MLB gun control?

A place specifically for trash talk, check your sensitivities at the door. If you're offended, leave this area.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

MLB gun control?

Post by Giants »

Bryce Brentz accidentally shot himself and is going to miss spring training. First of all, thankfully he's going to be ok. Secondly, is this the most hilariously timely MLB injury? As congress debates gun control a prospect shoots himself and no one in this league has anything snarky to say. I'm disappointed and using this thread to lay down the gauntlet!
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I'll wait for the liberals to chime in before I say anything
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Extreme Liberal chiming in here - I fully believe everyone should have the right to own a gun (with a valid background check), however there is absolutely no need for anyone to own an assault riffle. You do not need an assault riffle to hunt animals nor protect your house.
Astros

Post by Astros »

Copied and pasted from my friend's facebook talking about his AR-15

This is my "assault rifle." It also happens to be a fine weapon for taking whitetail deer, black bear, elk, and even moose and grizzly when used at relatively close ranges. It's a very precise weapon and is capable of better-than-acceptable accuracy for hunting big game.

In fact, this is why I enjoy the rifle so much. It's not its looks or the energy behind the round that it fires, or even its magazine capacity (your Marlin '94 holds almost twice as many rounds) that make me favor this rifle. It's accurate and easy to maintain, and will shoot MOA groups where your grandfather's old "buck buster" will barely hold 2- and frequently worse. This means I can make cleaner, much more humane kills at ranges that many wouldn't (or shouldn't) even try.

Did I mention that it probably even has less felt recoil than a traditional big game hunting rifle? Shooting this is a dream and developing a flinch is very unlikely. Because of the muzzle brake, this rifle has even less muzzle flip than your .44! In the event of needing to fire an anchoring shot, it couldn't be easier to do than it is with this rifle.

This rifle has never and hopefully will never be used to take a human life. Notice I said used. As much awesome as there is packed into my hunting rifle, it is not sentient. It's not going to go off unless I decide that it's going to go off. The bullets that come from this rifle's cartridges are not sensing, knowing beings. They will only hit what they are pointed at when I decide to shoot. To date, that has been four whitetail deer and lots of paper targets.

So what's the big deal? I have a weapon that in many ways is superior to all other hunting arms. Its only downside?

It looks scary.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

First of all, I'm all for people having the right to own guns. This is not the issue. I do agree with Jake, though - and, Aaron, your post really did nothing to clean up the issues that Jake brought out.

1) Valid and intensive background checks standard
2) Seriously - why assault rifles? So you can feel a little bit better about killing defenseless animals? So you can be a little safer when going after defenseless animals? My cousin is a hunter and claims that assault rifles take the fun and skill away from the sport. His exact quote, "People used to kill animals with bows and arrows. Assault weapons are beyond cheating."

Gun owners seem so confused in the logic they create. "Killers are going to find a way to kill," yet we should also "allow assault weapons." If all someone has is a knife, they aren't going to make it very far in a school slaying. If all someone has is 6, 12, 20 bullets and then has to reload, they will make it precisely that far. If someone has the desire for mass destruction, and capability of getting their hands on a high-powered assault rifle...well, we see the results.

If that's true, and a killer is going to kill, why not be concerned first and foremost with human safety?
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Astros

Post by Astros »

Nationals wrote:First of all, I'm all for people having the right to own guns. This is not the issue. I do agree with Jake, though - and, Aaron, your post really did nothing to clean up the issues that Jake brought out.

2) Seriously - why assault rifles? So you can feel a little bit better about killing defenseless animals? So you can be a little safer when going after defenseless animals? My cousin is a hunter and claims that assault rifles take the fun and skill away from the sport. His exact quote, "People used to kill animals with bows and arrows. Assault weapons are beyond cheating."

Gun owners seem so confused in the logic they create. "Killers are going to find a way to kill," yet we should also "allow assault weapons." If all someone has is a knife, they aren't going to make it very far in a school slaying. If all someone has is 6, 12, 20 bullets and then has to reload, they will make it precisely that far. If someone has the desire for mass destruction, and capability of getting their hands on a high-powered assault rifle...well, we see the results.

If that's true, and a killer is going to kill, why not be concerned first and foremost with human safety?
There were more deaths from shotguns in 2011 than from rifles. There were almost 5900 people killed by handguns than by rifles. There are no automatic assault weapons available for purchase. We need to quit blaming society as a whole for the actions of a couple of crazy, evil people. More drunk drivers kill people than assault weapons, hell hammers kill more people. We going to ban cars and Home Depot too?
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Nationals wrote:
To point number 1...someone that is going to break law isn't usually going to get his gun through the normal means...seriously, what criminal would want to be registered with a gun before committing a crime. So you can make the background checks as intense as you want...and the criminal is still going to go to the guy in the dark alley with the trunk full of unregistered guns that were brought in on the shipment from some foreign nation.

To point number 2, just because you take them off the shelves and stop having the US manufacture them for any other purpose than military use doesn't mean they won't make it into the hands of gang members...once again, there is a black market arms trade out there.

