Power Rankings since 2010 rebuild

Nick Perry's blog

Moderator: Phillies

Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Power Rankings since 2010 rebuild

Post by Phillies »

Last PR from 2010. Rebuilt immediately after the season.
#5 Phillies: Jim Lovell. Philadelphia has a problem, namely injuries. Nick has already lost a lot of good players this year and namely Jake Peavy for the year. The Phils want in the playoffs and have made moves for this season such as getting Ryan Raburn for the stretch run. The Phils have finally taken over first place and could be back in the playoffs for the first time since 2002 when he won it all. If he does, he will have managed to get through a major crisis of injuries to return to October. If there were ever a movie character (or real life assuming Apollo 13 wasn’t staged like the moon landing) that handled unexpected adversity, it is Jim Lovell. After the oxygen tank exploded on Apollo 13 to cause major damage to their spaceship, Lovell is able, with the help of the crew, to make enough repairs to pilot safely back to Earth, having to skip a moon landing in the process. While Nick’s playoff chances aren’t a life or death situation, it would be quite a feat for him to pull this off.

June 27 2011
20. Philadelphia-chili; Chili is usually pretty good and if you make a pot of it, you can eat on it for a few days. Chili is also a commitment, because if you make it, you’re going to eat on it for a few days and you get tired of it before too long. Nick’s teams, after his 2002 title, were always a middle of the pack, 81-90 win team that never made the playoffs, good but not great. After making the playoffs last year and losing to Ken in the NLDS, Nick decided to blow the whole thing up and retool. It will be a little while before Nick is a contender again, but he has a very good, young pitching staff to build around. The offense is a ways behind, but patience, good deals and good drafts will have Nick ready to contend sooner rather than later.

Sept 13 2011
25. Nick had himself a playoff team last year, and like JP, was bounced by Ken’s Reds. Unlike JP though, Nick decided to blow up his team and rebuild it entirely. The Phillies have rebuilt nicely, and at this point also own the No. 1 pick in the 2011 IBC draft. The Phils should be making the NL East interesting in the near future. Natalie Zea isn’t that well known yet, but she has shown flashes of excellence in some of her roles, notably Justified and The Other Guys. She’s somewhat of a Hollywood vet at age 36, but likewise, Nick is an IBC vet, having been around since 2002. We should be seeing plenty more success from both Zea and Nick in the near future.

March 31 2012
22. After winning the 2010 NLE title, Nick decided to rebuild. People thought he was crazy for dealing guys like Votto, but after a year of taking his lumps, you can already see results. There’s a farm system full of guys close to the majors, young guys like Freddie Freeman and Desmond Jennings to build around and the potential to be competitive this year and a true threat in 2013. Rhino was fired in 2005 for knocking over a flower pot in anger in a hotel lobby when his wife told him she wanted a divorce. He subsequently went to TNA and became their champion for a short time. When the WWF asked him to come back, he told them to fuck off, as he plainly says here. Come next year, Nick may be ready to tell everyone that told him rebuilding was stupid to fuck off.

July 27 2012
27. Let me be honest with you. I don’t know a lot about Amber Heard. I know she’s really hot, and I know she’s a lesbian, or bisexual, or something. Whatever. She’s hot. But I couldn’t tell you one thing she’s been in. The Phillies were once the hottest team in the NL East, winning the division in 2010, and Nick, of course, won the first-ever IBC title a decade (!!!) ago. And the roster looks pretty good now, rebuild and all. There’s some pieces missing, sure, but that’s every roster. It’s only a matter of time before the Phillies are good again, and it’s only a matter of time before I can name something Heard has been in. I think.

Sept 3 2012
26. Nick is currently in a race for the 3rd pick in this years draft, competing for the second worst record in the NL. The rebuilding project started after 2010 is going along nicely, but taking your lumps comes with the territory. The farm is pretty stacked and Nick has set himself up as a contender in the very near future, especially if he hits a home run with this draft. It may seem like 1942 when Nick won the title, but it was only 2002. 1942 is a World War II airplane shooter game where you try and reach Tokyo to destroy the Japanese air fleet. The game is super hard, and was Capcom's first breakthrough arcade hit (remember arcades? we're old). 1942 has been rereleased on a number of platforms over the years and is still entertaining to play. Nick can only hope the rebuild results in the same longevity.

