All The Guardians Trades

Pat Gillespie's blog.

Moderator: Guardians

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

100. Clint Coulter to Arizona for Melky Cabrera

Balloons, streamers, confetti! Trade No. 100 since my return to the IBC in 2012. That may be an accomplishment -- I'm not sure. Sadly, this is another band-aid trade, not a blockbuster that would normally be reserved for such a landmark occasion. The good news, at least, is that it was a trade made with the great Jagger Traylor, if that's his real name.

I asked about Melky maybe a month ago maybe because I could predict the future. Around then, Jennings was undergoing knee surgery and I was a little worried that an injury to Aoki or a coming down to earth of his sim stats would put me in a tight spot. Thankfully, I started the conversation. Sadly, my prediction came true with him and Stanton.

After having picked up Markakis earlier this week, I was prepared to roll with him in right field and a combination of Brandon Barnes and Billy Burns in left field. But Jag and I continued talking during the last month to find some kind of combination that could work. While Melky is kind of a bum in real life, he's one of only 20 players with an average over .290 in the sim and he sits at .296. Even with a down real-life year, he could crack .275 next year and as a switch hitter there's value there.

The question was figuring out the proper price. It started with Coulter, whom I love because he's good and whom Jag loves because he's from the Northwest. Thankfully he came at the very low cost last year of Tim Stauffer from Minnesota.

Coulter had a monster 2014 in A ball and got promoted this year to A+ and he's still only 21. He's got a great eye, but even as a RF doesn't have a great glove/range. But the bat has come along with him to Florida, where he's still hitting for power and taking walks. I can see Coulter being a solid offensive RF with a bad glove, limiting his WAR potential, but making his way into the field. With Stanton and Zimmer ahead, he was a guy I could move. After weeks of beating Jag into submission, we agreed on the 1-1 deal rather than a multiple-player deal.

Melky will likely see some time in left field and will make a usable bench bat/pinch hitter or trade bait once I'm healthier. In retrospect, I should have made a much more impactful trade for No. 100, but you can't win them all.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

You count your trades? lol
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Rockies wrote:You count your trades? lol
Way to not pay attention the last three years, Nate Dogg. There's a number next to each trade. They are in numeric order, beginning with one and currently at 100. I believe that would be called this "counting" of which you speak.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Tigers wrote:
Rockies wrote:You count your trades? lol
Way to not pay attention the last three years, Nate Dogg. There's a number next to each trade. They are in numeric order, beginning with one and currently at 100. I believe that would be called this "counting" of which you speak.
Nah, glossed over the fact that you being each trade with a number. Never noticed. Still LOL'ing @ you, you nerd.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

101. Desmond Jennings, Tigers Draft Pick 2 to Minnesota for Julio Teheran, Twins Draft Pick 5

This started off as a discussion of Syndergaard and Seager and moved pretty quickly once that ended and Andrew offered up Teheran. I didn't know what he'd want, but with a very good projection, I was interested. Andrew was looking for position players and I listed 10-15 prospects and young players who weren't going to cripple by 2015 efforts. Of them, Andrew asked about Jennings, but said he would, understandably, need more. I made my picks available and he sought my 2nd for his 5th and the deal was completed.
Teheran has had a rough go of it in 2015, as he's seen his ERA inflate from 2.89 to 4.56, with his walk rate, home run rate and BABIP all up. Coming off a 3.5 fwar season, there were bound to be adjustments made to him and it seems he hasn't made them back. From Andrew's perspective, Teheran is looking like the 6th or 7th best pitcher in his 2016 rotation, which is why he made him available.
Jennings, on the other hand, has been hurt most of the year with knee issues he finally has gotten corrected with surgery. He should be returning soon and while his average has not been stellar, he is a source of steals and some power with very good defense. The decline of Austin Jackson and the poor seasons of Soler and Pence likely give Andrew some concern about his 2016 OF and Jennings gives him a little cushion. The likely 75-80 pick bump in the draft will give him a much more usable prospect than his fifth round pick.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

