ZiPS bidding 101

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

ZiPS bidding 101

Post by Guardians »

As a reminder to everyone with ZiPS season quickly approaching, please create a thread in this board with the team name and then post the link to the Fangraphs article with ZiPS for that team. This will start the clock on ZiPS waivers. If 24 hours passes without a bid for players, they will be free agents. Whoever sees it on FG, please post it here. I often get to most of them first, but have a busier job now that in years past, so I might not get to it. This is a league effort, so please pitch in here.

Bidding begins under the team thread for each individual player (ie: "Tigers bid $2 for John Smith") and continues until 24 hours has passed without a bid. There is no requirement to bid on players or add players this way, but this is the process to acquire players with projections coming out over the next couple months. As a reminder: we ruled last year that any players returning to the MLB from a foreign league go through the ZiPS bidding process rather than first come, first served.

Each team has a $20 budget. I will keep track of players once bidding is closed out on an individual player and debit your $20 and post on the site. I will post to close out a player as won by a certain team. The timestamp on the forum controls the clock running out, so don't panic if I don't post right away as time expires.

I think that's it. If I missed anything or there are outstanding questions, post here.
Guardians

Re: ZiPS bidding 101

Post by Guardians »

Please post first and last names on the initial bid so it's easier to track on the back end. Thanks
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

An update on the ZiPS bidding process:

Since there have been some unanticipated gaps in the process that we're learning this year, we're going to allow for a last stage of bidding once Dan Z releases his ZiPS spreadsheet at the end of the ZiPS release cycle. This should be a catch-all for the players who sign with a team after their team's ZiPS have been released or for guys Dan just doesn't project for whatever reason.

As a reminder, any player from a foreign league must go through the zips process. As you can see in this forum, Pierce Johnson and others who recently signed must go through the bidding process. If you see a signing, please post the player in this forum as you would a team. We can handle those as one-off situations, if the player wasn't included in the team projection.

We're trying to make this equitable for everyone so there aren't opportunities for snagging players just because you happened to see a tweet or article.

Thanks!
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Tigers wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 am Since there have been some unanticipated gaps in the process that we're learning this year, we're going to allow for a last stage of bidding once Dan Z releases his ZiPS spreadsheet at the end of the ZiPS release cycle. This should be a catch-all for the players who sign with a team after their team's ZiPS have been released or for guys Dan just doesn't project for whatever reason.
For those of you wondering...once Dan Z's full zips spreadsheet is released, please post it in the zips thread for one last round of bidding. If you still have cash left, it's time to use it!
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Tigers wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 am
Tigers wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 am Since there have been some unanticipated gaps in the process that we're learning this year, we're going to allow for a last stage of bidding once Dan Z releases his ZiPS spreadsheet at the end of the ZiPS release cycle. This should be a catch-all for the players who sign with a team after their team's ZiPS have been released or for guys Dan just doesn't project for whatever reason.
For those of you wondering...once Dan Z's full zips spreadsheet is released, please post it in the zips thread for one last round of bidding. If you still have cash left, it's time to use it!
Has anyone seen the spreadsheet from Dan? We've usually seen that at this point right?
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

He said in a chat on FG last week that it would be a few more weeks, he gave some excuse about a nasty cold delaying things.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Yeah, I asked him about it on Twitter a couple weeks ago and said he was working on it. It's a good six weeks late this year.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

A reminder on this year's process:

"Since there have been some unanticipated gaps in the process that we're learning this year, we're going to allow for a last stage of bidding once Dan Z releases his ZiPS spreadsheet at the end of the ZiPS release cycle. This should be a catch-all for the players who sign with a team after their team's ZiPS have been released or for guys Dan just doesn't project for whatever reason."

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/ ... 80066?s=19
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Is this bidding open, when does it end?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

24 hours from the post

Return to “ZiPS Bidding 2019-20”