August 19 Hot Sheet

Hot sheets are posted here using the Hot Sheet Editor
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

August 19 Hot Sheet

Post by RedSox »

Contributors: Brewers, Rays

Welcome to the Hot List. We're going to be scaling the list back to every other week to get the starting pitchers 3 starts per list. Not that it'll matter if the hitters keep going at this pace. Enjoy.

Hot Sheet
1. Ryan Howard - 1B - Orioles
.373/.439/1.098, 11 HR, 16 R, 18 RBI, 15 XBH
This is a huge line. In the two week period Howard hit 11 HR. 6 TEAMS hit fewer HR than that and 3 others totaled only 12 HR. He's now sporting a .725 SLG% on the year with 30 HR for the O's and 45 HR total.

2. Cole Hamels - SP - Padres
2 Wins, 1.08 ERA, 25 IP, 12 H, 5 BB, 26 K, 2 CG, 1 SHO
Fact number 13 in the original Cole Hamels fact list was: The chief export of Cole Hamels is K's. They were right about that over the last two weeks as the tall lefty from San Diego was simply dealing. With the number of guys I jotted down with OPS north of 1100 in researching this, the only thing keeping Cole from the top of this list was the Ruthian work done by the man above him.

3. Alfonso Soriano - LF - Orioles
.407/.429/.814, 7 HR, 11 R, 15 RBI, 10 XBH, 7 SB
How a dude that wiry generates this kind of power is beyond me, and with a bat that looks like it was borrowed from Bam-Bam no less. Normally when I see 2 guys from one team with lines like this I assume they've fattened up with a couple series against me, but not this time. I won't call anyone out, but let's just say I share a flashlight with a couple of those teams here in the IBC basement.

4. Troy Glaus - 3B - Rockies
.357/.500/.857, 6 HR, 10 R, 14 RBI, 9 XBH, 12 BB
I went back and forth with Glaus at 3 and Soriano at 4 because deep down I'm a OBP slut but in the end I figured if I got Jason over confident maybe I could sneak out a couple games in our remaining series. Glaus has really played well since coming over to COL, slugging almost .700 with a .453 OBP. Perhaps John has figured out how to turn the DMB humidor down in the sim?

5. Hanley Ramirez - SS - Reds
.429/.452/.786, 5 HR, 17 R, 15 RBI, 9 XBH
Real nice two weeks for HanRam. He's got 26 HR and 47 SB already. I wonder how many SB he could have if Nate didn't run his team with the Steals turned down. You're 23+ games up man, turn the dude loose for the last 40. As an aside, every time Beckett has a bad outing my brother calls and tells me the Sox never should have traded HanRam for him. He calls me because if he were here I'd have to throw him down the stairs.

6. James Shields - SP - Tigers
2 Wins, 1.23 ERA, 22 IP, 15 H, 7 BB, 19 K
I know I said we were going to go to two weeks so the pitchers would get an equal look in the list and Shields is only the second pitcher at #6, but what can you do? Injuries to the pitching staff have almost totally derailed Detroit this year, so it must be a relief to have a workhorse like Shields still in there taking the ball every fifth day. If Hughes and Gallardo are made of glass, Shields is made of leather. I want to say the union won't take him in because he was a replacement player? Is that right? Little help?

7. Lance Berkman - 1B - Phillies
.385/.468/.769, 5 HR, 15 R, 13 RBI, 10 XBH
Normally I'd guess a 1.237 OPS would be top 5, but not this time. Berkman has to be a big reason the Phillies sit only 2 games back in a very competitive NLE.

8. Grady Sizemore - CF - Yankees
.404/.492/.769, 1 HR, 20 R, 10 RBI, 14 XBH,
Leading the charge, Grady has been a doubles machine over the last couple weeks as the Yankees have scaled the ALE mountain and once again run up their red, white, and blue version of the jolly roger. I have a friend who met Grady at a party thrown by his agent and he said he's a really nice guy, but he's on JB's team here so I have believe he feeds pigeons uncooked rice for fun in the sim. Just looked at JB's roster and now I need a beer.

9. Steve Pearce - RF - WhiteSox
.400/.455/.800, 5 HR, 14 R, 13 RBI, 10 XBH
Nice two weeks for Pearce. It seems like he's been around forever, but he's just 25. Shawns cool form calls up the picture of each player if we have it, but it looks like Pearce is part of the witness protection program. Brett Gardner also had a real nice week for the pale hose, but he's working in a platoon role so he didn't make the cut.

10. Hong-Chih Kuo - SP - Reds
2 Wins, 1.89 ERA, 19 IP, 14 H, 7 BB, 20 K
Kind of a playdown for the 10th spot with Kuo winning out over Sabathia and Haren because of his two wins and getting by Halladay, well just because. Kuo has done great work this year in MLB as a reliever, so Nate may have a huge hole to fill next year in his rotation. A 3.08 ERA and 160 K/131.1 IP with only 10 HR allowed in GAB is crazy.

An honorable mention on the pitching side to Joba who only made 1 start in the period before going on the DL, but what a start it was: 8 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 17 K.

Batting HM's to : Weeks, Dye, Miggy, Kelly Johnson, and Ichiro.

Thanks,
P.

Return to “Hot Sheets”