102. Matt Smoral, Tigers Draft Pick 4 to Oakland for James Russell, Athletics Draft Pick 5

I continue my strategy of stockpiling fifth round picks, which I envision as the most important round in the upcoming draft. Honestly, Russell was a nice get at a reasonable price, as my left-handed pitching has been dropping like flies. Both Wesley Wright and Joe Thatcher have been DFAd recently, so I needed some depth behind Javier Lopez. Russell has been pitching very well for Oakland, so I hope to use him as a solid lefty option out of the pen. He isn't going to be a dominant closer, but he should work as a loogy. I hope Thatcher and Wright accept minor league assignments or catch on quickly. In return, Oakland snags Smoral, a large former 1st round pick who has struggled in 2015. Best case, he's a #2/3 type and worst case is he's Russell. It's a good gamble for a team looking to go young. I think Smoral is a nice piece, but patience is required. The drop in picks may only be a dozen by the end of the season.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

103. Nick Markakis, Joe Ross, Tigers Draft Pick 3 to Texas for Hanley Ramirez, Brett Cecil, Manny Banuelos

The last time I swung a quick trade with BP, I happily picked up a (unknown to me) declining Desmond Jennings for a (unknown to me) surging Alex Gordon, who had been bad in the sim for me. So, I figured we would try to even the score a little. In the long run, I think this will be a deal I look back on and not like, but for 2015, I think it's a move I had to make.

Hanley has been a disaster for the Sox, but he's a beast of a man with a loud bat and that's what I needed. I think ultimately Stanton will be shut down for the year by the Marlins because they have nothing to gain with him in the lineup. While I've been playing surprisingly well without him (thanks, Goldschmidt/Pujols), I wanted to add another power bat. When I heard last night that Texas was making moves for 2016, I had to inquire. Brett wanted pitching and since I have a surplus, that was an easy starting point. Ross is a guy I've had for a while and I've watched him progress into what has become a very good MLB starting pitcher. On the one hand, he's had amazing success for a 22-year-old rookie. On the other, it's his first stint and will likely have some struggles at some point. I think he's going to be better than his brother because of his control, which puts him above 3 wins a season. He could end up being a solid #3 who flashes #2, which is pretty good for Hanley, who's below replacement level.

I added in Markakis to give Brett an outfielder back. Markakis has been a great replacement for me and has hit over .300 with power, though he only has 2 real-life home runs. I added in my third rounder to get back both Brett Cecil, who instantly can be a setup guy to Herrera, and Banuelos, who gives me back some depth.

Brett gets his pitcher and a competent RF, while I get my bat and a couple nice supporting pieces. As I said, I think Ross ends up being the best player in the future out of this deal, but Hanley should be a big help this year with LF/3B eligibility and at 31 he could have several more solid offensive years ahead.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

104. Adrian Beltre, Joe Thatcher, Bryan Shaw to New York (AL) for Mitch Nay, Jesse Winker, Yankees Draft Pick 3

I know...weird trade. A contender deals veteran pieces to a non-contender for prospects. I think I know this league pretty well by now, which is to say I know that Adrian Beltre wasn't going to fetch much of anything as a trade piece going into the offseason and I suspect ZIPs will ding him after the low-power season.
With Brandon Crawford solidified at shortstop, Corey Seager here and Justin Turner a legitimate starter, Beltre was going to see the bench in Detroit. He's been great for me since I got him a few years ago and I've loved what he brings. Unfortunately, the sim has predicted real life and given him little else but defense for me. He is hitting .253/.298/.399 over 400 at bats and that just can't happen anymore. With Hanley Ramirez on the team, he's going to take over the hot corner at AV/105 and we'll work Turner in and our outfield into the lineup, along with Winker, who's having a nice sim season of his own.
I could have pushed to hang onto Beltre until after the season, but JB wanted him sooner (probably to consider dealing him) and I didn't want to risk injury by hanging onto him. So, that's the reasoning. Onto the spoils.
I had a couple talks going with contenders, but I stepped up talks with the Evil Empire because he was offering the best single prospect in Jesse Winker. BP had him as #41 on the midseason top 50 and I think he's a legitimate top prospect. He's having a great season at AA, currently at .275/.375/.433 13 HR 46 RBI 8 SB. With a solid left-handed swing, I see him fitting in as a potential starting LF next year for me and I need left-handed bats. I also added a little gamble in Mitch Nay, a large-bodied 3B who can't seem to translate raw power to game power, but who is still a young 21. I also added a 3rd round pick, which is looking like a late 2nd with JB's record. That helps the draft a little.
On top of Beltre, I gave up recently DFA'd Joe Thatcher and Bryan Shaw, who was supposed to be a setup guy for me, but who has been benched for months after a 4.30 ERA over 37 innings. With my current bullpen depth, they were expendable.
All in all, I'm happy with the return, though slightly nervous about what the next six weeks brings with injuries, but I like the future pieces this one brings in.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

