Tigers Draft History

Pat Gillespie's blog.

Moderator: Guardians

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Tigers Draft History

Post by Guardians »

It's short for now. This will be a space to keep track of how great (or horrible) I've done at drafting. If only pre-ibcleague.com drafts were available (actually, glad they aren't).

2012 Draft:

#14 (acquired in trade with Mets): Corey Seager SS, Dodgers. I considered both Joey Gallo and Yasiel Puig with this pick and it was tough to pass on either. Gallo has major power and Puig obviously is talented, but without any U.S. track record, it was tough to pull the trigger. Both are talented. But Seager, I believe, could also have a bright future. Seager is the younger brother (18 at the draft) of Mariners 3B Kyle Seager. Corey is big at 6'4 215 and will surely move to 3B, which is why I drafted him. He's got a sweet left-handed swing with gap power. He also has a nice eye, walking 21 times to 33 ks in 46 ks during his debut (Pioneer League). He hit .309/.383/.520 with 8 homers and 33 RBI. Not bad for a high school senior.

#45: Brandon Barnes OF, Pirates. Barnes is a toolsy outfielder, who was drafted as a CF, but will likely be a LF. He's got some power, some speed and a good bat. He was drafted out of Texas Tech and is from the Houston area, which produces good talent. With a good size for an OF (6'1 195), he could move through the system if he puts it together quickly. He's another guy with a strong eye, some power and speed and considering the board at the time, I thought he looked good.

#83: Jesmuel Valentin, SS Dodgers. The son of former major leaguer Jose Valentin, Jesmuel played alongside Carlos Correa at the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy. This pick was based partially on blood line and partially on having a switch-hitting shortstop with a good eye and good baseball instincts. He had 35 walks vs. 24 ks in 43 games in his debut.

#84: Branden Kline, SP Orioles. At this point, I was looking for the best starting pitcher on the board and settled on Kline, a University of Virginia product. He was part starter part closer in college, but will be starting for the Orioles. He makes his 2013 debut on Monday. He racked up 94 ks in 93.2 IP, so he can produce outs. This was a flier, which late 3rd round picks tend to be.

#129: Wilfredo Rodriguez, C, Rockies. I considered not even making this pick, but found another drop, so I gave it a shot. Rodriguez had a nice debut in the Pioneer League, hitting .319 and driving in 27 runs in 43 games. He gets solid grades for his defense and if he has the ability to hit a little, he could do well. Playing in the Colorado system certainly doesn't hurt the bat.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2013 Draft:

#4 (acquired in trade with Indians): Mark Appel, SP, Astros. I acquired this pick after two trades and moved up to attempt to draft Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. It fell short after Tanaka went #3, but Appel was the #1 overall pick in the draft and profiles as a strong #2/3 starting pitcher. If he develops well, he'll be a fine starter within 1-2 years. I was looking at Kohl Stewart at #6, but after moving up to #4, Appel was the clear choice.

#13 (acquired in a trade with Brewers): Hunter Harvey, SP, Orioles. I acquired this pick after a couple trades and he was the guy I targeted all along. While this is a pitching-heavy draft, Harvey stands out to me as a strong prospect with room to mature physically and add to his already strong pitch offerings. He'll take more time than Appel, but could be a very nice #3 behind Bundy and Gausman, perhaps playing more like a #2.

#140: Brian Navarreto, C, Twins It's always good to draft a player whose first Google result is about starting a benches clearing brawl in high school, so Navarreto was the easy choice here. He's a monster catcher out of a Jacksonville, Florida high school. He stands 6-4 and weighs 220 pounds, so it's unclear whether he'll be able to withstand the duties of catching unless he shrinks a little, but scouting reports on his defense were positive. The Twins ultimately love his power and he showed a nice eye as an 18-year-old in rookie ball. It should be fun to watch him develop.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2014 Draft:

#16 (Acquired in trade with Nationals): Bradley Zimmer, OF, Indians. I was absolutely thrilled Zimmer fell to me here. I thought there was a chance he'd go somewhere in the six picks before me and sure enough I had two people let me know they were eyeing him ahead of #16. If he hits the tip of his ceiling, he's a five-tool CF with a nice left-handed stroke who could play a great CF with a good arm, hit for a high average, steal some bases and hit a moderate amount of home runs. I think he'll tap into a few of those tools and should stick in CF. I love the upside.

#23: Jacob Gatewood, SS/3B, Brewers. The downside here is that he was drafted by the Brewers, so he might be destined to flop. The upside here is that he could have monster in-game power that translates to being a cornerstone player. This is absolutely a high-risk pick. I wanted Adrian Rondon, who went a few picks ahead, and highly considered Freeland, Beede or Adams here, so when they all become studs, I'll have documented my failure. But I need some infield depth and Gatewood could be a monster in that role.

