Rate the draft above you..

Nate Hunter's new blog.

Moderator: Rockies

Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Rate the draft above you..

Post by Rockies »

Figured this might.. MIGHT be kinda fun.. And another way to pass some time as we draw down on the draft. Most folks have about 4 or 5 picks in. We can discuss. So, I will post my draft here.

On a John Sickles type letter grading system, rate the draft above your post/reply - talk about things you like, things you don't. Try to give an objective evaluation of the draft listed above your post. Here we go..

Pick 1.17 - 14-Toussaint, Touki
Pick 1.19 - 14-Rondon, Adrian
Pick 2.50 - 14-Honeywell, Brent
Pick 2.54 - 14-Reid-Foley, Sean
Pick 3.82 - 14-Travis, Sam
Pick 3.84 - 14-Reyes, Jomar
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I'll bite while watching some footy...and celebrating Tottenham's 3 points!

Grade for Nate: A-

I think all of Toussaint, Honeywell, Reid-Foley, Travis, and Reyes were terrific picks for when they were picked. No one would have argued Toussaint's present stuff and potential as a top 10 pick. The command lacks, but that can come with focus and repetition. He's an ace if it's just slightly above average. Honeywell and Reid-Foley were first round picks in most recent drafts. Travis may never develop the power, but tough to bet that bat doesn't get him to the pros. Reyes was a little fortunate with the news of the signing, but better to be lucky than good.

The reason this isn't a straight A or A+ is the pick of Rondon. A bit unfortunate BP's report was already out on him, because seeing an OFP of 7 and 'perennial all-star' severely overrated where he's at right now. I mean, you could have easily argued he wasn't the top J2 signing and he didn't get the biggest signing bonus. I'm all for potential, but even then, players like Harrison, Hill, Verdugo, and Gatewood, offensively, are better risks. On top of that, choosing him over high-potential arms like Adams, Flaherty, Freeland, Beede, Fedde, and Sheffield is borderline criminal. I think both Jimenez and Torres were better prospects and properly valued in the ~50 range. Rondon is a terrific talent, but he's a 2019-2020 player, has a long developmental process ahead of him. This wasn't the draft to take that risk...but it was an excellent draft nonetheless.

Who's taking me on?

Round 1, Pick 13: Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway HS
Round 2, Pick 35: Derek Hill, OF, Elk Grove HS
Round 2, Pick 42: Derek Fisher, OF, University of Virginia
Round 2, Pick 48: Jakson Reetz, C, Norris HS
Round 3, Pick 78: Joshua Morgan, 2b/ss, Orange Lutheran HS
Round 3, Pick 90: Jake Reed, rp, University of Oregon
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Nationals wrote:I'll bite while watching some footy...and celebrating Tottenham's 3 points!

Grade for Nate: A-

I think all of Toussaint, Honeywell, Reid-Foley, Travis, and Reyes were terrific picks for when they were picked. No one would have argued Toussaint's present stuff and potential as a top 10 pick. The command lacks, but that can come with focus and repetition. He's an ace if it's just slightly above average. Honeywell and Reid-Foley were first round picks in most recent drafts. Travis may never develop the power, but tough to bet that bat doesn't get him to the pros. Reyes was a little fortunate with the news of the signing, but better to be lucky than good.

The reason this isn't a straight A or A+ is the pick of Rondon. A bit unfortunate BP's report was already out on him, because seeing an OFP of 7 and 'perennial all-star' severely overrated where he's at right now. I mean, you could have easily argued he wasn't the top J2 signing and he didn't get the biggest signing bonus. I'm all for potential, but even then, players like Harrison, Hill, Verdugo, and Gatewood, offensively, are better risks. On top of that, choosing him over high-potential arms like Adams, Flaherty, Freeland, Beede, Fedde, and Sheffield is borderline criminal. I think both Jimenez and Torres were better prospects and properly valued in the ~50 range. Rondon is a terrific talent, but he's a 2019-2020 player, has a long developmental process ahead of him. This wasn't the draft to take that risk...but it was an excellent draft nonetheless.

Who's taking me on?

Round 1, Pick 13: Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway HS
Round 2, Pick 35: Derek Hill, OF, Elk Grove HS
Round 2, Pick 42: Derek Fisher, OF, University of Virginia
Round 2, Pick 48: Jakson Reetz, C, Norris HS
Round 3, Pick 78: Joshua Morgan, 2b/ss, Orange Lutheran HS
Round 3, Pick 90: Jake Reed, rp, University of Oregon
So here we go, what score does Brett get with his 6 picks...I am thinking a B+ and it could swing a 1/3 of a grade up or down.

Z definitely went for upside in this draft and it was amusing to chat back and forth about all the latin guys we both passed up to take 18 year old white boys instead.

Holmes I think is a solid pick, but I might have favored Freeland or Newcomb as a safer bet. I was definitely intriqued by Hill especially when i found out he was fighting an injury this summer, he has all the skills to play CF, if the bat comes along he has a 20/20 guy. Fisher is a solid hitter but out of all the OFs, he was probably ranked the lowest of them all for me, but then again he was the last to go.