105. Michael Choice, Austin Gomber to Cleveland for Lewin Diaz, Felipe Rivero

It pains me to trade Michael Choice. Once a budding top 100 prospect with a huge bat and a corner outfield ceiling, he's struggled the last two years to really produce. I think the injury plagued Texas Rangers 2014 did him in, as he was rushed up and had an overall very poor year. However, he's only 25, so he could have a late-blooming career. He's mostly special to me because he's an alumni of my alma mater, the University of Texas at Arlington and I've been following him for years. Thankfully, there's another UTA alumni in the league -- Danny -- who I know will give him a good home.
After seeing Choice DFA'd this week, I figured it was time I try to get him off my roster. I asked Danny if he'd be interested and he's a good stash for a rebuilding team. I just didn't want to keep using a roster spot on him, so I asked what he'd want for Diaz, who's kind of a boom/bust guy at only 18. He's supposedly got power, though he hasn't shown it in games yet. Rivero has some loogy potential with a bad 2015 projection that could morph into a useful 2016 projection.
Danny's biggest pull here is Gomber, a 2014 Cardinals draft pick who has gotten some nice pub lately as people are noticing the very good season he's putting up. He's a lefty starter who stands 6'5, 205 and has a good shot to stick as a starter. His ceiling is probably 3, but I could see the Cardinals getting enough out of him to keep him in a rotation consistently. He looks like a solid piece and I've had others ask about him, so I think Danny picks up a guy who can be usable in a couple years, while I get a pen piece and a gamble in Diaz to stash. If Choice can be something in a few years, he ends up being a nice get for the Indians.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

106. Joe Kelly to Milwaukee for Martin Prado

I think I've asked Jared about Prado for two years. Not that he's a star, but for some reason I love the versatility and good bat he brings. After trading Beltre, he was a guy I again wanted to check in on since he's not having the best 2015. I love the depth he gives me at 3B as well as LF and several other positions and he's a solid pinch hitter and occasional starter. The perfect guy for a playoff roster. The price wasn't a deal-breaker for me. I still believe in Joe Kelly and I think he could end up being a very solid pitcher. He's still only 27 and has some good pitches, though he struggles with consistency and control. I think he has the stuff to start, so it's just a matter of him doing it a little better. Given my pitching depth, Kelly was a guy I could move. Jared grabs a pitcher with some upside and I grab a versatile hitter who provides some hopefully not needed depth.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

107. Manny Banuelos to Arizona for Evan Gattis

I'm not sure it's accurate to call Evan Gattis a catcher, but that's how I plan on using him the rest of the year. With A.J. Ellis being not that great at baseball and oft-injured, I wanted to grab another guy I could throw behind the plate for the stretch run.
I initially offered prospects for Gattis since he's pretty much terrible in all facets of the game except one, but Jag was looking for more. I then offered Banuelos because while I like him and I think he'll have a productive projection next year, I should have enough SP depth next year to get by and I'm not convinced he will have the durability to be a full-time starter. Jag -- again -- wanted more, but I wasn't going to offer more. He tried to make the case that Gattis somehow has great 2016 value due to his 22 home runs, which I wasn't buying. Shortly after, we finalized the deal.
Neither player has tremendous upside, though I think Banuelos will get a 3something ERA projection next year as a lefty, which will make him a usable rotation piece. Gattis, I think, will rotate between my bench and my inactive roster unless he makes a smart toss-in for a team needing a DH next year.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

108. Hanley Ramirez, Brandon Crawford and Kyle Hendricks to Minnesota for Noah Syndergaard, Jon Singleton and Didi Gregorius

