2013 Draft Recap

Stephen d'Esterhazy's blog.

Moderator: Athletics

Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

2013 Draft Recap

Post by Athletics »

So this is now my third year of partaking in the league and I did better...or other teams did worst so I didn't have a top 10 pick, but I think I have one more year of pain before my first round of draftees start making it into my lineup. This was quite the boring year for me regarding trades, though the early one I made of moving Lowrie for Chisenhall doesn't look too bad, both got hurt and were out the same amount of time. Now onto analyzing the picks.

Courtney Hawkins Team: White Sox Pos: OF Age: 18 Draft Pick: #12

So ideally I was hoping to get David Dahl here..b.ut the kid crushed too much after the draft and what can I say, made it into the top 10 where I was not this year. However, I got a great kid in Hawkins who might have been a top 10 pick himself if he had this past summer before he was drafed. The kid has a great set of tools and with the power potential has the ability to hold up in any of the OF positions. Of course, he is another 18 year old and a lot can happen over his developmental years, but as I continue to rebuild, I have time on my hands. Other potential picks: Fried

Hitting Ability: A right handed hitter who has shown great power potential for the RF position, and I doubt he is going to have to move given his strong arm. The key to Hawkins will be turning that free-swing into a slightly more refined approach so that he can both bomb balls out of the park but spray the ones one the edges of the zone to all fields rather than being a K and him in the dugout. Still will take time to develop being young, but has potential to build up a good contact rate.

Defensive Ability: The kid is an athlete and has both the build and footwork to make it as a RF without having to move off the position. He also has plenty of arm so he will likely get plenty of OF assists.

Best Case Scenario: He is probably not going to be Ken Griffey Jr., but I would be more than happy with a few swinging Vladmir Guerrero.

Realistic Scenario: Hard to call at this time. They have him playing CF but the shift to RF will likely occur as he gets a little older even with his natural speed. I am sure the Sox will keep him playing in CF until he gets blocked or outgrows the position.

Worst Case Scenario: The real problem is if that free swinging kid turns into a guy that can't make any contact...then I have a one hit wonder in Jeff Franceour.

ETA: 2016 as CF/RF

Carson Kelly Team: Cardinals Pos: 3B Age: 18 Draft Pick: #42

So this was a weird place to pick...I really wanted to have three picks right about for the guys still on the board, but I had one...so I took the Cardinal since I knew he wouldn't fall past the next two picks JP had and I still needed another high potential hitter. Therefore, we now have Carson Kelly as a member of the Angels. He is a kid out of the Pacific Northwest which means his numbers in school aren't spectacular, but he did both pitch and hit which reminds me alot of another 3B i have on my team who is two years older in Kaleb Cowart. I would like Kelly to progress along the same path and if so, I would have another quality 3B. Other potential picks: Lucas Sims

Hitting Ability: A right handed hitter who has shown a smooth swing and will naturally get some power from it which is nice if he had to move off the position and into the OF. He had a low K-rate...but also a low walk rate in his first year, since he was splitting time in high school between the box and the mound, I hope the batting eye improves since he already has a nice patience to not swing at the bad pitches. Being 17 when he was drafted, the kid has time to develop.

Defensive Ability: So this is the tricky part, he isn't the fastest of runners, but so far he has good footwork and some good instincts along with a great arm to play the position. Hopefully the Cardinals do not have to move him off the position since they will need a 3B for the future and I want Kelly to be their man.

Best Case Scenario: He ends up being power hitting 3B who has both a high slugging and on base percentage and a gold glove arm.

Realistic Scenario: I think the likely hood that he sticks at 3B is high since he will be more focused on the single position and will have plenty of time to develop. I think there will be some power but nothing monumental, but the batting eye should hold up and make him an average 3B in the long run. If he had to shift to the OF, he would definitely have to hinge more value on building up power to get his value to be the same given that he is a below average runner.

Worst Case Scenario: He moves to the OF and doesn't have the power or range to hold up, then he is merely relying on his arm and contact rate which isn't to say wouldn't work, but his value in my system would definitely drop.

ETA: 2016 as 3B/RF

Shane Watson Team: Phillies Pos: RHP Age: 18 Draft Pick: #72

It is always amusing to get to the third and wonder what guys are going to fall and which guys will get sniped right before. Ideally I was hoping the catcher I wanted would fall...but Brett P crushed that hope so I went with my next best alternative...a diabetic high schooler with a high upside. Obviously the diabetes is under control now and after his scare on the field, he should be raring to go this year after just a brief glimpse last year. Another reason for the pick was that pitchers seemed in short supply by this point and I was guessing some decent hitters would still be around in the 4th round. Other potential picks: Schotts, Alford, and Mujica

Pitching Ability: His best pitch is his curveball, which has both good speed and movement and his fastball is average to above, but will last deep into games. He has two other pitches, but they need work, though name a high-schooler outside of Dylan Bundy that had command over more than two. He has a great frame and with the health condition under control ,it should be interesting to see just what he can do this year.

Best Case Scenario: His fastball stays around the low to mid 90s and he develops a third pitch since his spike curveball will likely become his go to out pitch. With still some projection left in the frame and additional instruction, the possibility of a number 2 SP is in reach.

Realistic Scenario: He develops the change-up, fastball stays in the low 90s, the curveball remains his out pitch but nothing to dominate the competition so he is more of a middle rotation starter that can eat up 6-7 innings on a weekly basis.

Worst Case Scenario: He doesn't gain any speed or life on the fastball, the curveball is overused leading to less deception and his other pitches don't develop making him a late inning reliver.