Reetz was a fun pick and I might have even taken him if not for the last two catchers i have taken over the last two drafts. Obviously he had Vallot available to him with more power, but Reetz seemed like the more rounded player. Josh Morgan wasn't too high on my list, but when coming down into the 3rd round, finding guys with MI upside was getting a bit slim and so Morgan fits that need, he may or may not stick at SS, but if he does he is likely solid given his hit and power tool, if moved off the position he might have to play up the other skills a little more. Finally there is Jake Reed, a closer who should throw hard and end up in Z's pen in a year or two.

So now one of you can grade my draft.

1.9 Tyler Kolek
2.9 Michael Gettys
2.23 Ti'Quan Forbes
3.17 Garret Fulenchek
4.23 Cameron Varga
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

So now one of you can grade my draft.

1.9 Tyler Kolek
2.9 Michael Gettys
2.23 Ti'Quan Forbes
3.17 Garret Fulenchek
4.23 Cameron Varga
I give Stephen a solid B for this draft. He's got a lot of upside, some question marks and some guys who could be very good or flame out very well in the near future.

Kolek obviously has some people worried, because he fell quite a bit down the draft board. Certainly, the allure of Castillo and Tomas were factors, but reports of lower velocity and potential future arm issues scare some people. Not Stephen, though. He loves Tommy John surgery! Really, though, Kolek is a great value at #9. He's a huge Texas high school arm who hit triple digits in high school. That's pretty rare. So, to get him at #9 is a great value. Even if he does suffer an injury or did suffer an injury and requires additional time, he doesn't have the pressures of a college arm that really needs to be ready to prove himself in two years. Kolek is a nice pick.

Gettys in the early second was a nice snag, especially as outfielders were heading off the board quickly. Hill, Harrison, Davidson and Verdugo had just gone and Fisher soon followed. Gettys may have as good an upside as the bunch, as he profiles as a true CF, but with question marks about the bat. If he can hit enough to get by, he could turn into a solid starter down the line. If his bat struggles, he's probably a solid fourth outfielder.

Forbes is an interesting pick and, honestly, for where he went, a pretty good value. At 6'4, 177, he needs to either shrink or start eating raw eggs like Rocky for breakfast. He's got loud tools and he's one of the youngest players in the MLB draft, having turned 18 in August. Texas is usually pretty spot on with prospects, so this is a nice value.

Admittedly, I didn't know too much on Stephen's next two picks, but they are good value for where he got them. Fulenchek is a high school arm who hit 94 MPH and seems like a project, though he was drafted by Atlanta at the end of the 2nd round. He's got a heater/slider combo and is working on a changeup.

Varga, his last pick, is a 20-year-old high school kid who has a biceps injury in his recent past. Neither of those things bode well, but he was a 2nd round pick of the Rays, who took him ahead of a few more noteworthy players. That's a good sign. He project to have a plus curveball and average other pitches with average/above average control. Definitely a gamble in round 5, but a 2nd round pick is a nice gamble there.

#16 Bradley Zimmer
#23 Jacob Gatewood
#58 Cole Tucker
#76 Lazaro Leyva
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Honestly all I could think of with Kolek was Colt Griffin, cause that's the last high schooler I recall hitting 100 and that being the only thing the people said about him
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Cardinals wrote:Honestly all I could think of with Kolek was Colt Griffin, cause that's the last high schooler I recall hitting 100 and that being the only thing the people said about him
I don't know if Kolek will be any good, but he is a much better prospect than Colt Griffin was.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I got you Pat!

Zimmer - Historically the guy who takes an outfielder immediately me is pleased with that choice (the last 3 have been Springer, Puig, and McKinney), so that's a pretty good recommendation. Zimmer is just one of those guys who the more you see the more you like, he's got a pretty solid floor of being an average 4th OF, and if his bat plays up at all he's a first division CF, a guy I will probably regret passing on twice .

Gatewood - One of my early targets for those late 1st rounders, I had him behind the pitchers taken after him and in the ballpark with Monte Harrison, but Pat certainly wasn't getting him with his next pick so if he buys the power he had to act. High ceiling low floor, and I worry about his turning the tools into skills. I bet only one of Harrison and Gatewood works out, so I'm sure rooting for my guy in that spot!

Tucker - If Gatewood was a slight overdraft then this makes up for it. Tucker has huge upside and was super young (which I believe matters a ton for HS kids, please ignore Harrison's birthday), and he could be a stud. Also comes with quite a bit of risk, but you have to shoot for the moon once you get past the first 45 picks or so.

Lazaro Leyva - I don't know much at all about Leyva, but then neither does anyone else, maybe not even the Orioles when they signed him. Again, moon shot at this point though I would have ppreferred a few guys who went shortly there after.

Overall arbitrary grade: B/B+ worst case there's a solid 4th OF and nothing else, best case 3 solid bats in the lineup and a mystery arm.

12. Roberto "Keyser Soze" Baldoquin
15. Max Pentecost
28. Justus Sheffield (pre arrest)
30. Monte Harrison
45. Michael Kopech
61. Alex Blandino
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551

Return to “5280: Mile High Reefer Madness”