Giants Trade Log

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Giants Trade Log

Post by Giants »

I believe this is my first trade since the franchise was officially switched and boy is it a boring one!

Giants get:
Santiago Casilla

Royals get:
Ryne 13-Stanek

With Sean Doolittle a question mark I figured I'd add another real life closer to the bullpen in order to provide some insurance. Until Doolittle comes back Street will close, Rondon will handle the 8th, and Casilla can pitch the 7th, we can survive with that. Meanwhile Ryne Stanek is a nice little lottery ticket with a crazy low floor and mid-rotation upside. If he becomes the next Rays badass SP prospect I'll be bummed, but it's a decent risk. My gut instinct is that Stanek ends up a bullpen guy, in which case I'll take the bullpen guy I just got.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Giants

Post by Giants »

And I guess this will be the second. What a boring season on the trade front.

Giants get:
CJ Wilson

Mets get:
Cody Anderson

Cody had a nice couple of starts in his big league debut, but crashed in his last one. He basically has some upside as a weak contact generation machine, and should be a good mid-rotation starter in the future. But I'm looking to win now so I cashed him in for CJ who will be a nice upgrade at the back of the rotation and will give the flexibility to stick Danny Duffy in the bullpen during the playoffs if we ge that far.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Deadline Mania!!!!

Giants get:
Josh Phegley
Pedro Alvarez

Nationals get:
Mitch Moreland
Erik Goeddel

Basically I'm trading for LH 1B/RH C platoon next year. I need a good right handed hitting catcher so that I can play Buster every day. Moreland is a nice player but he's going to be a big platoon guy who doesn't stay healthy and I picked him up as a free agent so since Z really likes him so when McKenry got hurt we both saw Phegley as an obvious match. Farewell Mike and your blown knee and DL penalty, we really appreciate the first half of MVP caliber performance. Phegley is a really good player, the more I looked at his numbers the more I liked them. I think he has a chance to break out, and at the very least he'll be a solid platoon catcher. Remember he was a top prospect at one point before he got that weird blood disease. There's some chance that he's a real breakout next year, and if I didn't already have Buster I would have happily done a straight up trade. Since I have Buster, Pedro Alvarez is necessary to replace Moreland as the strong side of that platoon. He's got a chance to do what Moreland does with more pop and fewer walks. Between him, Moss, and Jaso one should be a useful hitter each year for the next few years.

Goeddel was hard to trade because he went to elementary school with my brother (I still haven't really forgiven him for not playing on their 8th grade flag football team that I coached, we would have totally beaten Charles Armstrong Middle School in the playoffs dammit!), but he's a relief arm lottery ticket. Really good when he's healthy, but he's either got a minor elbow strain or he needs a 3rd Tommy John and they CAN'T TELL because his elbow is such a mess of scar tissue. I'll go ahead and let Z take that risk though I am still rooting for the kid.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Giants Get:
Jake Peavy
Kyle Blanks

Reds Get:
Brandon Moss
Yoan 14-Lopez

So it was pretty obvious that I'd be the one to take Kyle Blanks. Huge guy and a Giant (who I'm reasonably confident will end up stealing the left field job if he stays healthy)? Yes please. He'll plug into left field for the beginning of the season while Brantley recovers and then serve as RH depth this year before becoming my cleanup hitter next year after he hits (approximately) .450 with 80 home runs and 373 RBI in meat space. Meanwhile, I was a little disappointed in CJ Wilson's projection and Peavy has a fully usable 4th starter projection behind the big 2 and Anibal Sanchez. This trade leaves me with Duffy, Peavy, Heston, Wilson and Brett Oberholtzer competing for 2 rotation spots and gives me a little bit of depth, plus maybe Brandon McCarthy in June, which means no repeat of the Jason Lane/Cory Rasmus/Whatever else garbage I had to use last year when everyone but Kluber got hurt.