ETA: 2016 as a SP

Nick Williams Team: Rangers Pos: OF Age: 18 Draft Pick: #102

So ideally I was hoping to get Anthony Alford here...but Boston snagged him about 15 picks earlier, though it wasn't too big of a loss considering the power potential this kid was packing and the fact he could have been a 2nd round pick in the MLB draft. The kid has a good set of tools and with the power potential has the ability to hold up in any of the OF positions. Of course I probably plan to treat him like Courtney Hawkins in that I can't expect him to be rushed as long as I am rebuilding, I have time on my hands. Other potential picks: Copeland/O'Brien

Hitting Ability: A left handed hitter who has shown great power potential for the LF/CF position without needing to move off the position. I am going to use a similar review to Hawkins in that if he can build up the contact rate, the sky is the limit since he other 4 tools are all above average.

Defensive Ability: He can play all over the OF but will likely be groomed in LF with maybe a touch of CF given that he doesn't have a rocket arm but good mobility nonetheless.

Best Case Scenario: Since I compared Hawkins to Griffey and Vlad, I will go with Nick not being Barry Bonds, but maybe a Josh Hamilton without the drug abuse and tarnishing of his developmental years.

Realistic Scenario: Hard to call at this time. They will have him in LF, but I am just looking for good power, good defense, and maybe a well rounded big leaguer that cannot be any worse than Brett Jackson for me right now.

Worst Case Scenario: Free swinger with big time power that cannot make any contact consistently means a pinch hitter at best if he has some wheels, but no guarantees to get to the majors that way.

ETA: 2016 as LF/CF

Jose Castillo Team: Rays Pos: LHP Age: 16 Draft Pick: #132

By this point in the draft I was feeling pretty good, got a RF of the future, another 3B to fall back upon, a toss up SP, and a LF that could be just as good as the RF I selected, so all I needed now was a younger SP. SInce they only make high school grads so young, I turned to the international market and found the number one lefty to sign. Since JP took the righty Jose, I decided to go with the lefty version of the Rays future dynamic duo of Joses. I really have no idea what to expect from him, but he is tall, lanky, throws hard from the left side and has two pitches which is good enough for me as a 16 year old. Other potential picks: Nay

Pitching Ability: His best pitch is his fastball which was sitting in the low 90s, but for a kid his age he might add more than a couple of ticks and from the left side that is enough to become a top of the rotation starter, especially if he can improve upon the already good feel he has for a change up. With the inclusion of an above average breaking he has all the makings of being a high end starter, though it may take 5 years to reach that point.

Best Case Scenario: His fastball jumps into the mid 90s and he gets to plus with his changeup and above average with his curveball. With still some projection left in the frame and additional instruction, the possibility of a number 2 SP is in reach...even if it isn't until 2018

Realistic Scenario: He develops the change-up, fastball stays in the low 90s, but the curveball never becomes anything worthwhile, which would cause him to likely be more of a back end starter that can eat up innings based upon the first two pitches.

Worst Case Scenario: He only has the fastball and maybe develops the changeup more but nothing else, leaving him as a two pitch guy, with that he would likely end up as a LOOGY or late innings guy if he can have some good deception against both sides of the plate.

ETA: 2017 as a SP
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

2014 Update:

Courtney Hawkins: Well he showed he could be a threat with the bat when he made contact...too bad he couldn't hit above the Mendoza line for most of the season. The other tools still look good, just got crushed by the older competition, hopefully the struggles help him this year when repeating the league.

Carson Kelly: He too was crushed early by the advanced assignment, got sent down a level and seemed to settle in. Arm and defense looked good, but the Cards are going to try him out at Catcher, so not sure what is going to happen now.

Shane Watson: Didn't pitch much...needed to work on the mechanics, now is potentially a candidate for shoulder surgery...was hoping to hear good news, but maybe that will come this year.

Nick Williams: A nice bright spot after the first three picks from the class got rocked. He did well to show off his power, hit and arm abilities. Unfortunately he might be a little slow as he fills out relegating him to left or first base, I won't complain since he was a 4th round pick.

Jose Castillo: Kid is quite young, but performed like a beast, now I just need 4 more years like this and he can become another Ace of the Rays...so long to wait though.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

2015 Update:

Courtney Hawkins: Dropped the K-rate a little and felt more at home, still showing monster power when bat gets on ball, needs to continue to work on plate discipline but should continue to move along and likely is up with the White Sox in two years.

Carson Kelly: Bat is lacking, but with the move to catcher and being tutored by Yadi for defense, I can see this still being another 3 year project but well worth it if he is the next yadi in the cards system, the kid seems to soak knowledge like a sponge.

Shane Watson: Hurt and then suspended for second drug abuse violation, likely to be cut.

Nick Williams: Still has a ways to go, but made it to AA with good power and a nice stroke, defense has been solid, hopefully he can handle the better pitching at higher levels given the k-rate, but quite a nice steal from the 4th round.

Jose Castillo: Was injured this year so didn't get much work in, hope to see him in lowA this year and maybe up to HiA if he gets in enough work this winter. Still a project and likely 3 years away.

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

2016 Update:

Courtney Hawkins: Still doesn't make enough contact yet still has amazing power when he does, got hurt to end the year, believe this is his make or break year as he will be at AA for the third time.

Carson Kelly: Improved through the second half and the glove is definitely coming along nicely, might only be a defensive backup, but if the hitting is average that still plays

Shane Watson: Cut.

Nick Williams: Moved to Philly but probably ends up in their OF to end the season, looking like my best pick of this draft class.

Jose Castillo: Young Latin prospects take forever, not sure what to make of him at this point, probably has a two pitch mix for the pen, needs a third for the rotation.

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L

Return to “Moneyball - Adapt or Die!”