Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Tiger News

Post by Guardians »

Good to see the big fella back and dominating:

Goldschmidt, Trout, and the Greatest Weeks of the Century
by Craig Edwards
June 22, 2018
One week’s worth of at-bats isn’t going to tell you a lot about a player. Hitters can look very good or very bad for entire weeks or even months, and it doesn’t necessarily represent their talent level or tell you a whole lot about it. For example, on April 9, Shin-Soo Choo began what has been thus far the worst week of the entire season. He came to the plate 29 times and got one hit, a single, which was good for a -70 wRC+. However, on the season, he has a 134 wRC+, which is not too far from his career line. Didi Gregorius had a 336 wRC+ the second week of the season and a -66 wRC+ the second week of May. Crazy things can happen in 20-30 plate appearances, and two of the craziest stretches of this century happened in the past two weeks.

You’ve probably heard that Mike Trout has been on a roll lately. That last statement has almost always been true for the past seven seasons, but it was particularly true last week. From June 11 to June 17, Trout came to the plate 28 times. He reached base via a hit 13 times, including four homers and a double. He was walked on seven occasions and was hit by a pitch once. He struck out five times. That leaves just two occasions where Trout made contact with the ball and got out. Once he hit a sacrifice fly and once he grounded into a double play. He was not named the American League Player of the Week.

That Trout was not named Player of the Week is a surprise, but sometimes consistent greatness doesn’t get rewarded. What’s more surprising is that Trout’s week wasn’t the best offensive week of the season. More specifically, it was not even the best offensive performance this month. That honor goes to Paul Goldschmidt one week earlier. From June 4 through June 10, Goldschmidt came to the plate 29 times. He reached base via a hit 16 times, including four homers, one triple, and six doubles. He also walked three times and was hit by a pitch. He struck out four times and made an out on a ball in play six times. His 455 wRC+ narrowly edged out Trout’s 439 in a week’s time.

To look at the best weeks of the season, we can go to our Splits Leaderboards and look at weighted runs above average (wRAA). This figure accounts for offensive output and factors in plate appearances. Below we see the best one-week figures of the season thus far (min 15 PA).

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/goldsch ... e-century/
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas- ... nding-team

How Shin-Soo Choo is showing he deserves to be an AL All-Star or traded to a contending team

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - JUNE 23: Shin-Soo Choo #17 of the Texas Rangers hits an RBI ground-rule double against the Minnesota Twins during the second inning of the game on June 23, 2018 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)

By Evan Grant , Staff Writer Contact Evan Granton Twitter:@Evan_P_Grant

MINNEAPOLIS -- On Saturday, Shin-Soo Choo paced around the Rangers clubhouse decked out in a full Team Korea soccer kit as he watched the World Cup.

It may be the Summer of Many Colors for Choo.

On Sunday, he continued making the case to wear another uniform, the one American League All-Stars wear for the festivities leading up to the game. Before July is out, he could find himself going to a contending team in a trade deadline deal.

Though the Rangers' win streak ended at seven games, Choo reached base twice more with a double on the first pitch of the game and later a walk in a 2-0 loss to Minnesota. The Rangers reached based only five times against Minnesota pitching. It was the 37th consecutive game in which Choo has reached by a hit, walk or being hit by a pitch. Only four such single-season streaks in Rangers history are longer.

Choo's two times on base tied him with Boston's J.D. Martinez for the sixth-best OBP in the American League: .393. All the players ahead of him would seem to be locks for the game, which will be played July 17 in Washington, D.C. The teams are expected to be announced the weekend before.

"It would be a big honor, but I really try not to think about it," Choo said. "I've had a couple times where I thought I'd have a chance to play, but I wasn't selected. I'm not worried about whether I get there. It would be great. Everybody wants to be a part of the All-Star team before the end of their career."

In all likelihood, the decision will fall to Houston manager A.J. Hinch and AL officials, who will finalize the roster after fan and player voting. Choo isn't going to win the fan voting at designated hitter; that will probably be Martinez, who had a wide lead. If he wins or finishes second in the player voting, he'd automatically make the team, but that field includes New York's Giancarlo Stanton and Seattle's Nelson Cruz. Cruz leads Choo in OPS .931-.874.

