2009 Trade Review

Ben Montgomery's blog. Ben finished his IBC career (2009-'13) with a 331-432 (.434) record and no playoff appearances.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

2009 Trade Review

Post by Brewers »

2009 Trades:

Joel Hanrahan for Skip Schumaker

Will Ohman, Ron Villone for Chorye Spoone, Jake Smolinski

Chad Durbin, Justin Jackson for Wilfredo Boscan, Jacob Odorizzi

A.J. Pierzynski for Charles Blackmon

Adrian Gonzalez, Brian Tallet for Miguel Montero, Johnny Cueto, Cale Iorg

Matt Albers for Ronny Cedeno

Rocco Baldelli for Wilin Rosario, Josh Anderson

Corey Hart, Aki Iwamura, Ronny Cedeno for Franklin Morales, Greg Halman, Kyle Lotzkar

Brett Gardner for Aaron Heilman

Nate McLouth for Michael Taylor, Ben Revere

Aaron Heilman for Randall Delgado

I am going to do these as I have time to look over them. It is interesting to see how they look at the end of the year.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 1

Joel Hanrahan for Skip Schumaker

Skip has been a personal favorite since the first day I saw him in a spring training game 5 years ago or more. He is my David Eckstein-ish gritty guy.

Joel Hanrahan:

IBC: 3-1, 4.45 ERA in 54 IP
MLB: WAS - 7.71 ERA in 32 IP, PIT - 1.72 ERA in 31 IP
-1.7 VORP

Skip Schumaker

MLB: .303/.364/.393 with a .320/.384/.428 vs. RHP
22.8 VORP

Hanrahan filled a void in the bullpen for the Royals this year, but going forward (which all my deals will be evaluated on due to my goals) Schumaker is a much more valuable property, expecially with a decent defensive rating. It is hard to grade a trade that deals with performance now vs. future.

Brewer Grade: B+

We lost nothing for next year and picked up a decent possible middle infield bat. This grade could change slightly if Hanrahan continues his PIT numbers.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 2

Will Ohman, Ron Villone for Chorye Spoone, Jake Smolinski

I read my team as not being able to compete with the big dogs in the division so the bullpen was the first thing to go while it was worth the most. I may have swung and missed badly on this one. Smolinski is another one of my guys and this came shortly after he was traded to FLA.

Will Ohman:

IBC: 3-0, 1.00 ERA in 9 IP (injury)
MLB: 5.84 ERA in 12 IP (shoulder injury)

Ron Villone:

IBC: 3-0, 1.71 ERA in 21 IP
MLB: 4.25 ERA in 48.2 IP

for

Chorye Spoone:

MILB: 9.42 ERA in 19 IP (released)

Jake Smolinski:

MILB: .283/.379/.448 (A) (moved from 2B to 3B)

I don't mind losing the reliever production, but I probably didn't leverage these guys into much value in the end. Smolinski is OK, but he is sliding down the defensive spectrum and doesn't have the bat to hold it. Ohman blew up so I may have ended up releasing him, but Villone may have fetched me more. I hate to fail myself on any grade where the thing I gave up was middle reliever, but this one is close.

Brewer Grade: C
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 2

Chad Durbin, Justin Jackson for Wilfredo Boscan, Jacob Odorizzi

Boscan and Odorizzi were two arms I loved. This was a deal that made me do a flip after completing it. How does it look now?

Chad Durbin:

IBC: 5-2, 3.91 ERA in 69 IP
MLB: 4.39 ERA in 69.2 IP

Justin Jackson:

MILB: .213/.320/.269 (A+)

Wilfredo Boscan

MILB: 3.59 ERA, 1.16 WHIP in 105.1 IP (A)

Jacob Odorizzi

MILB: 4.40 ERA, 1.36 WHIP in 47 IP (R)

Durbin was definitely a force in the Philly pen and he remains useful for next year. You have to have relievers like that. Jackson is a constant tease, he has the tools, but will he ever translate them.

Boscan and Odorizzi both had some highs and lows. Boscan looked good for most of the year, but his K-rate fell off dramatically although he is only 19. Odorizzi had a great K/BB rate, but was fairly hittable. Both pitchers are extremely young and have good arms. This one will take a while to know the final tole.