So in reality, while you might catch a few more people from committing crimes, the likelihood is all these rules will just be piled onto people that would never thing to do such a thing in the first place.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Astros

Post by Astros »

99.999% of gun owners are responsible. But yes, punish us. Maybe next time someone gets drunk and kills someone we can talk about banning beer
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Cardinals wrote:
There were more deaths from shotguns in 2011 than from rifles. There were almost 5900 people killed by handguns than by rifles. There are no automatic assault weapons available for purchase. We need to quit blaming society as a whole for the actions of a couple of crazy, evil people. More drunk drivers kill people than assault weapons, hell hammers kill more people. We going to ban cars and Home Depot too?
Super slippery slope that the government wants to control everything the public does, yet never thinks it through.

We get fat because we eat sugary sweets...lets ban sugar...great idea, lets not look towards ourselves and moderate our own diets. (Follow up, this is why not everyone should get healthcare at the same cost, if you want to do things, they have consequences, but if you are willing to accept them, great, that is all on you)

All students don't get As and Bs in school, let us make the standards easier rather than deal with the real issue that the kids just aren't getting it and need to figure out how to solve that.

It is our own damn fault we have got to this point, but rather than looking at ourselves and seeing what we each can do, we want to blame everyone else and expect the "Great Society" rules to take over.

Screw that, man up and take care of your own crap and stop relying on everyone else to get your ass through life.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Astros

Post by Astros »

Spoken like a libertarian, which what I define myself as as well. The "War on Poverty" has cost more than every American war combined. I forget the statistic I read, but in 2010 it would've cost something like, $132 billion to get everyone on welfare out of poverty by giving them cash. The government spent $400 billion on welfare.

One of the schools I worked at last year, it was pounded into our heads by the administration, "Do whatever you can to get everyone to a D-." So it didn't matter if someone never did anything and had a 30% in the class, we had to give them plenty of opportunities to make everything up or give them extra credit so they could pass.

The real issue is people think it is the government's job to solve everything and play nurse maid to society. People need to get their shit together, handle their own affairs, take responsibility for their actions and we'll be a lot better off, individually and as a whole
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Nobody is ruining anything for anyone Aaron. Would you rather sit back and watch one of these mass murders happen each year and go "oh yeah well it doesn't matter 99% of the owners are responsible, so it was just this one guy" or just eliminate the risk all together. It is not necessary for a single person to own an assault riffle, their are no positive things of owning one.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

There was a great section in the book "Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell that said that the first efforts against a widespread outbreak of violence in NYC was painting the subway car graffiti off every night. No matter what happened, each morning the subway cars were cleaned. This led to an almost immediate crackdown on fare jumpers, subway violence, and crimes committed in the subway. Many people believe this became a tipping point towards cleaning up violence and crime in NYC...period. Most people made fun of the efforts on the subway cars until they saw the results. You can belittle their overall effect on crime in NYC, but you can't take away the fact that is immediately helped the subways.

By making guns harder to get for everyone in America (violent criminals, people with mental instability, etc.) and limiting the type of weapons sold to the public, these are two methods of at least attempting to keep guns out of the hands of potential violent criminals and limiting the effects they can have if things go wrong - and perhaps discouraging some people who want widespread violence.

We can sit around, do nothing, and blame the individuals themselves...or we can at least try. I don't want to live in a country where our government does not attempt to help people in need, help protect the safety of those who live in its country, or support the individual states in their attempts to do either of these.

I'm not even a liberal...I'm a liberal-leaning independent who has an absolute man-crush on Chris Christie. However, I grow sicker and sicker of the 'screw 'em, let 'em rot' mentality of the conservative base.
Astros

Post by Astros »

Nationals wrote:
We can sit around, do nothing, and blame the individuals themselves...or we can at least try. I don't want to live in a country where our government does not attempt to help people in need, help protect the safety of those who live in its country, or support the individual states in their attempts to do either of these.

I'm not even a liberal...I'm a liberal-leaning independent who has an absolute man-crush on Chris Christie. However, I grow sicker and sicker of the 'screw 'em, let 'em rot' mentality of the conservative base.
I grew up in poverty in a single parent home. My mom never made more than $20,000 a year. We got by due to budgeting, living within our means and didn't take any government handouts. So I don't have a "Screw 'em, let em rot" mentality. I have a "I did it, so you can too if you try" mentality. Me and Gabe have talked about this numerous times, it is the one thing we agree on politically because we both had nothing growing up and were raised by single mothers. The government should help out children and the elderly, those that really really need it
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

You should be incredibly proud of what your parent's accomplished...and what you have accomplished. However it is virtually impossible for the government to look and judge every situation independently. There's just not the capacity to do it. I'd rather have our government exercise its resources (and the money I earn and give back) on giving as many people as much opportunity as possible.

