2012 Brewers Amateur Draft - Please Review

Ben Montgomery's blog. Ben finished his IBC career (2009-'13) with a 331-432 (.434) record and no playoff appearances.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

2012 Brewers Amateur Draft - Please Review

Post by Brewers »

I have decided to share my draft thoughts to stir up some baseball talk. Coming into this draft, I knew it was a deep draft so I decided to deal my first pick (1.16) for 2.14, 2.19, 3.1, and Joe Smith.

The Picks: (John Sickles Grade)

Pick 44: Sean Gilmartin (B)
Pick 46: Joe Panik (B)
Pick 49: Elier Hernandez (B-)
Pick 61: Roberto Osuna (C+)
Pick 76: Jason Esposito (B-)
Pick 106: Tyler Collins (B-)
Pick 110: Tyler Gibson (C+)

Pick 44:

The Board: Sean Gilmartin, Joe Panik, Levi Michael, Dillon Maples, Elier Hernandez, Nomar Mazara, Anthony Meo, Nick Delmonico, Jackie Bradley, Andrew Susac

The Pick: GILMARTIN - Knowing that I was going to be taking more picks this year, I wanted to snag some guys who would be ready to produce when they lost draft status in two years. Preparing my board about 10 picks out, I was salivating over Meyer, Hedges, Story, Ross, and Spangenberg. My board kind of blew up and I had to resort to the next level. I was really hoping to grab a Story or Hedges here when I made the trade. Gilmartin is a guy who I like as someone who can step in and be a 3-4 pitcher for a few years for me. I like that he is going to be developed by the ATL developmental staff. I am not in love with this pick, but I thought it represented a type of value at this point in the draft.

Pick 46:

The Board: Joe Panik, Levi Michael, Dillon Maples, Elier Hernandez, Nomar Mazara, Anthony Meo, Nick Delmonico, Jackie Bradley, Andrew Susac

The Pick: PANIK - This was a straight toss up between Michael and Panik. I was hoping to grab a middle infield bat in the draft and when Story was gone I tabbed these two. I like that Panik is coming up in an organization that doesn't have a lot of road blocks for middle infielders. I also like his AFL experience already. Pretty happy with this pick here, but it is contingent on grabbing a couple more of these guys.

Pick 49:

The Board: Dillon Maples, Elier Hernandez, Anthony Meo, Nick Delmonico, Jackie Bradley, Andrew Susac

The Pick: HERNANDEZ - When I came into this draft, I was thinking that I would end up with one of the three big foreign bats. I actually chose Hernandez in another league over the other two, so it was an easy choice when he was the one left. Part of me was willing to peg him up at 44. I was feeling like my draft was a little too cautious. I wanted at least one lottery ticket in this draft. I really liked his swing a lot better on tape than the two Texas kids.

Pick 61:

The Board: EMPTY - AHHHHH!

The Next Board: Larry Greene, Hudson Boyd, Jason Esposito, Alex Dickerson, Josh Osich, Tyler Collins, Tyler Gibson

The Pick: ROBERTO OSUNA - Panic time! I was sure with three picks to go that I was going to get Delmonico or Meo. I almost grabbed Esposito out of panic. I flirted with Greene. I was ready to click on Boyd when I decided to do some research. I ended up finding Osuna and decided that with a free pick that i wanted to take something with higher upside. I don't know if I love this pick, but he does have a chance to have a 70 or better fastball which will at least earn you bullpen work.

Pick 76:

The Board: Hudson Boyd, Jason Esposito, Alex Dickerson, Josh Osich, Tyler Collins, Tyler Gibson

The Pick: ESPOSITO - Every year I fall in love with one pick who is an athlete or plays good defense and I decided that watching his swing he will hit. Esposito was this year. I really wanted him and was ready to snag him as high as 49 under my original draft plan. This was an easy pick and I love it this late. The casual observer can probably find something wrong with it.

Pick 106:

The Board: Tyler Collins, Tyler Gibson

The Pick: COLLINS - This was always going to be Collins's spot unless I made a decision to pick Gibson before him. It is an irrational hometown pick, but I like the season Collins put up and will cheer him to the majors like I did when Granderson was coming up and people doubted his ability to keep hitting. I think it was decent value here.

Pick 110:

The Board: Tyler Gibson

The Pick: GIBSON - This was always going to Gibson. He was the one high upside player that the Tigers took last year and the system is starving for bats. This was another hometown pick that I like.

The Trade:

The trade ended up being C.J. Cron for Sean Gilmartin, Elier Hernandez, Roberto Osuna, and Joe Smith. I probably take Gray or Martin if I pick 16th, so I am happy with the return that i got on the pick. This trade is a slam dunk for me if I land Meo or Delmonico over Osuna.

Overall...I give myself an uninspiring B- for this draft. I think it will provide a couple of contributors to my team and a chance to land a real impact maker late. If Esposito can hit or one of the foreign FA develops then obviously this grade could shoot way up.

Feel free to comment on an individual pick, the trade, or the draft as a whole.

Return to “The Home Brew”