Braves Down the Road . . .

Brandon Brown's Blog

Moderator: Braves

Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Braves Down the Road . . .

Post by Braves »

Just a look at who may eventually make the big club. Not the kind of depth I've been used to but still a couple intriguing pieces. Just a few exerts from Sickels since there free. . .

1. Austin Hedges, C, Grade B+: Outstanding reviews for his defense in Low-A, and he showed a lot more power than expected. Catchers have unusual development curves sometimes so it will be interesting to see how this works out at higher levels, but he's emerged as one of the top backstop prospects in the game.

2. Henry Owens, LHP, Grade B: He's got some issues, needs to get the walks down for example, but the 4.87 ERA overstates his troubles. I like his physicality, size, delivery, and I think the command will improve.

3. Sonny Gray, RHP, Grade B: Erratic in Double-A, but I still see him as a guy who can develop into at least an inning-eater, or failing that a closer.

4. Tyrell Jenkins, RHP, Grade B-: His upside is as high as the guys above him, but injuries and command problems short-circuited him in Low-A. Disappointing, but the talent is still here.

5. Nomar Mazara, OF, Grade B-: Bonus baby held his own in AZL at age 17. Also has strikeout issues. Star potential if he can refine it, could move 10 spots up on this list with a strong '13 showing.

6. Brandon Nimmo, OF, Grade B-: Very patient, showed some pop in the New York-Penn League, but his athleticism and speed weren't as good as advertised. Will need more power if he has to move to an outfield corner.

7. John Lamb, LHP, Grade B-: I'm always careful with Tommy John grades, since the recovery is not as automatic as people think. Retains mid-rotation upside if health allows.

8. Luke Bard, RHP, Grade B-: Impressive fastball/slider combination. Bard and Melotakis have the most complete packages of the large group of relievers the Twins drafted in '12.

Return to “The Brave Blue Ballers”