Greatest of All Time Championship Series

A place specifically for trash talk, check your sensitivities at the door. If you're offended, leave this area.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Greatest of All Time Championship Series

Post by Astros »

The #1 overall seed 1927 Yankees, who have lost one game the entire tournament, squaring off against the 15 seed Colorado Rockies. If this was a WWF tournament in 1988 it would be Andre the Giant vs Koko B. Ware. We'll start the series tomorrow. Congratulations on this run Nate, when I was filling out the bracket and got to the Rockies I thought well Nate's fucked and out after round 1 but boy was I wrong.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Re: Greatest of All Time Championship Series

Post by Rockies »

Definitely never thought I would make it all the way here, that's for sure. It's been a fun and wild ride, and I have zero expectations of a win against Murderers Row - but hey, maybe a miracle will happen.

"I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ballclub. I just want to give it my best shot, and god willing things will work out."
WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

Yanks in 5, LFG

JP get my banner ready!
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Yankees wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:42 pm Yanks in 5, LFG

JP get my banner ready!
I'm shocked you're giving me at least 1 game in your prediction! Rocks in 6! LFG! :lol:
Astros

Post by Astros »

GOAT Game 1

Yankee Stadium was sold out for Game 1, as the economic boom times of the Harding administration allow for plenty of leisure activity. Since it is 1927 there's no broadcast on tv for a majority of the series, leaving MLB Network in a pickle. Also, congratulations to Dexter Fowler for breaking the color line retroactively.

As has been my policy, I don't do a detailed recap of blowouts and this one was a laugher just like we all expected. An 8-0 two hit shut out. FOR THE ROCKIES! Ubaldo Jimenez allows 2 hits in 7 innings, Josh Fogg and Matt Belisle finish it off. Ubaldo also knocked in 2 runs, and Ian Stewart and Fowler knocked in 3. Pat Collins and Max Koenig had the only Yankee hits.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Cardinals wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:03 am GOAT Game 1

Yankee Stadium was sold out for Game 1, as the economic boom times of the Harding administration allow for plenty of leisure activity. Since it is 1927 there's no broadcast on tv for a majority of the series, leaving MLB Network in a pickle. Also, congratulations to Dexter Fowler for breaking the color line retroactively.

As has been my policy, I don't do a detailed recap of blowouts and this one was a laugher just like we all expected. An 8-0 two hit shut out. FOR THE ROCKIES! Ubaldo Jimenez allows 2 hits in 7 innings, Josh Fogg and Matt Belisle finish it off. Ubaldo also knocked in 2 runs, and Ian Stewart and Fowler knocked in 3. Pat Collins and Max Koenig had the only Yankee hits.
Proof that Aaron cheats...
Astros

Post by Astros »

Game 2

The Rockies jumped ahead in the first, scoring two runs on a Brad Hawpe single and a Tulo ground out. Lou Gehrig scored on a Pat Collins sac fly in the 2nd to cut the lead in half. A bases loaded single by Babe Ruth in the 3rd scored two and a bases loaded walk later in the inning made it 4-2. The Babe would homer leading off the 5th to make it 5-2. The Rockies threatened in the 8th, getting runners at the corners with two out before Hawpe grounded out. The Yankees even up the series headed to Coors.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Sorry to be that guy but Harding died in 1923 😁
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Astros

Post by Astros »

Giants wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:47 pm Sorry to be that guy but Harding died in 1923 😁
It's an alternate history Jake! Damn! I meant Coolidge, not having been at work since the second week of March has me rusty
Astros

Post by Astros »

Game 3

An RBI groundout by starter Aaron Cook gave the Rocks a 1-0 lead after two, but it would be short lived as Bob Meusel hit a two run homer to left in the third inning to make it 2-1. Following a Todd Helton single and Brad Hawpe double to lead off the 3rd, Tulo cracked a double to put Colorado ahead. The following inning a bases loaded single by Tulo scored Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez to make it 5-2.Tony Lazzeri would single in the 5th to score Meusel to make it 5-3. Seth Smith pinch hit for Cook in the 5th and lined a two run homer to right center. The Rockies broke it open with a six run 6th inning to make it 13-3 and won the game 13-5 to take a 2 games to 1 lead.
Astros

Post by Astros »

Game 4

Colorado was first on the board, with Carlos Gonzalez scoring on a bases loaded groundout by Tulo in the first to make it 1-0. CarGo's bases loaded single in the second scored Chris Ianetta and Clint Barmes to put the Rockies up 3-0. The Yankees would take the lead in the 4th with a big inning thanks to an RBI single by Babe Ruth and RBI doubles by Tony Lazzeri and Pat Collins to make the score 4-3. A sac fly by Barmes would tie the game in the bottom of the inning. Ruth led off the 5th with a line drive over the right field wall to put NY ahead by a run again. Tulo led off the 5th with a walk, swiped second, advanced to 3rd on a sac fly and came home on a sac fly to tie the game at 5. Ryan Spilborghs led off the 6th with a pinch hit double, but advanced no further. With two away in the 9th, Ruth went opposite field just over the glove of Brad Hawpe for his second homer of the game to give the Yanks a one run lead. Colorado went down in order in the 9th as the Yankees evened the series at two
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Wow - there must be a "no intentional walk" rule in this series, because with two out in the 9th, bases empty, at Coors Field, I don't think one pitches to 1927 Babe Ruth!
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

I mean, yeah.. thats tough. Who's after him? (Lou)

Plus, the whole "don't put the winning run on base" unwritten rule.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Rockies wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 am I mean, yeah.. thats tough. Who's after him? (Lou)

Gehrig is the ultimate lineup protection, but I still would take my chances pitching to Lou with Babe on 1st than pitch to him. Maybe walk both of them?
Astros

Post by Astros »

DBacks wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 am
Rockies wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 am I mean, yeah.. thats tough. Who's after him? (Lou)

Gehrig is the ultimate lineup protection, but I still would take my chances pitching to Lou with Babe on 1st than pitch to him. Maybe walk both of them?
Then you have Tony Lazzeri, hard to pitch around 3 straight HOFers
Astros

Post by Astros »

Game 5

The Yankees move a game away from the title with a 15-4 win at Coors Field. Babe Ruth crushed 3 home runs and drove in 7.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Cardinals wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:25 pm
DBacks wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 am

Then you have Tony Lazzeri, hard to pitch around 3 straight HOFers
It would be interesting to run expected outcomes on the different possibilities. My gut instinct is strongly not to pitch to Ruth even with Gehrig batting next.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Cardinals wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:59 am Game 5

The Yankees move a game away from the title with a 15-4 win at Coors Field. Babe Ruth crushed 3 home runs and drove in 7.
Imagine Babe having a career in Coors.. :shock:
Astros

Post by Astros »

Game 6

The series starts with an 8-0 shutout and ends with an 8-0 shutout. Urban Shocker allows 5 hits in 8 scoreless innings, the Yanks score 8 runs on 9 singles and one double and claim their spot as the greatest team in the history of our sport. The Rockies come close to being the greatest underdog to win it all since George Washington at Yorktown
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Well done, Aaron. Thanks for giving us some fake baseball to follow.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

It was a good run.. But ended how I expected. Thanks for doing this Aaron.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Thanks, Aaron - that was very enjoyable, except for the parts where my favorite teams lost. 8)
Astros

Post by Astros »

Y'all are more than welcome. Gave me something to do every day the past 6 weeks, I worked a hell of a lot harder on this than I did any lesson plans

Return to “The Dumpster”