Aug 5 2013
15. Nick peaked in the first year of the IBC, winning the title in 2002 thanks to a miracle run that in hindsight is nearly unbelievable. Since moving to Philly, Nick has mostly been in rebuilding mode, aside from 2010 when he won the division. Nick sits in the thick of the wild card race this year and a great, young core to build around (Gattis, McCutcheon, Freeman, Samardzja). If he can make a couple moves, make his pitching staff better, Nick could be trouble. Bo Derek also peaked at the beginning of her career, starring in 10 and becoming one of the biggest sex symbols of the 1980s. From there, her career went nowhere and aside from a memorable role in Tommy Boy she has done nothing of note. While she still looks good despite being 56, Derek’s career never neared the potential it appeared to have after 10. Nick so far has not reached the potential that 2002 showed, but with the young guys on his team, he could end up being a 10 himself before too long.

Sept 1 2013
11. If you win a title long ago and are decent the rest of the way, folks will think you’re good forever. That has been what’s happened to Notre Dame, and sort of what happened to Nick. No school lives more off a legacy of wins when Hitler was the German Chancellor than Notre Dame. Any time they’re remotely good, the media laps it up, fawning over plays with made up dead girlfriends or every “best quarterback prospect in ages” that just turns out to be another shitty Claussen brother. Hopefully for everyone’s sake, Notre Dame doesn’t have a ten win season for about another thirty years. Nick won the very first IBC title. Since then he’s been to the playoffs once. Every year just about, it seems Nick wins 80-85 games. Nick’s reputation as a quality GM has been well earned. Notre Dame’s was earned when FDR was riding around the country on trains pretending to be able to walk. Advantage: Nick and polio.

Feb 16 2014
9. Philadelphia - “Party in the CIA” - This team is sneaky good and will cut you down before you know what hit you. Or something.

May 26 2014
3. Phillies: PED suspensions and the fallout for baseball
Nick’s long rebuild has resulted in a team with the 2nd best record in the NL, even better currently than JP. Well that might not hold up, but look for the Phillies to be in the thick of things the rest of the way. Good pitching, a great middle of the order, this is a dark horse candidate for the WS. Nick’s record isn’t artificially inflated, like so many records were in the 1990s and 2000s. I’m pretty sure Jim Thome hit over 70 homers one year in the IBC. The steroid era is something we don’t really know how to deal with. If guys were assholes, like Clemens and Bonds, we vilify them and ignore their legacy. If they were a nice guy, like Andy Pettitte, we let them off the hook. Nick won’t be letting anyone off the hook with this team.

9/9/14
No. 2, Phillies--- Jamie Alexander. Nick has charged into the lead in the NL East. McCutcheon and Freddie Freeman anchoring the middle of the lineup surrounded by the likes of Utley, Werth and Josh Donaldson and a rotation with Jeff Samardzjia, Homer Bailey and Jordan Zimmerman, Nick will be winning a lot of games for the foreseeable future. Jamie Alexander has slowly been working up the ranks in Hollywood. You may remember her as Tammy, the high school girl that forces Dennis to take her to prom in the first season of Sunny. She’s also been in Thor, had a prominent role in Nurse Jackie and should continue to pull in big roles. She’s only 30 and may just be hitting her stride. Nick is already in a full gallop and could run away with the division.

Despite rebuilding, I was only bad for 2 seasons. That despite a disaster of a trade when I sent VMart (at the time was my 2nd or 3rd big piece) for Ryan Kalish and Jerry Sands who I loved at the time.

I saved my ass by trading Nolasco for Pineda, then trading Pineda a year later for Cahill, Harvey, Marisnick, and Paxton. Cahill was later flipped for the Shark

The big trade was obviously the Votto one:
Cardinals trades Brendan Ryan, Jhoulys Chacin, Freddie Freeman, Lonnie Chisenhall, Jordan 8-Lyles, Matthew 9-Hobgood, to Phillies for Joe Blanton, Tim Hudson, Andres Torres, Joey Votto

To this day I don't think that was a bad deal at the time. Chacin was an upgrade over Tim Hudson who was a dozen years older. Blanton and Torres sucked as I thought they would. I thought Lonny and Lyles were studs. Along with Freeman, they were all top 30 prospects in 2011. Lonny was eventually flipped for Lowrie, Chacin was flipped for Dom Brown, Dom Brown and a 1st were flipped for 2011 #1 overall. I traded #1 overall to JP because I knew I could get my guy Bauer at #4 overall. So much for that. At least I flipped Bauer for Austin Jackson, then used Austin Jackson, Jorge Soler (who I got for Chris Tillman), and Lance McCullers for McCutchen and Aoki.

Moral of the story is that I draft horribly, trade well about half of the time, and now a few years later I have a pretty darn good team. Just trying to figure out how...

Return to “Phillies”