All The Guardians Trades

Pat Gillespie's blog.

Moderator: Guardians

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

119. Melky Cabrera, Chris B. Young to Pittsburgh for Rio Ruiz, Travis Jankowski

This was a deal kicked off by JP's minor interest in Melky due to the injury and general ineffectiveness of Alex Gordon (who, six hours later is no longer an IBC Pirate anyway). Melky was one of the many players I had on the block not because I dislike him (in fact, I've had him two different times now), but because I have so much depth and needed to bulk up the farm. Cabrera is going to provide iffy range a good arm and equal splits with a good average and below average power. That's who he is and that's what JP should get. He can play either corner. Young was a toss-in on my part because again, he was a guy I didn't need to have, but given his CF projection, I needed a replacement.
The deal started with Ruiz because he was one of the few prospects I had interest in and I do like him. He was previously a highly touted 3B prospect and while it seems like he's been around forever, he's only 22 in AAA. And it seems this year he's figured out how to hit better, slashing .260/.345/.364 to date. He needs to start showing the raw power he is said to have in games to have any value, but at the same time he's playing in an organization with little MLB talent, so he should get opportunities.
Jankowski was the CF replacement for Young and provides plus-plus speed and solid defense with an average arm as a 24-year-old. If he can hit in the majors like he has in the minors, he could be a Billy Burns type who hits and walks enough to get some playing time.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

120. Gregory Guerrero and Tigers Draft Pick 2 to St. Louis for Kevin Pillar

I bugged Aaron several weeks ago about Pillar, but there didn't seem to be any traction. I came back last week and re-kindled talks. With Pollock out for the entire year to-date, I have been relying on Billy Burns to handle CF and he has done so for all 89 games this season. He wasn't getting it done. While defensively he's fine, the average is low and despite his great speed, the sim doesn't like to award him stolen bases. I was willing to grab a ex/ex type CF and just eat the bat since that's basically what I have in Burns, but I thought more highly of Pillar.

In projection, he's a .270 hitter with double digit home run power and stolen base speed with VG/VG defense in center. With Burns VG/FR, this is a nice upgrade and will cut down on extra bases the second half.

The price was tough, but reasonable. I'm really high on Guerrero. He's a 2015 draft pick who was a consensus top five international signee last year. As a 17-year-old shortstop playing his first professional season, he's hitting .275/.358 with 6 SB and 15 walks vs. 24 strikeouts in 30 games. There's a lot to like there. A second round pick likely is going to fall around 57 in the draft, which is a nice place to pick up a solid prospect.

With Aaron rocking Betts and Yelich and Piscotty and others in a rotation in the outfield, Pillar was a movable piece. For me shoring up my defense and wanting some CF insurance and hopefully a little bonus bat, this was a deal I really like.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

121. Prince Fielder, Martin Prado and Dustin Garneau to Minnesota for Hunter Pence and Jason Castro

It's fitting that new Twins GM Ian should make his first IBC trade with the league's most prolific trader.* This started off simply as an ask for Hunter Pence, who is the best baseball player to come out of the University of Texas at Arlington -- the alma mater of both myself and Danny. But acquiring him also fills a hole for me. With Pillar now in place to play center field, my left field situation was still something of a mess.

I started off the year using Melky Cabrera, then Markakis, then Prado and while all provided some level of value, they aren't studs. Melky was shipped away in a deal that got me younger and now I've used Prado's very good major league season coupled with his extreme versatility to grab a more powerful (when healthy) outfielder in Pence, whom I will slot into LF the rest of the season. Though Prado's projection is better in many ways than Pence's, I'm paying here to get a little more power while sacrificing outfield arm, versatility and batting average. And with Daniel Murphy as an emergency 3B and Ruiz in the minors, I should be covered defensively.

But given his name value, Ian wanted a little more. We couldn't settle on a prospect and then he asked about Prince Fielder. Prince was acquired earlier this year and I like the fact that he breaks up my lineup of mostly righties. And while he's done well as a platoon DH, his splits aren't great and Pujols has been excellent in the sim. In the majors, Fielder's numbers look atrocious, but that's mainly because of an extremely low BABIP. His walk and k rates are consistent and he's still hitting home runs. But he seems to not be able to get into a groove. With Pujols doing well enough in real life, I was willing to keep the older hitter and move Fielder. But given that we were talking prospects and jumped to major leaguer, I wanted something back in.

Since I figured Ian didn't want to toss back picks or prospects, as he's looking past 2016, I asked about Castro or Hanigan so I could improve my situation behind Perez. Castro is basically a platoon catcher, but he's only 29 and has been good in the past. In fact, I had him when I first re-joined the IBC and he was my first drop (regrettably). Garneau was a toss-in so Ian had a backup.

