2014 Playoff Power Rankings

Power rankings are posted here using the Power Ranking Editor
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

2014 Playoff Power Rankings

Post by Yankees »

Here's the first go for the new committee...They'll get better.

1. Pirates – It should surprise no one that a team that a lineup that includes Trout, Puig, Kinsler, and Wright, and will play behind Hamels, Wainwright, Haren, and a strong pen. If this were real life, there would be concerns with Wainwright coming off a 44 start season…but this isn’t.

2. Phillies – If anyone takes down JP this year, it will come before the World Series, and it will come from Nick. This team is loaded, from a lineup featuring Donadlson, McCutchen, Ellsbury, and Utley, to a rotation that will run out Zimmerman, Peavy, & Samardzija. This top isn’t as top as JP’s top, but this club will be a contender for years to come.

3. Red Sox – Patrick took a very deep team and pushed it all on the next few years, and it looks like it will pay off. Hudson and Scherzer will be a tough 1-2 pitching before a dynamic bullpen. The hitting lags a little behind the pitching, but guys like Hamilton, Ortiz, Martin, Napoli, Zimmerman, and Walker can all hurt you.

4. Dodgers – Despite winning 99 games, the Dodgers will be a 4th seed in the West, but a team I think can do some damage. If Hellickson can provide valuable innings behind Lohse and Ryu, it could be enough to make a run behind a phenomenal bullpen, and a very powerful offense.

5. Tigers – Despite a terrific season, Pat’s team may consider this a bit of a lost season without lineup anchor Paul Goldschmidt. This is a season of good, but not good enough. The lineup is good, but not good enough without Goldschmidt, the pitching is good but not elite, and the pen is strong but not dominant. Pat has set himself up for a terrific future, and could make a run to the AL Finals, but it will take some doing to make the World Series over Tullar.

6. Marlins – In an honest moment, I don’t think Dan would decry this season as a success. Many of his players have fallen off a cliff…but that doesn’t count in the SIM. Any team that will front Price, Verlander, and Buehrle in this SIM will have a shot, and they are backed by a deep, but not dynamic lineup. A shorter series would be in Dan’s wheelhouse, as they may get exposed in an incredibly deep NL over 7 games.

7. Rangers – Not set up perfectly for the post-season this year, Brett’s team will be a pain in the ass for years to come. Bullpen depth is thin, and the loss of Darvish is probably the death blow in the hopes for a ring. You’re certainly never out of a game with Miguel Cabrera in your lineup, but they’re going to need huge performances out of Hanley and Gordon to prop up an otherwise average lineup.

8. Blue Jays – Running out Cliff Lee and Mike Minor would make any series a challenge for the opposition, especially combined with a deep (but not sexy) lineup. Without Lee or Minor, the Jays will face a tremendous uphill battle, as they will surely have the second best rotation in any series they make.

Knocked Out:

Reds – This team would have had a prayer in the AL, but was the sacrificial lamb in the NL. The rotation is mediocre and hittable, the bullpen is deep but not dynamic, and the lineup is deep but struggles in BA and OBP. Ken is a SIM wiz, but his wizardry this year is probably just making the playoffs…anything else would have been a miracle.

Orioles – With more strikeout pitchers in the playoffs, Steve’s offense would seem to get exposed in 1 game…but over a 7 game series you never would have known, and if hot/cold players like Alvarez, Kemp, Moustakas, Phillips, Gomez, Davis, and Heyward got hot at the right time, they could have made it a difficult series for anyone. The rotation and bullpen were both solid.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Not enough pictures of hot chicks
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Tough Crowd
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

We'll put together 1 or 2 cool power rankings each year, but the idea is we'll put these out every couple weeks so that it's easier for people to follow the league.

Good work, Z. I like how my recap is all past tense like an obituary.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

I got a rankings for season end, but the songs are slightly dependent upon how the playoffs turn out. I can add in random hot chicks just for the hell of it too...but the write-ups would be song based.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Angels wrote:I got a rankings for season end, but the songs are slightly dependent upon how the playoffs turn out. I can add in random hot chicks just for the hell of it too...but the write-ups would be song based.
We're planning an end of season/look into the offseason rankings. The point of doing this committee style was to keep it consistently going.

Return to “Power Rankings”