Adapt or Die

Stephen d'Esterhazy's blog.

Moderator: Athletics

Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Adapt or Die

Post by Athletics »

Well I gave it a good run in Anaheim, but like every good team, sometimes change is needed, especially since I wasn't seeing any Angels in the outfield.

First evaluation was me, given that I'm the owner and coach I am not going to fire myself. (Shut it Pat!). The strategy has been solid, but execution and health has been lacking.

So next I looked at player development, but the catch there is now that I have won the division four times, those prime 1st round picks are no longer a thing. The FA wire is always interesting but my best luck is usually swooping up solid 7-8th inning guys and unless they become a 140+ERA RP, their value is limited except for trade filler.

Now how about trading for talent, well I have tried a few times, but as G, Z, and a few others can tell you, I am a stubborn mule and covet certain players, so that rarely goes far unless I'm trading around the edges...save for me giving up Hayes, Meadows, and Buttery for a screwed up Puig and a questionable Eovaldi who I thought would project well (good luck Dave).

So since the first three options don't seem to work, why not try out option four, if I can't build the team to suit my park, try reverse engineering it. I believe over the last 4 or 5 years I have had an above average record there and given that until this past year, Jag was a playoff contender it can't hurt me in terms of maintaining my playoff presence.

Now of course I would still like to make a few tweaks, but canvassing the league, I feel like the haves and have nots have reached the extremes and without a 2020 minor league season the non top 50-100 prospect pool is in question, so the trade market might be as cold as the MLB free agent market.

Therefore, death to the Rally Monkey, long live Moneyball 2.0!
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW

Return to “Moneyball - Adapt or Die!”