I think Ian ends up getting a solid utility guy in Prado (who is younger than Pence...crazy!) and Fielder can easily slot in as his #5 hitter next year at DH/1B with Hanley in the middle of the lineup. By the way, guys, Ian is a tough negotiator. He should do well here.

*self-given but totally accurate title
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

122. Hunter Harvey and Christian Vazquez to Oakland for Triston McKenzie, Reese McGuire, Washington Draft Pick 2

Until Nils becomes obsessed with another of my players, this may one of our last trades for a while. He has been asking about Vazquez for at least a year and Harvey ever since I acquired him in April. Neither was easy to deal.
Ultimately, I think Harvey has the highest upside of any player in the deal, so it's never fun to admit you dealt that away. However, he has thrown roughly 120 innings as a pro over four seasons and could be in line for TJS. While he's still young, I could see him being a 26-year-old in AA at some point down the road. I love him, but I worry about him.
The only reason I moved Vazquez was because I felt confident in Jason Castro as a main backup to Perez and with McGuire having a projection, I felt covered there. Vazquez is an amazing defensive catcher who can frame and throw. However, he can't hit. I have hopes he can hit enough to be a starter, which probably makes him a 2-3 win catcher, but until he can handle even the basics, he'll be a backup. At 25, I don't think he'll reinvent his swing, but I think he can be solid.
In return, I get McKenzie, whom I'm very high on and wanted to draft last year. I love the talent, the smooth and repeatable motion and the projection to be a mid-90s pitcher with that big frame that will fill out as he leaves his teens. He probably doesn't have Harvey's upside, but I suspect he has a better chance hitting his, which is probably a No. 3 starter since he already has a three-pitch mix.
Piece No. 2 was McGuire, another good prospect in a good system. He's a left-handed catcher who is known for a plus arm. His defensive mechanics need work, but Pirates staff love him and think he would be their catcher of the future. With a nice left-handed swing, McGuire can hit to all fields with some power. He hasn't really shown home run power in games, but it seems he could end up as a good OBP guy with some home runs and a lot of doubles power. His bat should outdo Vazquez's and with Chris Betts also in the system, I like the future.
Lastly, I picked up Washington's second round pick, which should be in the mid-40s range. For our draft, that ends up being an upgrade to the pick I lost last week and should net another good prospect. This is obviously a deal that will be judged in several years, but I like my haul and hope I didn't just lose a future TORP.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

123. Travis Jankowski and Tigers Draft Pick 3 to Chicago (NL) for Koji Uehara, Wei-Yin Chen

Gambles all around on this one. Uehara and Chen both have very useful 2016 projections. Uehara and Chen are both very hurt. It's possible neither will pitch the rest of this year and it's also possible Uehara retires after not pitching the rest of the year. However, if they return, they will be major assets for the rest of the year.
Uehara has a pectoral issue, which could sideline him a month or longer. If he returns by the end of September, I'm happy (as are the Sox). Chen has a sprained elbow, which could mean TJ is coming (the Cashner/Rea trade indicates such), but we'll see if rest works. If not, he's 31 and has a 3+ ERA projection as a lefty starter. Even in 2018, he should be useful. A lot has to go right for this deal to work out, but even if it doesn't help in 2016, it could still be ok.
Jankowski is a plus speed, plus defense CF who's 25 and having a nice season. You won't see power (1 HR 7 RBI), but you'll get steals (17) and defense. He's already above a win, so Pat has a useful player next year. DET 3 will be just shy of #90, so Pat will get a decent guy there if he keeps the pick.
I believe this is my first deal with Pat since returning to the league in 2012 and hopefully one that gives me a boost this year.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

124. Triston McKenzie and Nationals Draft Pick 2 to Boston for Matt Duffy and Patrick 15-Weigel

I reached out to Tullar about Duffy a while back and while he won't be starting, I -- rightfully I believe -- have a paranoia about having enough MLB starters. In Duffy, I acquired a guy who can step in and start at SS or 3B if needed due to injuries. As a 4-win player last year, he established himself as a slick-fielding 3B with a good eye and bat and enough power to start. An injury this year has hampered his numbers, but he's 25 and a trade from SF to TB has transformed him into a shortstop. I expect him to be a safety net for Justin Turner's knees and in case something happens to Corey Seager. Having Hanser Alberto as your main UTIL has worked so far this year, but wouldn't have looked good if he was needed to start. I was also able to pick up Patrick Weigel, a huge man at 6-6, 220 with a high 90s fastball, curve and change. Coming out of a small college he wasn't drafted until the 7th round, but has put up big numbers in his first full pro season.