If it comes down to filling out the roster, though, Choo is likely the best the Rangers have for a representative. Closer Keone Kela has converted all 18 of his save chances but has a 3.67 ERA. Middle reliever Jose Leclerc has exterminated inherited runners but hasn't been with the team all year. The Rangers are likely to get only one rep, and it will be because at least one representative is mandated.

Choo, however, has put together a season that deserves consideration simply on merit.

"He's having an outstanding year," manager Jeff Banister said. "It's been phenomenal. I think he should get strong consideration."

In 2009, '12 and '13, Choo had a higher OPS at the All-Star break than he does now. In 2013, he ranked eighth in the NL in OPS at the break (though teams are finalized in the days before), but Washington's Bryce Harper won a starting spot despite missing a significant amount of time. His OPS was higher than four of the outfielders selected.

With Choo as a DH this year, though, there are going to be fewer spots available for Hinch to play with.

If he does make the All-Star team and gets to the plate, he would become the first Korean hitter to get a plate appearance. The only other Korean natives to appear in All-Star games were pitchers: Chan Ho Park while with the Los Angeles Dodgers and Byung-Hyun Kim while with Arizona, both in 2001.

And after the All-Star Game comes the trade deadline. Choo has been productive at the plate and in the clubhouse, but the Rangers still owe him $50 million through 2020. In a rebuilding process, if they can move him and save some money, it may make sense for the club.

Choo is demonstrating that he deserves to be recognized, either by the American League or a contending team. Possibly both.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Choo extends on-base streak to 41 games

By Wesley Dotson MLB.com
Jun. 29th, 2018

ARLINGTON -- Rangers designated hitter Shin-Soo Choo extended his on-base streak to 41 games Friday by drawing a leadoff walk against White Sox starter Dylan Covey.

Choo's streak is now the longest in the Majors this season. Philadelphia's Odubel Herrera had a 40-game on-base streak earlier this season. Choo is now tied with Toby Harrah for the third-longest on-base streak in club history.

The last longer streak in the American League was 43 games by Minnesota's Joe Mauer in 2015.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Jhoulys Chacin fired six shutout innings to pick up his 13th win of the year against the Cardinals on Sunday.

Chacin scattered four hits and did not walk a batter. He stuck out three and threw a staggering 62 of 82 pitches for strikes over six frames. The 30-year-old righty has allowed one run or fewer in five of his last seven starts dating back to July 15. He's 13-4 with a 3.58 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 122/55 K/BB ratio in 27 starts this season. He's been an outstanding free agent bargain for the Brewers, who inked the well-traveled veteran to a two-year $15 million deal in December. He’ll face the Pirates at home in his next start on Saturday.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://twitter.com/GlobeChadFinn/statu ... 5163442181

Mookie Betts has 12 homers and a .355/.419/.755 slash line in May.
Guardians

Re: News & Notes

Post by Guardians »

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... um=twitter

Edward Cabrera allowed three hits over 5 2/3 innings in the Marlins' 3-0 shutout of the Phillies on Thursday.
Cabrera has made five big-league starts this year and allowed no runs three times and one run once. In those four outings, he's allowed a total of six hits in 22 2/3 innings. The other start against the Astros was far less impressive, but Cabrera still looks like a force to be reckoned with. He'll get the Padres next.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Don't deal with JP. He trades you players and poisons them just to spite you:

Marcell Ozuna was arrested early Friday morning in Norcross, Georgia for driving under the influence.
Norcross police arrested Ozuna for DUI and failure to maintain lane before booking him into the Gwinnett County Jail at 4:39 AM ET. Ozuna, of course, was also arrested last year for domestic violence and served an MLB-imposed suspension. We'll undoubtedly hear more about this situation later Friday.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Edward Cabrera , RHP, Marlins: Cabrera pitched eight shutout innings with two hits allowed, three walks and seven strikeouts to lead the Marlins to a 3-0 win over the A’s on Monday night. The 24-year-old righthander retired the final 14 batters he faced en route to the longest outing of his big league carrer. Cabrera extended his scoreless streak to 22.2 innings with the performance and has not allowed a run since the Marlins called him back up from Triple-A on Aug. 5.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Mookie Betts Did It All in 2022 (Except Win the MVP Award)
by Leo Morgenstern