Brewer Grade: A

With six months in the rear view mirror, this one looks real good. Boscan would make more noise in a shallower farm, while Odorizzi made one of BA's top 20 lists. I like these arms going forward, and consider this one of my better early deals.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 4

A.J. Pierzynski for Charles Blackmon

I hate A.J. I may have released him if someone wouldn't have given me something for him. This trade was bad, but I couldn't stomach owning the guy.

A.J. P)(*$#)*ski:

IBC: .272/.319/.401
MLB: .300/.331/.425
VORP: 22.0

Charles Blackmon:

MILB: .307/.369/.433 (A+)

This one doesn't take a ton of analysis. The Brewers lost this deal. The only bright light is that Blackmon did play CF all year and had a good walk rate and stole some bases. He has a ton of tools, but he isn't looking like anything more then a reserve OF to me. I guess it is better then dropping him, but I hope this is one of the worst trades on my record.

Brewer Grade: F
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 4

Adrian Gonzalez, Brian Tallet for Miguel Montero, Johnny Cueto, Cale Iorg

This deal was the final signal that it was off to the Strasburg sweepstakes. I questioned myself many times, but I was a huge Montero guy and a bigger Cueto guy. The first half of the season looked like Cueto was going to make the deal look great, then it looked like Montero would. This one will definitely be a milestone moment for the IBC Brewers.

Adrian Gonzalez:

IBC: .315/.402/.570
MLB: .277/.407/.551
VORP: 57.3

Brian Tallet:

IBC: 6-3, 3.56 ERA in 48 IP
MLB: 5.32 ERA in 160.2 IP
VORP: 6.6 VORP

Miguel Montero:

MLB: .294/.355/.478
VORP: 27.8

Johnny Cueto:

MLB: 4.44 ERA in 171.1 IP
VORP: 16.2

Cale Iorg:

MILB: .224/.276/.339 (AA)

It is impossible to truly replace a hitter as good as Gonzalez was this year. To do what he did in PETCO is amazing. I would love to be penciling his name into my lineup every day. I had to choose between him and Teixeira in one league last year and I took Gonzalez because he was a few years younger and Teix was fetch more in trade. That looks pretty smart now...back to the trade...Montero finally was given a chance to play full time and exploded into one of the most dangerous hitters on the D'Backs. Montero gives me an anchor at one of the hardest positions to fill. I love Cueto. His number would look so much better if he hadn't tried to pitch through an illness. He will never be perfect for GAB, but I think he is a fine pitcher, especially if he can escape Cincy and Dusty Baker. Iorg and Tallet are inconsequential to this deal.

Would I do this deal again? Probably. I think I would because I love Cueto, but this isn't a slam dunk win.

Brewer Grade: B

I love the pieces that I got, but I recognize how valuable Gonzalez would be. It will be interesting to see how this looks in another 12 months.
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

That's it for tonight! It was fun to look back and see how my roster ended up the way it did. Time to build it back up. My goal for next year is 71 wins.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Brewers wrote:I hate A.J. I may have released him if someone wouldn't have given me something for him. This trade was bad, but I couldn't stomach owning the guy.
Damn ... wish I had known that!
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

Matt Albers for Ronny Cedeno

This was another minor deal for a reliever.

Matt Albers
IBC: 0-0, 5.75 ERA in 21 IP
MLB: 3-6, 5.51 ERA in 67 IP

Ronny Cedeno
MLB: .208/.256/.337

There isn't a lot of commentary on this one as both players are headed for the waiver wire at the end of the season. I think Cedeno's versatility and defense give him the edge, but I flipped him a couple weeks later. I like this deal, because Albers didn't do much either place.

Brewer Grade: B
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 10: Rocco Baldelli for Wilin Rosario, Josh Anderson

There wasn't a reason to keep a player who I saw as a one year type player around. Anderson had just been traded to the Tigers and I liked what I had seen so far. Rosario looked like a good catching prospect.