I gave up a personal favorite in Triston McKenzie, a 19-year-old with electric stuff who's already gotten promoted this year. I fully expect him to be a top 100 prospect and he could keep shooting up as he keeps dominating the competition. I love him, but when you've got a 19-year-old and can move him for a 25-year-old major league starter, it's something you have to consider. McKenzie could be awesome in three years, but who knows what will happen. Washington 2 should be around #50, so there's a supplemental first round pick or international guy there, so that was tough to move, but all in all I think it was a good value move. Side note: this is my first deal with Boston since returning to the league. Only two teams remain that I haven't deal with.
Last edited by Guardians on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

125. Albert Pujols and Wei-Yin Chen to Minnesota for Dylan Cozens, Franklyn Kilome, Twins Draft Pick 1

Ian approached me originally in July asking for either Prince Fielder or Pujols in a previous deal. Despite the age gap, I preferred Pujols' projection and productivity and took a gamble on his age. Having suffered an unfortunate occurrence with Fielder, Ian came back asking for Pujols. And given my considerable depth -- Pence, Murphy and others -- he was a guy I was willing to move.

Pujols has been a pretty long-standing member of the IBC Tigers, having been acquired from Baltimore in 2014 to soften the blow of losing Goldschmidt to injury in the middle of a playoff race. Despite constant foot issues, he has continued to play -- and hit -- as he has done this year. He's amazing, but he's also old. I saw this as an opportunity to take some gambles to get younger, dealing from a position of strength.

Cozens, Kilome and picks were put on the table and while Cozens has been stout this year, I primarily wanted to add pitching depth to the farm. I also wanted to add a good pick and since a first was available, I inquired about that on top of Cozens to see what the trio would require back. Ian asked about Chen, a lefty who suffered an injury midway through the season but who had a very strong projection.

The pair Minnesota gets back will help him in 2017 as he tries to reestablish a competitive team. The Twins were a viable playoff contender this team and have the pieces to be next year. Adding 30 home runs at first and what should amount to a solid #3 lefty starter will add some havoc to the ALC.

The upside for me is dealing away guys from depth in order to get younger. Pujols can be replaced at DH by Daniel Murphy or Hunter Pence in some form and with the top four of my rotation set barring injury, a combination of Hill, Cobb and Volquez should suffice.

Cozens had a 40-HR 20-SB season in AA as a monster right fielder and Kilome, while starting off horribly, bounced back to have a very fine season as a starting pitcher. The pick retains some value somewhere in the middle of the first round, so here's to Minnesota dropping a few more games between now and Oct. 2!
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

126. Mark Appel to Oakland for Derek Law

Nearly three years ago (1/4/14) I traded up to the No. 4 pick in the draft to try to get Tanaka. With Baltimore picking Tanaka at 3 (two picks behind Bryant...sooo close), I ended up taking Appel. It turns out there were many better players taken in that first round, but Appel was appealing having been the real No. 1 overall and a great talent coming out of Stanford. Unfortunately, that talent hasn't translated at all and now he's a 25-year-old starter in AAA coming off a second surgery (bone spurs, prior appendectomy) and not showing any real command. This is certainly a good gamble for Nils because if Philly can get Appel to turn things around, Nils could be picking up an easy #3 upside starter. I'm interested how ZIPS will treat him, considering how bad his minor league numbers have been. My estimation is best case he ends up as a high leverage RP after a couple failed years as a starter, which puts him closer to 29/30 when he becomes useful.
I'm trading that potential for a proven commodity in Derek Law, a hard-throwing reliever who has shown closer stuff in San Francisco. Law, 26, had a great rookie year, tossing 55 innings with a 2.13 ERA and 8.18 K/9 and 1.47 BB/9. Law also has injury concerns, but I believe will be a very usable reliever next year and moving forward. It's tough to give up on once highly touted guys, but sometimes it makes sense. I hope this is one of those times.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

127. Franklyn Kilome and Mauricio Dubon to Philadelphia for Wade Davis

The reunion of Wade Davis to the IBC Tigers has been a long time coming. In fact, Davis was the first player I ever traded (along with Rich Thompson for Ryan Roberts, Ben Revere and Jordan Walden). At the time, Davis was a meddling #5 starter for the Rays, showing very little promise and a season away from being tested as a reliever and then shipped with James Shields and Elliott Johnson to KC for Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi and Mike Montgomery.

Flash forward to 2016 and he's now one of the best closers in baseball, is 31 and is coming off a season featuring a couple tough injuries. However, he had a 2.32 ERA projection and put up a 1.87 ERA over 43.1 MLB innings this year. I think that will translate pretty well. With Davis (and previously Law), I believe I had shored up a 2017 weakness, which was the bullpen. A down year from Storen, potential retirement of Uehara and some other poor numbers led me to look at potential back-end options.

