Carlos Rodon/Luke Weaver scouting report

Pat Gillespie's blog.

Moderator: Guardians

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Carlos Rodon/Luke Weaver scouting report

Post by Guardians »

Got an opportunity to see a great matchup tonight in Tallahassee between North Carolina State (#5) and Florida State (#2). The 6-1 FSU win wasn't as mismatched as it seemed and it was actually a great game.

It was a close game throughout and started 1-0 NC State, then 2-1 FSU (after an opposite field RBI triple by Justin Gonzalez off the top of the right-center screen fence and a DJ Peterson single).

FSU starter Luke Weaver went toe-to-toe with Rodon all night. He went 6.1 IP and struck out 7. He had some strikeouts looking, but did have to pitch with guys on base a little. I'm not sure how hard he was throwing, but he had some nice sink that helped him out of jams.

Rodon didn't seem as dominant as I thought he'd be. He's not huge, but he's got thick legs and lots of movement on his pitches. I shot a video of a few warm-up pitches that I'm posting below. He didn't seem to blow guys away, as it felt like he got most of his Ks based on his movement rather than heat (i was around first base, so that doesn't quite mean so much). An Astros scout told me he was in the mid 90s tonight. I estimated about 15 scouts there to watch.

Rodon definitely can pitch out of damage. He had two errors behind him, but also had plenty of walks, but he manages runners well. NC State's bullpen collapsed and gave up 4 runs after him. Final line: 6.2 IP 12K 4 BB 2 ER. It didn't feel dominant, but he definitely pitched well and limited the damage.

Great game and a good atmosphere, with about about 4,500 in attendance. It was loud, though. It dropped into the 50s by about the 5th inning, so it was a little chilly for baseball. And my 3 year old daughter Ellie battled through until the 8th, when she got tired and FSU pulled away, so we left early. She's a trooper and maybe a potential future Nole.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LeegUqPyqjg" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Nice

Return to “Welcome to the Land”