Moss was redundant to Pedro Alvarez so when Ken expressed interest I saw the opportunity to fill a couple of holes, and Yoan Lopez is the sweetener, he was a big bonus baby in 2014 and while he struggled he's still young and has big stuff, so there's potential. Solid deal for both sides.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Can't believe you called Jason Lane "garbage." He's the only reason you had any success last year :) Zero loyalty in San Francisco...
Giants

Post by Giants »

He also struck out to end the series sweep against the Pirates. It's a what have you done for me lately world.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Giants get:
Jedd Gyorko, Wilmer Font, Ryan Buchter, Alex Colome

Nationals get:
Justus Sheffield, Michael Matuella, Alex Blandino, Cole Tucker

Been crickets around here for awhile. Time to shake some things up. Obviously the highlight here is Sheffield, who is a consensus top 50 prospect, and in exchange for him and some other pieces I get 4 sim upgrades. Adding a legitimate infielder with some pop was priority number 1 for the offseason, especially considering the disappointment with Matt Duffy (this year is for Skeeter!), and Gyorko fits that bill, the kind of player who is classically undervalued in the sim because I can play him 162 games whether the Cardinals do or not, and he can bounce around the infield. Throw in Font, who will slot right into the Mark "Cy" DiFelice memorial rotation spot (which Buddy Baumann disgraced last year but has been held by luminaries like Chris Heston, Tanner Roark, TJ House, Huston Street, and of course Corey Kluber), and two more legit pen arms and I feel pretty good. Shout out to Stephen for helping make this deal possible, I wasn't too psyched to include Matuella but when he cut Tyler Kolek I had a replacement all lined up. Tucker and Blandino I like both, but they are my 3rd and 7th best SS prospects (wow do I have a lot of SS prospects) so I can live with saying goodbye.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Giants wrote:Shout out to Stephen for helping make this deal possible, I wasn't too psyched to include Matuella but when he cut Tyler Kolek I had a replacement all lined up.
Yea, have fun with that pet project, I have enough of my own and rather bet on other long term RP arms to pan out :P

Not to mention I can't cut Cowart yet, still stings....need him to fully fail :cry:
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Giants

Re: Giants Trade Log

Post by Giants »

Let's just lump all the big trades in together, it's been awhile since I've updated this.

Giants Get
Matthew Phillips
Angels get Jake Diekman
Yeah I'm doing this out of order, no one cares about this trade, solid but older reliever for decent prospect. Yay!

Giants Get
Heliot Ramos, Luis Toribio
Rays Get
Hans Crouse, Tarik Skubal
After the other two trades I sent a flier to Kratky about putting the whole band together. A rarity in this league (and I'm as guilty as anyone of not doing this), he responded with a good proposal and this deal was done in 2 PMs. I really do like Crouse, and I think I'll regret giving him up, but he does have that question mark of the bone spur in his elbow and the general volatility of pitchers means if I can get a similarly valued hitter on my favorite team for a risky pitcher its a move I have to make. Skubal is a flier arm with good stats who probably ends up a solid reliever with some lottery ticket potential and Toribio is another Giant putting up interesting numbers with an interesting profile in rookie leagues, trading some floor for some ceiling from my perspective.

Giants Get
Joey Bart, Bryan Reynolds, Orlando Arcia, 2nd and 3rd round picks
Nationals Get
Carter Kieboom, Monte Harrison, Tommy Edman
I gave up three personal favorites here, but the quest to get Joey Bart that started during the draft was ultimately accomplished. Originally Z was trying to pawn Reynolds and Arcia for Kieboom on me with Clint Frazier as the headliner, but without Kieboom. Ultimately thinking about trading prospects for major leaguers made me get a little honest about my current team. Eventually Z traded Frazier but picked up Bart, and suddenly things got cooking. Obviously giving up Kieboom hurts, and I've got a lot emotionally invested in Tommy Edman, but the chance to get Joey Bart and a guy in Arcia who I can plug and play at SS for a couple of years (and who is still young) was something I couldn't pass up. It also meant that I realized it was time to move on from my aging core while they still had some value.