I asked Nick about some other lower options along with Davis, assuming the price would be too high. Nick said he liked Kilome (Phillie) and needed a SS, so I offered Dubon, a Red Sox helium prospect I got from Jag last off season as a toss-in at his offering. No one really knew anything about him, but hitting with Moncada and Benintendi really helped the kid and he had a huge year between A+ and AA. He hit 6 HR over two levels with 30 SB and an average well over .300. Plus, the kid takes a walk. I've seen split reports on his defense, but most believe he can play SS. Kilome started off horribly and had a very strong finish in A ball, finishing with 130 K in 114 IP. He's young and far off, but there's a lot to dream on. Both will be top 10 prospects and I could see one jumping into the back end of Top 100 lists.

Davis has some injury concerns, but looks to really solidify the back end of my 2017 bullpen with Herrera and Law, Cecil and Rivero, Storen, hopefully Uehara and others.
Last edited by Guardians on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

His walk rate was pretty good actually...
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Phillies wrote:His walk rate was pretty good actually...
Yeah, sorry...typo. I think that was a cross between "the kid takes a walk" and "the kid doesn't k." Both are true...k rate and bb rates are both very good.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

128. Koji Uehara to Washington for Sam Coonrod

For a contending team, dealing a veteran reliever coming off a pretty solid year doesn't seem like it would make sense. But if that reliever is 42 years old and coming off a problematic injury, maybe you reconsider. That was the case here. Z was asking for relievers and he asked about Koji. Perhaps I didn't gauge the market well, but I figured not many people would be asking about him. I debated for a few days about whether it makes sense to move him or hang onto him for his 2017 value. Ultimately, since there's a chance he may retire and the fact I have Davis, Herrera, Law and Storen in my pen, I felt ok about dealing him.
Coonrod wouldn't be my first choice in a trade target, but he has some nice qualities. For one, he can hit the high 90s and has at least 1 other quality pitch. Scouts differ on whether he has a third out pitch, which will ultimately determine if he's a reliever or starter long-term.
I like my pen next year with the addition of Davis and while Koji was a nice option, he's also not a guaranteed option. Coonrod adds a solid pitching prospect into the system, saving me 18 years in the process.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

129. Twins Draft Pick 1 to Texas for Cardinals Draft Pick 1 and Phillies Draft Pick 1

When Brett said he was looking to get into the teens, I figured I would check in and the transaction took about five minutes. I don't have a specific target for this draft and while I'm sure #17 has a chance to net a higher-quality player than these later picks, it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot after you get out of the first 10-12 picks. I now have three first round picks -- all between 25 and 30 -- which will do a good job of reinvigorating my somewhat barren farm system. I'm happy to play the odds here and Brett moves a little closer to the top of the draft.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

130. Jordan Patterson, Cardinals Draft Pick 1 to Cleveland for Odubel Herrera, Rangers Draft Pick 3

I've made known my desire to pick up another lefty bat for the lineup after running out a lineup all year that featured eight righties and Corey Seager. By moving Albert Pujols and putting my DHing trust in amazing and fantastic player Daniel Murphy, that adds one lefty. Picking up Herrera adds another, giving me a much more balanced 2017 lineup.

Herrera is 24 going on 25 and is a speedy center fielder who has some power as well. Given his average-ish defense, I think he'll profile well as a left fielder next year (where he got a projection this year) with Pollock and Pillar established in center field. I see some positive gains between 2015 and 2016 for Herrera. He hit seven more homers in about 130 more at bats and despite the extra workload, increased his BB rate and decreased his k rate. His BABIP also dropped 40 points and yet he maintained a batting average near .300. I don't think he's a consistent 20/20 player, but I think a 10/25 player at .300 isn't out of the question. If his defense can remain consistent, his value should hold.

In return, Danny gets a lotto ticket and a good prospect. Jordan Patterson is a 24-year-old lefty corner OF/1B who has impressed at every level so far. He's got good power and surprising speed for a guy who stands 6-4. As a hitter in the Rockies' system, I can see him easily putting up nice power numbers given enough opportunities. Since the Rockies haven't had a great 1B situation since Todd Helton, maybe that's his spot. In a brief 2016 debut, he hit .444. He's hit double digit homers and stolen double digit bases each year. This is what I wrote in 2014 when I acquired him:
"if he continues to progress in the Rockies' system aggressively, he could end up being like Charlie Blackmon and really get regular playing time around 26." That may still be the case. Danny also picks up the Cardinals' first round pick, one of the two first rounders I got from Texas in exchange for a first round upgrade.

So, I still retain two first rounders and Texas' 3rd rounder is a late 2. My draft doesn't get killed and while Patterson had some potential as a bench bat next year, I pick up a likely starter. But I do sacrifice the talent of a first round pick, which likely helps Danny add to his young depth and he snags a guy who could end up being a sneaky good Denver slugger.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

131. Jon Lester, A.J. Pollock, Daniel Murphy, Luke Leftwich, Sam Coonrod to Philadelphia for Freddie Freeman, Jeff Samardjiza, Max Kepler, Franklyn Kilome, Josh Staumont

Well, now we have an off season! As many of my trades do, this started off with a very pointless message to an owner expecting zero traction. In this case, it was Nick and I pulling off our first blockbuster in the end. He posted "someone trade me stuff," so I sent him a message titled "someone trade me stuff" and off we went.

