Name: Larry Bestwick

Beantown Maneuvers

Post by Royals »

Taking a page from Dave's notebook...

Orioles trade
Jonny Gomes, Brandon Lyon
to RedSox for
Aaron 5-Cunningham, Ambiorix Burgos

Here we moved a useful if unspectacular prospect in Cunningham along with Burgos, who had TJ and was signed off waivers late in the season for a pair of more useful players for a contending team. Lyon had a very nice season as a reliever and should be useful in the bullpen. Jonny Gomes has long been a favorite in Boston and his value is at a low point which we expect it to rebound from. At the least he should be a good power bat off the bench, especially against lefties.
Last edited by Royals on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Giants trade
Manny Delcarmen, 2007 Draft, Pick 16
to RedSox for
2007 Draft, Pick 12, 2007 Draft, Pick 24

Another small scale deal for the Sox, but one which gets us what we need without giving up on what we want. The #16 pick keeps us in range of the players we're hoping to draft in January while still allowing us to pick up a nice young arm for the bullpen in Manny Delcarmen. Manny is reportedly thrilled to be returning home to Boston to pitch for his beloved Red Sox. He'lls slot in ahead of Lyon as the principal set-up man behind Hideki Okajima.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Another trade...
Boston gets 2007 Draft, Pick 13, Elijah Dukes, Andy LaRoche
Rangers get 2007 Draft, Pick 114, Kevin Millwood, Carlos Lee

This was a move I debated internally a lot. lee is the biggest bat in my lineup along with Travis Hafner. He fits perfectly the profile of the type of hitter I want and moving him was something I was very reluctant to do.
However, Laroche also fits the profile I'm going for, is younger by 8 years and plays a more premium position. Laroche had a less than ideal premiere in MLB, but he was 23, had a very strong season in AAA and even though he didn't hit great in LA, he still managed a .363 OBP
Dukes is a huge gamble. I'd give him a 25% chance of ending up in the slammer next season, a 25% chance of playing the OF somewhere and a 50% chance of ending up somewhere in between. What will he do if given the chance? given that he had a .709 OPS even with a .190 batting average. He still has considerable upside if he can get his life turned around.
The pick is what it is and should help me restock what's become a pretty barren farm system. it remains to be seen what will be available there, so only time will tell.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Boston gets 2007 Draft, Pick 18
Washington gets Coco Crisp

Crisp has slipped further and further down my depth cart over the offseason and, had he started for me this coming season, he would have been the weakest link in my outfield, one whose only assets were his speed and defense. Wells should certainly be an upgrade over Crisp. He had shoulder trouble in 2007, but he should be fine once he's healthy. The pick will allow me to continue restocking my farm system with picks 13, 16 and 18.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Sox Sign Jose 0-Capellan
Capellan is a lefty starter who spent the season at Single A Lowell. He's got a plus change, plus curve and an 89-91mph fastball with plus command. He'll be 21 this coming season and it should be interesting to see how he does stepping up a level. Kevin Goldstein picked him as Boston's prospect sleeper pick and his 71/11 k/bb ratio in 75 IP make him truly one to watch out for.

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”