Shh...don't tell Kyle or Brandon about this. At least for the next two games until the Rangers finish off the ALCS sweep.
During our wildcard play-in game, Andrew and I discussed Crawford, so we kicked around talks again. While Crawford's 2015 was an aberration in terms of the power, he actually cut back on the strikeouts, sacrificing some walks to hit an extra dozen home runs and doubles each. And he plays Gold Glove defense at 28 years old, putting together a top 25 fwar season. I think there's a lot of value there and the only reason I considered moving him was Corey Seager's arrival.
So, starting with Crawford, I wanted to get a clear #2 starter to pair with Lester for next season. On Minnesota, I saw that as Bumgarner or Thor, recognizing that Bumgarner was likely a non-starter. Surprisingly, Thor wasn't a non-starter, so we kept talking.
Andrew, dealing from a position of strength, still wanted an arm back and while I really like Kyle Hendricks, he wasn't going to be a guy I held back in a deal for Syndergaard, so he was included. Because I don't know what kind of defense the sim will give Seager at shortstop, I wanted some depth. Sadly, Andrew's only option is Yankee Didi Gregorious, so he will be traded soon due to the IBC Tigers' no-Yankee policy. He had a strong second half and played top-notch defense, so he has good value.
The last two pieces were tacked on at the end. Since Andrew is looking for offense, I offered up Hanley who was supposed to be my offensive replacement for Stanton before he himself got hurt (maybe?) and missed the rest of the year. In 2016, he was looking like a backup DH/LF/3B/SS in some capacity. I don't think his 2015 is indicative of what he can do and I think the sim will recognize he still has plenty of offensive value. Defensively, he's a mess, but Andrew can plug him into 1B or DH and he'll be an upgrade over Singleton. Singleton is barely 24 and continues hitting homers and taking walks, so he's a solid guy to stash away in the hopes that he can replace Pujols in a couple years.
I think this deal will no doubt help Andrew in 2016, giving him a stronger offense, but I think Thor will help me match up well in a playoff series, Didi will help me as a nice piece of trade bait and Singleton will be a nice down-the-road project.
Last edited by Guardians on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

109. Julio Teheran, Shelby Miller, Didi Gregorius, Bradley Zimmer, Tigers Draft Pick 1, Yankees Draft Pick 3 to Atlanta for Chris Sale, Rich Hill, Braves Draft Pick 2, Braves Draft Pick 3

Another blockbuster in Detroit. One thing our fans have gotten used to is the GM's willingness to roll the dice. We certainly were hoping for a more productive 2015, though a trip to the ALCS was nice. This trade is a signal that Detroit is hoping for more in 2016.

I asked Brandon about Sale pre-deadline, but didn't expect a big trade like that to really materialize and it didn't. I asked again after his post, not expecting something to happen. I knew I would need to move young pitching and while I really like Miller and Teheran, I knew I would need to lose one or both (or Wood) in this deal. Miller had an amazing season and I saw him as a very good #3. Teheran, coming off a very good 2015 in the IBC, I saw as my #4, but whose projection could be a #3.

Gregorious was a piece Brandon wanted since he doesn't really have a true shortstop and I didn't need him. Zimmer was tough to swallow, as he's a top 15-25 prospect who had a great full season in 2015. I can see Zimmer being a top of the order center fielder who can hit for power and steal and that's going to be very valuable if it develops. But, he was the type of guy I knew I couldn't hold out of a deal if I was serious about picking up a player of Sale's caliber, especially without having to discuss Goldschmidt, Stanton or Seager.

Sale is obviously the headliner here. He's an amazing left-handed starter who has become one of the best in the league at only 26 years old. And he instantly becomes my ace. Sale is actually an ace and those don't often become available. I love Jon Lester, and he's been a very good, consistent starter, but he's not an ace. Thor could become an ace, but Sale is a no doubt ace, which is awesome to have. I liked my pitching in 2015, but I felt it was good top to bottom, not necessarily dominant at the top. I believe Sale/Syndergaard/Lester is unmatched.