and the main event
Giants Get
Marco Luciano, Jesus Luzardo, Hans Crouse, Bubba Thompson, Alexander Canario, Tarik Skubal, 4th round pick
Red Sox Get
Corey Kluber, Buster Posey, Jarrod Dyson, 3rd round pick

There's an idea you hear a lot in the NFL about how its better to retire a year too early than a year too late. The core of the 2016 IBC champions is definitely in this place. Kluber still has an ace projection and probably will have some value going forward assuming he pitches OK on his return in a few weeks. Buster still looks like Buster and projects like Buster this year, but with Bart coming up behind him combined with his "load management" this year the risk that he's turning into Joe Mauer is too much to ignore. Jarrod Dyson is a speed guy who's over 30. All told my team could have competed for a wild card next year too, but the writing was on the wall. Even though Luzardo is the higher ranked, higher floor prospect (he could be pitching meaningful games for Oakland in September), the key to this deal for me is Luciano and hence he gets the headline. Everyone seems to agree he is a rare athlete, and the Wander Franco comps are exciting to me. I remember the time that Pat offered me Trout+ for Stanton before the 2010 season and I passed on it (whoops) so hopefully this corrects that error in judgement and Luciano grows into what I hope he can. Luzardo looks like a really solid mid rotation guy if he can be healthy, and a Kopech/Gray/Luzardo rotation going into 2021 when Bart et al start to fill out the lineup looks like a really solid place to be. Thompson and Canario are toolsy OFs, Canario appeared with Luciano on Fangraphs "this is what they look like" list and Bubba Thompson is a poor man's Monte Harrison with great athleticism and a football background and athletic tools better than his performance. Crouse and Skubal were supposed to provide solid arms for the system but... From Pat's perspective this is an awesome go for it deal. He looked like a pretty solid bet to go to the WC game, but even if he beat Vacek he'd have some holes in the lineup and be a clear underdog in the next round. Now he's got Kluber for the do or die game, Posey is a big upgrade on Curt Casali, and Dyson allows him to move Clay Bellinger to first base and always have a plus glove in CF. All in all I think this is the perfect confluence of circumstances for a deal of this magnitude and I hope it works out for everyone. Come October I will have my virtual Red Sox hat on, and if Pat gets his title I hope to voted a playoff share :D

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Clumping a few veteran for prospects moves in one post here:

Giants get:
Seth Romero
Yankees get: Matt Duffy

A useful projection for a lottery pick arm.

Giants get: Travis Shaw, Kai-Wei Teng
Tigers get: Willians Astudillo

Trading Astudillo was a bummer, I’ve been sitting on him for a while, but Pat kept after him. He pointed out correctly that I needed to add Teng to my stable of Giants prospects and we agreed that Travis Shaw was worth something (and I figured I could flip the projection, stay tuned).

Giants get: Heriberto Hernández
Phillies get: Alex Colome
As the fangraphs guys say: he probably can’t catch but he can definitely hit. I’ve been intrigued by Hernández all season and Colome probably won’t be useful when all my young guys are ready to go.

Giants get: Monte Harrison, Lazaro Armenteros, Sherton Apostel
Pirates get: Sean Doolittle, Eric Thames, Travis Shaw
I wasn’t too happy to give up Harrison in the Bart trade, and everyone who’s had Lazarito has had me ask about him. This one came together pretty quickly after JP acquired Harrison and Lazarito from Z, the thing that made this one a no-brainer was getting Apostel, another huge upside bat that JP wasn’t super excited about giving up and I understand why. That cleans me out of desirable veterans, I expect a playoff share from the winner of the inevitable Red Sox/Pirates World Series!

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

We've sent most of the useful veterans out the door to Z, so let's keep track of all the thinking in what became effectively one giant deal.

