2014 Draft Recap

Stephen d'Esterhazy's blog.

Moderator: Athletics

Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

2014 Draft Recap

Post by Athletics »

Fourth year, a little late on the review but I have been busy so whatever. Previous draft picks had a down year, but all are still young, except for Brett Jackson, he sucks, but everyone else I am still waiting on. I made some good moves to exchange bullpen dominance that I didn't need for higher draft picks and here is what I got out of all that which I think is pretty damn good.

Austin Meadows Team: Pirates Pos: OF Age: 18 Draft Pick: #7

So I originally had the 4th pick which I moved to the 5th, and then down to the 7th all with the idea of getting either Frazier or Meadows. I likely would have been screwed if Tanaka was not available for this draft, but then I was also hoping some other guys would have fell more. But this is the OF I really was excited to get since I am not sure just how my OF of the future is going to play out. Right now he is playing CF, but more than likely to shift to a corner, some reports say 1B, but he would have to bulk up and lose quite a bit of foot quickness (or the Pirates just have that awesome OF and Meadows gets blocked there (I hope not)). Other potential picks: See options at 8.

Hitting Ability: A left handed hitter who has shown decent power potential for the CF/LF position. Probably won't stay at CF, but if he goes to left has plenty of arm and range for that. The key to Meadows will be ensuring his long smooth swing doesn't have too many holes where older and higher level pitching can start getting him off balance. Still will take time to develop being young, but has potential to build up a good contact rate and solid power.

Defensive Ability: The kid is an athlete and has both the build and footwork to make it as a LF without having to move off the position. He also has plenty of arm so he will likely get plenty of OF assists.

Best Case Scenario: I would love to say Barry Bonds, but that isn't him. However, if he can stay at CF and hit with a high average (.320-.330) and get above 30 HRs that would be awesome.

Realistic Scenario: Likely going to move to a corner OF spot where he can keep the high average and get atleast 25-30 HRs per year.

Worst Case Scenario: The worst of the position moves would be to 1B where that bat would definitely have to play up for alot more power versus just a high average.

ETA: 2017 as CF/LF

Trey Ball Team: Red Sox Pos: RHP Age: 18 Draft Pick: #8

So ideally I wanted Kohl Stewart here, but he seemed to shoot up the draft boards as the two months prior to the draft occurred, but all was not lost in that Trey Ball, the coveted lefty I have been looking for in these drafts was left around. Of course he is quite young, his small size last season wasn't that great, but with that frame I am not too worried as there is enough to dream on. At this point I won't even ask him to be an Ace, but another solid #2 type is always appreciated given the other young pitching I have managed to develop through my system. Other potential picks: JP Crawford (I wasn't really high on the other other pitchers or the corner infielders)

Pitching Ability: He currently has a fastball sitting in the low to mid 90s that will likely increase as he adds muscle to his thin frame.may increase a little with pitching refinements. His secondary pitches need a little work just like the rest of his pitching, but he has time on his side and in a good Sox system, I believe that all things should come around.

Best Case Scenario: He runs his fastball up into the upper 90s, gets his curve ball to be plus and evolves his change up to be plus, then he will be a solid ace with his frame and dominating presence on the mound. So if all goes right he is another Ace in the making.

Realistic Scenario: The fastball hangs in the mid 90s, but the two secondary offerings never get to be plus. With that in mind, he still should be in that #2-3 range for a SP given what he already has going for him.

Worst Case Scenario: He can't get his mechanics to move all in the right directions at the proper time and ends up in the bullpen as a high leverage lefty. Not a bad thing, but not a great thing.

ETA: 2017/2018 as a SP

JP Crawford Team: Phillies Pos: SS Age: 18 Draft Pick: #20

I was a little surprised when JP lasted to the 20th pick, but not like I am going to complain when I thought of taking him in the top 10. He might not be a 5 tool kid, but he has solid defense and should be a lock to stay at SS, which is a huge hole for me at the moment since i have no idea what Villar or Story are going to become. Other potential picks: Ervin or Anderson

Hitting Ability: A left handed hitter who is solid at the plate but nothing flashy for the SS position. He still likely need to bulk up a little more so he doesn't look like a twig or rail, but that should only likely help add a little more power to the swing.

Defensive Ability: The kid is an athlete and has both the build and footwork to make it as a SS without having to move off the position. Now if he bulks up a bit too much, there is always the chance that he would have to shift, but as we have seen in recent years, big SS aren't as much of an oddity if they keep their range and enough agility to keep themselves from getting hurt.

Best Case Scenario: He is probably not going to be Jimmy Rollins, but I am looking for the solid hitting, defensively sound SS that ever team needs to work around. If the 4 tools he does have play up, then I like his chance for him to be an all-star here and there.

Realistic Scenario: Really I am just hoping for a solid hitting defensively minded SS that I can plug in the lineup for the next 10 years and not really have to think about. Of course it is dependent more on building up the muscle and keeping everything he has going for him in the right direction.

