craft beers

Nick Perry's blog

Moderator: Phillies

Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

craft beers

Post by Phillies »

I remember having a conversation not too long ago, but I don't remember who's blog it was under. Thought it was Jared's but maybe that's because he's the Brewers. Delaware selection is good, but I want new stuff to try. Anyone have any suggestions? Or anyone have beer where they are located and want to trade for East Coast stuff? I like IPA, stout, and barley wine the most.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Unfortunately I only have East Coast Stuff, too. But in a few months keep your eye out for Bell's Hopslam...I know you can get in Philly.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Yea Hopslam is one of the ones I had on my mind. When does that come out? Every liquor store I talk to in PA tells me they have people waiting for it when it comes out and they sell out fast.

You probably have access to Heady Topper too huh?
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Hopslam is pretty great, usually comes out around this time of year too I think.

I was at Wolfgang Puck's Steakhouse in Detoilet last week and the manager hooked me up with a bottle of Founders KBS. It's like the holy grail of bourbon barrel stouts. 11.2% ABV and absolutely delicious. Also $15 a bottle. So hard to find tho.

Btw, I live in the shitty state of Michigan which only has 1 redeeming feature in that the beer up here is phenomenal. So hit me up if there's anything people want/need.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

I have a friend in Chicago. He sent me and my buddy a bottle of 3 Floyds 2012 Dark Lord the other day and it was ridiculous. I've also had Zombie Dust and Cimmerian Sabertooth from 3 Floyds. Do you get 3 Floyds where you are? I know their distribution is really limited.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I don't believe I've ever seen any, but I'll look for it next time I'm at the store.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Looked it up. Only in IL, IN, KY, OH, and WI.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Well, I'm in KY, OH and WI pretty often, I'll look for it next time I'm there.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Hopslam is easy to get in NYC, just because so many places carry it. I can snag you a bottle around february when it does come out. I've had heady topper, easily the best IPA I've ever had...Unfortunately they only distribute within 15 miles of the brewery in Vermont, so unless you live there or trade for it, you're SOL.

You can also get Pliny around March too in Philly.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Wait, are you guys talking about Hopslam from Bell's? Because that's brewed in Kalamazoo, MI.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Ah, you're refering to heady topper being from VA, nvm.

Looks like Hopslam comes out in January. I recall it drying up within a month last year.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

NYC got Bell's for the first time every last year, the Hopslam we had until early March.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

So Hopslam and Pliny the Elder I'll have to wait until 2015. Any recommendations for something out now?
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Unfortunately It's not really IPA season...but regular Founder's Breakfast Stout is always good. The rarer version of that is the Kentucky Breakfast Stout, and the even rarer version of that is the Canadian Breakfast Stout (but i dont think they really produce it anymore)

AleSmith Speedway Stout is also really good, it only comes in a big bottle, but they make many different variations on that.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Well what West Coast Beers can you actually get your hands on...because in Cali it is always IPA season...or atleast the season is a lot longer than those on the east coast.

Lagunitas (If you can find sumpin wild that is a good one, sucks comes out in January http://lagunitas.com/beers/

Stone (Will be opening a brewery in Richmond, though their Enjoy by 10.31.14 was a little lackluster http://www.stonebrewing.com/beers/)

Green Flash (Currently has a triple IPA http://www.greenflashbrew.com/our-beers/green-bullet/

Alesmith (they have their IPA but really they are about the stouts)

Russian River really doesn't sell much of their stock outside of Pliny

Alpine is the same as Russian, but really limited https://alpinebeerco.wordpress.com/ to probably just California.

And I am sure everyone is aware of this page http://www.beergraphs.com/leaderboards/?page=1 that can be used in conjunction with beer advocate.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

As you know, Colorado is a mecca of sorts for craft brews.

So if there's anything out of here that any of ya'll want, I will do what I can to make it happen.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Heady Topper is out of Burlington, VT. People line up around the block to buy this stuff. I am not an IPA fan so I think Heady Topper is disgusting but to each their own.

Evidently my wife has family that works for Hill farmstead Brewery whose brewery one of my friends described as a hipster field of dreams. Evidently their beer is supposed to be some of the best in the world but everything I've tried has been too hoppy for my taste.

For Vermont beers I am a devoted follower of Switchback and Long Trail.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Hill farmstead is great, but like Jared said...if you don't like wild or hoppy flavors, its not for you. Lawson's Finest is also a great Vermont brewery, again you can only get it in VT.
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

So I guess I am bringing all the California IPA's next year to the AFL since driving and flying would cost the same and if I drive, I can bring more of the good stuff.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

Hill Farmstead for my money is some of the best stuff around --- They have some awesome beer.

Heady is also fantastic, have three cans sitting in my fridge at the moment.
Rays
Name: Matt Kratky

Post by Rays »

Wow! Some great beers mentioned on this list.

I like many of the west coast breweries that Stephen mentioned. I would add Ballast Point to that list and Sculpin has been available in cans/bottles regularly on the east coast for the past year. The cans are marked according to the Julian calendar and everything I've had has been really fresh.

Looking forward to trying the hopslam early next year!
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

After a day of stacking firewood I went to one of my favorite local taverns and enjoyed a few Smuttynose/Stone Cluster's Last Stand:

"Cluster's Last Stand is a recreation of one of the original American IPAs, as researched by Stone's Mitch Steele, (If you've read his wonderful book on IPAs, you've read about this recipe). We originally brewed 30 barrels of Cluster's a little over a year ago. It was delicious, but it seemed like the beer disappeared many people got try it. That's why we brewed it again and we brewed a lot more.

We'll be releasing bottles of Cluster's at our Towle Farm brewery in Hampton, NH this Saturday, 9/6, at 11am, when we open. Shipments to our wholesalers in these states and countries will begin next week: CA, CT, DC, FL, GA, Germany, IL, IN, Italy, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, Puerto Rico, RI, SC, South Korea, Sweden, TN, United Kingdom, VA, VT, WI.

The beer (8.3%, 62 IBUs) features a melange of Cluster's, Bullion, First Gold and East Kent Goldings and a deep copper color."

It was very good ...
Last edited by Padres on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Maine Beer Company is badass, if it hasn't been mentioned here. When it releases some of its batches, it sells out in minutes. Every time I go to Maine, I come back with boxes.

I'm not a huge IPA fan, more of a stout/porter guy, but their Lunch & Dinner IPA's are amazing. I've had their Breakfast, Peeper, Red Wheel Barrow, and was blown away by their Mean Old Tom and King Titus beers.

Columbus Brewing Company also had some of the best beers I had in the Midwest.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Bud Light and Bud Light Platinum count right?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Pirates wrote:Bud Light and Bud Light Platinum count right?
For a hundred degree day on the water...sure...on a normal day...might as well drink water or hard liquor.

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L

Return to “Phillies”