craft beers

Nick Perry's blog

Moderator: Phillies

Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Same can be said for Stella, Carlsberg and Dos Equis.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

i like stella
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Wired article about how green bottles don't blow UV light:
http://www.wired.com/2013/03/physics-an ... r-bottles/

I've had clear bottle beers before that were decent. When I was in Mexico in June, I drank a ton of Estrella and thought it was great. I've never had it up here though, so maybe it was still "fresh" when I had it.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

I think you meant block...and the key is just making sure the hops that are present in a beer don't convert to the skunky taste. So clear bottles stored in a dark room prior to serving can minimize such effects, however most sit on shelves in stores.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Really bummed I missed this thread.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Start it up again. What you got to add?
Royals

Post by Royals »

Jeez, I could write for hours about beer (all that time I used to spend on the IBC? A lot of it went to beer and brewing).
Stylistically, there aren't many types of beer I don't like, aside from lite lagers (piss wassa as a german acquaintance of mine calls them). Although a good craft lager on a hot day is an awesome thing. Some with a a good wheat, ala White Rascal from Avery.
My beers of choice though generally fall under the big and/or barrel aged categories, especially a good English Barleywine, which is pretty hard to find. American Barleywines are everywhere, but the English are less hoppy. IPA's are great and all, but when I get a barleywine, I want malt, not hops. My favorite example is Upslope Brewing's Barrel Aged Barleywine, which isn't distributed unfortunately. Great Divide makes a BA Barleywine, Old Ruffian I think, that mellows on the hops as it ages that gets distributed pretty widely.

Colorado has the advantage as a craft brew mecca of not only being home to so many great breweries (not to mention GABF) but also drawing a lot of great beer here. All the Russian River stuff is fairly easy to find (Pliny, supplication, damnation, etc.), the only one that frustrates me is the lack of Bells.
Shit, I'm rambling.

Beer.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

I have to drive about 20 minutes to find Bell's, which is obviously nothing. Hopefully come January I'll be able to get my hands on some Hopslam.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Yesterday in honor of International Stout Day I enjoyed Clown Shoes Extremely Angry Beast and Atlantic Brewing Company's Ellen's Coffee Stout and would recommend either of them.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

I bought a few Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (2011) yesterday, but decided it better to celebrate stout day later this evening so I could actually make it to work today.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19378/60332/

Alpa Centauri has ruined me for all other beers lately, I keep thinking it will get old, but it never does.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

I may have to take a trip down I-5 to Oregon so I can try some of that Alpha Centauri. Looks promising, but hard to find up here in Seattle. Closest looks to be the Churchkey Pub up in Edmonds. Was hoping Total Wine would be carrying it.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Phillies wrote:I bought a few Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (2011) yesterday, but decided it better to celebrate stout day later this evening so I could actually make it to work today.
You will not regret that choice. WWS is a spectacular beer. I'm sure it goes without saying, but don't drink it cold, let it warm up a bit to 'cool' as opposed to cold.

I might have to have one this evening myself.
Tigers

Post by Tigers »

Bringing this thread back up is making miss that Zombie Dust again. Damn! That was some good beer.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Gonna drink some Bud Lights tonight and wash it down with some 1800. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

I will be one upping JP with IPAs of various sorts intermixed with bourbons.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Tigers

Post by Tigers »

Angels wrote:I will be one upping JP with IPAs of various sorts intermixed with bourbons.

I think that is where the Bourbon Ales must have come from. Someone somewhere in Kentucky had a drunken night of knocking back IPA's and Bourbon, and wham! Bourbon Ales where born!
Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Post by Braves »

Speaking of IPAs - I had a Founders Dark Penance which is an Imperial Black IPA and it was damn good! I recommend it you guys ever see it, not sure if its out east or not though.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Not a beer, but I picked up 1 of these sodas yesterday:
http://propersoda.com/
Hop Soda. Smells like an IPA, kinda tastes like a Sprite. Very strange, but somehow it's pretty good.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Pirates wrote:Gonna drink some Bud Lights tonight and wash it down with some 1800. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Update: it went well.

Tonight, I will once again expand my horizons and drink Bud Light, and possibly wash it down with some Jameson.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Nick, please ban anyone who speaks about drinking Bud Light in a craft brew thread. The only discussions about Bud Light in a craft brew thread should be about how it sucks, and its swill.

Thank you.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

:(
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Pirates wrote::(
Issue a warning then.. You redeemed yourself with Jameson talk. ;)
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

So is it ok if I talk about all the Labatt Blue's I'm going to have tonight?
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Orioles wrote:So is it ok if I talk about all the Labatt Blue's I'm going to have tonight?
No

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L

Return to “Phillies”