But a guy I really liked getting back is Rich Hill. Out of nowhere last year he returned from injury to throw three straight 10 strikeout performances for the Red Sox, finishing the season with a 1.55 ERA and a 1.1 fwar year over his 29 innings. He's going to be 36 to start the season, but I think he can slot in as a #5 starter until Alex Cobb returns from surgery. Then, I can see him transitioning into a lefty/long reliever or spot starter role for me. I expect a solid projection, which made losing the extra pitching bearable.

The picks amounted to a three pick drop in the first/second and a five pick upgrade in the third, which wasn't a deal-breaker to me. I obviously need to avoid major injury with my two newest prized acquisitions and if I can, I should be ready to compete next year.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

110. A.J. Ellis, Nori Aoki, to Philadelphia for Jed Lowrie, Pedro Strop, Leonardo Crawford

This wasn't exactly a thriller on the heels of the Sale trade, but it would be tough to follow that up with anything as big. This was one of those trades that seeks to fill some roster gaps.

Aoki had a really good 2015 for me -- .283/.361 with 8 HR 53 RBI 30 SB 61 Runs -- primarily from the leadoff spot. In real life, he had a 1-win season not striking out much, taking a few walks and being a solid hitter. I think he has good value as a third starting OF and potential table setter.

The other piece moving was A.J. Ellis, who like Aoki is past his prime, but still can be a solid contributor. In a little more than 1/3 of a season he had more than 1 win of value. He had surprising pop and continues to take walks at a good rate. He's a good backup catcher. I'm planning on the return of Christian Vazquez and will get a catcher (albeit weak) catcher projection out of Evan Gattis.

The guy I liked most coming back is Pedro Strop. Surprisingly, he's now 30 (seems like just recently he was struggling for Texas and Baltimore). Since 2011 he's really become a back-end workhorse and a reliable setup reliever. My pen is strong with Storen, Herrera, Cecil on the back end with Hunter, Rivero, Lopez and Thornton setting up. Adding Strop shortens games ala the KC Royals and IBC Phillies and Dodgers.

A needed second piece was Jed Lowrie. While he's injury prone and now into his 30s, he gives me a solid backup infielder who's a switch hitter and has a little power. Mainly I wanted him to replace Didi Gregorious as a backup to Seager. I don't expect a very good defensive projection at the position, but I expect multi-position eligibility with a decent walk rate.

Lastly, I like Leonardo Crawford. I can't say I know a ton about him other than he's an 18-year-old signed by the Dodgers out of Nicaragua and he combined for a no-hitter in July. He threw 63 innings with a 1.41 ERA/1.71 FIP and an 11k/9 ip and 1.5bb/9 ip rates in the DSL. He's very far off, but scouting reports show he hits low 90s with his fastball and has a curve and change. That's a good start.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

111. Jon Singleton, Jesse Winker, Wilfredo Tovar to Oakland for Manuel Margot, Neil Ramirez, Red Sox Draft Pick 3, Athletics Draft Pick 4

Nothing like ringing in the new year with a trade, though this wasn't an easy one. For one, deals with Nils tend to take months of variations on both sides before something can actually happen. He was interested in Winker and Singleton and I really didn't want to move either. I think Winker can be an average power corner outfielder with a high OBP and ok defense, which should be good for several wins a year. Singleton I may be higher on that most -- I think he should/could break camp as the Astros' 1B and if he does and has the type of season he's capable of, this is probably a bad deal for me. However, he'll need to prove that his small sample sizes so far in the majors aren't indicative of his future success.
Tovar was a toss-in and a guy I didn't want to have to cut for a 4th round pick because I truly like him. But with Lowrie, Alberto, Seager, Turner, Prado and Altuve in the infield, he was extra.
The guys coming back are exciting. Margot is to-date the best player in the deal, which is a nice asset to have. He's got plus speed, defense and raw power with a good hit tool and should stick in center field. If you can move a corner outfielder for a center fielder, it's usually a win. And while I have Pollock in CF now, it's nice to have some insurance.
Ramirez along with the rest of the Cubs broke the ZIPs machine and he checks in with a 129 ERA+ projection and 2.94 ERA, which will allow me to employ a Royals-esque bullpen with him, Cecil, Hunter, Strop, Herrera and Storen -- all with top-notch projections in the back of the Tigers' pen. He's only 26, so as long as he can avoid the type of injury he had last year, he should be a nice piece in this deal.
I really wanted #78 in this deal. I need a few 2015 draftees and I think this should net me a decent player. #102 was an add-on for extra value and I hope I can turn it into another decent prospect.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

