HOF

A place specifically for trash talk, check your sensitivities at the door. If you're offended, leave this area.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

HOF

Post by Guardians »

How in the world are Harold Baines and Lee Smith in the Hall of Fame? Smith is third all time in saves, so maybe that's quasi defensible. Baines was just a good hitter/dh, but has only 38.7 career WAR. He just happened to last 20 years.

Apparently, baseball is now basketball, where any decent player is enshrined.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Re: HOF

Post by Astros »

Harold Baines is the epitome of what someone thought a good player was in the 80s, a guy who accumulated counting stats. If he'd been healthier the last 10 years of his career he would've had 3000 hits and would've went in on his first ballot (Nick Markakis has an outside chance at that and it'll be fascinating to see what happens if he does). I don't see how he got on 12 of 16 ballots but Will Clark only got on 5, if you were going to select a hitter from that group, or if you took a poll of pitchers or fans and asked who would you rather face, Clark or Baines, I think the answer would be fairly obvious.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Actually happy for Smith. He did put up 6 seasons of a 2+ WAR as a RP in an era where RP wasn't valued as much. Also, he still remains as one of only 13 pitchers in the history of MLB to ever pitch over 1,000 G during a career. That's pretty remarkable as well.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I can't for the life of me understand why Scott Rolen gets so few votes. His offensive numbers are better than some already in the hall, then throw in the fact that he's maybe the greatest defensive 3rd baseman of all time, he should've been in. Hopefully he'll start the gain momentum next year. I don't think Larry Walker gets in next year which is absurd. Schilling not being in yet because people don't like his politics is also ridiculous.

Two guys that fell off the ballot this year in their first year that shouldn't have were Oswalt and Berkman. Not saying they're hall of famers but I would've like to have seen a case built for each of them over the years.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Great HOF class overall. Think we’re getting close to our first roid guy going in...

Agreed on Rolen...and very interested on Larry Walker next year. Think Jeter being the only sure thing going on the ballot next year is going to be a huge help for those gainers.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

"Schilling not being in yet because people don't like his politics is also ridiculous."
Schilling not getting in has nothing to do with his politics. The MLB (and sports in general) is loaded with conservative players. Schilling is struggling to get in because he acts like an asshole and has a propensity for fucking people over (see his failed video game business). Pretty hard to win a popularity contest (which is what the HoF is) when you act like an asshole.

Overall, good class by the BBWAA this year. The committees may have to be disbanded though, what a freaking mess.

Return to “The Dumpster”