Last week, I wrote about the overcrowded NL MVP ballot. Eight different position players finished within 1.0 WAR of the top spot on our leaderboard, more than in any other year since WAR was introduced. The MVP nearly always goes to one of the top position players by FanGraphs WAR. Thus, this past year presented us with one of the most hotly-contested MVP races in recent memory, regardless of how voters ultimately cast their ballots.

To have so many worthy choices for the award is exciting, even if we already know that Paul Goldschmidt emerged as the winner, with Manny Machado and Nolan Arenado placing second and third, respectively. As I wrote last Friday, “such a close race between so many contenders compels us to look beyond the go-to methods we might normally rely on to pick a winner. It allows us to think about how we measure value. It’s a chance to get creative.” I don’t know about you, but that sounds like a fun challenge to me. Now, from the headline and the image at the top of this piece, you can already guess who I would’ve picked. But indulge me for just a moment longer so I can explain how I came to that decision. On a ballot full of deserving choices, how was I to single out one name as the most deserving of all?

Here are those top NL position players by WAR. I could see an MVP case for Trea Turner, too, so I tacked him on at the bottom of the list:

NL War Leaders 2022
Player WAR
Manny Machado 7.4
Nolan Arenado 7.3
Paul Goldschmidt 7.1
Freddie Freeman 7.1
Francisco Lindor 6.8
Mookie Betts 6.6
J.T. Realmuto 6.5
Dansby Swanson 6.4
Trea Turner 6.3
Beyond WAR, none of the traditional MVP “tiebreakers” make this decision any easier. Every candidate played for a postseason team. Each played a full season and was instrumental to his team’s success. None of them has an edge from a narrative perspective (e.g. Aaron Judge breaking the AL home run record) nor an intangible perspective (Bryce Harper persevering after a pitch to the face) either.

Some people like to use context-dependent metrics, like WPA and Clutch, as MVP tiebreakers. I considered doing so but ultimately decided that those stats weren’t going to be helpful in this particular race. Those numbers only measure performance at the plate, not defense or baserunning. They’re useful if you’re trying to pick between two similarly talented sluggers. This year, however, we know that the best hitter in the NL was Goldschmidt; it’s not really up for debate. What we need to figure out is if any other player outperformed Goldschmidt overall.

As I pored over the numbers, that word — “overall” — kept coming back into my head. There were a number of all-around talents in the NL this season, but I realized that one player, and only one, was genuinely good in every single aspect of the game. Hitting, fielding, baserunning. Power, arm strength, and stolen bases. Plate discipline, range, and avoiding double plays. I could keep going, but I think the message is clear, and there’s no point holding back his name any further. It’s Mookie Betts.

Take a look at his offensive “plus” stats and you’ll see they’re all above 100. Take a look at his defensive and baserunning metrics and you’ll won’t see anything below zero. Take a look at his Baseball Savant sliders and you won’t see a hint of blue. Betts is the only player in the NL for whom all that is true. His split stats won’t reveal even a trace of weakness either. Lefties, rights, home, away, high leverage, low leverage, all sides of the field — it doesn’t matter. Betts was good. So while there may have been plenty of all-around players in the NL this year, none were quite as “all-around” as Betts. In such a close MVP race, that’s enough to give him the edge.

