Rule 5 Signings Overturned

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Rule 5 Signings Overturned

Post by Cardinals »

Last week, FanGraphs posted a new article with Rule 5 picks and their projections. These signings are to be overturned and the players will be subject to their teams' ZiPS bidding. (Article here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs ... e-5-draft/)

Per the rules:
"ZiPS bidding is a process that covers both teams acquiring players when their ZiPS projections are released each winter and also players who leave the US to play elsewhere and return to an MLB team."
The players signed are subject to ZiPS bidding. If the team's projections already came out, the player will have his own thread. The players are Mark Payton, Trevor Megill, Vimael Machin and Dany Jimenez.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Re: Rule 5 Signings Overturned

Post by Marlins »

Didnt some of these signings happen before the zips article came out?
Reds

Post by Reds »

I thought mine did. I signed him because the Reds selected him.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

I've been saying for years that signing Rule V guys shouldn't be first come / first serve as not everyone can be around a computer when the draft happens.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Reds

Post by Reds »

Rule 5 preview articles came out well before the draft, so plenty of opportunities to sign guys prior. I only signed Payton because the Reds drafted him and I’m a bit of a homer, so having actual Reds players makes the league more fun.
Reds

Post by Reds »

So I’m contesting having to release Payton, because I believe I may have signed him before the ZiPS were released, and that’s what the rule is about. Exco please review. Thanks.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Was there a ruling on this? I just got back in town from holiday travels. I signed machin right after the draft certainly before the article came out. Can’t remember the time stamps on Jimenez
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Giants wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm Was there a ruling on this? I just got back in town from holiday travels. I signed machin right after the draft certainly before the article came out. Can’t remember the time stamps on Jimenez
Delayed ruling from ExCo on this since we've been varying degrees of away, but the players are subject to ZiPS bidding. We're going to have larger changes next offseason to account for some of the loopholes that we've inadvertently created and happy to take suggestions from everybody on what they'd like to see changed in 2020/21 if somebody would like to make a thread.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

This doesnt make sense. Zips bidding is on guys once their zips projections are posted or for guys coming back to the US. There is no rule in place that any player picked in the rule 5 draft is also part of the zips bidding. These guys were picked up once they were drafted, before any projections came out. This "ruling" makes it sound like "any news on a player means they're subject to zips bidding." Cmon, we got to draw the line somewhere. AND not make things up as we go along. Dont change rules as we go, take notes on things you perceive as falling through the cracks (tho not sure this is a "crack") and shore up the rules for next year.
Reds

Post by Reds »

I agree. It cost me Payton. Too many variables, some coming late in the process. If I knew these new things prior to ZiPS being released I may have budgeted differently.

Return to “Announcements”