Nationals get:
Anibal Sanchez
Yoenis Cespedes
Jedd Gyorko
Sonny Gray
Howie Kendrick

Giants get:
Griffin Canning
James Kaprielian
Albert Almora
Jose Devers
Mike Brosseau
MJ Melendez

I didn't really think I'd end up trading Sonny Gray, but when Z put Canning in the mix I had to jump. I really like his profile and I think if he still had prospect eligibility he'd be at least Top 50, and he did not embarrass himself in the MLB which is what you want. As a 3rd starter behind Luzardo and Kopech I think I have as good a 3 headed monster of young pitchers at the top of my rotation this year as anyone (and arguably any real life team as well), and when he figures out that he needs to go by Griff (Griff Canning is a hall of famer, Grifin is his spoiled brat son) he'll be even better. Kaprielian is another boom or bust guy that I really like, who would be a really nice 4th head if he can stay healthy, which I think he can, and find room in the A's rotation, which might be more of a challenge this year. We're looking at peaking this team around 2022, and he should be in his prime at that point, and a really nice get as the head of a package for two old guys in Cespedes and Sanchez, who may not be useful after this year. Almora, like Orlando Arcia and JaCoby Jones, is a post hype guy with potential to have a nice career, and he's only 25 with a retooled swing that (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT) seems to be generating good headlines in spring training. Devers is a high probability middle infielder who should make it to MLB and be a little useful if the bat doesn't get knocked out of his hands in AA (where he'll be 20 this year!). Mike Brosseau is like Gyorko but 5 years younger, he's more likely to be useful in a couple years just due to age. Melendez was a highly regarded prospect coming into the draft, hit really well in his full season debut, but he fell flat on his face in high A last year. That said, he's a left handed hitting catcher and catchers always take longer, and he's a backup to Joey Bart in the long run hopefully so I think he's a nice gamble to take for some old bastards.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Giants Get
Reggie 19-Preciado

Royals Get
Giovanny Gallegos and Jamari 19-Baylor

Ian had reached out about Gallegos early in the offseason and didn't have a match. I really liked Preciado, and he may have been a consideration with the pick that became Logan Davidson if Davidson hadn't been there. The going rate for a reliever like Gallegos is generally a second round pick, so this came together pretty quickly, decided I'd rather have this guy I really like now than wait for the trade deadline and see if that market value still held. Baylor was thrown in because Ian needed another 19. Watch him go on to be the very best player in this trade.

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

Giants get Hunter Bishop, Ka’ai Tom
Padres get Bryan Reynolds, Brent Rooker

Z wasn’t happy to give me Reynolds in the Bart trade, and jumped at the chance to get him back. Of course I had to go get the best remaining Giants prospect I didn’t already have (I think Matos is the next guy. What do you say Jag?). I do like Rooker, but this trade is an acknowledgement that I’ll be taking Torkelson in a couple months unless something dramatic happens. In the time I went back and forth on signing Tom post Rule V Z grabbed him, so I’m happy to get him back as part of this deal. He’s got some Yaz potential (Mike not Carl of course)

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Giants

Post by Giants »

It’s been awhile. It’s like I’m not as active as I used to be or something. Jotting this one down for posterity because I took something of a stand

Giants get: Bryce Edridge, Brett Baty, Nick Yorke, Jordan Hicks

Yankees Get: Isaac Paredes, Gregory Soto, Pick 34

Hopefully I’m selling high on Paredes (who I grabbed as a free agent in September of 2017 while trolling for interesting age/stat line combinations at the end of the minor league season, I really used to be active you guys!), and buying low on Baty (and trying to forget how much the story looks like Andy Marte), but the real thing here was that I believe in Bryce Eldridge’s bat, and while I was shocked that y’all let Patrick Bailey get to me at 26 a couple of years ago (and thanks everyone for that!), I knew Eldridge wasn’t sliding to 34 so when Z put the pick up I had to jump. Hope it works out!

2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Bailey still isn't all that special as the other Giants fsn in the league!

Return to “#torture”