2013 Brewers Draft

Ben Montgomery's blog. Ben finished his IBC career (2009-'13) with a 331-432 (.434) record and no playoff appearances.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

2013 Brewers Draft

Post by Brewers »

According to John Sickles

Pick 10: Kyle Zimmer, RHP, Grade B+: Borderline B due to the bone chip surgery. If healthy, a definite B+ due to combination of command, stuff, and early performance.

Pick 22: Deven Marrero, SS, Grade B-: Very good defense and patient at the plate, could develop some doubles power. I don't see him as a star but he has a chance to be a solid regular or a really good utility

Pick 23: Richie Shaffer, 3B, Grade B: One of my favorite bats in the 2012 draft, refined college hitter with good power and plate discipline. Defense at third base is underrated in my view, though of course he's blocked by Evan Longoria in this organization. Should hit enough to play first base or right field.

Pick 40: Matt Smoral, LHP, Grade B-: Big lefty from the 2012 draft, possibly a steal in the supplemental round though we haven't seen him pitch yet due to the broken foot that knocked his stock down. Power southpaw with impressive fastball and slider potential.

Pick 53: Sam Selman, LHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. I want to see him outside the Pioneer League before going higher, but he racked up strikeouts and ground balls while generating better-than-expected scouting reports, given his inconsistent college record.

Pick 82: Tyrone Taylor, OF, Grade B-: Second round pick has excellent tools and showed more polish than expected in rookie ball, has a chance to hit for power and average and steal bases as an across-the-board threat.

Pick 98: Paco Rodriguez, LHP, Grade C+: First 2012 draftee to make the majors and could stay there for the next decade or longer as a terrific LOOGY/short man. Extremely deceptive and has the potential to close games if his command against right-handed hitters stays sharp enough.

Return to “The Home Brew”