Future Rockies

Nate Hunter's new blog.

Moderator: Rockies

Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Future Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Kind of the core of my roster going forward. An idea of where the org is heading..

C - Devin Mesoraco/Bruce Maxwell/Evan Gattis
1B - Jake Lamb/Greg Bird/Sam Travis
2B - Kolten Wong/Erik Gonzalez/Ildemaro Vargas
SS - Orlando Arcia/Erik Gonzalez/JJ Hardy
3B - Eugenio Suarez/Jake Lamb/Daniel Robertson
LF - Jesse Winker/Randal Grichuk
CF - Kyle Tucker/Randal Grichuk
RF - Domingo Santa/Randal Grichuk

SP - Carlos Rodon - lhp
SP - Michael Fulmer - rhp
SP - Jon Gray - rhp
SP - Brent Honeywell - rhp
SP - Chad Kuhl - rhp
SP - Joe Musgrove - rhp
SP - Sal Romano - rhp
SP - Cody Reed - lhp

RP - Jake Barrett
RP - Silvino Bracho
RP - Miguel Castro
RP - Jimmy Herget
RP - Zack Weiss
CL - Brandon Kintzler

Top Prospects:

Grant Holmes - SP
Sean Reid-Foley - SP
Trent Clark - OF
Jason Groome - SP
Taylor Trammell - OF
Mitch Keller - SP
Adonis Medina - SP
Last edited by Rockies on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Man it hurt to give up Arenado today... But we got a lot better overall, I think. Shored up a hole at 1b, added a legitimate replacement 3b, 2 top 40 prospects, and a 1st rounder that should be a top 10 pick.

The squad going forward is young and all on the cusp of MLB. Starters are in AAA or above next year, with the oldest looking like Devin Mesoraco.

Touki, Holmes, Honeywell, Musgrove, Cotton, Reid-F, and Overton is a pretty good stock of pitching talent on the way to supplement an improving rotation featuring notable young arms in Rodon, Alvarez & the Gonzalez/s/es..

But fuck, giving up Arenado stings.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Updated after the Marte trade.

More depth and potential high end talent added. Key word is potential. There's not much things you can assure in life other than death and taxes, but I'm pretty sure Marte wasn't the difference between winning and losing going into next year and beyond - and given the leaps that SD has taken with its offense, it was time to trade that chip in to get better all around. The team was in need of more arms and depth in the rotation, and I accomplished this task while cashing in on Blanco's career year, giving up a pen arm( a good one, but still a pen arm), what most view as a back end starter in Cooney(though I personally feel he can be a solid mid rotation workhorse for years to come) and a budding star in Marte.

On paper the rotation looks better as does the overall depth of the lineup. The team is young and has good offensive upside. It's oldest members are now Justin Morneau and Homer Bailey. Nearly everyone else is approaching prime years or younger. The pipeline of high upside pitching is still in tact. And I'm positioned for 2 picks in the top 12 this year.

It's unlikely this team wins anything of consequence in 2016, but I'm at a point where I can let this team grow for a year, or start cashing in some chips and churn a roster which I've done successfully in the past with the IBC Reds of lore.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Updated after the trade for Fulmer.

Fulmer is another solid arm to add as a potential rotation candidate. Makes his MLB debut today, so he's close. I really wanted to acquire another young, near ready arm for next year, since I've lost another year of development for Marco Gonzales due to TJ surgery. I'm pretty excited about the future of the rotation.

Henderson Alvarez is making his way back, and although it seems like he's been around forever, he's still just 25. Carlos Rodon. Aaron Blair. The emergence of Cody Reed. Overton on the horizon. Musgrove, Holmes, and Honeywell on the way. Reid-Foley and Toussaint, still honing their craft but immensely talented.

I can see a future rotation of Rodon, Alvarez, Reed, Fulmer, and Blair. If they live up to their talent, that should keep me in ballgames.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Things have changed quite a bit since my last update. I finally feel like I've got a pretty competitive lineup going into next year top to bottom. The middle infield has been a glaring weakness on my squad for the last year or two, and I feel that may finally be resolved with the additions of Arcia and Wong. I also have much better depth around the infield diamond.

The OF still looks like it should be fairly strong. Winker continues to have a high OBP and will likely be my starting LF going into next year. Kyle Tucker has been one of the best prospects in baseball this year, and I expect he'll receive a fairly good projection that I can use in CF where he's been playing most of the time in AA. Domingo Santana has broken out in a big way. Randal "I suck" Grichuk will be relegated to 4th OF territory.

The rotation is coming along. I'd still like to acquire another high upside arm, but Rodon/Fulmer/Gray/Honeywell makes for an intriguing top 4 and a handful of guys who are capable of filling the 5 spot.

The pen isn't bad on paper, but I probably need to shape it a bit more, make moves for guys with better defined roles. Don't really have a lefty, though Reed may wind up there eventually. The pen could be filled out by guys who don't quite make my starting 5.. Musgrove/Romano/etc.

Return to “5280: Mile High Reefer Madness”