Worst Case Scenario: Bulks up too much that he looses some of his defensive prowess and has to shift to 2B. Obviously there he would need to hit more, but I think JP has a solid floor that unless he can't hit at all, he is going to be a presence of some sort, just a matter of is he a starting SS or defensive replacement IF.

ETA: 2017 as SS

Tim Anderson Team: WhiteSox Pos: SS Age: 20 Draft Pick: #23

I hoped I could get Ervin but he was snatched up, so I fell to my second choice in this position which is a versatile pick I think. Tim has a ton of speed which is always something I look for, but no one is sure whether he will stay at SS, CF, or 2B. I would like him to stay at one of the first two positions since I have more than enough Middle infielders default to 2B. Other potential picks: McMahon

Hitting Ability: A right handed hitter who is average at the plate but nothing flashy for the SS position. Power and contact are lacking but he is a kid that relies on getting the ball in play and using those speedy feet to get himself around. May be able to improve some things, but likely will never have a high average or monster power.

Defensive Ability: One of the few others in the draft besides Crawford who was expected to stay at SS, though given what the Sox want to do he may shift to CF because of his speed and lack of a flashy glove in the hole. This year will likely be more important to see how he can handle SS since he hasn't played the position all that long, but if not, speed will take him to CF where he can run around for ages.

Best Case Scenario: The best would be staying at SS where his bat doesn't have to be as key, but even in CF that won't matter as much if he is getting on base at a high clip to use his wheels. High note would be getting in the 50-60 SB range

Realistic Scenario: If he moves to CF he loses a little, but keeping up the average to get on base is the priority so he can steal those bases and score those runs from the top of the lineup. More likely to be in the 30-40 range.

Worst Case Scenario: Ends up as a super utility role where he plays to give people a break, but hits towards the bottom of the lineup. I would say he becomes like Emilio Bonafacio where people like some of the things he does, but not sufficient love to make him worthwhile.

ETA: 2017 as SS/CF

Alex Balog Team: Rockies Pos: RHP Age: 20 Draft Pick: #95

The last of my five picks in the top 100. I wasn't really sure where I wanted to go with right here since a few of the players I really wanted more disappeared in the prior 10 picks. But I am taking another chance with a Rockies pitcher. He has some above average pitches in his arsenal but nothing that is going to shock the world, but can't really ask for that in this round anyway. Nice large frame with a heavy fastball should help him in the Coors atmosphere. Other potential picks: Chris Koehler (maybe)

Pitching Ability: Nothing stands out, but with the large frame he has some natural deception in his delivery. He has four different pitches that all seem to be average or better, with the FB and SL standing out the most. If he can get the curve and change going as well, it will give him a good foundation to be a middle of the rotation starter.

Best Case Scenario: All the pitches play above their potential and gives him that solid mix of pitches to survive in Coors as a #2-3 SP.

Realistic Scenario: He will likely be told to nix one of the breaking pitches so he can focus on the better of the two, but the potential of being a start relies on his third pitch and if he can give a solid change p offering he should be a #4 with ease.

Worst Case Scenario: If he can only work off his FB/SL then he will likely end up in the pen where he can amp those two pitches up more and be a late inning guy, whether it be in the 8th or 9th.

ETA: 2017/2018 as a SP/RP
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Nice draft Stephen...
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

2015 Update:

Austin Meadows: Had some hammy issues to start the year but once up got rolling with a good average, power still not present.

Trey Ball: Definitely a project, had some highs, but mostly lows in being challeged at A ball...more to come.

JP Crawford: Sliced up A ball and got the promo to HiA where he continued to dominate, should be a future all star SS.

Tim Anderson: Look good on the hitting side and has the speed to play the position but the glove still needs some work, likely SS for ChiSox since they have nothing else, but could be a star type player anywhere up the middle.

Alex Balog: My one none first rounder, always worrying having a a Rockie prospect, but has the type of sinker that should play well, not sure if he lasts in the rotation or slides into the pen where the two pitch mix would play nicely.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

2016 Update:

Austin Meadows: Not sure where he lands exactly defensively, people have him ranging from CF which might be a press all the way to 1B. I will be happy if he plays all over because the bat is legit and yes, still waiting on more power.

Trey Ball: Got promoted, did good things and bad things...not sure why the Red Sox are pressing him and if it is good, but if he is still learning and not getting overwhelmed, probably all for the better...still needs 2-3 more years before it clicks or busts.

JP Crawford: If Philly wasn't horrible he is likely their start at SS on opening day, but no need to rush, he will get to work at AAA and supplant his claim in Philly by the end of 2016.

Tim Anderson: Much like JP, though maybe not quite as exciting, his defense could still use a little more work but the bat and legs play and will likely end 2016 as the ChiSox starting SS.

Alex Balog: Made solid improvements and the numbers look good so he likely sticks in the rotation as he works his way up the farm system.

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L

Return to “Moneyball - Adapt or Die!”