If people are abusing that privilege, that's obviously disappointing. However, if this helps raise the next Aaron or Gabe...then it's worth it. Taxes suck...no one likes paying them. I'd rather make all my money. However, if it's going to go, I'd rather it go towards giving people the opportunities I've been afforded. If they don't use it, too bad...but I'd rather they try.
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Nationals wrote:If people are abusing that privilege, that's obviously disappointing. However, if this helps raise the next Aaron or Gabe...then it's worth it. Taxes suck...no one likes paying them. I'd rather make all my money. However, if it's going to go, I'd rather it go towards giving people the opportunities I've been afforded. If they don't use it, too bad...but I'd rather they try.
That is what local charities are for, people at the source of the problems directly them...not some elitist 3,000 miles away that is just pandering to votes.

This is why Santa can't lose, everyone loves a gift(handout), and why politicians love to give more and more and spend what they don't have.

I dare someone to vote for the Grim Reaper, someone that is willing to make the necessary cuts here and there to get us back in line.

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Who's 'us'? People who can afford it? Charities are chronically underfunded, understaffed, and unsuccessful.

If those of us who have 'made it' have to do a little more to help those who are disadvantaged - so be it. If you're saying we can't blame control on a few crazies, we can't claim not to fund social programs because some people take advantage of the system.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

I really have no opinion on gun regulation one way or another.
I have never held a gun in my 32 years of life nor do I have a desire to ever touch, own or fire a gun. But if I did, it would be with the intent of harming someone. Can't say the same when I get into a car so that's a hard comparison to use for the sake of an argument.

Being ignorant - maybe someone can answer a question: To obtain a drivers liscense everyone has to everyone must pass a written test on rules/regulations as well as a operational test to prove that you can operate and follow safety regulations. Are the requirements to obtain a liscense to carry a firearm similar?
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Mets wrote:I really have no opinion on gun regulation one way or another.
I have never held a gun in my 32 years of life nor do I have a desire to ever touch, own or fire a gun. But if I did, it would be with the intent of harming someone. Can't say the same when I get into a car so that's a hard comparison to use for the sake of an argument.

Being ignorant - maybe someone can answer a question: To obtain a drivers liscense everyone has to everyone must pass a written test on rules/regulations as well as a operational test to prove that you can operate and follow safety regulations. Are the requirements to obtain a liscense to carry a firearm similar?

Depends on the state you live in. Conceal carry laws vary from state to state, but typically yes, in order to carry a concealed weapon you have to pass a test, go through a background check, etc after which you receive a concealed carry license/permit. Then there is Arizona where any Joe Shmo can carry a concealed weapon, without permit, registration or anything. The Wild West Lives!

edit: That's not really fair to Arizona, I believe you have to take a gun safety class down there in order to get a conceal carry permit.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Cardinals wrote: I grew up in poverty in a single parent home. My mom never made more than $20,000 a year. We got by due to budgeting, living within our means and didn't take any government handouts. So I don't have a "Screw 'em, let em rot" mentality. I have a "I did it, so you can too if you try" mentality. Me and Gabe have talked about this numerous times, it is the one thing we agree on politically because we both had nothing growing up and were raised by single mothers. The government should help out children and the elderly, those that really really need it
I'm with Aaron on this one. We were both raised by hard working, kick-ass women in small towns without a lot of options. They figured it out, and they made it work. I lean left on most political issues, and I am in favor of the government lending a helping hand, but the fact is Welfare in this country is out of control. And a lot of the people on it just keep popping out more kids, as opposed to working and trying to better their situation like our Moms did. Believe me, we know what poor is, but we also both know you can survive it and overcome it by acting responsibly and intelligently. Welfare gives way too many people the option to be irresponsible and dumb with no consequences. It's a broken system that needs to be fixed...

...Much like gun control in this country. People have the right to own guns. I believe that 100%. There's way too many out there now to ever think about trying to ban them completely. Plus I'm not too keen on the idea of a heavily armored government overseeing a weaponless country.

But still - background checks and evaluations on anyone who wants to buy automatic weapons. Cry about it. I don't care. You want to own a deadly weapon? Fine. We need to at least attempt to weed out the crazies. Sorry you have to wait a day or two to play with your murderous "toy" for "sport." You'll get over it.

"Criminals will get their guns somewhere else." Yeah, some will. We can't stop all crime, doesn't mean we can't stop some. We really need to find a way to prevent these mass murder situations, and eliminating assault weapons is a big step towards that. Will there still be gun murders? Of course, people are insane, there's no way around it. But we can make it harder for people to turn themselves into domestic terrorists and easily kill large numbers of citizens in seconds. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Some people just need to get over it and drop their guns. It'll be okay. You'll find other ways to make yourself feel like a man.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Sorry, not trying to be a dick...but anyone who still believes the "heavily armored government overseeing a weaponless country" idea needs to take their head out of the sand.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Funny. I think anyone who thinks everything would be just fine if only the government was armed needs to take their head of the "sand."
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

First off, I never said nobody should be armed, second off..its 2013, not 1813. To say that everything would be not ok if we didnt have weapons is nothing but a conspiracy theory and someone who severally dislikes the government.
Astros

Post by Astros »

How did not having weapons work out for people living under Hitler, or Stalin, or numerous other dictators?
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Perfect example Aaron. I'll consider that a valid response if you can tell me the last dictator the US had in the last 200 years.

Return to “The Dumpster”