2018 Rockies Draft

Nate Hunter's new blog.

Moderator: Rockies

Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

2018 Rockies Draft

Post by Rockies »

1.12 - Jordan Groshans | SS | Blue Jays - BA's #89, TOR #5, GCL #5

Drafted #12 overall in MLB and #12 overall in the IBC, Groshans earns plus grades on his bat and his power. He shows a line drive, all fields approach and displays a quick bat with plus raw power. He probably won't stick at SS, making his future home likely 3B which should be fine given his above average arm. There's work to be done on the defensive side of his game, but he shows the tools and actions. I believe in the bat and I will bet on the defense improving.

1.20 - Xavier Edwards | SS | Padres - SD #21, AZL #4, NWL #4

Xavier Edwards is a kid who has average or better tools across the board. He has elite speed, plays above average defense at SS and has a good chance to stick there despite just an average arm. His tools play up it seems, due to his advanced understanding of the game. His debut across 2 levels was about as good as you could have asked for, showcasing bat to barrel ability and on base skills. The power may never be more than single digits HR a year at the ML level, but he can impact the game in a variety of other ways. He's got a solid floor and a high ceiling and I was very happy to land him at pick 20 in this draft.

2.42 - Ethan Hankins | RHP | Indians - CLE #10

To say I'm thrilled to land a prospect like Hankins 42 picks into this draft is an understatement. I had been considering him with my second pick in round 1, but thought he had a good chance to fall, and he did. His upside is that of a frontline starter and that was just something I couldn't pass up on midway through round 2. Yes he was injured going into the draft, and yes the stuff hadn't fully returned, but prep arms who can flirt with triple digits don't grow on trees. Hankins is listed at 6'6" and 200 lbs and is certainly an imposing figure on the mound. He has an 80 grade fastball with the secondaries lagging behind, typical for prep pitchers. But that FB is special in terms of velocity and life. The Indians are confident the shoulder issues are behind him, and his upside is very real if he can get back to 2017 form.

3.72 - Osiel Rodriguez | RHP | Yankees - NYY #16, #5 BA international, #7 Fangraphs international

Osiel Rodriguez represents a bit of a gamble here, but at this point in the draft I feel like things have thinned out a bit and I'm going to start to take some shots on upside. Rodriguez was one of the top pitchers in this years international class out of Cuba. He can reach the mid 90s with his fastball, flashes a plus slider, and has some feel for a change. Sounds like a lot of young pitchers, but Osiel is one of the hardest throwers in this international class and has an impressive combo of power and feel "beyond his years". Fangraphs states he has some of the "best raw stuff in the class, he has its highest ceiling."

3.86 - Tristan Beck | RHP | Braves - ATL #17

The Braves targeted Beck when he was a senior in High School before he made it clear he was going to college. That's when the Braves turned to Mike Siroka instead. So to have been on the Braves radar ahead of Siroka was enough for me to take a shot on Beck this late in the '18 draft. To say things didn't go smoothly in college for Beck may be a bit of an understatement. He missed his Sophomore year recovering from a stress fracture in his back. He had a nice junior season, but the concerns about his durability remain. His velocity and stuff fluctuates later in games - but at his best he has four average or better pitches. The Braves will be cautious with his innings and with another year behind the back injury, maybe his stuff will maintain itself a bit longer in games. Worth a shot here, on a potential quick mover who was so highly thought of that the Braves were going to take him over Siroka. And the Braves know pitching.

4.102 - Jayson Schroeder | RHP | Astros - HOU #19

Schroeder was one of only 2 HS players the Astros drafted in 2018, I believe. He was a 2nd rounder, 66th overall, and the best prep pitcher int he Northwest. He has a quick arm and an advanced feel for three pitches. He's already throwing harder since moving into pro ball, touching 97 over the summer in the GCL. The fastball has plenty of life, his change is developing, and according to reports he has one of the highest spin rates in the organization so I'm hopeful his curveball can be a plus pitch as he continues to develop. I really like what the Astros do with their pitching prospects, they seem to know how to develop them, especially helping to refine certain pitches, so I felt Schroeder was an intriguing player here this late in the draft. He looks to be a mid rotation guy, maybe a smidge more if I'm lucky.

5.132 - Bryce Bush | 3B/OF | White Sox - CHI #21, Pioneer League #19

This is a pure gamble, but I like the tools I'm gambling on this late. Bush was popped in the 33rd round by the ChiSox. He fell due to signability concerns, but the ChiSox lured him away by giving him their 6th highest bonus in their draft class. Bush has a bit of an unorthodox swing, but it produces some of the best pure bat speed in the entire '18 class, with lightening quick hands through the zone and above average power. He is a work in progress, but had a very strong debut in the AZL. After digging into him a bit more I read a few different places throw comps anywhere from Gary Sheffield to Eugenio Suarez. Now.. that may not be grounded in reality, and he's a long way off, but its fun to dream on and this late in the draft, why the hell not?

Return to “5280: Mile High Reefer Madness”