I was after Freddie Freeman, though didn't really expect to get anywhere. Freeman is Nick's cornerstone player (though one could argue Donaldson) and I didn't expect him to entertain the idea. However, he's in compete-now mode (he always is), so I dangled the typical vets I have on my block (Rich Hill, Daniel Murphy, Hunter Pence, etc.). Surprisingly, he came back with a framework of Freeman/Shark/something for Pollock/Lester/Murphy.

For one, I wasn't dying to move Lester or Pollock here. Lester, I love, but he's my #3, making him probably the strongest #3 in the league. However, he's 33 and I do have some concern about his inability to throw to first base and the fact that he'll be working without his trusted sidekick David Ross. He's certainly a very good pitcher and I would expect him to still be very good and reliable for another few years. For this year alone, he's certainly got a good projection and that will be missed.

Pollock certainly had a bad 2016 after a freak injury the day before opening day kept him out until September. I love the guy and still think he can be one of the top hitters in the league, but he's also got something to prove after two injury filled years sandwiching his amazing 2015. Having Odubel Herrera and Kevin Pillar, the latter of whom already has a strong projection, and Greg Allen coming, I feel like CF is a strong area, so this was trading from a position of strength. That doesn't mean dealing a player of his caliber is easy, but it's easier.

Murphy is an interesting ZiPS test case. Amazing 2015 playoffs, very good 2016 season with never before seen power, good projection in average/obp, medium power, still poor defense and turning 32 in the spring. I have no doubt he can turn in a .300/.350 18/75 type of season in the sim, which has plenty of value, but given his age and track record, I think he needs another top-notch MLB season to keep his projection steady. After last year's near-MVP season, I thought ZiPS would have treated him a little better in the power department. But he's a very good 2B who would easily start if I didn't have Jose Altuve.

So, that was the haul going out, for the most part. The return:

Freddie Freeman is amazing. He's 27 and is coming off a 34-homer season where he hit .302/.400/.569. He finally has some insurance behind him. It's Matt Kemp, but it's something, and he's over that 2015 wrist injury. Some may think it's a little redundant since I have Goldschmidt and I would give you that, but I expect one at DH and one at 1B. Murphy was my scheduled DH in order to get another lefty in my lineup and now that's solidified, making my lineup longer and more balanced. I love Freeman and what he brings to the team.

Jeff Samardjiza is the best tight end in baseball. He's also a pretty good pitcher. I save a year from Lester to Shark and get another righty, which helps since I have Sale and Hill already for lefties. I love Shark in San Fran and I hope that putting his weird year with the White Sox behind him helps his future projections. He had a bizarre middle of the year, but finished very strong in August and September/October. While I think Lester is stronger, I don't see a monster difference over a season.

The kids: Max Kepler is 23 and just posted an impressive MLB debut hitting 17 HR in 113 games while striking out about 20 percent of the time and walking about 10 percent of the time. At that rate for a lefty slugging right fielder, he's got a bright future. I think he's a very valuable asset as another young top prospect type. BP had him as the #60 prospect for 2016, BA had him at #30 and Sickels 39.

More help in the way of pitching came through Josh Staumont and Franklyn Kilome. Kilome I traded to Nick not that long ago to acquire Wade Davis, so I was happy to get him back. He comes with risk, uncertainty and massive upside. If it clicks, he could be a very good #3 starter with a plus curve, high 90s fastball and keep you honest change. Staumont profiles as a potential top of the rotation starter with easy and repeatable action and a triple digits fastball and a plus-plus curve. His change needs work. They could both be fireballing relievers or very good starters down the road. Either way, there's a lot to look forward to and these three good young players really helped improve my farm.

I also tossed Nick Luke Leftwich (so he had another Phillie) and Sam Coonrod, a starter in the Giants system.

This was a biggie and I gave up a lot of talent. But given the depth I had in place, I believe I have improved my lineup, which scored a league-high 850 runs in 2016. This lineup should give pitchers fits and I think I'll still have the pitching to be dangerous. Nick gets a lot of 2017 help, but yet again he has gotten a lot older. He's due for a World Series appearance against Freddie Freeman. Perhaps 2017 will be the year.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

132. Rich Hill, Max Kepler, Rangers Draft Pick 3 to New York (AL) for Sonny Gray, David Ortiz, Rafael de Paula, Luis 12-Torrens

David Ortiz retires an IBC Tiger! I finally got him! He's not un-retiring, though that would be pretty awesome, but I can at least hang onto him until February's draft in the hopes he makes a major announcement. But in reality, this deal was for Sonny Gray. This is the same Sonny Gray who was ace material before the 2016 debacle featuring career-worst numbers and two injuries. I would also say this is a trade of gambles.