Baserunning
NL MVP Candidates Baserunning Comparison
Player UBR wSB wGDP BsR BRR SB CS
Mookie Betts 2.7 1.0 0.6 4.3 4.7 12 2
Dansby Swanson 3.2 0.1 -0.2 3.1 -2.3 18 7
J.T. Realmuto 3.1 3.2 0.3 6.6 -0.1 21 1
Francisco Lindor 1.9 0.1 1.3 3.3 -0.5 16 6
Nolan Arenado -0.4 -0.8 -0.4 -1.6 -0.7 5 3
Manny Machado 0.9 0.8 1.3 3.0 1.5 9 1
Trea Turner 1.7 3.5 1.3 6.5 -1.2 27 3
Freddie Freeman 2.0 0.6 2.8 5.4 1.0 13 3
Paul Goldschmidt 0.6 0.6 1.8 3.0 1.7 7 0
BRR courtesy of Baseball Prospectus
Among his fellow MVP candidates, Betts ranked fourth with 4.3 BsR. Realmuto (6.6 BsR), Turner (6.5 BsR), and Freeman (5.4 BsR) finished ahead of him. Of the three components that comprise BsR, Betts ranked third in Ultimate Baserunning (UBR), third in weighted stolen base runs (wSB), and sixth in weighted grounded into double play runs (wGDP). No one finished ahead of him in all three categories.

BRR, the baserunning metric from Baseball Prospectus, is less favorable toward Realmuto, Turner, and Freeman. By this metric, only Swanson was a more valuable baserunner than Betts. Meanwhile, Turner, Realmuto, Arenado, and Lindor all finished the year below average.

Of all the NL MVP contenders, Arenado had the most notably poor baserunning numbers. He was an excellent hitter, but he stopped doing the Cardinals any favors once he reached base. He was caught stealing on three of eight attempts and grounded into 15 double plays, and his Statcast sprint speed ranked in the 12th percentile. Arenado was a below-average baserunner in all three components of BsR and was the only candidate to finish below average in both BsR and BRR.

Summary: Betts was one of the better baserunners in the NL and arguably the best among these nine NL MVP candidates. Arenado, on the other hand, may have cost his team a run or two with his legs.

Fielding
Fielding is always a tough one, since defensive stats aren’t the most reliable in a single-season sample. Be that as it may, the eye test and the numbers combine to make a pretty convincing argument for Betts. Among the nine NL MVP contenders, he ranked first in FRAA, second in DRS and UZR, fifth in OAA, and seventh in DEF, which takes positional adjustments into account. Only Betts, Realmuto, and Arenado had above-average numbers by every metric listed:

NL MVP Candidates Defense Comparison
Player DRS UZR FRAA OAA Def
Dansby Swanson 9 1.1 -2.3 20 21.4
J.T. Realmuto 11 N/A 11.5 N/A 19.8
Francisco Lindor -3 4.2 -2.0 13 16.1
Nolan Arenado 19 13.0 8.5 15 15.3
Manny Machado -3 -0.8 -2.8 8 8.5
Trea Turner -1 -0.7 -1.2 0 7.1
Mookie Betts 15 12.5 13.3 4 3.8
Freddie Freeman -2 -1.9 -1.1 3 -8.8
Paul Goldschmidt 2 5.1 -0.9 -6 -13.3
FRAA courtesy of Baseball Prospectus
Betts also had average or better numbers by every component of DRS, UZR, and OAA. Among these nine players, only Arenado can say the same (Realmuto, being a catcher, is not evaluated by DRS or OAA):

Defensive Metrics Breakdown
DRS UZR OAA
Player rGDP rARM rGFP rPM ARM DPR RngR ErrR In Ltrl 3B Ltrl 1B Back
Dansby Swanson -1 3 7 -0.1 0.2 1 11 12 -2 1
Francisco Lindor 2 0 -5 0.2 0.5 3.6 6 5 1 0
Nolan Arenado 0 2 17 1.3 8 3.7 4 6 4 0
Manny Machado 0 1 -4 -0.3 -2 1.4 6 2 2 -1
Trea Turner -1 0 0 0.8 2.8 -4.3 0 -1 0 1
Mookie Betts 0 2 0 13 3.8 0.2 7.4 1.1 2 0 1 2
Freddie Freeman -1 2 -4 0 -0.6 -1.3 2 1 -2 -1
Paul Goldschmidt 0 2 0 -0.4 1.1 4.4 -1 -6 1 0
OAA breakdown courtesy of Baseball Savant
Finally, while I don’t put much stock in traditional defensive stats, they’re worth mentioning here. My ultimate point, after all, is that Betts could do no wrong in 2022. That’s reflected in his standard fielding numbers. He finished first among NL outfielders in double plays started, fifth in assists, and seventh in putouts. His fielding percentage was the third-highest among NL MVP contenders, and he made the second-fewest errors.