Rocco Baldelli:
IBC: .297/.352/.534 in 502 AB
MLB: .253/.311/.433 in 150 AB

Wilin Rosario:
MILB: .266/.293/.404 (A+)

Josh Anderson:
MLB: .240/.276/.304

Ech! This one looks really bad for the Brewers. In hind sight it probably would have benefited me to hold onto Rocco till the AS break and I may have gotten a better deal. My fear was that he would be injured and I would get nothing for him. Looks like I accomplished that. Rocco doesn't look like the old Rocco, but both Brewers parts are on the edge of being dropped from the Roster. Anderson has a use on a Net Play roster and Rosario is still young, but this one looks bad.

Brewer Grade: D- (F if you don't factor in Baldelli's fragility)
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 16: Corey Hart, Aki Iwamura, Ronny Cedeno for Franklin Morales, Greg Halman, Kyle Lotzkar

This was the last move to commit to a course of action. I like Corey Hart, but I saw the writing on the wall from his plate discipline. I watched a similarly tall man (Tony Clark) fall off the map when he lost the ability to control that huge strike zone.

Corey Hart:
IBC: .233/.285/.435 in 430 AB
MLB: .260/.335/.418 in 419 AB

Aki Iwamura:
IBC: .275/.359/.371 in 229 AB
MLB: .290/.355/.390 in 231 AB

Ronny Cedeno:
IBC: .222/.272/.328 in 198 AB
MLB: .208/.256/.337 in 341 AB

Franklin Morales:
MLB: 3-2, 4.50 ERA in 40 IP (Thanks for 5 ER in the last game of the season)
MILB: 2-2, 3.48 ERA in 41 IP

Greg Halman:
MILB: .210/.277/.420 in 457 AB (AA) .210 ISO

Kyle Lotzkar:
Injured all year

What a doozy. Hart didn't do much in the IBC or real life, but he did have a nice sim line. Aki came back and killed in real life. Cedeno was already covered. Morales looked good early as a starter, not impressed that he is in the bullpen now. Halman is still young and has tremendous power when he strikes (Willy Mo anyone?) Lotzkar was a favorite, but I have read almost nothing about him. I don't know which side I would rather have right now after the season. From a team standpoint, it would be my side, because I have two other 2B. From a neutral standpoint, it might be Aki.

Brewer Grade: C (Tempted to give this one an incomplete)
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 18: Brett Gardner for Aaron Heilman
May 30: Aaron Heilman for Randall Delgado

These two are going to be put together. Heilman is a guy I like and thought could be placed in a starter role, but he may never get his wish. I decided after a couple bad outings that he was better off going to someone who could use his sim line for this year.

Brett Gardner:
MLB: .270/.338/.379

Aaron Heilman:
IBC: 0-3, 3.02 ERA in 53.2 IP
MLB: 4-4, 4.11 ERA in 72.1 IP

Randall Delgado:
MILB: 5-10, 4.35 ERA in 124 IP (A) 141/41 K/BB

The first deal was a guy picking up a player from his favorite team for a surplus reliever. We have all done that. The second deal was a playoff contender picking up a strikeout reliever for a prospect in A ball. I think all teams made out OK in this deal, but MIL is excited about flipping Brett Gardner for Randall Delgado.

Brewer Grade: A
Brewers

Post by Brewers »

April 29: Nate McLouth for Michael Taylor, Ben Revere

This was one of the harder moves to make. Nate is from Michigan and a fun guy to watch play the game. At the time I questioned whether this was the right deal to make. Half a year can make a world of difference.

Nate McLouth:
IBC: .299/.371/.552 in 558 AB
MLB: .256/.352/.436 in 507 AB

Michael Taylor:
MILB: .320/.395/.549 in 428 AB (AA/AAA)

Ben Revere:
MILB: .311/.372/.369 in 466 AB (A+)

McLouth provided a huge bat this year, but he didn't hit for much power after being traded to ATL. This package is going to be one of the reasons the Brewers turn it around. Taylor was a guy I was on the edge about, but he provided a monster year. He may be suiting up for the 2010 Brewers. Revere will be as good as his doubles/triples power lets him be. At worse he is a passable CF with good defense and a good OBP. I don't think I could have accidentally tripped into something better.

Brewer Grade: A (Probably my best deal)

Return to “The Home Brew”