bradley to Nationals for Anthony DeSclafani

I targeted DeSclafani, I really like DeSclafani, and I think he's a legit middle rotation starter. The SIM does not like him nearly as much as I do.

Archie Bradley is a youngish reliever who's been very effective and someone the SIM likes, even those some of his peripherals are not trending appropriately.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Albert Abreu to Yankees for Reyes Moronta

Here's a deal ripe with risk. Abreu has a top of the rotation arm. He's just wildly inconsistent, has never consistently got hitters out, struggles to stay on the mound, and will pitch this season as a 24 year old. Maybe he's an ace? Maybe he's a lights out reliever? Maybe he's a AAAA player? Maybe his arm falls off? It's all on the table.

But there's a ton of questions with Moronta, too. He's a young 27 year old who was in the process of establishing himself as one of the NL's elite relievers before a sore shoulder turned into a torn labrum & TJ. He should get a very good sim and be back towards the middle of 2020...but will he get himself back to the reliever he was becoming? Certainly remains to be seen.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Giants traded Jedd Gyorko to Nationals for Mike Brosseau

Brosseau broke out last year, might be a very real bat, and can play multiple positions. He's a perfect Ray.

Gyorko was atrocious last year, but the sim has always liked him. He'll retain his versatility and he got a good SIM. I don't have a clear path for Brosseau to get real time at any point, so I'll buy the SIM for now.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Rowan Wick, Hunter Wood, Bo Bichette to Rangers for Adrian Houser, Eloy Jimenez, Pablo Lopez, James Karinchak

Wick and Wood are fine relievers in their own right. But we all know that's not why we're here. Bichette is an electric young player who capably plays a premium position with thunder in his bat. Saying 'yes' to trading him was really tough.

But the return was more than fair. Houser broke out last year and is an immediate upgrade to my rotation. Lopez is a scout and sim favorite who has the looks of a mid-rotation starter for years. Karinchak is absolutely fascinating relief prospect who has the upside of a shut down closer...but has very real command issues. The get is clearly Eloy Jimenez. He was one of the top 3 prospects in the game before he went out and bombed 31 homers in only 500 ab's. He has the potential to be an even more valuable player than Bichette...but the bat will have to continue to develop for that to hold true. But he certainly has the upside to be a true middle of the order monster.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Zack Brown to Brewers for Brock Holt

I created Zack Brown, and I'm a big Zack Brown believer. He got lit up a little at AAA last year, but so did most pitchers. While there's probably little chance he's anything above a mid-rotation starter, it's difficult to conceive a universe that he's not pitching some quality back-end innings.

Holt seems like he's been around for a hundred years and he continues to quietly be an important player for the Red Sox covering a number of positions competently with a slightly above average bat. The SIM appreciates him and he'll be an important player for me in 2020. Guys like him always seem to get a stretch of at-bats in the season that help keep you in the playoff chase.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Mariners traded Ken Giles, Chris Taylor to Nationals for Isan Diaz, Jordan Yamamoto, Jake Rogers

The Mariners got 3 very good young players, all moderately established, all 23 or younger. Rogers is an incredibly plus defender at catcher with pop...the big question is if his hitting can handle MLB pitching. Yamamoto was a helium prospect this year with a very intriguing run at MLB that included a low whip and a strong k/9. Diaz is the biggest overall name. He was breaking into top 100 lists with a monster year at AAA and looks to be the starting 2b for the Marlins this year.

Taylor will slot in as my starting SS, but I'm sure I'll use his versatility. He's just a good MLB player who the SIM quite likes. Giles is a dominant reliever who returned to form this past season and will help close down games alongside Pressley. A lot of current value for a lot of future value.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Eloy Jimenez to Athletics for Gary Sanchez, Taylor 0-Guilbeau

I entertained a lot of offers for Jimenez. And I should have. He's awesome. He's also a Jagger favorite from his time in Eugene. He's even got a badass bobblehead. He may never be a great defender, but it won't matter. He's a middle of the order monster for the next decade.