Gray just turned 27 and until last year's struggles was considered a co-prize of the speculative off season trade market along with Chris Sale. Pre-2016, this isn't a trade that could be made given Gray's age and success. But he's now a potential liability. He was hurt last year; his ERA ballooned to 5.69 (though fip/xfip weren't horrendous) and he gave up home runs twice as often. All in all, a bad year. So, the question is whether he's forever damaged or due for a turnaround. I'm banking on the latter and I think I have the depth to take the gamble. I'm hoping for a 3.75 sim ERA projection with consistent k/bb rates and I'll be happy. My main concern will be him staying healthy all year. In addition, I got Rafael de Paula, a Padres reliever who somehow ended up with a 3.48 ERA projection with 76k in 64.2 IP and Luis Torrens, also a Padre and former Yankee who catches and finds himself 20 years old coming off a lost 2015 with a torn labrum but continued high marks for defense and eye at the plate.

In return, JB takes on his own gamble in Rich Hill. Rich Hill was amazing last year and I wish him well. He's also 37, which is older than me and I feel old. So, I think the odds of Hill lasting a whole season is slim, but I think his projection will be good and likely better than Gray's. JB also picked up Max Kepler, acquired from the Phillies last week. He's a young left-handed corner outfielder who had a very nice MLB debut last year. He's locked in in RF and I predict will get an above replacement level projection probably with good power, low average, decent OBP and fringe average defense. He'll have chances in Minnesota. JB also picked up the #61 pick, which wasn't something I wanted to lose, but also something that I didn't want to hold up the deal.

If all goes well, I'm looking at a 2017 rotation of Sale, Syndergaard, Gray, Roark, Samardzija with Alex Cobb and Edinson Volquez as insurance. Kepler wasn't likely to be an active roster player and I got a lot younger in the rotation, so I'm happy with the deal and the potential upside.
Last edited by Guardians on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

133. Rafael De Paula to Oakland for Jack Leathersich

I created Jack Leathersich in the system a few years ago after monitoring his high k rate at lower minor league levels. It took a couple seasons, but he started getting some attention despite coming out of Umass-Lowell, which rarely gets any baseball attention. He's definitely a little Rex Brothers-ish with monster K numbers (10.8/9 ip is his lowest mark as a pro) and walk numbers (would be happy to get 3 bb/9 ip out of him). He did have Tommy John surgery in 2015, but seems to have recovered and the Cubs snagged him on waivers. The Cubs aren't rich with lefties, so I could see him getting some time this year if he continues to hone his craft.
In return, Nils got Rafael De Paula, the first really desired ZiPS bidding player, whom JB got for $11. He's 26 in a few months and barely made it to AAA last year after giving up starting in 2015. With the Padres now, he should be able to maintain decent projections should he put up somewhat decent numbers in the minors and possibly majors in 2017. All in all, I get one of my children back and add to my lefty pen depth for a guy acquired just for added value in the Hill/Gray trade.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

134. Felipe Rivero to Arizona for Cole Tucker, Dbacks Draft Pick 3, Antonio Bastardo

Kind of an odd deal where I'm moving this-year help to get younger and deeper. With Brett Cecil as a clear No. 1 lefty out of the pen, Rivero was going to be my No. 2. With a 113 ERA+, I have Leathersich already, who projects to have a 110 ERA+. While Leathersich is a bit more wild than Rivero, I felt I had depth (along with Coulumbe and then Bastardo) to take the hit.

Rivero is young (25) and throws hard. He will end up being a back-end arm for the Pirates this year, so I can see why anyone would want him. With Herrera, Davis, Harris and Cecil already in closer/setup roles, Rivero was going to be an additional arm, but not a setup type. And after uncharacteristic poor splits last year, I had slight pause about how he would fair against lefties moving forward.

In return, I picked up a couple assets I liked. The talks started with a discussion of picks. Jag has many and was motivated to move. I don't love what may be available in the early part of the third round, but if a few guys I like are around, this will work out nicely. I had two first rounders and then nothing until the fourth round, so adding this pick will keep things interesting.

The piece I'm a little more excited about is Tucker. I originally drafted him in 2014 after he fell in the IBC draft. Tall and thin with a great glove and arm, the bat hasn't quite come around. He also had shoulder surgery last year. But recent scouting reports suggest evaluators see power potential developing as he continues to fill out. Being a big-bodied shortstop with a lefty bat sounds enticing (and familiar). I'm not sure Tucker will be a star, but scouts seem to think he can start. Bastardo was Jag's toss-in (it is cuts season after all, so I'm sure he wanted to save some effort there) and he may make it through for depth.