#58: Cole Tucker, SS, Pirates This was a weird pick. As the draft went on, I concluded Gatewood was a reach at #23, though I'm banking on the power carrying him and staff working with his pitch recognition. At the time, I felt I would be able to pick up a quality arm here, but I didn't see many names I loved here. Additionally, Tucker was great value at the end of the second round, as he was a real-life first round pick. I like the profile, as I think he's got a glove that keeps him at SS and the instincts to be a line drive hitter with 8-10 HR a year. If the defense plays plus and he can hit enough, that's a solid MLB switch-hitting shortstop.

#76 Lazaro Leyva, SP, Orioles This pick kinda screwed me. I was really hoping for Cody Reed, but he went seven picks earlier. My backup options -- Ordismar Despaigne, Yoan Lopez and Anderson Espinoza -- were the next guys up. I looked for the next best gamble and Leyva was it. He's such a gamble, in fact, that as of February, his DOB is still unreported. The only scouting reports I saw were quotes from a Baltimore pitching coach that he he was hitting high 90s with a fastball. He's got an open windup (or did two years ago in one video) who hits 90s with the heat and mid 70s with offspeed offerings. Too early to tell on this one.

#173 Greg Allen, OF, Indians This was an extra pick since I had a drop in mind and wanted more 13/14 draftees. In fact, this was a late-night, kinda-drowsy pick where I thought I was adding Allen to my queue, but drafted him anyway. He was in the discussion, so I'll hang onto him for now. Coached under Tony Gwynn at San Diego State, Allen was a borderline top 100 draft prospect pre-season, but essentially didn't separate himself compared to 2013 and ended up in the 6th round. He's got very good wheels and stole 30 bags per year in college. He's got little power, but does have the ability to drive the ball from the left side. He's got a CF profile all the way and is a smart player. If things go right, he's a Ben Revere clone, which is a guy who hits well enough to lead off and plays solid CF defense.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2015 Draft:

#31: Chris Betts, C, Rays. A high school catcher who profiles as a solid defender with a workable bat. He has faced some injuries that have slowed development.

#61: Taylor Ward, C, Angels. Another pick, another catcher. Being able to take a first round pick at this spot seemed like good value. Ward has some upside with the bat and his eye at the plate.

#78: Gregory Guerrero, SS, Mets. Signed for $1.5M and profiles as a solid defensive shortstop with some pop in his bat. Nephew to Vlad and cousin to Vlad Jr.

#102: Andrew Suarez, LHP, Giants. Low-ceiling, high-floor lefty starting pitcher. Coming out of college, the idea is he'll move quickly.

#132: Jacob Taylor, RHP, Pirates. 4th round pick in MLB. Big righty high school arm whose profile depends on his development.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2016 Draft:

#25: Josh Lowe, 3B, Rays. Back-to-back years drafting a Rays player. Hopefully this one pans out. Lowe is an athletic 3B with a good eye at the plate and power. He is transitioning to CF.

#26: Lazaro Armenteros, OF, Athletics. Cuban international signing who oozes tools. Power, speed, arm, defense and plate discipline, even as a teenager. He had a hype video. Enough said.

#28: Dakota Hudson, SP, Cardinals. As I debated Lowe/Nolan Jones, I also debated Hudson/Joey Wentz. Ultimately went with the college arm in a system known for developing them quickly. Four-pitch mix and advanced feel for his stuff.

#69: Gabriel Arias, SS, Padres. D-first shortstop, but doesn't lack a bat. One of the higher-ranked international prospects and signed for $1.9M. Promoted to full season A ball as a 17-year-old.

#118: David Garcia, C, Rangers. Another international signing here. Raw catching prospect with good hands, receiving skills. Good eye at the plate. Teenagers need time to develop.

#148: Luis Curbelo, 2B, White Sox. Took a flier on Curbelo, who was drafted in the 6th round. Has some power attributes, but questions with the bat.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2017 Draft:

#29: Adam Haseley, OF, Phillies. Haseley wasn't a guy I was necessarily scouting, but as my pick approached and the #8 overall pick in the draft remained available, I couldn't resist. Great eye, power, solid D in CF. I like the overall profile.

#42: Trevor Rogers, LHP, Marlins. This was a pick as part of a trade. Cleveland I agreed to swap #32 for #42 and Kendall Graveman. #32 was Blayne Enlow, a Twins high school arm who I think has potential to make a big leap in 2018. Big body, two potential plus pitches already. If he can harness the change-up, I like his chances.

#49: Ronny Mauricio, SS, Mets. Two years removed from drafting another Mets international shortstop, I snagged Mauricio here. He is a top 10 international signing, but has the body, defense and bat to be another breakout star. Soft hands, switch hitter.