Summary: Betts was a great defensive player in 2022. He had no shortcomings in the field, and you could use that point to argue he was better than every NL MVP candidate not named Arenado or Realmuto. If nothing else, he had much stronger metrics — and played a more important position — than either of the first basemen in the conversation.

Offense
Betts was one of the best hitters in the NL this season. His 144 wRC+ ranked sixth among qualified batters, and he hit for average, OBP, and power. Among the NL MVP contenders, he ranks in the middle of the pack:

NL MVP Candidates Batting Comparison
Name AVG OBP SLG ISO BABIP xwOBA wRC+
Paul Goldschmidt 0.317 0.404 0.578 0.260 0.368 0.367 177
Freddie Freeman 0.325 0.407 0.511 0.186 0.359 0.403 157
Manny Machado 0.298 0.366 0.531 0.234 0.337 0.338 152
Nolan Arenado 0.293 0.358 0.533 0.241 0.290 0.339 151
Mookie Betts 0.269 0.340 0.533 0.264 0.272 0.344 144
J.T. Realmuto 0.276 0.342 0.478 0.202 0.318 0.351 128
Trea Turner 0.298 0.343 0.466 0.169 0.342 0.335 128
Francisco Lindor 0.270 0.339 0.449 0.179 0.301 0.331 127
Dansby Swanson 0.277 0.329 0.447 0.170 0.348 0.337 116
I’ve already touched on Arenado’s shortcomings on the bases, as well as Goldschmidt’s and Freeman’s shortcomings in the field, so let’s focus on the other candidates — arguably the six best “all-around” players in the NL this season. Among these names, Betts and Machado stand out from the pack. Not only are they significantly better power hitters than the others, but they also have the best plate discipline to boot. Machado has the highest walk rate, while Betts has the lowest strikeout rate. Meanwhile, Realmuto, Turner, and Swanson all drew walks at a below-average rate last season. Swanson also struck out a great deal:

Walks and Strikeouts
Player BB%+ K%+
Manny Machado 117 91
Mookie Betts 103 72
Trea Turner 76 82
J.T. Realmuto 87 94
Francisco Lindor 100 83
Dansby Swanson 84 116
Digging deeper, it becomes apparent Betts had stronger plate discipline than Machado and Lindor as well. Betts chased at far fewer pitches outside the zone and made contact on far more pitches inside the zone. As a result, he hardly ever whiffed. For their part, both Machado and Lindor chased more than the average hitter, and Machado whiffed more than the average hitter, too:

Plate Discipline
Player O-Swing% Z-Swing% O-Contact% Z-Contact% SwStr%
Mookie Betts 26.0% 69.6% 67.6% 93.9% 6.7%
Dansby Swanson 31.4% 74.6% 57.1% 80.4% 13.9%
Francisco Lindor 33.8% 69.0% 66.7% 88.1% 10.0%
Manny Machado 34.2% 77.0% 64.3% 85.6% 11.8%
J.T. Realmuto 35.0% 69.2% 66.6% 83.9% 11.4%
Trea Turner 36.4% 74.5% 60.7% 85.9% 12.8%
League Average 32.9% 72.3% 63.6% 86.2% 11.2%
What’s more, Betts produced against all pitches in 2022. According to pitch value data from Baseball Savant, Pitch Info, and Sports Info Solutions, he was an above-average hitter against every pitch type except the splitter, which he faced in only a tiny sample of plate appearances. Lindor, meanwhile, struggled against sliders, and Machado was at his weakest against four-seam fastballs:

