2013 Brewers Top 10

Ben Montgomery's blog. Ben finished his IBC career (2009-'13) with a 331-432 (.434) record and no playoff appearances.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

2013 Brewers Top 10

Post by Brewers »

Top 10 Prospects

1. SP - Kyle Zimmer (B+, BP:High 6, KCR:2)
2. SP - Robert Stephenson (B+, CIN:2)
3. SP - Roberto Osuna (B+, 6, TOR:6)
4. SS - Deven Marrero (B-, BOS:10)
5. 3B - Richie Shaffer (B, TBR:5)
6. SP - Sean Gilmartin (B-, ATL:4)
7. 2B - Joe Panik (B-)
8. SP - Matt Smoral (B-, 6)
9. SP - Sam Selman (B-, KCR:8)
10. OF - Tyler Collins (B-, DET:7)

Top 10 Under 25

1. Stephen Strasburg
2. Wilin Rosario
3. Kyle Zimmer
4. A.J. Griffin
5. Robert Stephenson
6. Drew Smyly
7. Roberto Osuna
8. Deven Marrero
9. Richie Shaffer
10. Sean Gilmartin

Projected 2017 Lineup

C- Wilin Rosario
1B - Matt Carpenter
2B - Joe Panik
3B - Richie Shaffer
SS - Deven Marrero
LF - Martin Prado
CF - Dexter Fowler
RF - Tyler Collins

SP - Stephen Strasburg
SP - Johnny Cueto
SP - Kyle Zimmer
SP - A.J. Griffin
SP - Ross Detwiler

CP - David Hernandez
[/b]
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Farm According to John Sickles:

1) Kyle Zimmer, RHP, Grade B+: Borderline B due to the bone chip surgery. If healthy, a definite B+ due to combination of command, stuff, and early performance.

2) Robert Stephenson, RHP; Grade B+: Looks like a future number two starter to me, with plus fastball, good changeup and curveball. Command slipped some at Dayton but not a big flaw at this stage in his career. It will be interesting to see how he handles a larger workload.

3) Roberto Osuna, RHP, Grade B+: I like his delivery, I like his stuff, his control isn't bad, and he performed well out of the gate. Not classically projectable due to mature body at age 18, but he already has enough stuff to succeed if the command is there.

4) Richie Shaffer, 3B, Grade B: One of my favorite bats in the 2012 draft, refined college hitter with good power and plate discipline. Defense at third base is underrated in my view, though of course he's blocked by Evan Longoria in this organization. Should hit enough to play first base or right field.

5) Deven Marrero, SS, Grade B-: Very good defense and patient at the plate, could develop some doubles power. I don't see him as a star but he has a chance to be a solid regular or a really good utility

6) Sean Gilmartin, LHP, Grade B-: Solid command guy but upside is relatively limited and I also see him as a number four starter. But that's not an insult. Will be ready sooner than Spruill.

7) Joe Panik, SS, Grade B-: He wasn't terrific at San Jose and the grade drops one notch from last year's B, but I still like his instincts, makeup, contact skills, and chances to adapt at higher levels.

8) Matt Smoral, LHP, Grade B-: Big lefty from the 2012 draft, possibly a steal in the supplemental round though we haven't seen him pitch yet due to the broken foot that knocked his stock down. Power southpaw with impressive fastball and slider potential.

9) Sam Selman, LHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. I want to see him outside the Pioneer League before going higher, but he racked up strikeouts and ground balls while generating better-than-expected scouting reports, given his inconsistent college record.

10) Tyler Collins, OF, Grade B-: Tweener type, hit .290/.371/.429 in High-A with 20 steals. Sound plate discipline, makes contact, gap power. May be a fourth outfielder or platoon bat, but a good one.

11) Tyrone Taylor, OF, Grade B-: Second round pick has excellent tools and showed more polish than expected in rookie ball, has a chance to hit for power and average and steal bases as an across-the-board threat.

12) Anthony Meo, RHP, Grade B-: Had occasional command troubles in California League but whiffed 153 in 140 innings, very good fastball but still working on breaking ball command. A starter thus far but many scouts still see him as a reliever due to size and high-effort delivery.

13) Michael Tonkin, RHP, Grade C+: Another relief prospect whiffed 97 in just 69 innings in A-ball this year due to improved command of 92-95 MPH fastball and nasty slider. Pitching well in Arizona Fall League.

14) Paco Rodriguez, LHP, Grade C+: First 2012 draftee to make the majors and could stay there for the next decade or longer as a terrific LOOGY/short man. Extremely deceptive and has the potential to close games if his command against right-handed hitters stays sharp enough.

15) Edward Salcedo, 3B, Grade C+: Would rank higher on pure tools, but continues to hamper himself with a poor approach at the plate. Arizona Fall League scouts noted indifferent effort on defense and generally weak instincts all-around. Young enough to improve substantially but there is a lot of work to do.

16) Elier Hernandez, OF, Grade C+: Big bonus guy from the Dominican was terrible in the Pioneer League, but was just 17 years old. Hit zero homers despite bat speed/raw power. Way too soon to give up.

Return to “The Home Brew”