I'm willing to take the L on this deal for a few reasons. One, I love the Kraken. He's a beast and he's a catcher, and, most importantly, he's a Yankee. Why have a fantasy baseball team if you can't root for your favorite players? He's also in his prime, in the best shape of his life, and working directly with the guy who unlocked Garver. Second, while lacking an absolute monster, my lineup is now relentless top to bottom...with significant bench depth. And, third, this has to give me one of of the best bullpens in the IBC. Guilbeau got an excellent SIM from the left side, which will compliment Pressley, Giles, Karinchak, Bradley, and Bednar at the top from the right.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Devin Smeltzer to Rays for Jose Castillo

Let's start with I'm a Devin Smeltzer guy...as is the SIM. While an effective MiLB pitcher for his whole career, he broke out this past season all the way to MLB. And the SIM, and a lot of scouts, bought it. How the Twins will use him is a mystery...but, given his young age, I can't imagine they'll short starters IP's for relief innings...yet. But he wouldn't crack my rotation, nor my bullpen, nor make the team as my top swing guy. So, while I love him, I've got depth around him.

My lefty relievers totaled Aguilar and Guilbeau...so I wanted to round it out a little more. Castillo was utterly dominant since being converted into a reliever in 2016, and looked to be one of the breakout lefty relievers as a 22 year old in SD in 2018. Injury turned 2019 into a lost season for the youngster, but the SIM still loves him to the tune of 12 k's/9, a 1.16 whip, and a 3.39 fip. He looks to begin 2020 as the top lefty in an uber-deep Padres pen...fingers crossed. My bullpen should be a real strength.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Albert Almora, Griffin Canning to Giants for Howie Kendrick, Sonny Gray

Let's attack the negatives first. I got a LOT older. Like a lot. And I'm not convinced Almora is done yet. He's not even in his prime yet. But Canning is really the loss. I gave up my 1st for him because I'm a big believer. If he stays healthy I genuinely believe he can pitch towards the top of a rotation. He's going to be a fantastic pitcher for a long time.

Kendrick is old...but he won't stop hitting. He'll assume my 2b duties and hit towards the top of the lineup. The get is Gray. I've officially moved as far away from Yankee Stadium as possible, so we should be ok. He'll sit atop my rotation, which, all of a sudden, looks a lot better with Wood and Houser dropping down. It's still the weak point on the team...but it's above average at the very least, now.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Yankees traded Kevin Pillar to Nationals for Antoine 19-Kelly

Kelly was a guy on my list who I really liked...but while my outfield is good, the defense is not that great. Pillar will have strong defense that will help in late games, and he's good enough to make an impact if there are injuries. No matter how deserving you think he was, trading a prospect for a dude who got an MVP vote and fills a hole is decent business.

Nationals traded Archie Bradley, Brian Dozier to Phillies for Tirso 0-Ornelas, Drey 19-Jameson, Nick 17-Maton

Bradley's a good reliever who got a good SIM. I just have 800 relievers. Dozier is fading, but still has a solid SIM. I just have have some 2b's that would play over him.

Maton moved all the way up to AA, is a legit SS, and he has proven to be able to get on base with a little pop. He's most likely a super-utility type, but there is very real ability to be a first-division starter if the bat continues to develop. Ornelas has a gigantic ceiling, including a beautiful swing and serious pop, he's just never put up the numbers. He's still just 20 and ended in HA...so he's got time on his side. I like Jameson...a lot. He's undersized and has a funky delivery, but he has very real stuff. Two legitimate breaking pitches bolster a fastball that hits 98 and a show-me changeup that does turnover. If he can stay healthy and keep good control, there's a legitimate #2 type arm and stuff here.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Brandon Nimmo, Matt Boyd, Padres Draft Pick 2 to Tigers for Tyler Anderson, Joey Gallo, Brent Honeywell, Tigers Draft Pick 5

This deal came together pretty quickly. Pat had asked about Boyd a couple times. He's a really solid starter with a good SIM. Nimmo has the upside of a 5-6 win player if he can stay healthy. The 2nd round pick will be about 45ish in a crapshoot draft...so could be better than normal.