Pitch Type Value (Pitch Info)
Name Fourseam Cutter Sinker Changeup Slider Curveball
J.T. Realmuto 14.1 0.3 -0.3 1.3 3.5 2.5
Francisco Lindor 12.5 -0.3 0.1 7.9 -3.2 3.3
Dansby Swanson 8.7 0.7 7.9 -1.5 0.6 -2.6
Trea Turner 7.7 1.6 5.9 6.9 -8.0 5.6
Mookie Betts 7.6 2.2 8.7 6.0 5.1 5.7
Manny Machado -2.6 -0.2 7.0 9.4 12.2 6.3
Ultimately, the MVP is about results and overall production. The outcome of each plate appearance is more important than having a good approach at the plate. In the same vein, if a batter is hitting enough fastballs, it doesn’t matter how many breaking balls get past him. That being said, the fewer shortcomings a hitter has, the better. A pitcher’s job is to exploit the opposing batter’s weaknesses. If he doesn’t have any weaknesses, the pitcher’s job is going to be a whole lot harder. Betts makes a pitcher’s job nearly impossible.

Summary: Betts was a better hitter than Realmuto, Turner, Lindor, and Swanson. He finished with similar offensive numbers to Machado, although Machado had a slight edge in most categories. Betts, however, had some of the best plate discipline in baseball and performed well against every type of pitch he faced. His biggest strength was that he had no weakness.

The MVP Case for Mookie Betts
Whether you’re evaluating hitting, fielding, or baserunning, there wasn’t a single aspect of the game at which Betts did not succeed. Every other MVP candidate had at least one discernible weakness, however small. Arenado was a mediocre baserunner. Goldschmidt and Freeman are slow-moving, slugging first basemen who can only contribute so much with the glove. Swanson, Realmuto, and Turner lacked plate discipline. Lindor chased sliders, and Machado chased fastballs.

Betts, on the other hand, was an asset to the Dodgers in every conceivable way. If he TOOTBLAN’d on the bases, he could make up for it with a game-saving outfield assist. When he wasn’t getting pitches to hit, he could draw walks. When he did see a pitch to hit, he could send it deep into the seats. Whether the pitcher on the mound was throwing for strikeouts or contact, whether he was throwing fastballs or sliders or changeups, Betts could get the job done. There was never a situation in which you wouldn’t want him in the game.

This isn’t an infallible argument, and I don’t mean to suggest that it is. The line between Betts and Machado in particular is paper thin. But that’s kind of the point. I’m grasping at straws because I have to. The talent in the NL was that good this season, and the race was that close. At the end of the day, the all-around talent that Betts brought to the table made him stand out just enough in a historically close NL MVP race. He wasn’t the MVP this year, but he would have had my vote.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Abbott faced a patient Brewers lineup in the first two innings, throwing 53 pitches. However, he quickly settled down and displayed remarkable composure. Abbott went on to pitch six innings, surrendering zero earned runs and striking out six Brewers’ batters. He allowed just one hit but did issue four walks.

Abbott achieved a historic milestone in the game, becoming the only left-hander in the modern era to toss six or more shutout innings with six or more strikeouts and no more than one hit allowed in his MLB debut.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Andrew Abbott , LHP , Reds: Abbott pitched six scoreless innings with one hit allowed, four walks and six strikeouts to pick up the win in his MLB debut. The 24-year-old Virginia product took a no-hitter into the fifth inning before allowing a double to Brewers outfielder Joey Wiemer, but he rebounded to retire five of his final six batters and put the Reds en route to a 2-0 victory.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jacob-degro ... -pitchers/

Jacob deGrom Isn’t Like Other Pitchers
by Ben Clemens
January 30, 2024

I’m writing this article because I’m worried that one of my favorite baseball things is going away. It’s not Shohei doing Shohei stuff, or Mookie Betts nonchalantly doing something that seems impossible when you watch it in slow motion. It’s not even a hipstery, less-popular-but-still-cool thing, like watching Ke’Bryan Hayes charge a tricky grounder. I like all those things, but nothing has given me more joy over the past half-decade than watching Jacob deGrom calmly dissect opposing lineups...

Return to “Welcome to the Land”