#73: Jose Adolis Garcia, OF, Cardinals. Perhaps kind of a forgotten name since he signed in spring training 2017, so I was thrilled to get him here. He's a physically mature 24-year-old with a cannon arm and power. Slugged 15 home runs over AA and AAA, kept the strikeouts reasonable and had a .340 OBP. Ready to be a major leaguer.

#119: James Marinan, RHP, Dodgers. High school arm with a big body and projection to start. Little wild in his debut, but the stuff is encouraging. Will be a lengthy development process.
Guardians

Re: Tigers Draft History

Post by Guardians »

Turns out I just stopped doing this, so let's try to get up-to-date:

2018 Draft:

#38: Lenny Torres, SP, Cleveland: I believe he was the youngest high school pitcher in the draft and despite coming out of NYC, has solid upside with a mid-90s fastball and secondaries.

#56: Jonathan Ornelas, 2B, Rangers: Speed, power, ability to take a walk in the second round is a nice get. Looks like a middle infielder.

#69: Jarren Duran, 2B/CF, Red Sox: I was targeting him all the way with this pick once I realized he was still on the board. Speed at 2B with a likely move to the OF sounded like Mookie.

#128: Alejandro Pie, SS, Rays: International signee by the Rays and the kind of frame to dream on.

#140: LuisAngel Acuna, SS, Rangers: Why not draft a relative of Ronald Acuna at the end of the draft?

#146: Cesari Moreno, SP, Braves: Big-bodied international pitcher with a big fastball.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2019 Draft:

#23: Matt Allan, SP, Mets: This was part of a trade with John that got me Blake Walston, whom I liked better.

#77: Ronnier Quintero, C, Cubs: Power-hitting, switch hitting international catcher was the play here. Catchers are risky and take a long time to develop.

#119: Bryan Medina, SP, Padres: Apparently I'm good for one large, international pitching prospect per draft. This year's version.

#131: Evan Fitterer, SP, Marlins: Fifth round pick of the Marlins who had some nice scouting grades coming out of high school.

#142: Aeverson Arteaga, SS, Giants: Another international shortstop (aren't there a million?) with a good frame, solid defense and a chance to hit.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2020 Draft:

#52: Clayton Beeter, SP, Dodgers: If he can control his pitches, he has a chance to start, but he's more likely a closer candidate.

#57: Dax Fulton, SP, Marlins: Stud lefty coming out of high school in the second round.

#58: Cristian Santana, SS, Tigers: International signee with an advanced bat who can stick in the infield. Solid upside.

#80: Jesus Galiz, C, Dodgers: International catcher who signed for a lot and was motivated by the Yankees screwing him.

#87: Jagger Haynes, SP, Padres: Owning Jag.

#95: Anthony Servideo, SS, Orioles: Swiss Army knife guy with high energy and some power.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2021 Draft:

#15: Matt McLain, SS, Reds: I really liked that McLain fell to me. Love the advanced bat and approach.

#35: Joshua Baez, OF, Cardinals: Pretty big risk/reward pick here. Monster power and a cannon, but can he hit?

#60: Hao Yu Lee, 2B, Phillies: Really nice bat coming out of Korea. Not sure if he was on the radar for many in this draft, but felt like a fun pick.

#63: Jarlin Susana, SP, Padres: It feels like I take a large Padres international pitcher every year. 2022 version.

#120: Patrick Wicklander, SP, Rays: A good draft story -- he nearly died before discovering he had diabetes -- and had a huge junior season in Arkansas. Big lefty.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2022 Draft:

#5: Termarr Johnson, SS, Pirates: I was thrilled to get him here. Most probably assumed I was targeting Senga or Yoshida, but I have depth at both positions and am a little skeptical of both. Johnson might be the best pure hitter in the draft and is a top 25 prospect. Huge get.

#50: Derniche Valdez, SS, Cubs: Huge drop between picks here, but Valdez felt like a solid get here as one of the better international prospects who signed this year. He's got the glove for SS and has strong hitting qualities.

#77: Cole Phillips, SP, Braves: Fire-balling high schooler sounds great on paper. He's also a Texan who gets Nate Eovaldi comps.

#81: Ariel Castro, OF, Twins: Back to the international class with this pick. Castro has a solid frame, and has a swing that shows potential for more power. He plays CF, but could move to a corner.

#90: Jonathan Cannon, SP, White Sox: College arm here with a four solid pitches, including a big fastball, in a 6'6 frame. He's been on a the prospects radar for a bit.

#113: Nazier Mule, SS/SP, Cubs: A two-way player who will likely end up on the mound, Mule has a triple digits fastball and a ton of athleticism. He's going to be a fun project.

#115: Cutter Coffey, SS, Red Sox: I picked up the #41 overall pick in the draft at #115, so I'm happy about that. He may be a 3B or 2B, depending on how he develops, but Coffey has a big arm and a bat-first profile.

Return to “Welcome to the Land”