The Real(muto) Deal

Danny Woodward's blog.

Moderator: Angels

Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

The Real(muto) Deal

Post by Angels »

An interesting look at J.T. Realmuto's path to the majors, from high school infielder to big-league catcher:

From The Palm Beach Post

MIAMI — The Marlins believed J.T. Realmuto could be their catcher of the future before the idea ever crossed his mind.

He was a standout shortstop as a high school player in Oklahoma and only got behind the plate on the rare occasions when Carl Albert High School’s regular catcher was called out to pitch. By chance, a Marlins scout happened to be at one of those games and noted that he would be a perfect fit if he moved there permanently.

J.T. Realmuto photo
Lynne Sladky
Miami Marlins catcher Jacob Realmuto, left, shakes hands with relief pitcher Steve Cishek (31) after defeating the Washington Nationals 6-2 in a baseball game, Sunday, April 26, 2015, in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)
“Everybody else was going to draft me at shortstop,” Realmuto said Wednesday before Miami hosted the Mets. “The Marlins were the only ones who wanted me to catch — and I was all for it. If they saw something, they know what they’re talking about. I was excited about that.”

Miami made the discovery five years ago and drafted him in the third round, then management’s confidence in Realmuto grew to the point that it put him in place as the starter earlier this week. With veteran Jarrod Saltalamacchia spiraling, the Marlins designated him for assignment and turned the job over to Realmuto as a rookie.

Realmuto, 24, was batting .265 at the time, but Miami was more impressed by his defense and handling of the pitching staff. Manager Mike Redmond said it was “no coincidence” that the pitching staff was sharper when Realmuto filled in while Saltalamacchia was on paternity leave for a few games.

It was a difficult situation given that Saltalamacchia, from Royal Palm Beach, helped mentor Realmuto, but it was the breakthrough Realmuto had been seeking since draft day.

“He’s known for the last couple years that this day was gonna come,” Redmond said. “He wants to be a big part of this ball club, and now’s his time.”

While Realmuto struggled offensively the first two games since the Marlins made the move, the starting pitchers were terrific and he made an outstanding double play Monday. With Curtis Granderson on first base, he snatched a bunt by Juan Lagares out of the air just before it hit the ground and nailed Granderson at first before he could get back to the base.

“The bunt play was ridiculous,” closer Steve Cishek said. “You never see that. People don’t understand how hard that is to avoid the batter, catch the ball and then make the throw to first. It was phenomenal. We were all going crazy in the bullpen.”

Realmuto’s transition from shortstop to catcher was a gradual progress under the watch of Tim Cossins, who left the team for a job with the Chicago Cubs in 2012. He climbed through minor league affiliates in North Carolina, Jupiter, Jacksonville and New Orleans. He had the athleticism and reflexes to play catcher, but was mostly unfamiliar with the nuances of the position.

He earned a call-up last June and batted .241 with no home runs and nine RBIs in 11 games and was with the team for the start of spring training this year.

“I knew it was going to be a longer process because catching is definitely the hardest spot to learn,” Realmuto said. “I was prepared for the long grind. It’s all been worth it.”

The Marlins had him start this season in AAA with the thought of bringing him up as a starter if Saltalamacchia did not turn it around after batting .220 last year.

Saltalamacchia was 2-for-29 when he left last week, and it became apparent to the Marlins that Realmuto was already an upgrade.

“We weren’t gonna bring him up to have him sit, plain and simple,” team president Mike Hill said. “He’s young and athletic, and you see the talent that he brings to the table.”

Return to “The Big Chief Tablet”