All in all, I like the return given the depth I already had. I picked up a solid team top 10 prospect and a fun lottery ticket to keep the draft interesting.
Last edited by Guardians on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

135. Hunter Pence, Luis Torrens to Los Angeles (NL) for Chris Devenski, Dawel Lugo, Pirates Draft Pick 1

Somehow I missed this write-up from Feb. 1, so apologies to Shawn. Of course, this was a painful trade for Shawn, as he constantly messages me about Chris Devenski's first two weeks of success. Shawn had no outfield other than Braun and I had sufficient depth, so I reached out.

My goal from the start was Devenski, hoping he would get a SP projection given last year's starts (he did not). But I genuinely think he's very good and he has been so far this year. But I wanted more for an every day starting outfielder. That's where the first round pick came in, which turned into Lazarito, so I'm very happy about it. This also gave me a cluster of first round picks, which helped me snag the players I was targeting. I also got Dawel Lugo, a 3B prospect who is short on ceiling, but ok on floor.

In return, Shawn gets some semblance of an outfield in Pence, a very good RF with power, some average and OBP. It means he's no longer starting Adam Walker and it adds protection for Braun and Seager in the middle of the lineup. I also added Luis Torrens, who, as a Rule 5 pick, is on the Padres' 25-man roster and getting sparing time. He's a great defensive catcher still learning to hit and he's only in his early 20s. He's probably in the same range as Lugo in terms of upside.

All in all, I think we'll both get productivity out of our players. I hope Devenski establishes that SP rating, which would boost his value. Also hope he can maintain that 18k/9 IP ratio. And I love Pence, as we share an alma mater, but I was able to move him given my roster makeup.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

136. Greg Allen, Rio Ruiz and Derek Law to Miami for Albert Almora and Alvaro Seijas

Like with most trades with Nils, this one involves a player he's already had and a player he's asked about consistently for weeks and/or months. In this case, Derek Law and Greg Allen, respectively.

Allen was the toughest sell here. I drafted him in 2014 after reading some encouraging reports on his batting and speed. While he's been a tad older for most leagues, he's been extremely consistent and is now getting the credit he deserves. He has plus speed, a great eye, good bat and good defense in CF and he's exactly the type of guy I like -- it takes others more time to come around before realizing he's pretty good. He maybe has enough power for 10 HR a year. Kind of a Tyler Naquin, who, ironically, he may replace. I like him a lot.

Law is another guy I like a lot. I acquired him this offseason from Nils and while he's battled injuries, I think he has back-end bullpen stuff. He had a great 2016 and while ZiPS is a little bearish compared to 2016 numbers, I think he's a good young reliever. Ruiz I'm a little on the fence on. I think he's got good raw power and can hit and take walks, but I don't know if it will be enough for 3B. He's a sturdy replacement, but I don't see him being a long-term fix.

In return, I picked up a better this-year piece and a wild card who could pay off. Albert Almora is considered a top 100 prospect and has the starting CF gig in Chicago this year. While both are considered LF, I think Almora has more of a profile to play in a corner, which gives him a little added value. Plus, he's a year younger and has a nearly 2-win projection. I think he's going to provide a very usable option this year and hopefully will be able to build upon his prospect status to gain some future value. If he could take a few more walks, that would be great.

Seijas is a 17-year-old in the Cardinals' system and while he's young and raw (and small), he's got some believers already. I've read several reports that he has breakout potential. He had a good pro debut in 2016, making it to the GCL as a 17-year-old and putting up a 3.06 ERA over 50 innings. He can ramp it up to the mid-90s as essentially a high school junior, so I like the upside.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

137. Edinson Volquez, Chris Betts and Tyler Krieger to Minnesota for David Phelps, Alfredo Rodriguez and Jordan Sheffield

I'm back! It's been a month since I've had anything to type in this space, but that's mainly because I wasn't pursuing many deals. And while I never like to help a rival, when Jason posted about needing SP, I figured I'd offer Volquez, who's set to be activated from the DL after having a blister. In a perfect world, I'd never have to use Volquez, who's probably at best a #4 SP on a good team. With a 4.22 ERA projection, he's not a bad guy to have around, but supposing Thor returns this year, he would be my 7th best starter. And with Devenski getting a projection as a starter, I could afford to lose him.

However, if I dealt him, I wanted to get a reliever back so if I have to move Devenski out of the pen, I have a replacement. That's where Phelps comes in. He's got a 3.50 ERA projection and a 51 percent GB rate, with VG/EX hold and range, so he's a nice piece to have. He had a strong 2016 and has started off poorly this year, but as a guy with five pitches who hits mid 90s with a fastball, I like him.