112. Jason Frasor and Taylor Ward to Minnesota for Tyler Nevin

This trade took a slightly different shape as it was completed during the draft. So, it was Frasor for Windle and then Ward for Nevin. I wanted a higher pick than this, but couldn't find a willing trade partner and Frasor was going to be a drop during the draft anyway, so I took what I could get. Frasor has a nice projection, but he's old and after getting Neil Ramirez tossed into a prior deal, not a priority.
Ward is the Angels' top prospect, but that's because the Angels have arguably the worst farm in baseball. But he's a solid player and I'm sure Andrew's happy to have him. I was looking for a pitcher here, but the guy I wanted got taken. Nevin was next up on my list. Son of Phil, he's got a strong arm that will keep him at 3B (despite TJ more than a year ago), he can take walks and can hit for power. Being drafted by Colorado certainly helps. I think he'll be a very good gamble to move through the system just in time for Arenado to get too pricey for the Rockies to keep. Worst case, he moves over to 1B, but hopefully he sticks at the hot corner.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

113. Jacob Gatewood and Jed Lowrie to Minnesota for Colin Moran and Foster Griffin

This was a trade 100 percent made out of boredom. No, really. My conversation with Andrew started as "I'm bored...deal me someone awesome." I don't know that I got anyone awesome, but I did get a deal done, so that was fun.
I've been a Colin Moran fan for some time. While he's not a stud, I think he can be a quality major league hitter. The power, defense and speed are questionable, but I think he's got enough of an arm and glove to stick at third base. If he does, I think he can play -- similar to a left-handed Martin Prado type. If that's the case, I'll take it. Worst case is he has to move off 3B and he's not really usable.
Foster Griffin is a decent lefty prep starter drafted in 2014. He played more than half of 2015 as a 19-year-old in the Sally League and while the results weren't great, scouts agree he just needs more time to develop. At 6'3 200 and a three pitch mix, I see a starter profile, albeit toward the end of a rotation. I wasn't expecting an ace for the return.
Lowrie was a guy picked up earlier this offseason to potentially be used as an emergency shortstop and overall utility guy. Several people have asked about him and while I've always liked him, I think he's more of a 2B/3B backup rather than shortstop and I should have that covered better in Martin Prado. So, he was a guy I could move. And, sim-wise, he and Moran are a toss offensively.
Gatewood was a flier in the 2014 draft and one I regret. At #23, there were several good pitchers on the board and that A.J. Reed guy who would have been better picks. But, the prep shortstop with the best power of the class were tempting. While Gatewood is the same age as Foster, he's got a lot to work on with the bat -- 133 k between Low A and Rookie ball last year -- but if it comes together he's going to be a beast. There's just a long way to go for that. And I think he's ultimately a 3B and Moran is a safer bet there.
Overall a relatively minor deal with some risks, but it killed the end of the day Thursday, so I'm happy with it.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

114. Evan Gattis to Arizona for Cody Reed and Mauricio Dubon

Was so busy the last couple weeks of February and first couple weeks of March I just forgot about this. Around the time JB was asking about a DH, Jag asked me about Gattis, whom I got from him last year in a deal for Manny Banuelos. Last year, Gattis was catcher insurance for Gomes even though he's not a catcher. This year, he was honestly not going to be on my bench as a PH/DH unless there is a rash of injuries (there will be, I'm sure).

So, Gattis was available and i was just looking to pick up some farm help. Reed first came to mind, as he was one of my targets in the 2014 draft a few picks after he was taken by Shawn. But 1-1 didn't feel right since he's not THAT Cody Reed and while a solid lefty arm, has some things to work out. Dubon was a guy Jag offered up as a second piece and while I don't know a ton about him, it's often good to have a Sox prospect. He may be a 2B in the end, but he has played SS and showed solid contact skills and he generally doesn't strike out.