I'm excited about my end. Anderson and Honeywell both have decent SIMs. Anderson? Who knows? Honeywell is a former/current top 100 prospect who's had a tough time staying on the field...but has a big upside if he can stay on the mound. The get is obviously Gallo. He's young and an absolute monster...if he can keep his bat on the ball. He's also still only 26. He got COVID...but he's back. I think this deal gets me younger and better...but certainly takes on more risk.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Brent Honeywell, Padres Draft Pick 1 to Marlins for Michael Fulmer

Think this one will be a good one for both. Honeywell is a former top prospect who's a super wild card. He's got great stuff when healthy, but he'll be 26 next year and won't have pitched meaningful games in '18, '19, or '20. That said, I think, with the Rays, he's worth the gamble. And the first should be early 20's...which will be good.

Fulmer is coming off an injury himself. But he was turning into a legit mid-rotation-maybe-#2-starter...and he's back healthy. He can fill the void left by Boyd in a pretty substantial way...I hope.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Justin Turner, Twins Draft Pick 3 to Padres for Aaron Civale, Padres Draft Pick 4

Civale is going to be a good, mid-rotation starter.

Turner is older, but I'm definitely weaker on the dirt than anywhere else, and Turner is one of the better SIM players in the game. He'll shore up the lineup for a couple years. The pick swap will help the age difference.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates traded Eduardo Escobar, Shed Long to Padres for Jedd Gyorko, Ken Giles

Ken Giles may have been crap for me in the SIM, but he's got one of the best relieving SIMs in the game. And Gyorko is a low key solid SIM player who has versatility and can hit. He's also doing well in real life, too. JP got better overall.

But Escobar has a hell of a SIM. He'll play for me all over the field, and will be the ready fill-in for Turner when I need to transition a 3b. I like Long, too. Think there's a 2nd-division starter there that can play for me when Kendrick/Escobar are done. Think I got better, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Justin Turner, Eduardo Escobar, Sonny Gray, Joey Gallo, Ryan Pressly to Twins for Carter Kieboom, A.J. Puk, Nolan Jones, Hunter 19-Bishop

And the rebuild begins! This trade fills a lot of holes for Gudim and makes him an immediate contender in the ALC. He gets 5 guys that will immediately impact/upgrade his lineup, bench, rotation, and pen. It's huge.

On my end, after talking to a few people and gauging value, it seemed like Gray had solid value, but the rest where way more tepid. People worried about Gallo's K's, Escobar's 2020, Turner's age, and Pressley as a reliever. So, given the individual pieces I'd get back wouldn't be awesome, it was about using them to maximize Gray/Gallo.

Think the jury is still out on Puk's long-term value, but there's no doubting his pure stuff...and he showed he can handle MLB in 2020. The SIM and evaluators love Nolan Jones...and me, too. Hard to see him as anything below a league average 3b with a ton of upside. Bishop is an athletic monster who broke out his junior year of college and carried it into his first year as a pro. I love his upside with his new ability to work counts and seek better pitches to drive. I overloaded the deal for Kieboom. I've been a huge fan for a while. He got a bigger taste of MLB last year and held his own again after an excellent MiLB career. Wherever he stays long-term, the bat will play.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates traded Jake 17-Burger, Alex Faedo, Phillies Draft Pick 3, Pirates Draft Pick 4 to Padres for Howie Kendrick, John Brebbia, Tigers Draft Pick 5

Kendrick just won't stop being a SIM stud as he approaches 40. And the SIM liked Brebbia before his TJ.

Burger was a highly projected bat before injury problems set him back years. He played college wood bat and the White Sox said he looked great when he got to fall camp...so much so that he'll probably be protected by the White Sox on the 40-man. Faedo is not a super sexy prospect, but there's a lot of belief he'll be a back-end starter as he matures...and he's pretty close. I also get a 3rd round pick, and a late round swap for my troubles.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”