2015 Draft Recap

Stephen d'Esterhazy's blog.

Moderator: Athletics

Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

2015 Draft Recap

Post by Athletics »

I know this is a little late, sort of forgot about it, but doing it now and will provide the initial thoughts of the player prior to some of their disappointing first season results.

Tyler Kolek Team: Marlins Pos: RHP Age: 18 Draft Pick: #9

This isn't necessarily the guy I wanted, but it wasn't a guy I could really pass up on given how he lit up a radar gun. Tyler is a big boy and will definitely need some time to round into form to get all the moving parts working in the right direction to excelt and turn his 100 Mph FB into more than just that.

Pitching Ability: When you throw a 100 mph FB, ability sort of goes out the window and you just blaze it by high schoolers that look dazed and confused. This will have to change and secondary offerings are necessary and will take time to ensure that he can develop both a breaking ball and a change up to be a front line starter.

Best Case Scenario: If he can get two average offerings before his plus plus fastball and command them all he falls right into the top of the rotation starter most were expecting him to be.

Realistic Scenario: He finds the ability to throw the two other offerings but the command is spotty leaving the team in a conundrum of whether they want to keep him stretched out or send him to the pen to just play off the FB that even major league ballers would have trouble catching up to.

Worst Case Scenario: His FB loses velocity and his other offerings are spotty leaving him working one inning or middle relief as a power thrower.

ETA: 2019 as a SP, 2017/8 as a RP

Michael Gettys Team: Padres Pos: CF Age: 18 Draft Pick: #39

I am looking at Michael as an athlete that needs to learn how to hit, if he can learn to hit, the other tools will be able to shine, the speed and defense should never be a problem with his legs and arm.

Hitting Ability: This is a problem, he is a high school hitter but this is likely his weakest tool given his position, I am never expecting a ton of power but it would likely be adequate if he can put bat to ball at the major league level.

Defensive Ability: His legs and arm are a calling card for center field so there should never be a problem sticking at the spot if he makes it to the bigs.

Best Case Scenario: He has the chops to a 4-5 tool player at the big league level, so a defensive first athlete with 15/30 potential is there

Realistic Scenario: Questions about the bat may turn him into a second division starter where the defense plays like that of Pillar or Kiermaier.

Worst Case Scenario: If the bat fails, then he likely never makes it to the bigs no matter how good his speed or defense is, or if he does, he won't be up for long as we have seen with other center fielders that don't offer much pop.

ETA: 2019 as a CF.

Ti'Quan Forbes Team: Rangers Pos: CF Age: 18 Draft Pick: #53

Ti'Quan is another athlete that is bringing tools to the table, the problem will be he needs refinement to realize his potential ceiling which always takes time and the proper coaching.

Hitting Ability: He has a gap to gap line drive swing that should result in additional power down the line, but it is a swing to build off of and should not be something that holds him back.

Defensive Ability: Was a SS but with his size and frame might be a quick mover to the hot corner where his strong arm and quickness would be better suited.

Best Case Scenario: He comes through with the power and contact and turns into a great replacement for Adrian Beltre in a few years.

Realistic Scenario: Once again, more likely to be a second division start that doesn't have a ton of power but puts the ball into play and the defense is above average to make him a useful major leaguer.

Worst Case Scenario: If he outgrows 3B that could be an issue, but like Gettys, if the bat doesn't cooperate, than moving up through the ranks will be a struggle and I doubt he would generate enough power to be a consistent pinch hitter and util type.

ETA: 2019 as a 3B.

Garrett Fulenchek Team: Braves Pos: RHP Age: 18 Draft Pick: #77

Garrett is a blind dart throw, I was going with the upside he offered and not sure how it is going to turn out. He could be a #2 type if all falls into place or he could be stopped before he even touches AA.

Pitching Ability: He has a strong arm and shows signs of atleast a solid two pitch mix, obviously he will need more than just two pitches if neither are above average and command never rounds out.

Best Case Scenario: Like I said, if he can develop a solid three pitch mix with above average command for all three, he could succeed as a #2.

Realistic Scenario: He still needs to find all that stuff above, so if he can do any of that stuff for average, he falls into a back end guy that is still useful or maybe he can hone one thing really well and turn into a bullpen force.

Worst Case Scenario: The project fails and we never speak of him again in three years time.

ETA: 2020 as a SP, 2019 as a RP

Cameron Varga Team: Brewers Pos: RHP Age: 20 Draft Pick: #113

Kind of old for his class, but came from a cold weather state so I was throwing out another blind dart and hoping it would stick since he had a nice mix of stuff.

Pitching Ability: Sort of the same but in an older body than Garrett. The latest report was that he was maxing out on his delivery even after he put up the silly numbers in school, but hopefully the fastball/change works moving forward.

Best Case Scenario: Probably more of a #3-4 type start that can deceive some guys with the two pitch mix and adding in and third as a show me, but likely to be an innings eater.

Realistic Scenario: If he is already maxing out his delivery, he is probably more of a late inning reliever where he can just focus on a two pitch mix.

Worst Case Scenario: As always, just doesn't have the stuff to move up even as a pen arm and doesn't last that long in the system.

ETA: 2020 as a SP, 2019 as a RP
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

2016 Update:

Tyler Kolek: The man with the 100mph FB wasn't showing any of it this past season and he looked quite average. obviously young and time on his side as a 1st round pick, but the luster of TOR SP has come off.

Michael Gettys: Michael is doing everything right...except hitting which seems to be a common thing in my farm system save a few, guys that have plus tools in every area but the one that can keep them on the field.

Ti'Quan Forbes: Slide over to 3B, had a solid if not exciting year, young for his age and needs to make more contact, once again, has tools but needs to put them all to use.

Garrett Fulenchek: I threw the blind dart and I am not sure where it has landed with this kid as he didn't really impress all too much but I will give him another year to see if something more clicks.

Cameron Varga: This is a Rays project so he has time because they move slow and make sure they get the best out of everyone. His two pitches still project as plus but he was already a bit old coming out of high school. If he can build off of last year, I will take it.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW

Return to “Moneyball - Adapt or Die!”