Nick Perry's blog

Moderator: Phillies

Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

2013 Draft

Post by Phillies »

Pick #93 - JaCoby Jones

From MLB.com:
In terms of his tools and his body, Jones is a first-round talent. But the LSU product hasn't always been consistent with his performance. Jones can flat-out run, clocking a 4.1 to first base in the Cape Cod League. He's played shortstop, second and the outfield and hasn't found a home anywhere defensively as of yet, with most feeling he's best suited for the outfield when all is said and done. While playing on the Cape, Jones showed both his potential and what he needs to work on. He won the league's home run derby and had 12 extra-base hits in 35 games. On the flip side, his aggressive approach led to 55 strikeouts in 139 at-bats. He's shown more of the latter than the former during his junior season, leaving his Draft status up in the air. Still, his raw tools are bound to have some team willing to take a chance.

From BA:
The three top prep players out of Mississippi in 2010 were Ryan Bolden, Jones and Hunter Renfroe. The Angels took Bolden in the supplemental first-round (he hasn't reached full-season ball yet), while Jones and Renfroe headed to the Southeastern Conference. Jones came in with more fanfare and has been a three-year starter at LSU, though Renfroe has far surpassed him as a prospect. Jones ranks as the top athlete in the college class and does everything easily, from long batting-practice home runs to well above-average speed. Jones looks like a shortstop, plays second base and probably fits better in center field long-term. He doesn't have the instincts to stay in the dirt and is said to prefer the outfield. He doesn't have great pitch recognition and hasn't tapped into his above-average raw power, with just 13 career home runs. His low-energy approach and makeup, plus his modest improvement over three seasons, turn scouts off, so his tools have to get him into the third round.

Pick #104 - Trevor Williams

From BA:
Williams is a bit like Ryan Eades, in that his size and stuff would lead you to believe that he would produce big strikeout numbers. In two years as a starter for the Sun Devils, however, Williams has struck out about 5.5batters per nine innings. He has a workhorse build at 6-foot-3 and 228 pounds, with an athletic delivery. He relies on a two-seam fastball that sits in the 90-91 mph range and can dial his four-seamer up to 95 when he needs it. His changeup is his best secondary offering. He throws both a slider and a curveball that are below-average because a long arm swing in the back inhibits his ability to stay on top of them. A pro organization will likely take one of the breaking balls away and try to get him to shorten up in the back. Williams has good control, with 35 career walks in his three years in Tempe, and he can command his fastball, though the pitch can get straight at times. If he cantighten up his breaking ball, Williams could be a middle of the rotation starter.

Pick #113 - Tucker Neuhaus

From BA:
Neuhaus' older brother died in a car accident in the offseason, and he has struggled to find solace on the field, with nagging injuries such as a pulled quadriceps muscle and burst eardrum. In spite of his tough year, there's a lot to like with Neuhaus, who comes from a baseball family. His father Ken was a head coach at Division III Bethel (Minn.) and an assistant at Iowa before moving the family to Florida, where he has served as a part-time scout with the Reds. Neuhaus has grown into his 6-foot-3, 200-pound frame and plays with savvy and above-average tools. He's athletic for his size and has the soft hands and footwork of someone who loves the game and has played it a lot. Some scouts believe he can handle shortstop, while others see him as a profile third baseman, where he should be an excellent defender. He has good range and solid arm strength for the left side of the infield. He also offers lefthanded power, especially to the pull side. Neuhaus is committed to Louisville and scouts have had a hard time seeing him this spring, which might force him lower on draft boards. He still could play his way into the first two rounds if he performs well in Sebring at the Florida high school all-star game.

Pick #114 - Trey Michalczewski

From BA:
Drew Ward has drawn more hype as a rare draft-eligible high school junior, but it's Michalczewski who's the best prospect among Oklahoma prep corner infielders. Ward has more power, but Michalczewski offers plenty of pop along with superior hitting skills and athleticism. A 6-foot-3, 210-pound specimen, he played tight end on Jenks' state 6-A football championship team and caught a 66-yard touchdown in the title game. He has a mature approach and bat speed from both sides of the plate, which should create solid power. He's content to drive the ball from gap to gap for now, with more home runs to come once he turns on more pitches. An average runner with good actions and a strong arm at shortstop, Michalczewski profiles as a third baseman in pro ball. Both he and Ward are Oklahoma recruits but should sign if drafted in the first four rounds.

Pick #143 - Kent Emanuel

From BA:
An unsigned 19th-rounder out of high school, Emanuel didn't sign and became North Carolina's ace after Matt Harvey left for pro ball. He tossed a complete-game shutout during the 2011 College World Series and has been the team's ace the last two seasons; he lasted seven innings or more in 10 of his first 11 starts in 2013. He has a power pitcher's body at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds but pitches with a funky delivery that gives him deception but precludes much projection in terms of velocity. He pitches with a fringe-average fastball, touching 90-91 but sitting 87-89 mph. His fastball plays up because he locates it well, both inside and down, and pitches with a tough angle to hitters. He also locates an above-average changeup. He has improved both his curveball and slider, though neither is a swing-and-miss pitch. He's an excellent athlete with a good pickoff move who repeats his herky-jerky delivery. His deception keeps hitters from getting consistent good swings, but limits his ceiling a bit, because he's not going to throw harder with his current delivery. Emanuel pitches with poise and maturity, and his polish should allow him to move quickly.
Last edited by Phillies on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

I was really hoping Josh Hart would continue to fall, but Jared stole him a few picks before me. Not sure how he fell that far, but it probably had something to do with the comps to Revere who kinda stinks. JaCoby Jones is an interesting pick for me. He ended the season early due to a knee injury, but was playing well in Class A. I'm hoping he starts the year in Bradenton and makes a full time move to CF. He seems to be a Jake Marisnick type. Big dude, really fast, good raw power, strikes out a lot. I'm obviously hoping he takes a similar path.

With my second pick, I was going to take Blake Taylor (who then right on cue was drafted right after me), but I talked myself in to Trevor Williams. Big RH that can throw in the mid-90's. I like that his first three pitches are 2SF, 4SF, and change-up. The big knock is a lack of strikeouts and from his scouting reports it's due to below-avg slider/curveball. I'm obviously banking on the Marlins developing his out pitch, but it's a good gamble for a big guy that throws hard.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

My next two picks I went with two projectable infielders I have had my eye on. Both are an ideal size at 6-foot-3, 200+ lbs. Both project to be average to above-average at 3B. Neuhaus swings left-handed, and Michalczewski is a switch hitter. Hopefully one pans out in a few years.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Jacoby Jones - traded. is he going to be good or not? dunno
Trevor Williams - dropped. may develop into swing man one of these years.
Tucker Neuhaus - dropped. never plays
Trey Michalczewski - traded. still a fan
Kent Emmanuel - dropped. not good at baseball

This is getting depressing.
Phillies

Re: 2013 Draft

Post by Phillies »

Trevor Williams is kinda good? I always believed in him.

Return to “Phillies”