But I would rarely deal a starter for a reliever. Rodriguez and Sheffield were both guys I targeted in our last draft, so they were additional targets here. I had offered Chris Betts, a catching prospect I drafted in 2015 whom I've grown impatient with, and Leo Crawford, a young lefty in the Dodgers' system. Jason countered with a list of guys instead of Crawford and I chose Krieger, a 2b-only with good plate control, good speed and a tad of gap power. The deal was done relatively quickly.

The trade allows Gudim to have a rotation and allows me to bolster my pen and farm. Hopefully it will end up benefiting us both.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

138. Matt Wisler to Minnesota for Jhonny Peralta

Kind of a get-me-by deal here. Justin Turner hit the DL and Matt Duffy wasn't supposed to still be out, so I needed a reinforcement. I picked up Kelby Tomlinson out of free agency for depth, but wanted something slightly better. Peralta probably qualifies as "slightly better" in this instance. He's old, but if he can get me a .250 average with ok D, some productive ABs and no injury until Turner returns, I'll call this successful.
Wisler was recently acquired as a free agent and I still like him as a starter, though he's bounced between starting and relief. He recently turned out a solid AAA start, so perhaps he's back to being stretched out. He obviously has more upside than Peralta, but Peralta fills a need.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

139. Kennys Vargas to Tampa Bay for Shin-Soo Choo

Matt and I have been chatting for a few weeks about trade scenarios and while Choo doesn't move the needle too much, he's a nice player to have around. He'll get me a better DH than Markakis until Freeman's back and a serviceable corner OF, if needed. The biggest thing he brings is a left-handed bat. While he's not as good as his pre-Rangers days, he still can get on base and probably hit 15-20 HR, if healthy.

On the other side of the deal, Matt gets a young 1B in Vargas. He was a free agent pick up late last year and I figured he'd work out as a backup, switch-hitting power hitter. With Freeman and Turner down, he all of a sudden became a partial starter at DH. And while his projection is very close to Sano's in stats, he's unlikely to hit those marks in the sim this year. With Matt looking to unload Votto, Vargas looks like a decent bet to gain some ABs at 1B or DH. He started off hot in Minnesota, but cooled off in May. The K rate is quite strong. If he can repeat his typical BB rates, he'll look a lot better than he does at the moment.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

140. Dawel Lugo, Dylan Cozens, Josh Staumont to Tampa Bay for Andrew Miller

Some unfounded controversy on a deal where the main piece is a 32-year-old reliever. Granted, Miller is one of the best in the game and I hope he will help me going forward, but the potential future value of the three pieces I moved should far exceed what Miller will provide me. In fact, given how badly my relievers with top-notch projections have done, I hope Miller can help me in the way Herrera, Phelps and Harris have not so far this year.

Matt and I began talking about Miller several weeks back and we had talked about various pieces he liked, but he kept coming back to Cozens as a guy he wanted to get back and I can see why. In his first full season in AA last year, Cozens hit a paltry .276/.350/.591 with 40 HR, 125 RBI, 106 R and 21 SB. So far this year in his first year in AAA, he's just off the minor league lead with 18 HR, has 51 RBI and 44 R. No one will argue he doesn't have a lot of swing and miss in his game, but it's pretty tough to ignore all the other skills he brings to the table. There's a substantial list of major league players who have had long careers hitting home runs and striking out and most don't have 20-SB potential. I think Cozens could be a very valuable piece in the very short term, as zips already has him as a 20-HR player.

Piece number 2 in this deal is Staumont, whose similarities to Starting Pitcher Andrew Miller are striking. Miller was a first round pick and Staumont a second, but both are large pitchers with major strikeout potential and major wildness. Before Miller became a dominant reliever, he was a very wild starter. Staumont has a top of the grade fastball and curveball and he doesn't always know where it's going. This has led to some pretty poor numbers, particularly due to his last 4-5 starts in AAA. I think Staumont is either an erratic #3 starter or a lock down closer. If the latter, there's no doubt he has the stuff to dominate. Most lists have him as #1 or 2 in the KC system.

Another team top prospect, Lugo is a nice flier for Matt as one of the Dbacks' top 3 prospects. I see a little Martin Prado in him as a guy who doesn't take a ton of walks, but rarely strikes out, has a little power and can hit for average. Right now, he's hitting. 270 in AA after spending half a season there last year. He's got 7 HR, 34 R and 34 RBI. Over a season, maybe that becomes 12-16 HR and 65-70 RBI and with a .270-.280 average, which may play either as a utility guy or a second-tier starter. In the sim, those are valuable numbers.

All in all, there's no doubt I got the best player, but also the oldest by almost a decade. I think the three guys I gave up are going to be helpful for Matt in the short term since all are in AA or above. This removes some of the risk on his end and after moving some of his vets, he's got guys he can plug in this year and all are young enough to continue developing in the high minors over the next year or so.
Last edited by Guardians on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

You should run for office the way you're spinning this

Return to “Welcome to the Land”