I like the upside and while Gattis provides power, that's about it. He's strictly a DH at this point and without much of a bat, it's all or nothing. The farm got a little deeper as a result, so I'm happy with it.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Whew. We were all waiting in breathless anticipation for this write up.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Nationals wrote:Whew. We were all waiting in breathless anticipation for this write up.
Welcome
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

At least Pat didn't get his Cody Reeds confused.. :P
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

115. Colin Moran to St. Louis for Hunter Harvey

I got my boy back! Harvey was a big target of mine in the 2013 draft. It's a good thing since the Mark Appel pick was, shall we say, less than good it turns out. Harvey was my guy all the way at #13. (Of note, Moran went #14). Moran was a guy I have liked for a while and could end up being that Matt Carpenter type that in four years starts hitting home runs since he's a good hitter.
Reports suggest his glove isn't great and there's a chance he moves to 1B. At either position, there's a lot of pressure on the bat, so we'll see how Houston plays it. At 3B he has an easier path and I think he is on the right track to play soon. But between Turner and Prado, a potential move by Seager to 3B and Anderson Franco, I like my 3B situation. My SP situation not as great.
I've been looking for ways to bolster my starting pitching depth and Harvey is a great way to do that. Of course, there's a lot of risk here. He had elbow issues last year and a groin strain this spring. He still has #2 upside as long as the Orioles don't completely destroy him. The mechanics are smooth, delivering a solid fastball, great curve and good changeup. The question will be whether he can stay on the field. If so, he could be a great get.
I think both players have the pedigree to be major leaguers. Moran is closer and safer. Harvey is further away and riskier with more upside. Should be a fun one to watch.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

116. Manuel Margot to Texas for Prince Fielder, Nick Markakis and Chris Young.

Misread an email in the midst of packing for a trip while rushing. This was the trade.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

117. Pedro Strop to Cincinnati for Daniel Murphy

I saw Ken was looking to move Murphy for a while and he was initially interested in Neil Ramirez. He ended up not liking him as much after running some sims, but they came back asking for Strop. Strop rates a little higher in my book, but both have very good projections. Strop is also five years older, so after looking things over, I agreed.
Murphy doesn't fill an immediate need, but I've always thought he was a solid player with a nice bat. He's been a consistent .280-.290 hitter with about 12 home runs at 2B. His fielding metrics have been improving, though the sim still rates him as fair at 2B and 3B. But I like the idea of having a solid lefty with good splits available off the bench or to platoon with one of my righty hitters.
Overall, this wasn't a need-based deal, but I like my bullpen depth and felt it was a good value move. Murphy and Strop are both hot and will cool, but I'll take an everyday player hanging out on my bench.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

118. Yan Gomes, Alex Wood, Cody Reed to Miami for Salvador Perez, Edinson Volquez

Odd set of circumstances here. I saw Walter online right as I was leaving work and since we hadn't chatted in months. I wanted to check to see how he was doing. I jokingly asked about Kershaw and Perez and while the former wasn't real, I did want to check in on Perez.
Over the course of a couple hours in between diaper changes, dinner prep and bed time stories, we got down to an offer he made that ultimately I felt was reasonable.
Perez and Gomes really aren't too far apart according to ZIPs (about a win), but I think most would agree Perez is the stronger catcher. He doesn't take walks, but he typically hits well and he's a plus defender. He's also two years younger. Initially, Walter asked about relievers, but hours after dealing Strop, I couldn't see gutting my pen further. I offered Wood for Volquez to get Walter seven years younger in the rotation. I don't love getting older, but I have been looking to swap Wood out for a right-handed pitcher for a while, so that accomplishes a goal. Sim-wise, I think Volquez will mostly be ok as a No. 5 and his durability is better, which is a nice perk.
The toughest part of the deal was Walter asking for Cody Reed back. I was really excited to get him from Arizona a month ago since he was a big target of mine in the 2014 draft. Last year he was good; this year he's been unreal. Dude's got a -0.16 FIP -- I've never seen that. SSS, I know, but 22K/0BB in 11 IP is impressive no matter what level. He's solid, so he was tough to move, but in this case, the upgrade at catcher, a position where I've been historically weak, was tough to pass up.

Return to “Welcome to the Land”