Lost

Dan Vacek's blog

Moderator: Orioles

Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Lost

Post by Orioles »

SPOILER ALERT - if you are not caught up with "Lost" and intend to catch up, you might not want to read this.

So, for the handful of you who do watch "Lost," here are some random thoughts on the show. Anyone w/ crazy theories, feel free to post them...

- Who are the "Oceanic Six?"

We know Jack, Kate and Hurley are 3 of them. I'm guessing Sawyer is one as well, since Kate says something to Jack in the flashforward about her significant other not wanting her to see him.

I don't think the unidentified person in the coffin can be one of the 6 b/c they're supposed to be celebrities, and Jack is the only person who shows up at the funeral parlor. That leads me to think it might be Ben.

- What major character is about to die?

I don't have any actual evidence for this, but it seems like every time it rains on the island, a major character dies.

- Other mysteries that are pissing me off...

If they don't explain why Hurley's "girlfriend" who was shot by Michael appeared in the insane asylum as a patient/inmate in one of Hurley's flashbacks, I'll find the writers and make them watch the last 5 minutes of the final Sopranos episode over and over (Clockwork Orange style).

What is the black smoke that killed my favorite character (Mr. Eko)?

How come that one Other who met Ben in the woods when he was a kid hasn't aged? Does nobody age on the island?

Locke says at one point that "things don't stay buried on this island." Mikhail has come back from the dead at least once. They showed the coffin that contained Jack's Dad's body, and it was empty. Creepy. How come some people come back, and others don't? Seems like people buried in the sand don't come back. Also, what about that girl in Australia (whose Dad was the psychic) who drowned then came back to life on the autopsy table?

Who was the other person in Jacob's shack when Hurley looked in the window? Was the guy in the rocking chair Jacob? I thought people couldn't see him. Pretty sure the face that popped up and scared Hurley was Locke.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

God, I shouldn't get started with this, because once i do i can't stop, but oh well here goes.

First, the guy in the rocking chair in Jacob's cabin was Jack's dad, Christian Shepard. I know because I went back and paused it and its him as clear as day. The face that jumped out? I'm not convinced it was Locke's eye, but it could have been.

I think the show is really going to start playing with time. I think time travel and even "when" the island exists will become big issues. Hurley and Sayid in an early episode are listening to a radio on the beach and it picks up a signal of some old 50s tune. They talk about how radio waves can bounce around forever, and Sayid says "It could be from any place." To which Hurley jokingly replies, "Or any time." I don't think its a joke.

There's already been discrepencies in time. Someone, I think Naomi, mentions to one of the Losties that the plane crashed a long time and there were no survivors. Walt has shown up looking much older. I know thats because of puberty but I think they will play it in the series as time passing differently. This would also explain why the "Other" who's name I can't remember never seems to age.

I think Sawyer is too easy to be one of the Oceanic Six. Everyone assumes the guy Kate mentions is Sawyer, and that immediately makes me assume that its not. But who knows for sure.
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Jack's Dad! Nice catch. I watched at a friend's so there wasn't as much pause and rewind as when I watch it on my own. Also, he's Claire's Dad too, right?

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of hints that the island exists independent of the normal concepts of time. Besides that Hurley comment and Naomi's saying that there were no survivors, there's the blackrock, the 70s-style dharma initiative locations (like Desmond's hatch), the modern (even futuristic) looking satellite phone Naomi brings, the airplane itself, and generally all sorts of different time periods represented. The whole flash back/flash forward would jive with the time travel idea, or at least with the idea that time stands still on the island, while things progress in the real world.

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

The Oceanic Six are supposed to be Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Jin and Sun.
These are the 6 listed in spoilers across the net.

Here's another tidbit I saw that was interesting.

The Oceanic six...it is true.

Take a guess what their resective seat numbers on the plane are.

Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Great episode. Benjamin Linus is officially one of my favorite evil geniuses of all time.

DBacks

Post by DBacks »

a baseball tie in this latest episode, which was one of their best ever.

jack asks the pilot if the red sox really won the series, he asks because in season three ben shows him a clip of game four to prove they have communication with the outside world.

the pilot confirms they won, then comments about being a yankee fan. the whole time jack believes they're talking about 2004, since that's the year they crashed and the year he still believes it is. I bet that the pilot is referring to 2007, the year it could be on the outside world.

another alternate time theory. it just struck me as soon as they said it.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Jsut reading that past post by Gabe reminded me why I'm glad I don't watch this show...
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Juliette is really annoying, and this would have been a much more annoying episode if she didn't have such a great rack to keep me interested. Last week was a better episode (racks aside).

BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Juliette is nowhere NEAR as annoying as Kate. I want to stab that bitch.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Reds wrote:Juliette is nowhere NEAR as annoying as Kate. I want to stab that bitch.
I think they're both annoying, and since Juliette has big cans she gets the edge. I do like Claire though. I mean, c'mon, who hates Aussies (besides kiwis)? Aussies are good peoples.

DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Juliet's expression never changes. She has that same dumb look on her face every moment of every episode.

But I'd watch eight straight hours of Juliet if it meant I never had to hear from Jack again. That's one annoying guy.
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Yeah, she's not a very good actress. Kate's character annoys me, but she's a better actress. I'm not as big a Jack-hater as some, even though he definitely can be annoying. I do appreciate that occasionally he pulls a move that kicks ass, like the whole surgery thing with Ben, which slightly redeems him.

My 3 favorite characters are: 1. Mr. Eko (RIP), 2. Desmond, 3. Sayid (I mean, he can kill people with his ankles.)

I would have liked more of Eko bashing people with his Jesus stick. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Done in by the black smoke.

DBacks

Post by DBacks »

1. Sayid 2. Desmond 3. Ben

Sayid is by far my favorite. He's the only one who insists on getting some answers from people. And he fucking tortured people for a living. That's bad-ass.

And has there ever been a better guy in the history of TV than Ben?
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Cubs wrote: And has there ever been a better guy in the history of TV than Ben?
No. I clearly overlooked Ben on my list. Absolutely awesome character and really perfect casting.

DBacks

Post by DBacks »

"better bad guy" is what I meant to say but I can't edit it.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

I'd have to say my top 3 are...

Ben
Sayid
Locke

It's amazing to watching the interactions between Locke and Ben. Remember how differently they treated each other when Ben was locked up in the hatch waaay back when....
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Charlie
Desmond
Jun & Sun - I'm a sucker for ninja assassins and tragic romance.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

WhiteSox wrote:I'd have to say my top 3 are...

Ben
Sayid
Locke

It's amazing to watching the interactions between Locke and Ben. Remember how differently they treated each other when Ben was locked up in the hatch waaay back when....
Locke was interesting until recently when he became annoying by doing dumb stuff for no good reason at all, and showed himself to be a mental weakling easily manipulated by Ben. I'm much less of a fan of his than I was before.

DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Marlins wrote:
WhiteSox wrote:I'd have to say my top 3 are...

Ben
Sayid
Locke

Locke was interesting until recently when he became annoying by doing dumb stuff for no good reason at all, and showed himself to be a mental weakling easily manipulated by Ben. I'm much less of a fan of his than I was before.
Agreed, Locke was probably my favorite up until the middle of season 3 or so. Before that, he was operating on a different level than everybody else. But lately, he hasn't been much of a leader. He's only been Ben's little puppet.

Return to “Orioles”